Demoose
Topic Author

BA Citiexpress To Be Renamed "BA Red"?

Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:29 am

Just read on that well know 'rumour' website that British Airways Citiexpress which operates shorthaul services from regional UK airports is apparently going to be rebranded as BA Red and is to be a low cost, all jet operation, including 737's. Announcement expected next month. They say if its not broke don't fix it, but i'd say BACX isn't the well oiled machine it was meant to be!
Anyone have any further information about this?

Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky

richardw

RE: BA Citiexpress To Be Renamed "BA Red"?

Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:37 am

Is "Red" the financial situation it is likely to get into?

If BACX needs improving, BA should do research through "mystery passengers" and then respond to findings to improve it.

speedmarque

Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:42 am

Is BA Red (BARED) a good name!?  Wink

cheers

fbgdavidson

Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:42 am

Quoting Demoose (Thread starter):
Just read on that well know 'rumour' website that British Airways Citiexpress which operates shorthaul services from regional UK airports is apparently going to be rebranded as BA Red and is to be a low cost

Why does this have a hint of the 'bmi baby' about it  Sad
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

backfire

Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:43 am

Sounds like a wind-up...BA Red is just the word "bared"...as in stripped down to the basics...which is amusing but I'd be surprised if this is seriously being considered.

mainMAN

Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:51 am

Bearing in mind that BACX has just stripped out its non-primary business destinations, I can't believe this.

I did a bit of an inventory of BACX's new revised ops from Manchester yesterday. In addition to GB Airways, the BA list is still sizeable for an airline offering scant hubbing opportunities.

mainMAN

Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:55 am

Quoting Backfire (Reply 4):
BA Red is just the word "bared"...as in stripped down to the basics

Just occurred to me, the perfect new name on the side of BACX aircraft would be......pprune.org !

Demoose
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:57 am

Well when I first read it i thought it meant going lowcost would = BA (in the) Red lol.

Changes seem to be afoot at citiexpress, not sure if they would be as radical as a complete downgrade to low cost though. All you need to do is look at what bmi has done with bmibaby. Confusion emerges once you have 2 airlines operating alongside each other, one low cost and one full frills, inevitably there is a cross over and an overall lowering of service.
Take a ride...fly across the sky

coewr777

Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:27 am

What is there fleet break down. And if you know how many of each A/C?

thank you

Shamrock_747

Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:46 am

Whilst some rather drastic changes wouldn't surprise me, the name "BA Red" sounds far to classless and cheap to be true!

Jaspike

Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:50 am

Quoting COEWR777 (Reply 8):
What is there fleet break down. And if you know how many of each A/C?

This should help:
http://jethros.i12.com/FLEETS/Listings/BA_CITIEXPRESS.htm

Tom

mainMAN

Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:02 am

Quoting Shamrock_747 (Reply 9):
Whilst some rather drastic changes wouldn't surprise me, the name "BA Red" sounds far to classless and cheap to be true!

Good point....BA Blue would be better, and why not jump onto the current blue bandwagon. It seems almost synonymous with airlines now.

You see, it's only a rumour and already, it's got the wrong name!! There's no hope!

BDKLEZ

Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:46 am

Quoting Richardw (Reply 1):
If BACX needs improving, BA should do research through "mystery passengers" and then respond to findings to improve it.

Well now, this is why bmi have introduced it's "modular" business model out of LHR, because passengers have indicated that they would prefer it. Bullshit! Mystery shopper stats give the airline an excuse to introduce change without the involvement or influence of the airline's customers, because mystery shopper research is done internally and results can be "tweaked" any which way the company wants them to be publicly represented.

I can't see it personally. BA would not (I hope) make the same mistake as bmi by introducing a low-cost service with the same name and referencing as the parent company. If one goes down, it'll take the other down with it. Guilty by association!

scratchchin   scratchchin   scratchchin 
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

Orion737

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:28 am

We dont all want no frills. There are plenty of no frills airlines for those that want them but please give us Northerners at least one full service airline to choose.

MYT332

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:10 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 13):
but please give us Northerners at least one full service airline to choose.

That's one of the best lines ever.
One Life, Live it.

Candid76

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:12 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 11):
BA Blue would be better, and why not jump onto the current blue bandwagon

Surely not? Manchester is synonymous with the colour Red.

MYT332

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:17 pm

Quoting Candid76 (Reply 15):
Manchester is synonymous with the colour Red.

No that's trafford. Manchester is Blue.
One Life, Live it.

Orion737

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:18 pm

I will be red, red with rage, if BA one of the few airlines where I can still get a hot meal and a cup of tea, decided to start charging for sandwiches and ripping ovens out of galleys!

Candid76

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:20 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 17):
I will be red, red with rage, if BA one of the few airlines where I can still get a hot meal and a cup of tea, decided to start charging for sandwiches and ripping ovens out of galleys!

Good grief, I'd be enraged too if they started removing equipment of that size from galleys during the flight...

cornish

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:22 pm

Well if they do go down the one-class no frills route then the name BA Red would be very appropriate fellow Comrades  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

azjubilee

Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:00 am

Didn't they learn their lesson with GO?

AZJ

Orion737

Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:05 am

I saw this move coming when Willie Wonka took over at BA. He thinks he can do with BA what he did with EI in the short haul market.

richardw

Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:57 am

There are enough people in the UK who will pay to fly frilled and business class, BA would be stupid to ignore this market.

7LBAC111

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:11 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 17):

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 21):
I saw this move coming when Willie Wonka took over at BA. He thinks he can do with BA what he did with EI in the short haul market.

I see the 'new' Orion still hasnt emerged.....  sarcastic 

Listen, BA will do whatever they feel will make their currently unprofitable short haul network profitable. 'Willy Wonka' did a bloody good job turning EI around, whether you like the business model or not, and I'm sure he'll have the same success at BA. That is of course, if this is true. WHich has yet to be confirmed.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

monkeyboi

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:17 am

Maybe 'BA Red' is some sort of internal project name?

mainMAN

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:14 am

Quoting Candid76 (Reply 15):
Manchester is synonymous with the colour Red.

(sharp intake of breath)  Wow!

I feel in need of a lie down now

And what a fantastic job he seems to have done too......what's the problem with this?

BAxMAN

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:45 am

I hope that BA do radically review their shorthaul flights from outside of London. The North is a very cost sensitive market and Citiexpress is being pushed out of every market where new competitors emerge. It is in desperate need of an overhaul. 'Go' is what Citiexpress should have become. Not a completely separate brand like WW was, but more like American Eagle

Some people, like Orion Yeah sure , will sulk at not getting a hot meal. Well, tough crap. Go via LHR if you want a poxy All Day Deli that badly.

A fleet of jungle jets doesn't help matters that much, but the situation hardly warrants the purchase of a bunch of B737's or A320's to compete. Virtually all passengers couldn't give a rat's tailend about what kind of plane they are on, as long as they feel that they are getting value for money. BA's highly restricted fares on their regional shorthaul operation does not compare favourably at alll against the likes of FR, WW, U2 and LS at MAN/BRS/BHX/NCL.
I need to get laid

Candid76

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:38 pm

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 26):
A fleet of jungle jets doesn't help matters that much, but the situation hardly warrants the purchase of a bunch of B737's or A320's to compete. Virtually all passengers couldn't give a rat's tailend about what kind of plane they are on, as long as they feel that they are getting value for money. BA's highly restricted fares on their regional shorthaul operation does not compare favourably at alll against the likes of FR, WW, U2 and LS at MAN/BRS/BHX/NCL.

BA are in this mess because they failed to develop MAN into a proper hub, they only have themselves to blame. They have built up a network of point to point services which mainly don't feed into anything, therefore they are relying on volume O&D traffic to make a profit. As you have pointed out, that is why they are getting slaughtered by cheaper O&D alternatives.

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 26):
A fleet of jungle jets doesn't help matters that much, but the situation hardly warrants the purchase of a bunch of B737's or A320's to compete

A fleet of RJs didn't help Independence Air much either. You can't run a LCC with RJs. Or even a hybrid part-LCC. Look what happened to Duo.

jmc757

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:34 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 13):
We dont all want no frills. There are plenty of no frills airlines for those that want them but please give us Northerners at least one full service airline to choose.

Yes there are people that want full service, like yourself. But unfortunately not enough to keep BACX profitable. Thats the key. Its no secret that BA domestic network is a mess and is not making the airline any money. Have you noticed a certain trend in the past few years. The trend that whenever a loco open a route in competition with BACX, they end up reducing services or dropping the route. Should this carry on until BA don't have a domestic network and just fly long haul from LHR?

He'd be right to assume he can, its his job. If he does the job as well as he did at EI then fair play to him.

I think that BA Red is a pretty rubbish name (i kinda think British Airways has ring to it?!) but if the project works and helps make BA domestic network a viable operation then I'd rather see that than the whole thing just slowly implode.