Gary2880
Topic Author

BAA Interview Help

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:08 pm

Hello

how are you. I have a job interview for the BAA on the 25th for security Officer, they kept putting the closing date back from the 7th to 12th then 18th so I guess applicants are thin on the ground. Anyway like I said its on the 25th but they said its from 8am to 4pm! bloody long interview. I would guess its some sort of tests or something. If anyone working for BAA or gone through the process in the past could drop me a few hints as to what I should expect what to prepare for etc... It would be gratefully received. Feel free to email me if you don't want to post it in the forum

thanks for all your help

Gary
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

PipoA380

RE: BAA Interview Help

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:11 pm

Well I can't help you much, all I can do is wish you good luck!  Smile Cheers, Philippe
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

zonky

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:22 pm

Well, preparing for the itnerview: You'll be walking down the corridor to the interview, and you'll think you're nearly there, but there will be ANOTHER starbucks, and then another Socks shop, then another bookshop then ANOTHER starbucks. In the interview room there will be a lack of places to sit, so you'll be forced to go back to the overpriced shops to browse for something to do. Then they'll not actually announce WHICH interview room it's in so you'll mill in the shops for an extra hour until 5 minutes before the interview starts so you'll have to RUSHRUSHRUSH to make it in time.

GAH! BAA!

LGW

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:35 pm

ROTFL Zonky,

You forgot to mention having to pay BAA's bargin parking prices too  yes 

Cheers

Ben Pritchard

Gary2880
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:28 pm

lol! so true.

luckily its in the fire station so hopfuly i wont get too lost. still a worrying length of time though.

luv2fly

Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:53 pm

Check out your local book shop as there are a ton of books on interviewing tips that will be a big help.
You can cut the irony with a knife

egmcman

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:10 am

Practice if possible think of the main your strengths that meet the requirements/ copetences required for the vacancy. Have a few questions to ask at the end thank the interviewer and say you are interested in the vacancy. Good general questions ask the interviewer what they enjoy most about working to BAA and how long they have worked for them. Also another handy tip if you are offered a drink use it to give you time to think of answers for any questions you are asked.

Good luck

hope this helps

egmcman

Gary2880
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:27 am

dont run in screaming give me the job!!!! gotcha

brown nose but not ott

well i hope i can get it. really want a job i hate sitting doing nothing i just want to work work work

Demoose

Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:37 am

All the best in your interview, going of personal experience all I can say is relax and be yourself and you'll do fine. I was in the training centre at Manchester Airport today and there were a fair amount of new security officers going through their training, sounds ok from what they were saying apart from the long shifts, there's a good bit of banter amongst them anyways! I'm sure BAA are pretty much the same as MAAS.  bigthumbsup 

Good Luck,
Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky

Airplanepics

Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:00 am

Quoting Gary2880 (Thread starter):
Anyway like I said its on the 25th but they said its from 8am to 4pm! bloody long interview. I would guess its some sort of tests or something. If anyone working for BAA or gone through the process in the past could drop me a few hints as to what I should expect what to prepare for etc...

It won't just be an interview. You'll be asked to complete some aptitude tests, and maybe some team building exercies.

I had to do the same thing a few months back after I applied for an engineering apprenticeship at Stansted.

Found out today that I didn't get the job, but am on the reserve list. Not bad considering 170 odd people applied!

Simon.
Simon - London-Aviation.com

nighthawk

Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:05 am

I applied for security guard a few years ago. You will be asked to watch a short video showing a few security issues, and will then be asked to write down all the issues you saw. Dont worry, this is easy, just things like a van parked right next to the airport fence, with a ladder truck thingy on the other side.

You will then fill in the standard forms, including Counter Terrorist Check forms, when filling this in i would recommend not ticking the "are you related to terrorists" or "have you ever plotted to overthrow the government" boxes.

After that just a standard interview, questions like do you prefer working in a team or individual, give examples of where you have shown leadership, examples of showing your own initiative etc etc

I didnt get the job,hope you do better than i did...

Gary2880
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:20 pm

Thanks hawk, I got a letter and big form to fill in this morning so will have to set about doing that, disclosure forms security forms and health forms, it says we have to do a roll play thing, watch pratice sort of xray screening things sort of like a spot the difference thing, dear dear dear

unitedgirlie

Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:30 am

good luck for the interview and hope you get the job!!

judging by the staff BAA employ at heathrow, and judging by the brainless way the duty managers run around during a minor crisis (from personal experience and for anyone to see on airport) you have to really lack brain cells not to get a job, well either that or that is the main criteria to actually get the job!!

if you have to do tests dont worry about it if you struggle a bit and some people are cocky finishing before time etc.....when i did my tests for united it was all of us who admitted to struggling and worrying about the way the q's were worded who got through to the interview, the cocky ones were the ones who got sent out right away!!

still wondering how I got my job.....one of 16 out of at least 150 who did the tests....dont know how many cv's they binned before that!!

just keep your cool and have a good head on that day ie feel fresh and ready!!

good luck!