ProAir, Really A Pro?

Wed May 03, 2000 12:25 pm

Anyone know the latest at ProAir. I read in a post at planebusiness.com that some suspect it to last shorter than Vanguard. I know they cut some flights from Detroit City to the northeast. Additionally they have some oddball flights like an ATL-MCO, where I imagine they have no share compared to DAL, and AirTran. Also they have a flight from like PHL-EWR, which makes no sense to me. However they fly new, efficient, fast NG 737s and Detroit is a large market. On the other hand, we all know NWA, is far from "friendly competition" and is probably illegally slamming ProAir on overlapping flights. Will ProAir make it, or go down into the dregs or airline failures?

Matt D

RE: ProAir, Really A Pro?

Wed May 03, 2000 1:31 pm

Well, I'm surprised to hear that. True, I haven't heard much about Pro Air. But what I have heard has all been positive. I read somewhere that they secured "exclusive deals" with GM, or Chrysler or someone like that. Can anyone please elaborate? As for the oddball flights like PHL-EWR, I'm sure that is just to reposition the aircraft. Believe me, there is nothing unusual about that, the airlines have been doing that for years......
TWA and Northwest used to operate MD-80's between ONT-SNA.
Alaska operated MD-80s between ONT-BUR.
To name a couple.....
As far as I know, Pro Air is doing fine.....
If someone can confirm that their eulogy is in the making, PLEASE let me know! I need to get more pix opf them. I only have pix of 2 of their planes (the green tail and the orange tail).
Oh, BTW, their fleet is NOT 737NG.
They are NEW 737-400 (3), 737-300 (1)
Those are 737 CLASSICS.

Thu May 04, 2000 6:07 am

I also heard about the deals that ProAir signed with the big automotobile manufacturers. However, that can only fill so many seats and I neglected to mention earlier another competitor, Spirit Airlines and their new fleet of MDC 80s. However, I stand corrected, Pro's 737's are Classics, not NGs. Thanks Matt D.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Thu May 04, 2000 6:39 am

"Illegally slamming Proair on overlapping flights"?
The two airlines operate out of different airports. How can the flights overlap? Maybe you mean the same markets. What's illegal with Northwest matching Proair's fares in those markets? Sounds like competition to me. Northwest just happens to be a tough competitor and I admire that.

ATA757

PROAIR's Deal With GM

Thu May 04, 2000 11:41 am

I guess sometime ProAir is supposed to be buying/leasing several Saab 2000's! They will be using these planes to fly to small midwestern cities, with major GM productions, and deliver parts to/from Detroit! I know the main city for the part deliveries is Anderson, IN (AID), because all tail-lights on all GM/Saturn/Oldsmobile/Cadillac, etc. come from Anderson. And also, Delphi-E, a division of GM, is building their world headquarters in Pendleton, IN (where I'm from, look me up on the map)!!!  

ATA757

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos