A Poll! Your Favorite Airport?

Thu May 04, 2000 10:55 am

Hi, let's have a poll! Which airport, any in the world, is you personal favorite? But let's not stop there, why is it your favorite? How often do you go there, etc?Mine would be Salt Lake Int'l. I love the atmosphere, there's not too much hassle, lots of good-food restaurants, and the mountains in the backgraound make it look great, with the desert on the other side. I go there maybe twice a year or so, and I look forward to it every time.
But, my favorite airport from reference in HNL. I have never been there, so I can't say much, but I like the pictures of it I've seen. Other than that, SLC wins!

Have fun      

Tropical Skies-
Fly to new horizons

redngold

RE: A Poll! Your Favorite Airport?

Thu May 04, 2000 11:07 am

Ahhh.... a toughie.
Even though WN is my favorite airline, and they don't fly to this airport, my favourite so far has to be KPIT (Allegheny County-Pittsburgh International Airport)... Bi-directional moving sidewalks with breaks every two gates, air mall with lots of shops and a wide variety, large chapel. The only beef I have with it is the new Terminal E, which is USAirways Express. It's OK if you're going to go straight to your flight and board, but it is shaped like a big M, and all of the services are centered in the middle of the bar, not the prongs. Not even bathrooms out on the prongs! So if your plane gets delayed, it takes ten minutes to walk back to get some food, then ten minutes to walk back to your gate, especially if you're at the end of one of the far prongs (where they put flights to KCLE).

Hmm... maybe KPIT isn't my favourite after all...  
Up, up and away!

LAS--Las Vegas McCarren Int'l

Thu May 04, 2000 11:08 am

I try to fly ths route whenever I can. I love the new terminals and I love that weather!! But SLC would come in a close 2nd.

desertjets

Thu May 04, 2000 11:09 am

BWI, I've been there quite a bit. It is a nicely sized place with a lot of flights throughout north america. It has the nicest obersavation deck in any airport that I have seen. The concourses are all a nice size, plenty wide, and not too long = short walk. In second place is PHX, especially once the T4 construction is done it will be nice. It is close to everything in the metro area. Easy to get to any terminal, a wide variety of aircraft, a wide variety of flights.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

777YYC

Thu May 04, 2000 11:13 am

SLC all the way!!!!
YYC comes a close second.

Thu May 04, 2000 11:21 am

YHM not very big at all but its my local airport I want to see it grow so I support it all the way?

UNITED777ORD

Thu May 04, 2000 12:12 pm

My favorite airport is ORD because it is the home of United Airlines. I love the airport because you see a variety of airlines and aircraft types at ORD.
ORD is the greatest airport in the world!!!!!!!!!!

-United777ORD

lax2000

Thu May 04, 2000 12:14 pm

I like older airport design like Dulles, jfk (twa term.) LAX Theme build. I guess once I'm in them I do enjoy the modern anemities like Jamba Juice or Wolfgang Pucks.
Also, a good variety of aircraft is also important, I cant be bothered with america west and south west 737s all day..boorring, I need some CHINA EASTERN MD11'S, EGYPT AIR 777S, AIR TAHITI AND AIR PACIFIC, VIRGIN, BA and SINGAPORE, ANA TO NEW ZEALAND..Anyway you get the picture..
LAX WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slawko

Hong Kong (First 1)

Thu May 04, 2000 12:17 pm

HGK is my pick, I loved that approach, although the terminal was not too great, and I had only flown in there twice it is still one of te best and most interesting experiances I have had at an Airport....
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

Pacific

RE: Hong Kong (First 1)

Thu May 04, 2000 12:20 pm

I love both Hong Kong airports, Kai Tak and Chek Lap Kok. I live there. Xiamen international airport in China was pretty good and Kansai international is also good.

Thu May 04, 2000 12:21 pm

I have yet to see a better airport in the US than PIT. Best gate to gate convenience and great shops that can't charge higher prices than the streets and malls. What more could you ask for?

travelin man

Thu May 04, 2000 12:25 pm

I second LAX2000! LAX by a mile in terms of:
- Aircraft & Airline variety
- Aircraft spotting locations
- The theme building
- The ability to go almost anywhere in the world NON-STOP
- Ease to get around/drop off/pick-up
- No need to walk/hike forever in a terminal building to get to your gate

I also like ORD based on most of these same criteria. (except for the lack of the theme building, and the need to hike between gates, especially in the American or United terminals)

airbus60

Thu May 04, 2000 12:34 pm

Mine was Kai Tak, because of the famous landing approaches and stuff.

But now it is London Heathrow (LHR), because of the amount of planes that land and take off from there a day is huge, who could get bored??

thankyou
airbus60
yeah

DeltaRNOmd-80

Thu May 04, 2000 1:35 pm

I must support my home airport, RNO. It is small with not really a dominating airline except for Southwest but not too many aircraft types (never a widebody, unless on charter or military). It is not even really an international airport, no international flights, no customs.... but it is nice with slot machines in the main shopping area.... nice atmosphere.

Rotate777

RE: LAS--Las Vegas McCarren Int'l

Thu May 04, 2000 1:39 pm

LAX- Many Varieties of planes. Lots of good places to take pics of the aircrafts. I try to visit at least 4 times a year. I visit my friend who lives there anyways.

SFO- My next closest airport (home airport after SJC). Many varieties too. Not to many good locations to take pics. Mostly indoor spots.

HKG- Kai Tak. Even though it is dead.

Rotate777

Thu May 04, 2000 3:14 pm

SIN

Thu May 04, 2000 11:42 pm

My favorite airport is Malta International Airport , small , friendly , 24 h mouvements , you take often a little walk outside to get to the aircrafts , good duty free and
a very special Maltese atmosphere !

My other favorite is Heathrow for its four superb terminals , its unique airlines collection , and it's superb viewing area at terminal 2 with that lovely gift shop !

Thu May 04, 2000 11:46 pm

My favorite airport is Malta International Airport , small , friendly , 24 h mouvements , you take often a little walk outside to get to the aircrafts , good duty free and
a very special Maltese atmosphere !

My other favorite is Heathrow for its four superb terminals , its unique airlines collection , and it's superb viewing area at terminal 2 with that lovely gift shop !

Fri May 05, 2000 12:53 am

My favorite is without a doubt Montreal Dorval Int'l, it's located on the island of Montreal, the approches are great, the terminal have been redone, all kinds of nice shops, restaurant. I go there 3 to 4 times a week my nose stuck in the fence right in line with the runways.

My second pick would be defenitelly KPIT, it's weel organized, clean, and i particularly like the US Airways concourse.

Nicolas Bourbillon

bacardi182

Pheonix

Fri May 05, 2000 2:25 am

its a wonderfull airport, it is hassle free, easy to get around, and has a strabucks rights near aa's gates   it also gets a good variety of aircraft (ba-747, aa-757, sw-737, kras-dc-10(still exist???), ect) i ussually go there once or twice a year. Also, i like how the admirals club has VERY good views of AA's gates and the runway.

i also like london's stansted, its much less hassel then lgw and lfr, its also closer to my cottage in norfolk   . i used to go there often when aa operated a flight there from chicago (767 i think). but its been a long time since i have been back  

bacardi182

Pheonix

Fri May 05, 2000 2:26 am

its a wonderfull airport, it is hassle free, easy to get around, and has a strabucks rights near aa's gates   it also gets a good variety of aircraft (ba-747, aa-757, sw-737, kras-dc-10(still exist???), United dc-10, northewest dc-10, delta-767, america west-A320, ect...) i ussually go there once or twice a year. Also, i like how the admirals club has VERY good views of AA's gates and the runway.

i also like london's stansted, its much less hassel then lgw and lfr, its also closer to my cottage in norfolk   . i used to go there often when aa operated a flight there from chicago (767 i think). but its been a long time since i have been back  

Louis

Nicolaki

Fri May 05, 2000 2:37 am

Also, there's that gold course right beside Dorval! I couldn't think of a better place to put a gold course!

RE: Louis

Fri May 05, 2000 3:41 am

I mean except the golf course  

tripple7

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Fri May 05, 2000 4:22 am

There can simply be just one best airport in the world. And to all of you who have been at Schiphol once, whether it was 10 years ago or yesterday you know it is true tha Schiphol is the best airport in the world.

see ya

Fri May 05, 2000 6:55 am

My favorite small airport is Austin-Bergstrom Int'l (AUS). It opened in May of 1999 and has a beautiful new terminal and two long runways. Providence - T.F. Green (PVD) is a close second.

My favorite large airport is Dallas/Fort Worth Int'l (DFW). The terminal layout is convenient and spotting facilities are excellent.

Bell X-15

Fri May 05, 2000 8:39 am

LHR-Terminal 4 in Particular.
Pulling up to the gate at about 8 or 9 in the morning and seeing a long row of 744,742,777 in various BA liveries, the flourish of morning Trans-Atlantic arrivals and the shock of hearing Concorde take off, nowhere else like it, paradise.

CXA330-342

Fri May 05, 2000 9:39 am

Singapore Changi. It has everything that I want or need in an airport. Plus, it is squeaky clean!

Fri May 05, 2000 10:40 am

i would say DFW because of the spotter/traveler friendly facilities but with the huge terminals, sometimes you have to hike to your gate, and you also get tired of looking at all of the AA 757,767,DC-10,MD-11, and sometimes even the 777 and if you are lucky, you will see an overseas airline, i like ORD because of the airlines, the aircraft and the shops(all big varieties) aswell as having large open windows good for spotting, the AAdmirals club is kind of hard to find but when you get there,it is worth the walk(I am not dissing DFW's 3 aadmirals clubs because the are great, just ORD is better) and you get a GREAT view of the AA gates and Int'l arrivals terminal.

HyperMike

Fri May 05, 2000 11:00 am

My favorite is also PIT-Pittsburgh International Airport, formerly known as Greater Pittsburgh International Airport. It's by far the easiest airport when making connections. From the initial design, this airport was planned to be a major hub. The planning has paid off, too. Connections are easy for passengers, and there are minimal luggage problems. If you want variety of airplanes, you see everything that US Airways flies here, but not much more.

Redngold, you called PIT Allegheny County-Pittsburgh International Airport. Please be very careful when you do this. A true Pittsburgher (ie ME) will be confused because AGC is Allegheny County Airport, a non-commercial airport near West Mifflin.

lima

Fri May 05, 2000 12:37 pm

Amsterdam Schiphol is my favourite. Its very convenient in terms of services, has a nice observation deck, good cafes, very clean and friendly staff everywhere (a true dutch product).

Carioca Canuck

Fri May 05, 2000 12:57 pm

SDU-Santos Dumont Airport in Rio de Janeiro.

The "city airport" is attached to a peninsula that juts out from the high rise office towers of the "Centro" district in Rio.

As the plane cruises in front of the beachs of Ipanema and Copacabana in the last stage of it's final descent the views are simply stunning as you bank across the bay and land right in downtown Rio.

It's also a great place for aircraft spotters too, as you can go to the top of "Sugar Loaf" and watch the planes land and take off right in front of you with a good camera or binos.

There's some photos on this site that are pretty good as well. I'm going there again in 10 days and I'll snap some pic's and see if they get posted here.

madmax

Fri May 05, 2000 1:26 pm

I'd have to say my favorite aiport is Fort Lauderdale(FLL). As of now they are completely renovating it and making bigger terminals. What a great approach over the ocean into FLL. My second fav. would be Denver. The new terminal is great.

TWFirst

Fri May 05, 2000 11:46 pm

I second that, Madmax. FLL is really easy to get in and out of. Anxious to see it when the renovation is completed.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Delta737

Orlando

Sat May 06, 2000 12:07 am

It's Orlando.

Even though I'm based here, it's by far the best laid out and the best poised for growth.

Each entrance has large boards showing all airlines, flights and destinations so if you're jumpseating, you can find alternative methods of travel.

Large interior that doesn't feel crowded although there is a constrant crush of tourists with children.

Lots of meal opportunities with tons of variety, as opposed to standing in line for 20 minutes for the "airport hot dog".

Ample parking, and very few (I really haven't had any) flight delays.

It's probably the largest airport that isn't sitting in the middle of a ghetto or highly industrial area (EWR, ATL, ORD, LAX, etc)

It's a highly organized airport and I hope my airline chooses to make it into more of a hub.

Easy connections... I could go on and on.

Doug Taylor
Delta 737 FO
http://www.jetcareers.com

TWFirst

Sat May 06, 2000 12:11 am

I haven't been to MCO Doug, but I've heard of its excellent design... was actually designed to move people most efficiently and it works. I've also heard the same about John Wayne in California (SNA).
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Sat May 06, 2000 3:50 am

I like ORD better than all other airports, mostly because I live right next to it, but also because I have not been to that many others.  
787 Italia - Io, il comandante dell'aria

deltairlines

Sat May 06, 2000 3:54 am

I second Delta737! MCO is my favorite airport because it seems very relaxed. The foyer area is very nice, with shops and a hotel located right in it. It is also very sunny with the skylights. By far the best airport, I think.

Jeff

John G

Sat May 06, 2000 5:10 am

London Heathrow. Hands down. No other airport can provide such a buzz.

John G

Sat May 06, 2000 5:45 am

I forgot to say Fiumicino a fair second place

Flaps

Sat May 06, 2000 12:28 pm

My top three would have to be PIT, PIT and PIT. Outstanding layout and design, especially for connecting passengers. Widest selection of shops and restaurants in the world. Nonstop service to nearly every major city in the continental U.S. International services could be better but are improving. As soon as Wolf and Gangwal come to their senses and realize that Philadelphia is a lousy connecting point this airport will reach its full potential.

Next in line would be Schiphol and MCO. Better diversity of airlines than PIT but definitely a cut below in layout and services.

LAX, DIA, Or CDG

Sat May 06, 2000 2:56 pm

I'll havta say LAX, its my home aeropuerto, has plenty of restaurants (wolfgang pucks is the best in the terminal) and I frequent it about 6 to 8 times a week. other recommended restaurants: Encounter in the Theme building (for a great view) and Proud Bird (great, no, fantastic approach view, great food - a meal is upwards of $20)

anzff

Auckland & Rarotonga

Sat May 06, 2000 3:52 pm

Auckland International is a class act - no congestion, great views of the runways and apron, good shops, no delays, its great!
And as for Rarotonga Intl in the Cook Islands - if your flight is during the daylight as you leave the aircraft you can see and hear the surf breaking on the reef. They have an old guy playing a guitar and singing in the arrivals hall with at least one beautiful polynesian girl dancing...and when you leave the check-in etc has a roof but open walls and 'departure lounge' is completely open air. a hedge and a (hidden) fence about shoulder height is all that seperates you from the apron and your plane!

Peter

Fri Jul 14, 2000 12:39 pm

Atlanta, because its the busiest.
Washington National, because it looks amazing.
Cincinnati. Very nice

Qantas737

Fri Jul 14, 2000 3:20 pm

I would have to say CPH Copenhaen Kastrup. Went there for the first time last year with SAS on a Boeing 767-300ER direct from Tokyo/Narita. Beautiful airport inside and out and it is easy to find your way around. Also has a real nice site where it was voted in a survey the nicest airport that poeple like. http://www.cph.dk

VirginA340

Fri Jul 14, 2000 11:05 pm

JFK, EWR, LHR, CDG, Tampa, Orlando, IAD, SFO, LAX and ORD
"FUIMUS"

Skyteam

RE: Orlando

Sat Jul 15, 2000 1:48 am

Atlanta: Very big!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Clean!!!!, Modern!!!!!, Excellent variety of aircraft.

Orlando: The most beautifully located airport in the U.S. Excellent for connections, Lotsa eating places, It gives you a "Welcome to Florida" feel. I love going their!

My airline Delta as you know is based out of Atlanta, and is the largest carrier at MCO.

ContinentalEWR

Sat Jul 15, 2000 3:05 am

Favorite airports:

Surprise, surprise, it's not Newark. Actually, my favorite airports in the
world are:

1). London/Heathrow (4-6 times a year)

2). Geneve Cointrin

3). Rome, Leonardo Da Vinci, Fiumicino

4). Seattle/Tacoma

5). Pittsburgh

6). Zurich, Kloten

USAirways737

Sat Jul 15, 2000 3:15 am

My Favorites:

1. MSP Better than ever since the "MSP2010" Project

2. PIT Love the Airmall and the shuttle train

3. CLT Big, but not too big, easy to navigate

4. CVG Love it love it love it love it

Least Favorite:

1. ORD great to spot at but I've been stuck there too much to like it anymore, but i do like the Wolfgang Puck

Delta15

Sat Jul 15, 2000 5:56 am

1=MCO Very beautiful Many flowers, cool planes flown in there... 8 times
2=Munich Muc Clean and very up to date Twice
3=Atlanta So much Traffic!!! once a month

Delta15

Sat Jul 15, 2000 5:56 am

1=MCO Very beautiful Many flowers, cool planes flown in there... 8 times
2=Munich Muc Clean and very up to date Twice
3=Atlanta So much Traffic!!! once a month