whiskeyhotel

The Scotsman Claims BOB On BA Shorthaul...

Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:36 am

I was reading The Scotsman today in the Golf Tavern, when I came across an article claiming that BA is considering Buy-On-Board for its short-haul and domestic services. Is this just another case of a newspaper getting its airline news hopelessly wrong, or is BA starting to tread the murky path of its listless, downward spiralling cousin, BD? Who in their right mind would pay a full Y fare to get tier points with a BOB system in place? Has BA lost their minds, or has The Scotsman?

David L

RE: The Scotsman Claims BOB On BA Shorthaul...

Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:58 am

Well, in a questionnaire I filled in recently on a BA flight, I did say I'd rather pay 3 quid more and get food worth 4 quid instead of those awful "sandwiches". I'm getting fed up spending most of the day travelling, with very little time between flights, and getting a couple of tasteless half slices of bread with a wafer thin coating of cheese or half a tortilla with two prawns and two square centimetres of lettuce to keep me going. Either that or I get a little box of cakes and sweets for my breakfast/lunch. Their sandwiches remind me of the old British Rail fare. You can get really good sandwiches in Heathrow at a retail price of 4 quid - why don't they use them?

Do they still do cooked breakfasts on the early GLA-LHR flights? That was something they did much better than most airlines I've flown on. If they do, I'll make sure I get one of those early flights.

rossbaku

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:19 am

Quoting David L (Reply 1):
Do they still do cooked breakfasts on the early GLA-LHR flights?

I don't know about the GLA-LHR route but on the 0635 BA2921 from ABZ to LGW they did a fantastic cooked brekkie: sausage, bacon, egg, tomato, mushrooms, tea, orange juice, roll with jam (best of all it was roasting, unlike some plane meals). Wow! Just thinking about it makes me want it!

RossBaku  Silly

David L

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:31 am

Cheers, RossBaku! (Nice jersey  Smile)

7LBAC111

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:51 am

See this.... http://www.airliners.net/discussions...eneral_aviation/read.main/2270667/ I imagine it's the same rumour.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

David L

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:40 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 4):
I imagine it's the same rumour.

I still hope BA make some improvement to the food on their mainline, short-haul services - and keep the hot breakfasts. The food was one of the main reasons I chose them in the past. If you're just doing one short-haul flight it's not a problem but you're doing GLA-LHR-GVA, you can be pretty hungry by the time you get there.

As usual, the questionnaire I filled in was flawed. I could choose a free hot meal at meal times, a free hot meal at all times or free snacks - i.e. I couldn't choose a hot meal at meal times for £5 more and there was no option to buy on board. So only my comments at the end were of any use.

rossbaku

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:29 am

Quoting David L (Reply 3):
Nice jersey

Wink Till I die mate, till I die!  Wink

trekster

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:41 am

I've not heard about this,though im lowley customer support.

Must investigate more when i get to workint he morning
Where does the time go???

scotron11

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:52 am

Whatever. Some folk are saying that BA are claiming savings on their "outsourced" catering cost as profits. So what? BA is doing what any "free enterprise" entity would do.

Hopefully they get their act together and get rid of these total "ass*****s that succeeded in bringing a class airline to its knees.

TGWU die, as you have no respect from me!

irelayer

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:14 am

If this sounds completely disgusting to you, try travelling domestically in the US. Only CO still serves full meals here. Even the longest sectors on almost every airline are now mostly BOB. UA SAN-ORD, which is a 4.5 hour flight, has only BOB in Y. Imagine that. Americans have learned though, they just bring stuff on the plane now and don't expect whatever is offered by the airline to be any good anyway, which is pretty accurate. BOB = prepackaged foods, because the whole point is to not have the flight catered, and not have to deal with meal service. So you will be paying 4 dollars for a "snack box" with (perhaps) a sandwich and some packaged snacks.

-IR

BDKLEZ

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:35 am

Might make BD look not so "out of touch" then after all if this move actually goes ahead. They could even claim the title of "industry innovator" if BA actually follow suit. However, it doesn't actually change the overall mudddle that BD is in. But maybe BD's "modular" idea is rubbing off on Willie Walsh.
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

David L

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:10 pm

Quoting IRelayer (Reply 9):
Americans have learned though, they just bring stuff on the plane now and don't expect whatever is offered by the airline to be any good anyway

At least if BA stopped claiming to serve "meals", I'd know to bring my own food along. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer BA. I've only experienced BOB once, with Swiss. It might have been expensive but it was good. I'd rather pay £10 for something decent than get mouse food for nothing.

Quoting Rossbaku (Reply 6):
Till I die mate

Not this weekend, hopefully!

AIR MALTA

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:40 pm

Well I don't know what are you talking about. The last time I flew BA to/from Vienna the all day deli box was very tasty. It consisted of a fruit salad, a yughort, a juice and a cake, plus a choice of warm pizzas or ciabbata to choose from. So it is not mouse food as some mean.

OS has BOB and sometimes you want a ciabatta bread with salmon but they don't have it especially on the late flights. So you make a journey and you stay hungry...

BA should stick to what they are doing the best : quality service. And a lot of other airlines like LX are reintroducing free food because a mixed service under one roof does not work especially when you say your a quality airline.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

David L

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:36 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 12):
The last time I flew BA to/from Vienna the all day deli box was very tasty. It consisted of a fruit salad, a yughort, a juice and a cake, plus a choice of warm pizzas or ciabbata to choose from. So it is not mouse food as some mean.

I've never had anything like that since they stopped providing "meals" as meals. I wasn't exaggerating in my description above - I seriously wouldn't pay £1 for what they've given me recently. There are still a few of us left who like a bit of protein between getting up and having their evening meal! I just have to stop hoping "it'll be better this time" and make sure I take my own food along.

My next flight is a 07:30 departure so maybe I'll get the hot breakfast.

AIR MALTA

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:44 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 13):
My next flight is a 07:30 departure so maybe I'll get the hot breakfast.

May be if the strike is over at GG  Wink
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

SNATH

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:08 pm

They did in May when I flew that route. They also had cooked breakfast MAN-GLA when I flew them in July.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/58206/
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/61243/

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

avroarrow

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:15 pm

Perhaps if they combined the BOB service with a BYOB option it might make it easier to take. I know that tipping a couple usually takes away my hunger.  Smile
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

David L

Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:56 am

Cheers, SNATH, looks good... as long as 07:30 isn't considered "mid-morning"!

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 14):
May be if the strike is over at GG

Well, yeah! My second leg is LHR-ORD and they've got just under 3 weeks to get it sorted. If not, can I bring a fridge, a portable stove, a grill and a frying pan?  Smile

SNATH

Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:10 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 17):
as long as 07:30 isn't considered "mid-morning"!

The flight from GLA was indeed really early (6am I think), however the flight from MAN was reasonably "late" (9am).

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

David L

Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:30 pm

Thanks - my mouth's watering already!

N

Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:25 pm

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/dshutl/public/en_gb

'We offer you a hot breakfast on our early morning flights to and from London, and after 10am, we offer our contemporary 'All Day Deli' menu which is prepared with the freshest ingredients. There's also an excellent selection of drinks - both soft and alcoholic - to suit your mood.'

From my experience, the 'meals' on Citiflyer operated flights tend to be much smaller and less impressive than mainline BA flights. But even on morning routes such as EDI to BHX or MAN a hot breakfast is still served.

Orion737

Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:28 pm

I will second the fact that BA Citiexpress meals are smaller and less impressive. One half of a sandwich and the tinest piece of cake I have ever seen was what was served up on my latest BA Citiexpress flight from MAN-NCE!

I really hope BA does not go down the BOB route.

David L

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:40 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 21):
I really hope BA does not go down the BOB route.

I guess there's BOB and there's BOB. If they did it well, I'll be all for it but if they just sold crap, then I don't know what kind of drink would "suit my mood"! Another other problem would be consistency - if it's good sometimes and not so good at other times, how would we know whether or not to bring our own. At least if it was always bad, I'd know what to do.  Smile

whiskeyhotel

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:14 pm

I'll be doing BA EDI-BRS (BA 4033), then BRS-CDG (BA 4084) on Tues...anyone have any idea what sort of meal service those flights will have? Am also curious as to what equipment I'll be on. I booked through OneTravel (who unfortunately don't give equipment type when making a booking).

Orion737

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:15 pm

Yes but if they go BOB, you can probably wave goodbye to the hot meals on short haul and they will do like the crappy WW, FR and EZY do and offer you a £2.00 cup of soup (weak as water) or a half-frozen sandwich for about £3.00

David L

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:10 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 24):
they will do like the crappy WW, FR and EZY do and offer you a £2.00 cup of soup (weak as water) or a half-frozen sandwich for about £3.00

They could do that or they could do something better and charge more. I certainly wouldn't expect any bargains. They could start with a wider range and see what people buy. As I said, the worst thing they could do for me tempt me with idea that it might be good sometimes.

BA380

Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:31 pm

I would be very surprised if they did it soon -- they have only recently instigated a new policy of hot breakfast on all Y shorthaul (cookie brekkie on domestic and a warm breakfast roll in Europe, broadly speaking).
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...