AlexG
Topic Author

KAL 744F Tyre Failure By Lost JAL 773 Metal Stripe

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:18 pm

Hello anyone,

please refer to:

http://aviation-safety.net/news/newsitem.php?id=1486

Was that topic already discussed here? Couldn't find anything while searching the forum...

So, the question is: What kind of "fuselage panel" of 40x200cm size (that's about 16x79") can a 777 loose without any major incident?

Anyone in the know?

--
Regards,
AlexG

air2gxs

RE: KAL 744F Tyre Failure By Lost JAL 773 Metal Stripe

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:02 pm

Quoting AlexG (Thread starter):
So, the question is: What kind of "fuselage panel" of 40x200cm size (that's about 16x79") can a 777 loose without any major incident?

Though I couldn't tell you what panel was lost, I can tell you that there are several aerodynamic fairings whose only job is to cover structural components and/or system components and make the area aerodynamically smooth. The loss of one of these panels would not cause a "major incident".

AlexG
Topic Author

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:25 pm

Thanks for your comeback, Air2gxs!

You're of course right, the correct word wouldn't be "major incident", as I didn't meant the necessity of some kind of accident due to the loss of the panel, but only some kind of further investigation... so let's call it an "issue"?

We all know G-BTSC's fate, hence lost parts might be a topic of increased attention. Second and more generally speaking, as a passenger and ground pedestrian, I definitely prefer aircrafts arriving at the destination gate with all the same parts they began their trip with (minus the fuel and some sewage...).

Don't want to create a big issue -- but since in this forum every delayed take off is tracked down right to the captains bad fish he had for lunch Big grin , I just wondered if anyone took further notice and could provide some more information.

Just because we're all doting on aviation details...

--
Gruß,
AlexG

dan2002

Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:03 am

Hurry up, someone sue Continental, quick!

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.