philipj

Anyone Flown The PrivatAir/Swiss BBJ2?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:53 am

Coming up at the beginning of October, I will be heading over to Zurich for work and will be flying on the all-business-class BBJ2 operated by PrivatAir on behalf of Swiss. The BBJ2 flight operates 6 days a week (ex Saturday) between Newark and Zurich and replaced the A330 that Swiss was operating on this route at the beginning of 2005.

I've flown the BBJ operated by PrivatAir on behalf of Lufthansa from Newark to Munich a number of times and assume the service will be fairly similar. There is a nice brochure on the Swiss website that shows the cabin layout, photos and tries to make a comparison between the 2 services. While the lay-flat-and-slide-at-an-angle-to-the-floor seats look more comfortable than the cradle seats on the BBJ, this will be my first on an eastbound flight with the lay-flat seat (I've been on a Lufthansa A330 with their new Business Class, but only westbound). There is a lower ratio of flight attendants:passengers on this flight than the Lufthansa BBJ flight (4:56 as compared to 4:48).

Has anyone on this forum flown this particular aircraft and can relate any experiences from it? Does anyone know how full these flights have been running now that they've switched their services?

N328KF

RE: Anyone Flown The PrivatAir/Swiss BBJ2?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:02 am

A friend of mine (who was headed to Romania) flew ORD-DUS on that aircraft a few weeks ago. He was in heaven. Or would he have connected to ORD and then done EWR-DUS?
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

swisswings

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:44 am

I have flown EWR-ZRH on the PrivatAir BBJ in May 2005.
The cabin is all business class, spacious and very comfortable. Seats are ok, lie-flat with tilt angle 6° and with 60'' between the rows. IFE is with individual DVD players distributed by flight attendants. Service is standard Swiss Business Class, provided by PrivatAir flight attendants. I was very pleased with the overall cabin comfort and the private atmosphere onboard. Arrived relaxed and refreshed in Zurich. Recommendable. Pictures can be seen on the Swiss International Airlines webite.

HT

Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:06 am

Read this TR from 2002, but still interesting and from a very reliable source:
DUS-EWR With The BBJ And Same Day Return (by Fly-K Dec 1 2002 in Trip Reports)
-HT

EDIT: Wait, that TR is for a BBJ while the question was for the BBJ2. Sorry !

[Edited 2005-08-15 23:08:24]
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

philipj

Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:36 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 1):
A friend of mine (who was headed to Romania) flew ORD-DUS on that aircraft a few weeks ago. He was in heaven. Or would he have connected to ORD and then done EWR-DUS?

The service to DUS is flown from both ORD & EWR and is on an A319LR. The seats look similar to those used on the BBJ2 (lie-flat).

SULUK

Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:38 am

I was on the inaugural flight in January this year from ZRH to EWR and found
the seats much more comfortable than Swiss' new seats in their A343 fleet. However, inflight service/entertainment is better on LX own A/C. But you will definitely like the private atmosphere and the whiff of luxury...
we are swissair /+/

SK973

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:02 am

Anyone know how full these flights usually get?

Was thinking of trying to do a non-rev trip with them!  Smile

planesailing

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:05 am

I hope someone can explain.

I take it Swiss charters this plane to fly the route. Do you have to pay business class fares, and does this mean Swiss does not fly any aircraft on the route. Surely the capacity drop from an A330 to a BBJ2 is huge?

Sabena332

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:12 am

Quoting Planesailing (Reply 7):
Do you have to pay business class fares

Yes, of course.

and does this mean Swiss does not fly any aircraft on the route

No, ZRH-EWR is only served by the Privatair 73H (and by CO with a 762).

Surely the capacity drop from an A330 to a BBJ2 is huge?

Sure but a small all Biz Class configurated aircraft can bring more money than a 2 or 3 class 332. DUS is the best example, the ACJ flights to EWR and ORD seem to be very successful. I flew DUS-EWR and ORD-DUS on them and my girlfriend and I were lucky to get a free seat on both flights (we were traveling on stand-by tix).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

planesailing

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:18 am

I had never heard of this situation, thanks for the heads up. This is a similar service to what Eos is planning itself across the pond to the UK then.

ZRH

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:37 am

As mentioned: Swiss uses between ZRH and EWR the only business class PrivatAir 737BBJ (only 56 pax). On the ZRH-JFK route they have their own three class A 343 and 332.

HT

Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:36 pm

Quoting ZRH (Reply 10):
PrivatAir 737BBJ (only 56 pax).

They "cramm" 56 pax into that BBJ2, while they have only 48 pax on the shorter BBJ flying MUC - EWR for LH ?!
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

SR3496

Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:11 pm

The BBJ ZRH-EWR is a B737-800, rather than a B737-700 which is used on the MUC-EWR.
That's the reason for the 56 pax instead of 48 pax.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos