Frontiercpt
Topic Author

Is This Picture Real!?

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:45 am

Hey everyone, I was just looking around Frank Stewards website, and discovered this picture, and I wanted to know if it is really a real picture.

Porter

Avianca

RE: Is This Picture Real!?

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:47 am

never ever!

regards
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Northwest717

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:50 am

What they did was they cropped and combined pictures from both a landing AC jet and an ex-AF jet that was having testing done (i.e. what happens when a bomb goes off in a pressurized cargo bay).

-Tim  Wink
Dubai: Center of the 21st Century

ChrisH

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:50 am

It is a known fake. A composite of 2 images. Well done though.
what seems to be the officer, problem?

Frontiercpt
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:51 am

Aviance, ya, I was like, uhm, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...... Can that even happen?  sarcastic  Oh, by the way, if anyone wants to see the website, it is www.franksteward.com
Porter

backfire

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:51 am

No - it's been kicking around for a long time. It's a composite of Air Canada 747 and photographs of luggage-hold explosion tests on a 747 airframe in the UK.

kc135topboom

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:53 am

No, it is not real. It is trying to look like either an explosion of the aft cargo compartment, or a very bad tail strike on landing (the spoilers are deploying). Either way, the main deck is buckling and frames deformed, but the (very thinned skinned) upper section of the fuselarge/emmpenarge and tail is still straight and function (look at the elevators).

sevenheavy

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:00 am

Yes, that picture is indeed real.

In fact this is the reason that AC stopped serving curry in Y class - it was playing havoc with their operation while they patched up the damaged aircraft Wink

Regards,

SevenHeavy
So long 701, it was nice knowing you.

GQfluffy

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:13 am

So that's what that smell was....
This isn't where I parked my car...

AlanUK

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:29 am

LOL!! this is such a refreshing thread!!!

Alan.

boeingfever777

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:51 am

Kind of looks like this pic abit.

Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

jetdeltamsy

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:02 am

it was an experimental flight and expected to blow up. i can't remember the details, but i've seen it brought up in the forum before. the a/c was white with no markings and touched up.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

CORULEZ05

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:04 am

I actually was asking the same question regarding that pic. It was a topic of conversation at the YYZ meet. Turns out it is a fake!!!! I was gonna say, for that much damage to occur...must of been one really hard landing!
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

MATURRO727

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:11 am

Also you can see its fake because in the front section of the fuselage the airplane is what we can call clean, but the blown section is completely dirty.

MATURRO727

EMBQA

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:43 am

Hey everyone, I was just looking around Frank Stewards website, and discovered this picture, and I wanted to know if it is really a real picture.

Here's a question..? What do you think...? Since there is no record of an Air Canada Boeing 747 expoloding on landing, I'd say no.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

JeffSFO

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:57 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 10):
Kind of looks like this pic abit.

It's a very nice fake adapted from that photo series. I had to make the following diagram to convince my father (a retired airline pilot) that image was just a fancy composite job:

http://www.manjulajeyapalanmd.com/pics/fake.jpg

grimey

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:11 am

Quoting Frontiercpt (Reply 4):
Aviance, ya, I was like, uhm, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...... Can that even happen? Oh, by the way, if anyone wants to see the website, it is www.franksteward.com
Porter

Yeh, there are some other good fakes on his website.

Grimey

AeroVodochody

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:28 am

Fake.

Very Very Very Good fake.

But fake.

Aero
Try not to be jealous, we can't all be Czech.

Starlionblue

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:33 am

I think we slashdotted the Frank Steward website. It's not doing very well  Wink
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

smcmac32msn

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:34 am

I like the idea that it was an AF plane more than a British plane... look at how dirty it is.... speaking of dirty... when is NW going to get rid of the DC-9s???

JUST KIDDING!!! That is a well done crop job.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

HPnonrev99

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:26 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 14):
Here's a question..? What do you think...? Since there is no record of an Air Canada Boeing 747 expoloding on landing, I'd say no.

Way to pic on somebody who is only 14-ish. I hope for your sake you don't have kids. Maybe next time instead of being an a$$, you can see who is asking the question!!!
Coming soon to an airport near you.

We're Nuts

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:30 am

How many times can Airliners.net members say "no"?   

[Edited 2005-08-08 01:32:07]
Dear moderators: No.

positiverate

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:48 am

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 15):
had to make the following diagram to convince my father (a retired airline pilot) that image was just a fancy composite job

Your dad couldn't tell this was a fake?

wukka

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:52 am

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 22):

And, by photo alone, you could tell that this was an obvious fake how? I'd really like to know so that I can make better photoshops in the future.

"I know that AC never had a 74 explode on touchdown" isn't an answer.

By photo alone.
We can agree to disagree.

positiverate

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:07 pm

Quoting Wukka (Reply 23):
And, by photo alone, you could tell that this was an obvious fake how? I'd really like to know so that I can make better photoshops in the future.

"I know that AC never had a 74 explode on touchdown" isn't an answer.

By photo alone.

Knowing that AC never had a structural failure of a 747 like that on touchdown is enough of a reason. But since you asked, the first thing I looked at was compression in the struts. Seeing none, combined with the above mentioned fact, was enough for me. By photo alone, db.

And I'm not even an airline pilot...

Gasman

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:15 pm

It is completely real, and shame on all the cynical & sacrcastic ignoramuses on this website claiming otherwise.

Unbenownst to most aviation enthusiasts, the 787 is not the first Boeing aircraft to make use of composites. During the oil shock of the 1970s, early production 747-200s were designed using "enthusiastic" portions of a new composite polymer, which was largely composed of melted down Ginsu knives and UHU glue. Wind tunnnel tests were encouraging, but rather than waste valuable kerosene on actual flight tests, Boeing instead decided to flick the prototype off onto Air Canada (at least partly in retaliation for Canada having grabbed the best half of the Niagara falls).

Apart from a curious tendency to stretch during takeoff, the aircraft flew completely uneventfully for 5 days, until this rather heavy landing during a thunderstorm at YYZ. Legend has it the wreck was sold to a fledgling aircraft manufacturer in Toulouse, whereupon the upper deck was removed and the refurbished aircraft sold to Air France, at a cost of 340 million dollars.

wukka

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:34 pm

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 24):
Knowing that AC never had a structural failure of a 747 like that on touchdown is enough of a reason. But since you asked, the first thing I looked at was compression in the struts. Seeing none, combined with the above mentioned fact, was enough for me.

Hey... It wasn't a shot at you. No harm. I was just curious about what made it look fake to you.

The lack of compression could be argued, though... as the original pics were, in fact, of a 747 on touchdown and another of a 747 cargo hold blowing open during testing. That being said, an explosion in the cargo hold wouldn't necessarily cause any excessive compression of the gear, in fact, it may even lift the rear of the craft up a bit, since the equivalent of a blast fence in the form of the runway is present.

As a photoshop enthusiast, as well, I was just looking for other visual cues that make this so obviously fake.

Thanks in advance.

JeffSFO

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:34 pm

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 22):

Evidently not. That's why I told him he should stick to flying the planes and I should stick to computer graphics (which is what I do). He won't listen to me until I can prove something beyond a reasonable doubt.

Incidentally, he thinks this photo was faked and I've tried to convince him otherwise but he won't budge:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gary Watt - AirTeamImages

He's stubborn that way and doesn't like to admit he's wrong.

-Jeff

squirrel83

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:03 pm

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 27):
Evidently not. That's why I told him he should stick to flying the planes and I should stick to computer graphics (which is what I do). He won't listen to me until I can prove something beyond a reasonable doubt.

Incidentally, he thinks this photo was faked and I've tried to convince him otherwise but he won't budge:

This would be a very hard picture to fake! - -
A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser

AirWillie6475

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:03 pm

I'm pretty sure that photo is real.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:17 pm

Quoting Wukka (Reply 23):
And, by photo alone, you could tell that this was an obvious fake how?

Question to those who thought this might be a real photo...

What did you think was happening in the picture? You wondering if it was a tail strike? Or were you throwing a bomb into the mix? That hole was caused by an explosion. This is very obvious even before you determine fake or not. A tail strike would not result in this kind of event. So by photo alone, comon sense prevails!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

wukka

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:32 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 30):
Question to those who thought this might be a real photo...

What did you think was happening in the picture? You wondering if it was a tail strike? Or were you throwing a bomb into the mix? That hole was caused by an explosion. This is very obvious even before you determine fake or not. A tail strike would not result in this kind of event. So by photo alone, comon sense prevails!

I know that it's a manipulated image. Where did I say that it was real? ...and if not, why are you quoting me?

I was, however, as a Photoshop enthusiast, wondering why that picture is so unbelievable? No more, no less. I said nothing about a tailstrike. In fact, I was thinking about the guy with a camera that caught a shot of someone's Samsonite blowing bolts in the cargo bay of that AC747 that we never heard about.

Let me say it again... I know it's not real. I was trying to understand the so-called obvious photoshopping of the picture.

Hypothetical: You know nothing about aviation and aviation history and are shown this picture... what makes it so obvious that this is fake? Can I make the question any simpler?

fixplanes2

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:53 pm

In the digital photo age, now....you can only trust the photo you took yourself. No others.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:45 pm

Quoting Wukka (Reply 31):
I know that it's a manipulated image. Where did I say that it was real? ...and if not, why are you quoting me?

I used your quote because while you might not have believed it was real, there are some that do. My response was directed towards those that shared your question, only they were being serious about it being real. And I did respond to your question I quoted...my answer was "common sense".

Now, I do get what you were asking, but at first it was hard to tell from your original response. It did appear you were trying to raise an argument for it being real.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

wukka

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:58 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 33):
Now, I do get what you were asking, but at first it was hard to tell from your original response. It did appear you were trying to raise an argument for it being real.

Did you miss reading the rest of my post, which included, "I'd really like to know so that I can make better photoshops in the future.

"I know that AC never had a 74 explode on touchdown" isn't an answer."

...before you jumped on the quote-selected reply button?

"Common sense" still doesn't answer my question about the manipulated picture! I was simply curious as to what made this particular picture, historical crash data and statistics aside, so unbelievable.

We're Nuts

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:58 pm

A much more bewildering question, perhaps even the proverbial elephant-in-the-room that we are all ignoring, is how the hell this thread has gone on so long? Confused
Dear moderators: No.

satx

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:11 pm

Quoting Hpnonrev99 (Reply 20):

Way to pic on somebody who is only 14-ish.

Fair enough. Now explain CORULEZ05's post.  Big grin

Quoting Hpnonrev99 (Reply 20):
I hope for your sake you don't have kids. Maybe next time instead of being an a$$, you can see who is asking the question!!!

There's no better way to bash an ass than to act like one yourself?

Oh well. Go back to your bickering then.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:21 pm

Quoting Wukka (Reply 34):
Did you miss reading the rest of my post, which included, "I'd really like to know so that I can make better photoshops in the future.

"I know that AC never had a 74 explode on touchdown" isn't an answer."

...before you jumped on the quote-selected reply button?

Dude, get off the quote. My reply was not directed at you. I know I quoted you but I used it to bring up my own point concerning how "real-or-fake?" even needs to be discussed.

Photoshop jobs can pretty something up in a way that might fool the eyes into believing it HAS to be real. YES I now know what you meant when asking and YES I have read the rest of your responses and YES, I am sorry I quoted you in the first place.

Understand that this very picture appears in this forum almost once a month with "Is it Real or Fake??" When its not this photo, it's the video of the airbus doing the hard landing in the beer commercial. I decided to share an opinion based on the fact that I am confident there are plenty of people out there that are indeed fooled by this picture...at least at first. The fact this thread popped up today proves it. I decided to use a quote from you...even though it ended up being taken out of original context.

sevenheavy

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:31 pm

There is nothing to debate here - this picture is definately real. The aircraft is a victim of spontaneous anal combustion in the economy cabin. 200 asses venting the inflight curry in unison will do this every time - I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often.

Regards,

SevenHeavy
So long 701, it was nice knowing you.

aogdesk

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:52 pm

I have firsthand knowledge that this picture is indeed real. In fact, after the aircraft taxied/dragged itself to the gate, the flight crew did their post flight inspection and completely missed the damage. Next morning, maintenance was called when a boarding passenger claimed that she couldn't find rows 41 and higher. To the best of my knowledge, the departing flight was delayed an hour or so while mechanics added a few doublers to comply with CDL requirements.

IwantaBBJ

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:08 pm

If that were for real, we would have heard 'bout it!

Mike

Granite

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:37 pm

Hi all

The guy sounds a right big fanny.

Of course my BA 757 shot is real.

Regards

Gary

henpol747

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:27 am

Nowadays with all the technology in digital imagery and photo edition tools we have in computers, it´s really hard to distinguish the fake pics from the real ones!!

Now, about this particular one........hmmm.......FAKE all the way!!!!

Henpol747 Big grin
Vive la France! ¡Viva México!