philb

Flytecomm Accuracy

Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:12 am

Have a look at the disclaimer information in red on this page: http://www.flytecomm.com/cgi-bin/trackflight

Does anyone recall when this was added?

In the past I've had a number of flights showing a given position or showing information on Flytecomm which was totally erroneous.

As all of these were outside US/Canadian airspace I deduced that the information was gained from both ACARS info and radar and, when an aircraft was outside North America, the info was based on the last ACARS info passed to Flytecomm and the flightplan.

Since this panel appeared it seems that the info is only radar generated which must leave the info on trans Atlantic, Pacific and South/Central American flights based on flightplan only outside of US airspace.

FLYiCRJ

RE: Flytecomm Accuracy

Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:22 am

That happens to me all the time...I check with IAHCSR to see when Peter Max is coming into EWR...I check FLYTEcomm...and see that he is still in-flight..so I rush to get to EWR and he already landed. Sometimes I seen them off by 45mins to an 1 hour...in Peter Max's case...one time they were off by 3 hours...I check Flytecomm it said he had 2 hr 43 mins of flying left...I called continental and they said the plane already landed!!!

philb

Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:37 am

Two examples I had.

A couple of years ago my daughter was travelling from Dallas to Lima on AA. The flight left DFW at 10.00 pm Ireland time. I checked it airborne OK but when I looked an hour later the flight had been deleted from the database, the track trace showed as stopped about 30 minutes out fo DFW. Used to glitches I checked the AA site which still showed a Lima ETA and was continually updating. When my daughter returned she reported that on climb out from DFW they had had the PA and all the lights go out and the crew apologised saying they had accidently hit a wrong switch (circuit breaker?) and I wondered if the ACARS output had also been affected and not been re-established by Flytecomm before the aircraft entered Mexican airspace.

A second instance was a year or so ago. I was monitoring Shanwick HF when a Virgin A340 had an on board problem at around 25 West. It initially asked for diversion to SNN. I went to Flytecomm to watch it turn around. It didn't. It kept heading towards Labrador - at least on Flytecomm. As it overflew SNN I could see the aircraft which, by that time was showing well on track to Canadian airspace.

The aircraft continued to LHR and, by the time Virgin's home page had it on the gate in Terminal 3, Flytecomm had it heading down over St Anthony. Ten minutes later the aircraft appeared on the map on approach to LHR!

ouboy79

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:45 am

FlyteComm is extremely poor from my experience. NEVER use it if you want to follow any diversion events - they are never listed. Flight Arrivals - though they have their small window for arrivals - is still the best with that.

senorcarnival

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:51 am

Quoting Ouboy79 (Reply 3):
FlyteComm is extremely poor from my experience. NEVER use it if you want to follow any diversion events - they are never listed. Flight Arrivals - though they have their small window for arrivals - is still the best with that.

FlyteComm processes diversions, just in their own jacked-up way. Last Tuesday, when the AF CDG - IAH flight got diverted to SAT, FlyteComm didn't show an AF arrival for SAT, but under IAH, it showed an AF SAT - IAH flight instead. So if you want to check for diversions, also check the original destination of the diverted flight. Flightarrivals is odd at times, but it is indeed more accurate within their own limited timeframes.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

Newark777

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:13 am

I use flytecomm combined with http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrfidsframe.htm to get my approximate arrival times. Luckily, the one time I really wanted to see PM, flytecomm was almost dead-on.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

lincoln

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:52 am

Quoting Philb (Thread starter):
Does anyone recall when this was added?

I've been using FlyteComm on and off for about a year and a half now and it has been there as long as I can recall (although it does sound like they may have reworded it)
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile