smf757

History Of "Cockpit"

Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:07 am

Hello -

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before - if so please forgive me as I did attempt a search - but couldn't find any results.

I was asked by a few folks at work (because I'm the aviation guy) where the name "cockpit" come from - or what the history of the term is. Can anyone help me out here? Anyone know why Cockpit was selected as the control center of the aircraft?

I know that Flight Deck now a-days is more politically correct, but now it's got me wondering where did "cockpit" come from? I googled and couldn't find it either - so this is the next best place to try and find my answer - if you have any related posts links, please post them.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed - this is such a great community!

[Edited 2005-08-09 22:34:53]
Gotta love that 757

dhefty

RE: History Of "Cockpit"

Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:51 am

Originally it may have been used to denote the pen in which two roosters fought. Apparently the term then began to be applied in England to denote the arena in parliament where opposing legislators presented their arguments. It later became a term for any center of action and was used primarily in boating, i.e. where the rowers sat. The first aircraft seemed to be based on a hull design similar to small boats and the term caught on in aviation, where it remains to this day.

JCS

Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:02 pm

In Dutch a flightdeck is always called "Cockpit". The word flightdeck is the translation of Dutch 'vliegdek', which is never used by anyone. So, ask anyone in the Netherlands about the front of a plane and they call it a cockpit.

Quoting Dhefty (Reply 1):
to denote the arena in parliament where opposing legislators presented their arguments

Very cool history!

Johannes

sammyk

Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:11 pm

I thought it was originally a nautical term as many aviation terms are. Part of the ship/boat from where the steering took place.

HAWK21M

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:21 pm

Quoting SMF757 (Thread starter):
I know that Flight Deck now a-days is more politically correct

Another appropriate term is the Control cabin.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)