Omad420
Topic Author

Tehrans New Aiport (IKIA)

Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:42 pm

I cant seem to find any photos of IKIA (other than the ones on their website). Has anyone else been successful??
Also is it true that IKIA will be used for international and Mehrabad will be domestic only. So if I were going to Ahwaz would I have to switch airports too?

-Omad
SERENITY NOW!!! SERENITY NOW!!!

brokenrecord

RE: Tehrans New Aiport (IKIA)

Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:53 pm

Do you have link to the website for the airport?

Omad420
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:07 am

www.ikia.ir/
and heres this link that mentions it opened in MAY 2005

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4510597.stm

brokenrecord

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:22 am

Thanks for the link mate!  Smile

jsnww81

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:29 am

There has really not been much information about IKIA lately. I looked it up on Google Maps (using the satellite feature) and it's a considerable distance out of the city, but it has plenty of room to expand. If you go to http://maps.google.com and select 'satellite', then type in "teheran, iran" into the dialogue box, you can get a decent overhead view of the whole of Tehran.

The single runway is more or less parallel to the two runways at Mehrabad, and it looks as though they've built a nice big highway leading out there. Will IKIA handle a small number of domestic flights to facilitate connections? Or will everyone be forced to take a bus to Mehrabad and transfer there?

FlySSC

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:56 am

Omad420,

Imam Khomeini Airport will be limited to international flights only for its few years in operation, all domestic services remaining at Mehrabad.
This will be a major obstacle in the development of THR as a regional HUB, and the distance between the two airports will cause big inconvenience for International PAX in transit to a domestic flight, or domestic PAX in transit to an international flight.

Moreover, Iran Air's maintenance base will remain at Mehrabad, only line maintenance will be carried out at the new airport, so employees, like passengers, will have to shuttle between the two airports in Tehran's crazy traffic.

The new airport is about 32km (20 mi) south of the city.

brokenrecord

Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:50 am

32 km?!? holy smokes...

And I thought NRT was a long way out of Tokyo...

irelayer

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:42 am

I don't see how the distance is all that bad. How far is it from the city center? Lets say it is 40km. That is still not a big deal...it is 46km from my parents house in San Diego to SAN (they are both within the city limits, if you drive north-south San Diego you can drive for an hour and still be in the "city"). That's about a 30-45 minute drive without much traffic. With traffic it becomes about an hour. I'd say that is a reasonable amount of time to expect to drive to catch an international flight, not a domestic one. We use to live 15 minutes from ORD and 25 minutes from MDW, so we were spoiled. However if traffic is just horrendous (and I have been to Tehran, and it seems that way), it might be a problem for domestic connections. Why don't they just go the extra mile and extend the **new** metro system out to IKA, going through THR so that there is a direct link between them. I think that would go a long way towards solving that problem.

-IR

Omad420
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:44 am

Well, I'm just glad to see an airport in Iran w/ Jet Bridges. I cant wait to see some more pictures. Thanx for all ur responses.

-omad

brokenrecord

Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:56 am

IRelayer,
I know what you mean about San Diego.

If Tehran is anything like Doha, then traffic is bad at very random times, thus making it that much harder to make a bus transfer between the two airports.

Metro between the two would be a good plan.

a300

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:32 pm

The actual distance between THR and IKA is 56 km to be exact. The new airport is actuallu quite nice. I was there last month.
Boland Aseman Jayegah Man Ast.

ilgrancapo

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:26 am

Quoting Brokenrecord (Reply 6):
And I thought NRT was a long way out of Tokyo...

The distance between Milan and his hub Milan Malpensa MXp it´s of 60 KMs

pilotaydin

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:37 am

it would have been cool if it was IKEA instead of IKIA, they might have gotten free furniture for the departure halls  Smile
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos