airbus60

Is This True.....

Thu May 04, 2000 12:29 pm

This might be a relative simple question to some, but I was told that they have to re-cement the area in which the planes land on ( touch down point ) every 2 weeks at Heathrow, because it wears away. Is this true??

Thanks
airbus60-

VC-10

RE: Is This True.....

Thu May 04, 2000 12:42 pm

I don't know if that is true, but I have read in a book about the Short Belfast that when they were developing the autoland system for it, they had to build a 'scatter' factor into the software as the a/c was always landing at the same point on the runway and 'potholeing it'

Tom in NO

Thu May 04, 2000 12:46 pm

They probably don't re-cement the landing areas every 2 weeks (in fact, i can pretty much guarantee they don't), but what they probably do do is to water-blast or chemical-blast away the rubber deposits that aircraft tires leave behind. The main problem is is that rubber makes the runway slippery (waterplane, etc), and it also eats away at the runway makrings.

I've heard from reliable sources that LAX does rubber removal on a different runway almost every night.

At MSY, we usually do rubber removal about once a year (which itself is probably not oftern enough), but then, we don't have LAX's or LHR's traffic.

Hope that helps.  

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

DeltaRNOmd-80

Thu May 04, 2000 2:12 pm

Here at RNO, we dig up the runways and taxiways and some of the apron every night and lay new cement and then repaint the lines.    

airbus60

Thu May 04, 2000 3:48 pm

Thanks a lot for your help guys,  

dnalor

Re: DeltaRNOmd-80

Thu May 04, 2000 4:02 pm

Why?

Kottan

Thu May 04, 2000 8:30 pm

Hi there

I remember those days, when the russians where in competition with the Brits/French during the development of the "new" supersonic a/c. E.g. the Concorde and the TU144 (first version).

There was the chief of the Aeroflot-Office in Paris who worked as a spy for the russian government. As the russians didn't know the exact combination of the rubber for the wheels of the Concorde he had to go to the Airfield, where the Concorde was tested and had to scratch the rubber from the runway!!!! Imagine!!!

As he was caught at the airfield by members of the Deuxiéme Bureau, the French sended a wrong combination to russia - which was something similar to normal chewing gum!!

How funny!!

Greetings out of sunny, warm Zurich.

Kottan