gayrugbyman

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:49 am

A new, much needed thread, to report confirmed happenings at Manchester Airport.

This week we ha announcements from Jet2 on new services to Ibiza and Palma.

SkyEurope announced fligs to Salzburg.

Monarch Scheduled announced flighs to Mahon.

TimRees

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:51 am

That's better...starting a new thread! Far more informative than the MAN-BOS worn out one.

7LBAC111

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:53 am

And thus far this one contains actual real life facts ... lol
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

Capital146

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:54 am

Jet2's MAN-VLC looks like sticking around as seats for summer 2006 have gone on sale today, a few wondered whether it was performing well but seems it must be doing ok.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

mainMAN

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:30 am

I find it a bit strange that winter MAN - EDI and AMS aren't on sale yet. I did wonder if they hadn't decided on the continuation of EDI, but surely not AMS. In the meantime, I've booked with KLM.

Quoting TimRees (Reply 1):
That's better...starting a new thread! Far more informative than the MAN-BOS worn out one.

You could have started your very own......eh?  Smile

Capital146

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:41 am

I'm sure i've seen on Jet2's website in the past couple of weeks that seats for EDI for the winter will be released soon. Not sure about AMS though, Jet2 are releasing seats for winter 05/06 and Summer 2006 on a staggered basis (only the spanish destinations having seats on sale for next summer already). The next few weeks will show what is staying and what (if anything) is going. I hear a few people are sweating over the BFS-BOH route though.  Wink

mainMAN

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:55 am

Capital 146,

I got so sick of looking at the site, that I just gave up. They've been saying 'soon to come' for sooooo long now.

There's nothing there at all to suggest that BFS-BOH will be continued.

Bhxforever,

Are things so deathly quiet in Birmingham that you have to live vicariously through us?

Capital146

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:09 am

Quoting Capital146 (Reply 5):
I hear a few people are sweating over the BFS-BOH route though.

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 7):
There's nothing there at all to suggest that BFS-BOH will be continued.

Exactly, same as LBA-BGY a couple of years ago, fear the worst!

However, on the subject of MAN, and on a more positive note, Jet2 will also be operating a brand new 5 x weekly service to Chambery this winter, together with reinstating the daily GVA service (twice daily Sat and Sun).

So that's the LS and ZB news on this thread so far, what other positive stuff is happening at MAN??

gayrugbyman

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:10 am

As stated before, Jet2 are in serious danger of losing their customer base for AMS and EDI by procrastinating wih winter flgiht sales. We are just 12 weeks away from the end of the current timetable, and I needed to book a flight to AMS for early November. No Je2 available so booked with KLM.

I am one of many I am sure.

gayrugbyman

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:14 am

Let's not forget the Central and Eastern European expnasion that has happened at MAN over the past few months: Riga, Minsk, Budapest, Dubrovnik, Krakow, Bratislava and Tallinn.

Bulgaria Air have also announced new scheduled services to Sofia from October.

Seems this might be the fastest growing area for MAN..?

mainMAN

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:27 am

Eastern Europe is certainly growing from MAN; all we need now is Moscow!!

Apart from ZB and LS, there isn't too much to report on. Someone was convinced that something big would be announced this week (on pprune.org), but nothing was......

As far as long haul expansion goes, Jul/Aug is way too early for any announcements to start next summer, 2006.

flycro

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:47 am

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 11):
As far as long haul expansion goes, Jul/Aug is way too early for any announcements to start next summer, 2006.

AA announced NCL-NYC last week so Jul/Aug is not too early for longhaul expansion announcements, has Man missed the boat again?

mhodgson

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:52 am

I'm sure I had an email from Jet2 offering AMS for winter - or was that solely from LBA?
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Capital146

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:56 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 13):
I'm sure I had an email from Jet2 offering AMS for winter - or was that solely from LBA?

Just LBA at the mo, though I can definately vouch LBA is lovely too.  Wink I'd be gobsmacked if AMS is not announced soon from MAN.

col

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:58 am

Unfortunately, MAN seems to be an almost ran airport. Without serious based airlines offering good feeds, then it's growth will be only on LCC. No service to NRT, HKG, BKK and South Africa needs sorting quickly.

Airport looked like a dump in April/May, will see how it looks on Sunday, CO 752 over, back home on the 762.

Col

mainMAN

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:00 am

Quoting Flycro (Reply 12):
AA announced NCL-NYC last week so Jul/Aug is not too early for longhaul expansion announcements, has Man missed the boat again?

That's a good point. Maybe AA announced NCL so early because of CO's expansion. It's obvious that NCL was on the CO radar too.

What do you mean by missed the boat? The last long haul to start in MAN were Syrianair, Zoom and bmi to the Caribbean/Las Vegas. And AA to BOS/MIA, but there's nothing more been announced.

Capital146

Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:03 am

Quoting Col (Reply 15):
Airport looked like a dump in April/May

Wow, as one of MAN's most prominent supporters, that surprises me! You didn't get caught up in a Thomsonfly/Excel rush in T2 I hope!

KennyK

RE: Manchester (man) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:10 am

The more I here of and see of Manchester airport the more impressed I get. I spent a good part of Tuesday afternoon and evening in the viewing park watching an endless stream of aircraft, but it's the heavies that were most impressive.

Manchester is most definitely on the way up, highlights of the day were the Malaysia Airlines 744, Emirates A332 and 777, PIA 744, Cathay 744F and the week before I saw a Qatar Airways A332 and an all white cargo 747, I haven't seen the Singapore 777, Continental 767, Virgin 744 or any BMI A332s but did get to see many charter airline A332s and 767s both times.

Have I missed any regular 'big uns' out?

Makes a change from my first visit many years ago when the only big guy was a laker DC-10.

Keep it coming Manchester.

flycro

RE: Manchester (MAN) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:17 am

PIA can turn up at anytime time due to woefull timekeeping.

mainMAN

RE: Manchester (man) News

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting Col (Reply 15):
Unfortunately, MAN seems to be an almost ran airport. Without serious based airlines offering good feeds, then it's growth will be only on LCC. No service to NRT, HKG, BKK and South Africa needs sorting quickly.

I don't think 22m p.p.a is almost ran.

It'd be great to see NRT, HKG, BKK and SA from MAN. We're constantly being told that ''they're'' working on them and LAX and SFO etc, but it seems to be a slow process.

At the moment, it's pretty well catered for in terms of where people in the North go en masse, and more so when you consider that much of the traffic is O/D, not having any one dominant connecting airline. As a large European airport, MAN is pretty unique in this.

Quoting Col (Reply 15):
Airport looked like a dump in April/May,

This is definitely an issue. They seem to have let maintainance slide a bit. Not sure dump is quite the right word, but some parts of it need attention.

Terminal 1 needs serious remodelling. The front of it's ok, but the check in and parking bits should practically be knocked down and rebuilt.

flycro

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:28 am

London Scareways (BA) get northerners connecting through LHR so it will be a struggle to get longhaul operations upgraded.

mainMAN

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:41 am

BA have always done that, but whereas 15/20 years ago, there were NO (!) longhaul services, now MAN passengers connect increasingly in DXB, DOH, DAM, SIN, KUL, PHL, EWR, ATL, ORD etc

It's pretty good going for a regional airport. The cup is half full!

Capital146

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting Flycro (Reply 20):
London Scareways (BA) get northerners connecting through LHR so it will be a struggle to get longhaul operations upgraded.

I think we all know that scheduled long-haul expansion will come in the form of foreign carriers (unless BD or VS can pull their finger out). One thing is for sure, BA (London Airways) should never be looked on to expand long-haul from MAN, and we don't want their non-commital, half-hearted efforts of expansion at MAN either, even if they were gracious enough to offer it (which is unlikely!). SA)">DL/CO/AA/US/EK/MH/SQ/PK have all shown more interest and commitment to MAN on that score. If MAN could just get SA,TG,JL and maybe NZ then MAN would be cooking on gas. I would have suggested a QF return, but apart from the pathetic Flightline 146 'feed' to LHR (yawn, yet another LHR feed) then I suspect BA will have too much in a say against that.

flycro

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:58 am

Didn't CX pul out of MAN due to the Thirdworld (Oneworld) feed to LHR?

mainMAN

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:04 am

Quoting Capital146 (Reply 22):
pathetic Flightline 146 'feed' to LHR (yawn, yet another LHR feed)

Don't be fooled by the Flightline 146. QF use these to keep hold of their spare LHR slots. QF passengers from MAN use BA to LHR.

They might as well operate the 146s to Blackpool; it'd be cheaper in landing fees!

QF need to sort out their European schedules. They're losing out big time to the competition.

mainMAN

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:08 am

Quoting Flycro (Reply 23):
Didn't CX pul out of MAN due to the Thirdworld (Oneworld) feed to LHR?

It helped. It also had a lot to do with QF ceasing ops too - apparently, although this was never admitted to.

gayrugbyman

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:41 am

BA to serve Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Marrakesh.

Marrakesh will be the only direct scheduled service to Africa from Manchester.

boysteve

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:42 am

Quoting Flycro (Reply 20):

Not sure about this. How many long haul pax from MAN connect at LHR compared to the number that connect through CDG or AMS. Certainly many pax to Asia and Australasia fly via DXB or SIN.

Currently;
MAN-AMS with KL, 7x Daily
MAN-CDG with AF, 6x Daily
MAN-LHR with BA, 11xweekdays/approx 8 at weekends

mainMAN

Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:33 am

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 26):
Marrakesh will be the only direct scheduled service to Africa from Manchester.

And the only service from outside London  Wink

jamman

Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:35 am

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 19):
Terminal 1 needs serious remodeling.

Agreed with knobs on!
Its embarrassing arrivals in Terminal 1 and the current ad hock set up for check in at Terminal 2 is interesting to say the least (check-in desks in arrivals!?)

The Terminal 2 development will obviously be MAN's biggest money priority at the moment and with partial re-development of T1 already done I don't expect the other shabby parts of T1 improved quickly.
The face lifts and expansion plans maybe big bargaining chips for attracting Long Haul carriers, this is where T2 will come into play.
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

mainMAN

Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:59 am

Quoting Jamman (Reply 29):
Its embarrassing arrivals in Terminal 1 and the current ad hock set up for check in at Terminal 2 is interesting to say the least (check-in desks in arrivals!?)

And then the check in desks in the station.......? What's that all about?

KennyK

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:05 pm

Is there any chance of flights to Johannesburg, Hong Kong, Mumbai/Delhi in the not too distant future?

trident2e

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:33 pm

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 27):
Not sure about this. How many long haul pax from MAN connect at LHR compared to the number that connect through CDG or AMS

Quite a lot according to BA, which is why it transferred some of its longhaul services to T1 last year.

David_itl

Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:59 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 24):
QF passengers from MAN use BA to LHR.

The feeder service does attact some passengers, though the favourite amount appears to be somewhat less than 5 per flight.

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 27):
nect at LHR compared to the number that connect through CDG or AMS

FRA + MUC are also attracting large amounts of connecting traffic - LH admitted that 10% of their MAN pax are connecting onto long-haul business class (roughly 40,000 pax per year) which is the reason why the FRA services seem to bumped up in terms of capacity (they were scheduled to go to 3 A321s + 1 737 from winter but not looked recently to see if there's been any alterations) quite reguarly, with A300s thrown into the equation every now and then; certainly would appear to be more attractive than another airlines up to 4 times daily ERJ145 to FRA.

mainMAN

Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:23 am

Quoting David_itl (Reply 33):
The feeder service does attact some passengers, though the favourite amount appears to be somewhat less than 5 per flight.

Very strange situation. It's never been advertised as a connection, nor does it show up on the QF website whe searching for MAN-OZ tickets.

Travel agent friend of mine recently went on a QF freeby to Whitsundays and Melbourne and was booked BA to LHR, QF to SIN and Australian to Cairns.

She had no idea that this flightline connection existed until I told her; nobody from QF had mentioned it.

EGNM-LBA

Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:28 am

Quoting Capital146 (Reply 3):
Jet2's MAN-VLC looks like sticking around as seats for summer 2006 have gone on sale today, a few wondered whether it was performing well but seems it must be doing ok.

Except it operated daily this summer season for 7 months but for 2006 is showing as only 4 weekly for just 4 months - that's quite a reduction. VLC is one of the better routes load wise and so I wouldn't hold out much hope of VCE, PSA and maybe NCE returning at all.

Quoting Capital146 (Reply 22):
think we all know that scheduled long-haul expansion will come in the form of foreign carriers (unless BD or VS can pull their finger out). One thing is for sure, BA (London Airways) should never be looked on to expand long-haul from MAN, and we don't want their non-commital, half-hearted efforts of expansion at MAN either, even if they were gracious enough to offer it (which is unlikely!). SA)">DL/CO/AA/US/EK/MH/SQ/PK have all shown more interest and commitment to MAN on that score.

Read the case studies on the 5th freedom scenarios and you'll see exactly why this is. The UK regional market to places like SIN, KUL, ORD, DXB is completely reliant on UK originating leisure traffic and the existence of onward connections through these hubs. The scenarios also show just how much of the long haul market at MAN comes from passengers outside of the North West so I wouldn't be surprised to see certain of the MAN carriers look to Yorkshire or the Midlands as alternatives to increasing capacity / frequency at MAN - espeically if there are deals to be had.

Egnm

mainMAN

Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:31 am

EGNM-LBA

I wouldn't say precisely that the regional market to DXB/SIN etc is 'completely' reliant on UK originating leisure traffic!! It's more similar than that to LON's traffic, without that massive bulk of First/Business pax, obviously.

I'm not trying to compare LON with MAN any more than that, it's an impossibility.

I was quite impressed last time I was on MH KUL-MAN at firstly, just how many of the pax disembarked from up top and at the front, and then, the mix of nationalities on board.

Quoting LBA" class=quote target=_blank>EGNM-LBA (Reply 35):
I wouldn't be surprised to see certain of the MAN carriers look to Yorkshire or the Midlands as alternatives to increasing capacity / frequency at MAN - espeically if there are deals to be had.

I'd be amazed at this stage. MAN's very fortunate to be regional England's main intercon hub, to the benefit of Yorkshire's ecomomy too, but I think corresponding services from Leeds and Doncaster is slightly pushing the boundaries of credibilty.

I can certainly foresee Yorkshire - New York and Pakistan, for example, but that's about it. Similarly BHX - SIN in the future etc

col

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:41 pm

MainMAN/Capital146,

Maybe dump was a little strong, just did not look good from what I was used to.

I am in UK now, arrived on Sunday on the CO 757 (CO 762 on return thankfully!). From touch down to leaving the airport 2 1/4 hours.
1) Plane arrived 40 mins early - Good.
2) Plane parked and then we waited 20 mins for someone to drive the air bridge!
3) Had to wait for them to get over a problem with getting luggage off the plane. Bag arrived just over an hour after arriving.
4) Budget Car Rental office in T2 closed, no notice or anything, luckily I know they have office in T1.
5) Which crazy Manc thought of putting the 747 operator check in at the station. Never seen such a traffic jam of people with luggage trying to get down the station elevator.
6) Found someone at Budget, but car was at T3 Car park!

All elevators and moving walkways were functioning - well done.
Passport Control people happy and smiling, and happy to have visitors, can we send some of our people to UK for training?
English beer consumption Sunday evevning - wonderful.

Col

cornish

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:49 pm

Quoting KennyK (Reply 31):
Is there any chance of flights to Johannesburg, Hong Kong, Mumbai/Delhi in the not too distant future?

Well JNB is unlikely after BMI dropped the opportunity last year after coming close to announcing it. Although they gave other reasons - I suspect India out of LHR put paid to it.

If it is going to happen then there maybe the possibility Nationwide goes for it with an all-economy/premium economy service a la their LGW operation, but they are having terrible trouble getting the required rights for more Europe services out of South Africa.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Billy

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:27 pm

Just to pick up on a number mentioned earlier, but I make it 185,000 passengers who route via FRA and use it as a hub. The number mentioned was 40,000 - way too low. FRA itself is a very small city and commands little local traffic from MAN.

David_itl

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:56 am

Quoting Billy (Reply 39):
The number mentioned was 40,000 - way too low.

But is correct statistic from the LH regional manager for what I was quoting - long-haul business class; I didn't want to spend all weekend tracking down the exact wording but he said 10% of their annual 400,000 pax are the l-h biz class travellers. Not yet noticed any prospective change of type on their HAM run for winter yet - it's meant to be bumped up to "80-100 seaters" according to a recent article in the local rag.

Edited to add that bmi is to go to 3 weekly to BGI from 24th October, despite VS starting operations to there as well.

David

[Edited 2005-08-08 20:13:41]

trident2e

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:00 am

Quoting Col (Reply 37):
I am in UK now, arrived on Sunday on the CO 757 (CO 762 on return thankfully!). From touch down to leaving the airport 2 1/4 hours.

Was this your first time at MAN? If not, was the experience typical? I would suggest it wasn't - everyone has their bad experiences sometimes, unfortunatley this was one of yours.

mainMAN

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:52 am

Col

Welcome to the UK, we've even sorted the weather out.

Quoting Col (Reply 37):
Maybe dump was a little strong, just did not look good from what I was used to.

It is a concern. I remember in the 1980s and early 90s MAN was consistently voted one of the world's best. From what I've read on here and elsewhere, the management don't bother responding to letters, and they don't seem to give a toss about aesthetics and getting bags off planes. Not good enough.

Odd that Budget car rental was closed, at a time when all the heavies were arriving. Staffing problems, I wonder?

I don't think MAN is alone in time taken to get out. It always takes me 2+ hours to get through MEL. Authorities there seem to think it's ok to despatch 2000 people on various 777s and 340s using 2 immigration officials.

mainMAN

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:56 am

Quoting David_itl (Reply 40):
Not yet noticed any prospective change of type on their HAM run for winter yet

I read that too; obviously Air Berlin haven't had the desired LCC effect and obliterated LH. Maybe BACX could learn a thing or two!

EGNM-LBA

Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:35 am

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 36):
I wouldn't say precisely that the regional market to DXB/SIN etc is 'completely' reliant on UK originating leisure traffic!! It's more similar than that to LON's traffic, without that massive bulk of First/Business pax, obviously.

Ok, fair enough. But almost every route analysed had the UK originating element in excess of 80%.

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 36):

I'd be amazed at this stage. MAN's very fortunate to be regional England's main intercon hub, to the benefit of Yorkshire's ecomomy too, but I think corresponding services from Leeds and Doncaster is slightly pushing the boundaries of credibilty.

But if these routes are supported entirely by pax from the UK, it means it purely boils down to a numbers game. The more people you have in the catchment area, the more likely it is a given route will succeed. As it stands, the 5million+ catchment of Yorkshire is added on the the North West to give MAN a very nice market to play with when touting airlines. But given that Scotland has a catchment of 5million also and that currently supports EK, US, AA, CO + a healthy US / Canada charter programme I do think you need to think again whether similar services from Yorks is "pushing the boundaries of creditbility". Have Peel really spent �80m+ on an airport with all the infrastructure to support direct long-haul ops, to then sit back and watch hundreds of thousands of punters drive past their front door over to MAN. I guess time will tell.

As for MAN being beneficial for the Yorks economy - I'd say that's not different to saying that Heathrow is beneficial to the North West (or any other UK region). Interpret that as you will.

egnm

BDKLEZ

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:12 am

Source: flybmi.com

bmi is to increase its direct Manchester to Barbados service to three flights a week from 24 October 2005.

The additional service will operate on Mondays, complementing the existing services operating on Wednesdays and Fridays, and offering more flexibility and choice to travellers who wish to combine a wider range of night stops as well as travel to other Caribbean destinations.

Flights will be operated on an Airbus A330 aircraft featuring the airline's award winning three-class cabin product, including 'the business' which features bmi's...etc etc etc

With the involvement of the much talked about Icelandair 757 of late, would it not be more of a productive business move for the company to tranfer this aircraft to the above and move the planned 332 back to MAN-IAD, from which is has so sorely and controversially missed. Or is MAN-IAD soon to be a thing of the past, as has been rumoured, so in the eyes of the company it probably isn't worth even thinking about.

[Edited 2005-08-08 22:12:59]
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

gayrugbyman

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:34 am

MAN - IAD is almost full between now and the day it finishes, according to BMI ticket desk at MAN. Looks like alot of MAN staff and BMI staff too are taking advantae while it still runs!

trident2e

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:23 am

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 42):
It is a concern. I remember in the 1980s and early 90s MAN was consistently voted one of the world's best. From what I've read on here and elsewhere, the management don't bother responding to letters, and they don't seem to give a toss about aesthetics and getting bags off planes. Not good enough.

MAN still has a customer relations manager (I know her well) so it simply is not true that they don't respsnd to letters. Baggage handling is undertaken by handling agents, NOT Manchester Airport, so your comment about bags is way off the mark as well. If bags don't get delivered quickly enough it's because the airlines pay their handling agents only for minimum staffing levels.

gayrugbyman

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:14 pm

Alpha Retail are to open a new 'Arrivals Shop' at Terminal 1 in October. Work is well underway, and forms part of the T1 Arrivals refurbishment scheme.

Perhaps M&S Simply Food should have thought of this location before it opted for the Station....which it will be vacating soon asM&S Simply Food have decided to close their operation at Manchester Airport.

Roll on Tesco Metro!

TIMC

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:32 pm

Something interesting has been going on at MAN near to the car parks recently.

They have been building a lot there recently, until a few weeks back, the ramp/taxiway there were in their original positions. As the new area has taken shape, the barriers have start to move outwards, to allow more movement on the new area, although I've not seen any planes on it yet.

At first, I was told this new area was going to be an A380 terminal, then somebody told me it was for PIA, now I'm not sure. There aren't any structures on it yet, so I'm just wondering whether its a ramp extension.

As for checking in at the station... from someone who works on that flight occasionally, it is a bit silly to have check in desks there. The queues become massive, and there isn't too much you can do to alleviate it. How anyone can pass through there when Air Atlanta is checking in is beyond me.

Mostly, I work upstairs in T2 departures, just near the escalator, there is a sign saying the Excel Airwarys, check in desks 201-208 are downstairs. This sign is like an A3 piece of cardboard. The amount of people I get to me in the course of a day coming and saying "Excuse me, where is desk 201?" is unbelievable. People don't associate check-in desks with arrivals, so its silly to have them down there!

One funny consequence of it though is that my brother recently went on XLA to Corfu... it dawned on us all that you check in at those desks, then when you come home, you come through arrivals, and you're back at those desks again! Hows that for a round trip?