MSYtristar
Topic Author

PDX Rocks!

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:00 am

I just got back from a two-day trip to the Pacific Northwest (see my post on the non-aviation forum entitled "same day concert cancellations suck").

I just have to say that PDX is by far one of the nicest airports i've ever flown into. The C terminal was gorgeous. The ticketing area was spotless and modern. The rental car facility was extremely close to the terminal and easy to navigate. And the approach into PDX over the river was incredible. You guys should be proud of that place, it's first class all the way. Also I love the easy access to I-5 with the attractive airport access road. Just a perfect airport as far as i'm concerned.

pdxtriple7

RE: PDX Rocks!

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:41 am

As a native Portlander for over 17 years, I thank you for your nice comments about the NW and PDX. It has come a long way over the years. I find it to be one of the easiest airports in the US to navigate through. The approach with Mt. Hood, St. Helens, and the Columbia is amazing. The only complaint I have are that we need more airlines, larger aircraft, and more international flights.

StevenUhl777

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:49 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):
Also I love the easy access to I-5

Thanks for your kind words...I agree as well, especially when I think back to the way it was in '84 and all the work that's been done there since then.

Quoting PDXtriple7 (Reply 1):
The only complaint I have are that we need more airlines, larger aircraft, and more international flights.

I think that will come in time. The more travellers like MSYTristar who fly through and come away pleased, the more demand there will be for flights through PDX. It also depends heavily on the regional economy, which is showing signs of life again.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

Leneld

Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:25 am

MSYtristar...First as a Portlander I would like to thankyou for the great comment about PDX and the Northwest region. I hope you felt welcomed here and you will visit Oregon agian. PDX is one of my favorite mid size airport in the US, and has come a long way over the years with endless construction. Hopefully were going to get a break, however, with the current passenger jump I highly doubt it......

thelowfarehero

Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:31 am

Yes, PDX is a beautiful airport with great views on approach/departure. Was diverted from SEA due to fog and had a 2 hour stop in PDX, and was highly impressed as well. Hopefully the Oregon economy picks up more , and air service grows from there.
I HAATE AA!

flyingnanook

Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:43 am

I agree that PDX is one of my favorite airports around. On one complicated trip I took, I had to spend the night there and it was great. I've spent the night in SEA several times and it sucks. But PDX is a great airport to overnight in. You have to leave security but they have comfy couches outside of security to sleep on. My only complaint is that the food places close early. I flew through there in December and my flight left SFO late, but I didn't get dinner there because it was too early for me and I figured I could eat at PDX. We arrived at PDX just before 8 and everything was getting ready to close down. But other than that,it's a great, clean, beautiful, friendly airport. Now I just have to see if the city is as great as the airport. I'll be going in September if everything works out.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

PDXLVR

Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:44 am

My username gives me no choice but to add in my agreement. Next time you're in our beautiful airport take a close look at the carpet patern- it's a map of the runways!  Smile
I left my heart in PDX

blrBird

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:05 am

Good to hear that our airport rocks!
Thanks 'MSYtristar'.
from star dust....

mtnmanmakalu

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:13 am

If by "rocks" you mean because PDX has the longest security lines in the USA, then I agree- PDX rocks!!!

BTW- The Portland area is beautiful, but IMHO, the airport is not one of my favorites in the US by far...

mtnman
I do, I don't, whatever.......

STLUAL747

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:35 am

The approach into PDX is my all time favorite. I went there last summer and we passed right by Mt. Hood. That was awesome. The mountains aren't the only cool thing but the amount of green you see flying over the city is great too. Once we landed I could see Mt. St. Helens. It was also nice that our pilot was pointing everything out along the way. It definitely made up for the hour delay on the tarmac in DEN due to lightning over the airport before the flight.

I must agree when I flew out the security lines were very long and weren't moving at all. Luckily we showed up reallllly early for the flight. I took a stroll down to Norhtwest's gates where a flight to Tokyo was boarding. That was a pretty cool thing to watch since we have none of that in STL.

All in all I enjoyed the Portland area and the airport very much. I would love to go back again.

Josh
Lonely in Deserted St. Louis.

daumueller

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:47 am

I'll be in PDX overnight next week so I guess there is something to look forward to  Smile

flypdx

Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:09 am

Quoting Mtnmanmakalu (Reply 8):
If by "rocks" you mean because PDX has the longest security lines in the USA, then I agree- PDX

Since when? I always get through security very very quickly.
I have been to many other airports in the US that are far worse... LAX, PIT, SEA, etc.

nonrevman

Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:33 am

This is a very good airport. The waiting area is especially nice and clean (right before security). It was very easy to rent a car there, and the "City of Roses" is certainly worth exploring. This is a flight where you would want to have a window seat. Mt. Hood is typically off the left side of the plane if you are coming from the east. Even if it is overcast, the greenery of the valley is really amazing. The airport has never felt like it was overcrowded to me. I remember when Delta had a lot of flights into PDX. It was sad to see them go, especially the DFW-PDX run. I did enjoy flying up there on more than one occasion.

Sea-Tac is really not that bad either, at least the parts that I saw. There is plenty of good spotting, and the approach to this airport is also incredible with Mt. Rainier and Puget Sound.

HPRamper

Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:52 am

Quoting PDXLVR (Reply 6):
Next time you're in our beautiful airport take a close look at the carpet patern- it's a map of the runways!

I see it every day and I've never noticed that!

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):
Also I love the easy access to I-5 with the attractive airport access road.

I believe you are talking about I-205, along Airport Way, with its landscaping. I wish I-5 had better access....perhaps someday Airport Way could be extended through? Or at least Marine Drive could be widened and connected to make an easy transition.

If by "rocks" you mean because PDX has the longest security lines in the USA

I recently saw the national figures on airport security lines, it was very comprehensive, even showing peak times of day for each major airport. PDX is in the middle of the list, not the best but certainly not the worst. As for peak times....about 0600 to 0800 is one of the worst times of day to try to get through security, by 8:30am the lines are pretty dead and you can breeze right through.

fightingdingo

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:59 pm

Im glad so many people like PDX. The airport is great and the city is even better. Ive seen a lot of cities, and no place is ever as great as Portland.

The security lines I have been in always move fast, but they may get worse now that the federal government is removing 150 screeners from PDX in a politicaly motivated move.

Does anyone happen to have any past timetables with info on PDX?

Zach

PA110

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:37 pm

PDX has the longest security lines in the USA

I was just up at PDX last week. I had a 7:10am flight and the security line was actually shorter than anticipated. Try security at OAK, especially for an early morning flight. Its unbelievably bad.

PDX airport is spotlessly clean and spacious. I love the wide open spaces where the concourses converge. Great views of the runways and taxiways, lots of room to sit down. An absolutely first class airport.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:41 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 13):
believe you are talking about I-205, along Airport Way, with its landscaping

Yes that's right, I-205. Still, it was pretty easy to get to I-5 I thought. Overall a very pleasant experience and I would not hesitate to fly through PDX again. Next time hopefully i'll get to see some of the city, looks like a neat place!

I wish AS or WN would look into a MSY-PDX flight; oddly enough, I think one per day would work.

GQfluffy

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:53 pm

Quoting PDXtriple7 (Reply 1):
The only complaint I have are that we need more airlines, larger aircraft, and more international flights.

Hey, ya got GQ there. What more would you need???  bigthumbsup   duck 

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

stirling

Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:51 pm

....and a nice rail link to downtown....right in the terminal.

Security wait times? Hmmm, I've seen worse, like Oakland; bring a lunch, it's gonna be awhile.
Delete this User

spirtofalaska

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:40 pm

If by "rocks" you mean because PDX has the longest security lines in the USA, then I agree- PDX rocks!!!

yah...wtf??? i just flew through it 3 times in july, and my wait time was less than 5 minutes each time. They had quite a long line each time, but They FLEW through the people. Im not sure where you got your info from...:S....

The airport is awesome, THEY EVEN HAVE FREE WIFI!

Portland itself is an incredible city, I LOVE IT, and im sorry i had to move out of it. I LOVE portland, and i hope to one day get to move back there!  Smile
you fo'Coffee?

Bluewave 707

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:39 pm

Count me in too! I think PDX is a great airport!

Having an annual trip every July, I make time to get some spotting done. This past July, was the first time spotting from the top of the parking deck. Though the weather was quite cloudy, the view of both sides made up for it. I just wish HA's flights would leave a bit later in the day. Either that, or fly to another city before flying home.

As far as the TSA lines @ PDX, it just depends when your flight is. Sometimes there are no lines at all. Though Terminals A - C have QX, AS, and WN as the main airlines with the most frequencies, and I've seen the TSA line on that side, it can get quite LONG! Just get there early.
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

jetpixx

Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:44 pm

PDX is one of my favorite airports to spot at from the top of the parking garage when I have the pleasure to visit - and Oregon is by far my favorite state. I've been all over that beautiful place for whitewater rafting on the Deschutes, to hiking the Eagle Creek Trail and Tunnel Falls, to Government Camp - the Hood River Brewing Co. and Tollgate campground, to Diamond Lake in the south and Crater Lake NP, to Silver Falls State Park and the wonderful waterfalls of the Gorge, as well as Toketee, Tumalo, Sahalie Falls, etc. and Deer Creek (Bigelow) Hot Springs......WHAT A STATE! I want a vacation there again....can you tell I miss it?

HPRamper

Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:45 pm

As far as spotting goes, come August 22 the concourse connector will be finished, giving a great view of the tarmac between the C and D concourses. It looks impressive and it's not even finished yet.

I'm happy about it, no more connector buses and it will open up two additional gates for airline use.

stirling

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:22 pm

And one more thing about the TSA....

Portland had been SO efficient latley; that 133 workers were deemed "unnecessary" and re-allocated to other less efficient airports.

TSA wait-times are relative. Depends on as little as +/- 5 minutes of when you get there.
-------------------------------------------------

It's never been publicly stated, but I wonder if the Port of Portland (PDX)is in some kind of un-spoken competition with the Port of Seattle (SEA)?

I'm not a native, but lived in Portland many years ago, and it is great to see Portland finally get positive recognition, and repeatedly.
Because I remember it back in the 60's/70's/80's when PDX was a dark and dismal place; the only way to get there was via NE 82nd Ave...the concourses were in a "V" shape, not the present "U" shape; and most importantly, except for the few flights to ORD, DEN, and DFW, the only places you could fly to were SEA, within Oregon,Washington, & Idaho, and of course California.
Nonstop to Phoenix didn't even come along until after de-regulation.

Portland, You've come a LONG way Baby!
Delete this User

bartond

Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:50 am

"yah...wtf??? i just flew through it 3 times in july, and my wait time was less than 5 minutes each time. They had quite a long line each time, but They FLEW through the people. Im not sure where you got your info from...:S...."

I agree with this poster. I went through on Monday afternoon (3pm) and there was virtually no wait at all. The only thing that took any time was getting my clunky shoes off and my laptop out of my case. I've never waited more than 5 minutes at that airport. A very nice, clean facility, too.

HPRamper

Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:20 am

Portland is ALWAYS in some sort of competition with Seattle, spoken or not. Every aspect of the city including commerce. Living here you really start to notice it, especially now that Portland (city proper) is just about as populous as Seattle.

gipper913

Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:52 am

Huh? I fly up there twice a month (girlfriend lives in Portland) and I have never had more than a 15 minute line. And, that 15 minute number was only once, and the line LOOKED like it'd be more like an hour! There are far worse airport security lines (LAX, SNA, LGA, JFK, OAK, DFW, LAS).

As to the carpet...it is the one thing I dislike about PDX (well, maybe that they could also use an Admiral's Club). The colors are garish. Though, now, I will look for the runway pattern!
The size of the federal budget is not an appropriate barometer of social conscience or charitable concern. --R. Reagan

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:56 am

The security line was long when I got in it the other night but I was through in less than ten minutes minutes. I thought it was very efficient. I first looked at the line and said "oh no", but it was anything but a long wait. I have nothing bad to report about PDX, only good things. Puts our quaint little airport to shame.

gipper913

Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:00 am

There is ONE issue with PDX I failed to mention - the starlings that nest by the hundreds in the canopy over the terminal drop-off area - which makes it an area that one can get "dropped-on!" eeek!  yuck 

Worse, the bird population is now causing serious discussion about safety as a bird was inhaled into a WN engine recently, causing an aborted takeoff, blown tire, etc.

See link:

http://www.kgw.com/travel/stories/kg...5_news_airport_birds.5ec2e1c4.html

"Bird in jet engine prompts changes at PDX airport
By TERESA BELL, kgw.com Staff

A jet emergency at the Portland International Airport Tuesday prompted authorities to take a closer look at a dangerous and fast-growing bird population at the terminal.
A Southwest Airline 737 sucked a bird into an engine on takeoff, causing a tire blowout and forcing an emergency landing. No one was hurt but authorities said the incident highlighted a major risk at the airport -- an overpopulation of starlings.

The glass canopy constructed over the passenger drop-off area back in 1998 has become a perfect breeding area for the small, black birds. At last count, about 900 starlings were living in the tall, rain-free perch.

Airport officials held a meeting Wednesday morning to discuss the bird boom and possible techniques researchers have looked at, to encourage the birds to move elsewhere.

'They looked at hazing, electric shock strips, spikes, chemicals, compressed air devices, noise generators, and scare tactics, including plastic owls, snakes, balloons.' said airport project manager Stan Snyder. 'They looked at falconry, they looked at trapping and they even looked at lasers.'

Airport authorities eventually agreed to buy special netting and stretch it all across the canopy, spanning about 2.5 acres in size.

The plan is for the netting to be in place by Thanksgiving and the project will cost about $400,000 - paid for by airport passenger fees."
The size of the federal budget is not an appropriate barometer of social conscience or charitable concern. --R. Reagan

jetpixx

Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:51 am

Quoting Gipper913 (Reply 26):
And, that 15 minute number was only once, and the line LOOKED like it'd be more like an hour! There are far worse airport security lines (LAX, SNA, LGA, JFK, OAK, DFW, LAS).

Two airports immediately come to mind when talking about REAL security delays - CLE and FLL. Total jokes, especially FLL - at least in the DL terminal. In CO and NW, it is substantially better.

I fly through CAK to avoid CLE, so my wait time is five min. a la PDX. One would think JFK would be difficult, but my wait time there was less than 10 min. It is odd how some airports are great and some are terrible.

goCOgo

Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:01 am

Quoting Jetpixx (Reply 29):
Two airports immediately come to mind when talking about REAL security delays - CLE ... I fly through CAK to avoid CLE, so my wait time is five min

I admit I don't fly much, but I must say my longest security wait to date was at CAK. One line during the busy morning: ridiculus. I have yet to have a major problem at CLE. Not that CLE doesn't have some bad waits, and not that the lines at CAK are always long. But the above statement was always true I see as an over-generalization. The same could be said for many airports. Just because when you were there the lines were short doesn't mean they are always short, and just because the lines were long when you were there doesn't mean the lines are always long.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

gipper913

Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:20 am

Quoting GoCOgo (Reply 30):
Just because when you were there the lines were short doesn't mean they are always short, and just because the lines were long when you were there doesn't mean the lines are always long.

Very true...which I why I tended to comment of facilities I frequent at least once a month. Too often, we a.netters tend to take singular experiences and extrapolate global rules of thumb that are unsubstantiated.

SRT75

Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:29 am

1) Yes, it is a nice airport. But when I was there it seemed a little sleepy.

2) I have problems with a State that does not allow you to pump your own gas. It's un-American.  duck 

stirling

Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:40 am

Quoting SRT75 (Reply 32):
I have problems with a State that does not allow you to pump your own gas. It's un-American.

Then you must really hate not having to fork over a State Sales Tax....  wave 
Delete this User

gipper913

Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:05 am

Quoting SRT75 (Reply 32):
I have problems with a State that does not allow you to pump your own gas. It's un-American.

That IS weird. Like a jobs program fro gas-pumpers!

Quoting Stirling (Reply 33):
Then you must really hate not having to fork over a State Sales Tax....

LOLOLOL well put.

flashmeister

Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:08 am

2) I have problems with a State that does not allow you to pump your own gas. It's un-American.

Yeah, we can't pump our own gas, but as said, we keep a few cents every time we buy something, we can smoke dope when we get sick, and when we get really really sick, we can off ourselves with our doctor's help. Things look different here, indeed.  Smile

As for PDX, it really has grown up. The Port should be commended for doing a good job thus far but I also worry about the Port of Portland becoming too much like the Port of Seattle and turning PDX into a Money Pit. Reference the new Parking machines, which were supposed to be allow PDX to cut staff... now they just have staff there to take your ticket and stick it in the machine. Ridiculous.

Security is a mixed bag. I've waited 45 minutes and missed my flight, and I've been the only one in the place. It really does depend on when you go, but if you have a Monday morning 7:00am flight, I'd get there double-early.

The airport's almost completely rebuilt... all that's left are Concourse A, which isn't all that bad anyway, and the little Concourse B stub. I've never quite understood that. I doubt they'll expand those anytime soon, though, because with pullbacks from DL and AS, there's quite a bit of open gate space to be had. Once A/B are taken care of, it'll be hard to believe that the ugliest part of the place will be the end of "D" past the duty-free shop where there aren't any windows looking out onto the tarmac. That really is a change  Smile

N766UA

Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:24 am

Quoting Jetpixx (Reply 29):
Two airports immediately come to mind when talking about REAL security delays - CLE and FLL.

Really? I've flown out of CLE probably 30 times in the past 5 years and have never waited more than 15 minutes in security. Since they re-did the security checkpoints it's gone much faster. Ironically, CAK has been my longest wait recently. Probably stood in line a good 25 minutes since there was only 1 metal detector and 7 or 8 flights going out at once.
This Website Censors Me

darrell

Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:05 am

I've been flying in and out of PDX my whole life. As a native Portlander, I've watched the airport grow and expand for over 30 years. My first ever plane ride was on Western Airlines from PDX to SEA in 1974 (back when PDX still had an observation deck), and I've loved PDX ever since. I still live in Portland, but I work in South Carolina. Long commute, thats for sure. I fly home to PDX every 45 days or so for a week at a time, and I always pray for sunny weather and always have a window seat. Watching Mt. St. Helens spew ash and steam is always a treat. My next trip to PDX will be Sept 6th CHS-IAH-PDX on Continental, and I can't wait to get home again! I've never waited more than 10 minutes going through security, but I almost always use D/E concourse. By the way, in all my years of flying hundreds and hundreds of airline flights, my worst experience with an airport was CLT. It was bad enough that I will avoid CLT forever. But thats a whole 'nother story...
those who have no vices have very few virtues

senorcarnival

Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:15 am

I flew into PDX once, this past February on a visit to UO. I spent most of that weekend driving around the coast and the Bend area. I loved Oregon in general, you got mountains and beaches less than 200 miles apart, how awesome is that? It's a nice airport for a nice city. I hope I'll make it back to Oregon someday with a little more time on my hands.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

UnitedFlyer

Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:01 am

Does anybody have any PDX terminal pictures (inside and out) from the 1950's to the present? Would be fun to see how much PDX has improved over the years!

stirling

Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:02 am

Quoting Flashmeister (Reply 35):
Things look different here, indeed.

Back when Tom McCall was governor, there was a billboard just over the state line from California on I-5.......
"Welcome to Oregon, please don't stay!" (or something to that effect)

With that said....unfortunately, Portland, and Oregon in general have learned many lessons from the machine that is the Seattle/Tacoma region.

While growth is a good thing, (stop growing and you die) too much, and it's a problem. Example: Seattle. It is in it's own league when it comes to urban sprawl threatening the core elements in the quality of life matrix.

Quoting Flashmeister (Reply 35):
The Port should be commended for doing a good job thus far but I also worry about the Port of Portland becoming too much like the Port of Seattle and turning PDX into a Money Pit.

While you have a bonafide cause for concern, it is the citzenry of Oregon that keep those in charge; honest...meaning things like SEA have less of a chance being rammed through without any oversight.
And the airport is just one example.
As beautiful as all the cities of the Pacific Northwest are, Seattle/Tacoma has some issues to deal with; for one; assuming some nasty traits of the kind of explosive growth heretofore only witnessed in the mass-land-grab that is Southern California. As it is, Seattle is often referred to as LA-North. Not sure if that is such a great label for such a uniquely beautiful city and region.....

Oregon, because of it's almost maniacal attention to quality of life issues, takes a harder than should be hit when the national economy sputters.
But thankfully, things like the economy are cyclical, this too shall pass, and it appears to be on it's way out as we speak. As "METRO" land-use practices are now coming into maturity, what is seen is a city like Portland, get bigger, yet still maintain the charm, character, and style all it's own. Portland may have changed a lot in the 30 years since I lived there....but believe it or not, for all the change, Portland is doing a great job of keeping it "real", when I return to visit, I know I am in Portland! More than I can say for many places in this country that seem to be no different than the city just down the road.
In California where I live now, there is frightening epidemic of homegenization that means every city looks and feels the same.

The state is an "Odd-Duck" compared to other 49 (no pun intended), which makes it a highly desirable place to live and work for people who enjoy the Pacific Northwest lifestyle...and not just "a place to go" like of which Seattle has become...with hyper-growth working against the grain of what made Seattle unique in the first place.

In my opinion, Seattle has become just another very large megalopolis, with cooler weather, and more trees....everything else, those things that set it apart from anyplace else, are getting harder and harder to find and appreciate.

Seattle may have been the city of the 20th Century.
But of one thing I am completely certain, the 21st Century belongs to Portland; warts and all, and not a moment too soon, it's about time Portland receives the recognition it deserves.
Delete this User

aznjapken

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:52 am

Former Gov. Tom McCall was known for his quote:

"We want you to visit our State of Excitement often. Come again and again. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live. Or if you do have to move in to live, don't tell any of your neighbors where you are going."

S12PPL

Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:17 am

It truely is a beautiful airport!

I should be flying out the week of Thanksgiving to watch a 49ers game in San Francisco, then to spend Turkey Day with family. I'll look for the carpet pattern if we end up taking the trip!!

I'm simply amazed at the growth of PDX over the last ten years. International passenger service has returned, now with TWO international destinations being served by two seperate airlines, and more and more airlines are taking notice of PDX and it's many benifits. People in state of Oregon love to travel! Not to mention us having Nike's world HQ here, as well as a major tech base here in Oregon...PDX sees it's fair share of travelers. I hope to see even more international service in the near future!
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

wobbles

Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:33 am

Due to my job, I have lived all over the US, and trying to speak neutrally as possible, Portland is the best metro area I have ever lived in. Seattle/Tacoma is a close second (the state income tax in Oregon is brutal though).
Moving from Portland to Salt Lake City was one of the worst decisions I have ever made and that is not really a slam against Salt Lake, it is ok, but phyiscially and socially, Portland is a lot better.
PDX is among my top airports, even though I would say MSP and SNA are the two best in my opinion (at least major airports).

cltguy

Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:41 pm

Quoting Darrell (Reply 37):
By the way, in all my years of flying hundreds and hundreds of airline flights, my worst experience with an airport was CLT. It was bad enough that I will avoid CLT forever. But thats a whole 'nother story...

OK, I'll take the bait, please indulge us in your negative CLT experience. I love to hear them since they are few of them out there.

darrell

Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:06 pm

Quoting Cltguy (Reply 44):
OK, I'll take the bait, please indulge us in your negative CLT experience. I love to hear them since they are few of them out there.

I posted a thread on 12/24/04 entitled "CLT is a major headache". just do a search for it and it will partially explain my lack of love for CLT.
those who have no vices have very few virtues

ramprat74

Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:29 pm

Quoting PDXLVR (Reply 6):
My username gives me no choice but to add in my agreement. Next time you're in our beautiful airport take a close look at the carpet patern- it's a map of the runways!

The carpet doesn't look like the runway configuration. Next time you guys are in the D&E atrium, look up at the rafters. They are covered in about three inches of dirt. The cob webs are the size of small rope also. They haven't cleaned the upper windows in about four years also. I have complained to the Port about this. It always falls on deaf ears. They are too busy tearing up the same taxiway every summer.

cltguy

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:53 pm

Quoting Darrell (Reply 45):
I posted a thread on 12/24/04 entitled "CLT is a major headache". just do a search for it and it will partially explain my lack of love for CLT.

Oh yes, I remember that thread now. Most of the stuff that caused you frustration is either in the process of being improved or already has been. Hope you'll give CLT another chance in the future.

bucky707

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:52 pm

Forget the airport. Yes, its great. But, I love the city of Portland! My favorite layover in our entire system. Great city!

pdxtriple7

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:18 am

I'm a native Portlander and love the state of Oregon, but let's be honest here. The city is screwed up. I'm in really the only Portland Public High School still surviving as year after year we have to deal with budget cuts, loosing teacher after teacher even with the increase of the income tax, because our old mayor wanted baseball instead of paying attention to education. We spent $30 million on a nice esplinade on the less used waterfront on the north side of the river. It's hardly used, but it is nice. We have a bad homeless/beggar population in the center of the city, making it undesirable to go, especially for those who work in the area. Our state has a terrible meth problem. With all this said, nonetheless, besides Portland, the rest of Oregon is in good shape and beautiful. I do love living here!