goinv

BA's Website - How Reliable Or Accurate Is It?

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:54 am

This is a rather complex story - I'll try and put it in writing as simple as possible....

I have booked a journey through British Airways' website for travel from Inverness to Barcelona. All BA flights to/from Inverness leave/depart from Gatwick, whereas London to Barcelona Ba flights go from either Gatwick or Heathrow. Here's my itinery:-

0700 INV-LGW
1415 LGW-BCN

1430 BCN-LHR
1955 LGW-INV

This itinery was suggested by BA's website when I booked.

I have now found that a more appropriate flight from Barcelona would be the 1310 which goes direct to Gatwick - avoiding the need to transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick during a Friday afternoon rush hour on the M25 (normal bus time is 65 minutes and costs £17). I would then catch the original flight from LGW to INV.
I have contacted BA and requested to be moved to the 1310 to LGW but they say my ticket is not exchangeable, refundable or transferable.
My argument is that BA's website is not showing the best options and is biased towards Heathrow.....here are some examples....

0700 INV-LGW
1430 LHR-BCN arriving 1735 (even though staying in Gatwick and catching an alternate flight would arrive BCN 15 minutes earlier!)

1110 BCN-LHR
1950 LGW-INV - why show this with an 8 hour stopover in London when the 1310 BCN-LGW is not shown with the same flight to Inverness.

BA have checked their website and insist that the PC at their end does show the flights that I want and I should have booked them. I was sat in front of the PC at the time and couldn't see what they were seeing.

BA say, as a goodwill gesture they will alter my return flight (even though my ticket is not exchangeable) upon payment of the difference in fare.

As a footnote - the website doesn't even offer my outward flight options anymore - it insists I go to Heathrow!

Your comments, views, opinions would be appreciated.
Be who you are, The world was made to measure for your smile. So Smile.

Airbuff

RE: BA's Website - How Reliable Or Accurate Is It?

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:18 am

The only thing I can think of and I have looked at their website is that you have 2 search options. One is basically by price and one is by schedule. Meaning if you select price it will just look for the most economical price vs the best routing. Just my thoughts.
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

goinv

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:04 am

The search for best fares option shows practically no services (or those with 2, 3 or 4 changes. I used the "search for specific flights" option.
Be who you are, The world was made to measure for your smile. So Smile.

carduelis

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:12 am

All Reservations inventories are 'volatile' which means they change from minute to minute. Something that may not show on one day will possibly show as available on another. That's the way it is!

BA's website - I assume you mean the reservations part - IS totally accurate for the reasons mentioned.
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

BAxMAN

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:54 am

The OP is essentially correct with his grievance. Connecting flights that have LHR/LGW options are handled quite pitifully on the BA website.

The best way to get around the problem is to book a 'multi city journey' and specify LGW as a stop over destination. A bit of a crappy solution, I know.
I need to get laid

trekster

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:03 am

I do find it strange sometimes with the website.It shows something or i can get into something a passenger cant, and im just going thru as they would.

Im glad BA have changed ur booking, sometimes they are good like that.

(not at all against you by the way)

But i HATE it when passengers come on saying i want to change, when it CLEARLY says No changes permitted "Oh i did not see that" 2 Seconds after goin to the site,makinga dummy booking i say, well it says it here here and here. I know people dont read small print, i dont either, but it comes up at improtant pages where u have to click certain buttons, and even before payment (sorry bout my rant,i had a passenger screaming at me today about thisvery subject) and she really annoyed the hell out of me, finally passsing to a supervisor who said the same thing as me for 10 min's

Sorry i went a little of the topic, but im still annoyed now a little

Cheers

Dan
Where does the time go???

richardw

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:24 pm

I tend to use expedia to find the best routings and connections and then go to the airline's website or a travel agent to get the best price and avoid expedia's booking fees.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos