UnitedFirst
Topic Author

AA AFS: DVD Players

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:01 am

Quick question that was plaguing me the other night...

I seem to recall when American introduced DVD players to First and Business Class on international flights, they introduced them solely to First Class passengers on transcontinental flights – my assumption being the 767-200 operated transcons with the "AFS" moniker.

However, with United providing DVD players to United First and United Business passengers with the advent of p.s. – I was wondering if American's dropped DVD players in the laps of transcon Business Class passengers.

Any information?

Derek

Indy

RE: AA AFS: DVD Players

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:17 am

I think DVD players on flights would be GREAT. Even if you have to pay a small rental fee for the flight to use it.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Airlinerfreak

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:07 pm

I was wondering how those DVD players for AA worked on international flights. Does anyone know? I am flying in First from MIA-MAD and was wondering how that whole DVD thing would work.

abirda

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:13 pm

Quoting Airlinerfreak (Reply 2):
I am flying in First from MIA-MAD and was wondering how that whole DVD thing would work.

There's not really much to it. After takeoff, the flight attendant will provide you with a case containing the DVD player, the Bose headset, a selection of DVD movies and a cable to connect the player to the power port in your seat. You will then be able to watch movies at your leisure throughout the flight. It's not a bad setup in lieu of a built-in PTV.

UnitedFirst
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:22 pm

bump

any more on-topic responses?

abirda

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:24 pm

I'm afraid you'll have the thread deleted when the mods see that you bumped it. They tend to do that.

I have no clue if AA is offering the DVD players in business on the 762 transcons. If I had to guess, I would say they are.

LAXintl

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:31 pm

From some one that regularly commutes between LA and NYC, I can confirm AA does not offer the DVD players in business class. Just the standard on screen movie and CBS TV shorts.
I suppose it could be a good move for those that might be interested, however personally it would not matter. With 20+ UA p.s. roundtrips I have yet to make use of the players more then a single time.

Btw, AA is working on some product enhancement which will include changes to its transcon products.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

abirda

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:45 pm

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 6):
I can confirm AA does not offer the DVD players in business class.

Interesting. Of course, the vast majority of people in business undoubtedly either have work to do on the flight, or carry a DVD-equipped notebook computer.

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 6):
AA is working on some product enhancement which will include changes to its transcon products.

I can't wait to see more on AA's upcoming cabin enhancements for their widebodies, excluding the A306 of course.

Trvlr

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:38 pm

Quoting UnitedFirst (Reply 4):
bump

any more on-topic responses?

Honestly, what has the uncharted North taught you about etiquette?

At any rate, several people I know who have recently flown AFS transcons confirmed that there were no DVD players in Business.

Perhaps AA is waiting for a noticeable change in their market position on the premium transcon routes before deploying such countermeasures.

Of course, maybe (just maybe) AA has plans to use their new business class seat (whenever it arrives--perhaps 2012) on their transcon network eventually. Maybe then we'll find what it means to be "detachable".

Aaron G.

Starlionblue

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:05 pm

AA International First has on demand movies. The players (small cassette) is built into the seat and integrated in the IFE system for that seat.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

7e72004

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:04 pm

Hell...when i fly i use my PSP to play the new UMD format  Big grin
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

ikramerica

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:47 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 9):
AA International First has on demand movies. The players (small cassette) is built into the seat and integrated in the IFE system for that seat.

Yes, that's what I was going to point out. Unless things have changed since I last flew International First, there are Hi8 (I believe) tape players in the first seats that connect directly to the IFE. This was true on the older 3class 762s I flew in the 90s as well as the new 777s in both configurations I flew two years ago. The staff has a big box of tapes to choose from (20 or more titles, multiple copies). It's "analog on demand" as it were! The 777 also has prescheduled movie channels as well, so you have a great selection. To/from Tokyo via DFW, I was never at a want for something interesting to watch (unlike the limited offerings on CO).

In Business is where you get the DVD players internationally. So if domestically in 3class you are getting the DVDs in First, why not just give the tapes domestically as well and save some money?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

drerx7

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:54 pm

I was under the impression that AA was introducing DigiPlayers to their fleet of MD80s for all those 3+hr flights from ORD and DFW to the West Coast and Northeast?
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

commavia

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:57 pm

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 12):
I was under the impression that AA was introducing DigiPlayers to their fleet of MD80s for all those 3+hr flights from ORD and DFW to the West Coast and Northeast?

No, they were only testing the players on select flights, at different price points, to see what the response was -- it apparently wasn't great, as I don't think AA is actually going to go ahead with a full-scale rollout.

In general, despite what some on A.net say, many, many people simply don't care too much about onboard IFE anymore. They bring their own notebook computers, DVD players and MP3 players, and frankly don't want to watch what the airline is showing.

drerx7

Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:04 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 13):
In general, despite what some on A.net say, many, many people simply don't care too much about onboard IFE anymore. They bring their own notebook computers, DVD players and MP3 players, and frankly don't want to watch what the airline is showing.

This is true--I think that the phrase "you don't miss what you never had" could apply here too. AA has loyal travelers from their hubs and elsewhere--so IFE would not make much of an impact to them. I've never had a need to ly AA so I can't comment on their service
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

GOAQ

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:38 pm

AA only offers DVD players in F/C on 3-Class transcon flights. No DVD players in Business. AA was looking at providing DVD players to it's Business Class Customers at one point prior to the events of 9/11. But of course all that changed because of the cost.

Starlionblue

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:55 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 11):
In Business is where you get the DVD players internationally

As GOAQ points out, no DVD/casettes in international Biz on AA. No biggie since the power port in each seat works just fine for my laptop  Wink
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

CMK10

Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:38 am

AA's 763 flights which go between SFO and JFK are sold as First/Coach, do the First Class passengers get the DVD players?
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

Starlionblue

Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:10 am

Quoting Cmk10 (Reply 17):
AA's 763 flights which go between SFO and JFK are sold as First/Coach, do the First Class passengers get the DVD players?

Was on this flight on Monday and the answer is no.