ETStar
Topic Author

What Happened To Karachi?

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:55 pm

Over the last few years, Karachi has been dropped like flies by a few airlines, with BA, LH and ET discontinuing services. What really happened? I don't know if this happened after US military activities in the area or not, but what really went wrong? I thought there was also a sizeable Pakistani expat community in the UK.

PA110

RE: What Happened To Karachi?

Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:05 pm

Oh Christ, not another "expat community will support the route" arguement! Karachi is no longer the draw it used to be. The business and government markets are in Islamabad, and with the simmering tensions with Afghanistan, non-ethnic business is way off. Ethnic business does not support an airline profitably - the yield is far too low. Without demand from other distribution channels including corporate/business demand, the routes are unsustainable.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

ETStar
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:16 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 1):
Oh Christ, not another "expat community will support the route" arguement! Karachi is no longer the draw it used to be. The business and government markets are in Islamabad, and with the simmering tensions with

PA110, who lit the fuse on your tampon today? Looks like every post you make today includes some snobby remarks. Chill out. We know you been around for a while, but yer still only clickin' 1058 posts.

Your "general" answer which fits every airline business' decision making is not what I am looking for. What was specific to Karachi over the last few years is what I want to know.

mainMAN

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:36 pm

Quoting ETStar (Thread starter):
I thought there was also a sizeable Pakistani expat community in the UK.

The majority of Pakistani expats in the UK come from further north, Islamabad/Lahore/Peshawar. PK flights from the UK carry most passengers here, then continue to Karachi.

What little business traffic there is to Karachi is catered for by PK, and probably EK via DXB etc.