Amir
Topic Author

Iran Air Soon To Start THR-BER Service

Wed May 03, 2000 6:35 pm

IR reported to start service to Berlin/Germany effective mid of June 2000.
Operation on day 2 with A300-600

rgds
Amir

VH-OJO

RE: Iran Air Soon To Start THR-BER Service

Wed May 03, 2000 7:02 pm

Bit off the subject, but IR operates a 747SP service to Vienna. The flight has been around for years now, but it is a very refreshing sight at VIE. The plane looks really exotic. Would really like to try it out one day.

Amir
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2000 7:11 pm

Hi VH-OJO

yes it is refreshing indeed. They have been flying into FRA with the SP on day 6 for the last two weeks! last monday they came with a 747-200!!!

I once flew with IR however it was not the SP just the 747-200 and it was quite O.K

Take care
Amir

P.s i hardly think they will make money on the BER-THR route. Having a flight once week is poison for your economics, plus their potential will be rather low yield. anyhow i wish them luck

Wed May 03, 2000 11:51 pm

Hi Amir,

is the flight gonna be in TXL ??

Rgds, B737-700

avion

Wed May 03, 2000 11:57 pm

Arent overseas flights only allowed to land in schoenefeld? And my second question: Will they keep Tempelhof?

Avion

Duerfen fluege die nicht aus Europa kommen, ueberhaupt in Tegel landen?

Avion

WorldTraveller

Avion

Thu May 04, 2000 3:36 am

Warum nicht? (Why not?)

Die Landebahn ist ein bischen kurz in TXL, aber für den A300-600 wird's reichen.

(The runway is a little bit short at TXL, but it'll be sufficient for the A300-600.)

Anybody wants to learn german?

Regards

Amir
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2000 3:39 am

Hi Guys,

well it was such a long and busy day at work today but nowiam off.

If i am not mistaken it must be Tegel.
Attn. Avion, well you are right somehow usually foreign airlines opt for Schönefeld like MS, ME, OM (Mongolian Airlines), Syrianair and others. Whereas there as some intercontinental flights departing from TXL but very few onyl. The thing is that TXL is almost saturated but in the absence of any clear decisions on the new BER airport and SXF is not expanding so much so they will try to keep Tempelhof also. It is damn convinent for some business travellers being in the middle of the city.
I wonder what strategy IR is doing on having flights to BER. The larget ethnic concentration is in HAM followed by FRA. Having a flight once w week can't attract any connecting business. But it*s a good positioning after all. Once Iran is back to usual economical growth its a huge market and i quess even LH could one day expand to daily flights FRA-THR.

Best regards
Amir

Thu May 04, 2000 4:08 am

Ja, lasst uns doch ein bischen Deutsch reden !!!

(Yeah, let's talk some German)

B737-700

Amir
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2000 4:40 am

Hi Guys, it would be fun to talk german but it would be unfair for the non German speakers  

The RWY at TXL is way good for the A300.600 after all LH has almost 50% of it's FRA-TXL flights operated with the European version of the A300-600 (270 Seats).

Best regards
Amir

avion

Thu May 04, 2000 4:44 am

But isn't there an official law that non-european carriers must use SFX?

Avion

SVG

Is Iran Air Reliable?

Thu May 04, 2000 4:47 am

Iran Air operates one weekly flight from Oslo to Teheran (via Larnaca), but in January Iran Air suddenly canceled that route for sevaral months (until today). Such things makes me wonder if Iran Air is a reliable airline or not.

ctbarnes

Thu May 04, 2000 4:48 am

Ich verstehe warum wir English reden muessen, aber es ist noch schade. Ich brauche die Uebung.

(I understand why we need to speak English, but it's still too bad. I need the practice).

Tchuss!

Charles
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Amir
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2000 4:50 am

As far as i know there is no law stipulating that Non EU Carriers to use SXF.
The SXF operation dates back to the times of the former GDR (German Democratic Republic) many carriers were serving this country and huge discussions came up after the reunification. And besides politicians are still pushing new entrants to SXF due to better slot situation.
For IR i would go to SXF (as i said earlier don't kill me if it turned out to be SXF what they are heading for! i am not 100% sure!!!) because the situation would be easier to handle the plane and the potential is low yield and will take the long ride to SXF withno major objection unless they are planning to feed the flight with some other intragerman traffice?

Take care
Amir

American_4275

Iran Air = A OK

Thu May 04, 2000 5:01 am

Just kind of following up SVG's question about reliability. I'm sure they're fairly reliable. I went on a flight with them a couple years ago (my relatives are all Iranian). The flight was smooth and the landing was magnificent. That's about all i know. Unfortunately i don't remember the aircraft....  

American_4275

Amir
Topic Author

SVG

Thu May 04, 2000 5:01 am

Well this is a pain in the neck with IR they have so many destinations which are operated at too low frequency this is poison! you can hardly fly in black ink on a route served once or twice week and then with a widebody!

This issue and the 747SP (astronomical cost) are the major operating problems with IR.
By the way most of the Iran Air fleet has been for years overhauld at LH facilities in HAM.

IR is one of the most important clients of LH Technic.

Brgds
Amir

LH423

Thu May 04, 2000 7:34 am

When Germany was two, and Communism ruled the East, people could not use Tempelhof, in the West. The East German government made their own field called Schönefeld. All East airlines like Aeroflot, some Chinese airlines, and hometown Interflug used Schönefeld. The West had Tempelhof, then a newer larger airport was built, called Tegel. Skip to today! Communism is all but extinct, and travellers have the choice of three Berlin airports. Each airport specializes in it's own area. Schönefeld, as it was once in the East, specializes in Eastern flights. Most Eastern airlines flying to Berlin, fly to Schönefeld. Most scheduled, major, airlines fly to Tegel, and most general aviation, and some regional inner-Deutschland flights fly out of Tempelhof.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Amir
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2000 8:29 pm

have checked regarding which airport in Berlin:

IR will be flying to TXL (Tegel)

flight IR724 departs TXL on day 2 14:25 and arriivs in THR at 21:25

rgds Amir

Source: Amadeus