747-600X
Topic Author

ORD To Be Expanded! (Again...)

Thu May 04, 2000 1:49 pm

May 2nd's Chicago Tribune had a huge article once again declaring that O'Hare will hvae a 3.2 billion dollar expansion including the building of TERMINAL 4 (right now we only have 1, 2, 3, and 5... and there never was a 4) as well as TERMINAL 6. Also, Terminal 2 will be modified with 15 more gates. Terminal 4 would have 15 and 6, International and connected to the current International 5, would have 17. That's a total of 47 more gates! YEEHA!

jrlander

RE: ORD To Be Expanded! (Again...)

Thu May 04, 2000 9:26 pm

Wasn't the "temporary" international terminal called Terminal 4?

747-600X
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2000 1:22 pm

I didn't know there ever was a 'temporary' international terminal.

ripcordd

Sun May 07, 2000 2:20 pm

When they built T5 they called it T5 for a reason because they always had planned on building T4..

william

Terminal Two Has No Room For Expansion

Sun May 07, 2000 10:24 pm

Terminal two(the old UA terminal)if you look at it has no room for expansion. It is hemmed in,and cannot expand out,it would either interfere with the two taxi system,or interfere with UAs or AAs operations on both sides.

I guess they are just going to remodel the thing,it is one of the oldest terminals,looking as if its still in the 60s with its hard black plastic chairs.

I can't see the room for exspansion.

AF777

Mon May 08, 2000 2:56 am

The old T4 was located next to the main parking garage and had no actual gates. It only had mobile lounges that took int'l passengers to the planes.
I think T2 might have a little room for expansion if the concourse extends to the right slightly, Its hard to explain what I mean. If you look at a map, there is some space to the upper right of the terminal which could handle an extneded concourse

-wes

desertjets

Mon May 08, 2000 4:07 am

As the proposal goes UA and the other Star carriers would move into T2 as well. The remodeling might then only be done with narrowbody gates, leaving all widebody ops in T1? They might move the express operations there. It is agreed that T2 is pretty ancient, but I haven't been in there in about 8 years, I doubt it has changed much. I suppose somehow they know how to squeeze an extra 15 gates there, but I'd suspect they'd be narrowbody and regional jet sized gates. Any thoughts?
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

william

Desert Jets

Mon May 08, 2000 9:32 am

Configure the T2 for midsize and RJs only......Hmmm,that makes sense.

Hey,what about all these UA fans on this board. Don't you guys and gals know anything about your favorite airline planes for T2?

Funny how UA never fully left T2,and is coming back to it. The more things change the more they stay the same.

ctbarnes

Mon May 08, 2000 9:52 am

The plan is to put customs facilities into T2 for use by the Star Alliance Carriers, T4 will also have customs facilities for One World. The carriers located in T2 will be relocated to the proposed T6 which will be adjacent to Terminal 5. (Someone posted the map from the Chicago Tribune in a similar thread which has all this info).

BTW, there was a T4 which was the temporary International terminal. It was located behind the Hilton in the ground floor of the parking garage. Aircraft parked in a spot across from concourse L and were bussed to the terminal. I went through it once on a flight from London. It was great fun during the winter trying to avoid the ice on the stairs walking down to the bus in the bitter cold. Yuk.

Charles
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

AmtrakGuy

Mon May 08, 2000 9:55 am

What's the link to this article? I would like to read it and see the map.

Thanks.
Dave

ctbarnes

Mon May 08, 2000 10:10 am

Dave,

go to http://www.chicagotribune.com and do a search for the past week. You'll need to register (free) to see the article. The web edition has the text of the article, but unfortnuately not the diagram.

Charles
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

747-600X
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2000 12:40 pm

T2 is supposedly going to be expanded very slightly outward, but mostly they're just going to redo it, and yeah they'll be stuffing in some more gates. They'll also, as said, be adding customs facilities for int'l flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos