fraT

BA Still Without Catering Ex LHR?

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:04 pm

I heard from a German travel agent today that BA still sends out their flights from LHR without catering. And that will last until the end of the month. Would mean only water, tea and coffee but no food, other drinks and blankets.
Can anybody confirm?

flybmi330

RE: BA Still Without Catering Ex LHR?

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:09 pm

Quoting FraT (Thread starter):
Can anybody confirm?

Yup, go to ba.com and you can read all about it!

David L

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:09 pm

They are offering "some catering" before departure at Heathrow, apparently. No idea how long it's going to last.

IADLHR

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:26 pm

Does anyone have a realistic idea when this matter might be resolved. My wife and I were getting ready to make reservations on BA for Christmas when the strike broke out. We have waited to see what developed. We will be traveliong with kids so we would like to see this resolved soon, before we make reservations on BA.

If need be, I would have no problem at all booking on UA from IAD-LHR-IAD no problem at all.

Are we talking days, weeks, or months before this is resolved. Also, if it is resolved, will it be a viable solution or will it just be scotched taped together to come undone at a later time.

BestWestern

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:29 pm

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 3):
My wife and I were getting ready to make reservations on BA for Christmas when the strike broke out

IAD, the way you discussed BA in an earlier post, I'm surprised you would even consider British Airways.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

geoffm

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:30 pm

According to an email from BA this morning, yes they are still without full catering. Copy of email follows:

----------------------------------

As you are a valued customer to British Airways, I would like to provide you
with an update on the current problems we are experiencing with our onboard
catering, due to unofficial industrial action by our Heathrow catering supplier
Gate Gourmet.

Although British Airways services into and out of London Heathrow continue to
operate as normal, we have limited onboard catering. There will be some
catering provided at the airport prior to departure, however, we are continuing
to advise passengers, especially those with special dietary requirements, to
eat before arriving at the airport.

British Airways services to and from London Gatwick and UK regional services
that do not connect with London Heathrow have not been affected and are
operating as normal with a full catering service.

We apologise in advance for any inconvenience this situation may cause our
passengers and would like to assure you that we are doing all possible to
return to the high service standards you have come to expect from us.

For more information please visit http://ba.com

Yours sincerely,
-------------------

Geoff M.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:37 pm

Had a call yesterday from one of my First class pax about to board LHR SFO - BA had given him £40 worth of vouchers to go and buy food before the flight. He wasn't a happy camper.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

carduelis

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:14 pm

Didn't your First Class pax ask why his Travel Agent had not advised him of something which has been in the news and operation for over a week?

Was he not a happy camper because of that, or did his travel agent blame BA for the lack of food?
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

ARGinLON

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:18 pm

The passenger has every right to complain/be unhappy regardless of what the agent said or didn’t say.

fbgdavidson

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:25 pm

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 6):
Had a call yesterday from one of my First class pax about to board LHR SFO - BA had given him £40 worth of vouchers to go and buy food before the flight. He wasn't a happy camper.

What was he not happy about? To be honest the cuisine available at LHR means you can only buy so much Pret A Manger sandwiches!

Your passengers should have stuffed themselves in the First lounge beforehand....bacon baguettes, soup, salad etc etc. Presuming he/she had time, admittedly this doesn't make up for the First service by any stretch but better than sandwiches! Lounge food is not affected by the strike
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

CXA330300

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:29 pm

I have just flown SIN-LHR, and am scheduled to fly LHR-JFK. I can confirm that there is a drinks and snacks only service,in all classes.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

carduelis

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:31 pm

As the situation has been around for over a week, do you not find it surprising that the assumption is that the pax failed to listen to any advice from anybody, his agent, and particularly BA, with regard to the caterer sacking its staff and therefore not providing food?

If the first class pax had been advised, he could have at least changed his flight to another carrier rather than complaining on departure. I would be pleased to receive £40 on check-in!

Did it not cross your mind that the Texas Cowboy owners of Gate Gourmet are solely to blame for their failure to provide provisions according to a signed contract?

AIR MALTA

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:32 pm

I am surprised that BA did not take any action or work around to assure a minimum service expecially to its first and club passengers because they are those who are going to feel the most the drop of quality onboar their BA flights. If I was holding a FIRST ticket to or from LHR I would request a full service or switch to another airline till this situation gets back to normal. BA is my favourite airline but I don't know till when are they going to wait and let the whole First and Bussiness passengers go away to other airlines. VS must be very happy with what is happening now to BA.

Is it that impossible to get catering from other stations like JNB from JNB and CPT flights. I mean they should have a catering center there for BA domestic flights within SA. That could provide some food for the daily JNB-LHR-JNB and CPT-LHR-CPT?

BA could also start requesting some food (a partial contract) from another catering company to supply some food to BA's first and club passengers?

Waiting for Gate Gourmet to strike a deal would prove unfortunately very costly to BA.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

zonky

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:34 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 12):
BA could also start requesting some food (a partial contract) from another catering company to supply some food to BA's first and club passengers?

I imagine that BA is taking the view that such a scheme is likely to be meet with unrest from its own employees.

carduelis

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:35 pm

CXA330300

Thank you for confirming what has been the widely advised situation for over a week.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:40 pm

The pax I was refering to was fully aware of the situation beforehand - but like many of our dear clients who sit in the front of the bus, they don't assume that these problems actually effect "them".... it can be every other flight out of LHR that day but why theirs... Yes, he can eat before hand, but he doesn't want to. He's paid EUR4500 for the ticket, and he wants a meal on board, not £40 vouchers to feed himself beforehand.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

David L

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:50 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 9):
....bacon baguettes

Ooo... la-de-dah - we just have to make to with bacon butties!  Smile

carduelis

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:08 pm

The following picture shows about the size of just ONE uplift for a 747, when BA were supplying their own catering. With BA's fleet of 747s, 777, 767s, etc, just imagine the complexity of the operation worlwide on a daily basis. It is not only just food, it is all the ancilliary equipment that goes with it. The caption with the picture states over 28,000 catering items, most of which are custom made for the carrier, so difficult to actually change supplier at short notice.

Bringing in food from other stations also will not work effectively due to the fact that as Gate Gourmet are not carrying out their contract, there are none of theie catering vehicles being used on the longhaul ramps. If food were to be uplifted at say JNB, then any leftovers would not be cleared at LHR.

©Catering Excellence, British Airways

Skymonster

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:18 pm

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 15):
Yes, he can eat before hand, but he doesn't want to. He's paid EUR4500 for the ticket, and he wants a meal on board, not £40 vouchers to feed himself beforehand

And so would I if I'd paid that sort of money! Its almost worse than the strike that since the BA staff went back to work BA managers have failed to resolve the onboard catering problem one way or another - managers should do what they're paid to do and that's to find a fix to the problem, rather than prattling on in e-mails about how sorry they are.
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

LH423

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:21 pm

Is it that impossible to get catering from other stations like JNB from JNB and CPT flights. I mean they should have a catering center there for BA domestic flights within SA. That could provide some food for the daily JNB-LHR-JNB and CPT-LHR-CPT?

The problem is not the outstations. The problem is that when the plane arrives into London there is no GG staff to offload the used catering equipment. That's why BA can't offer catering on flights into LHR either, even though they have contracts with kitchens globally.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

zonky

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:21 pm

Quoting Skymonster (Reply 18):
And so would I if I'd paid that sort of money! Its almost worse than the strike that since the BA staff went back to work BA managers have failed to resolve the onboard catering problem one way or another

I don't see any other resolution in the shortterm. I'm sure BA are well aware that their own staff are likely to walk out or refuse to work on aircraft serviced by a 'strike breaking' concern.

AIR MALTA

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:38 pm

Quoting Zonky (Reply 20):
I'm sure BA are well aware that their own staff are likely to walk out or refuse to work on aircraft serviced by a 'strike breaking' concern.

I mean, what the hell are the staff thinking? If the situation says like it is now, it will be their turn loose their jobs. BA can not afford to stay without catering for a month. One week is already too much. If I was to book a flight now, I wouldn't choose BA. That's sad. And August is a month where the benefits soar. With this kind of action, BA figures won't be good. If the GG problem is not solved BA should think about a new caterer.

ARGinLON

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:48 pm

Well if a solution is not expected I wonder what the long term solution would be...

I am still amazed that the company is not coming up with alternatives and only relying on GG to sort its problems.

It would be interesting to see how many people are booking away from BA due to this issue.

Luckily for BA, August is not a strong booking month ex UK. Having said that, other markets such ex USA may be suffering this a bit more due to its late booking patterns.

carduelis

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:58 pm

Yes, it does make sense to get another caterer, but when you look at the size of BA's longhaul operation, there isn't much choice.

The fact that the catering unit (QCS) in question is located on a site of over 11 acres of prime LHR land must also reflect on the size of the situation, and where on LHR can you find another site of that size, let alone be mad enough to buy it and build a massive unit on top of it!

QCS only looks after the 'longhaul' (T4) flights. There is another Gate Gourmet catering unit (QCW) that supplies BA at T1 (not sure if it includes the T1 longhaul flights). Does anybody know if they are affected too?

[Edited 2005-08-18 17:15:21]

geoffm

Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:39 am

Is it that impossible to get catering from other stations like JNB from JNB and CPT flights.

There is a recent trip report on a SIN-LHR flight where it was explained that there would be nobody at LHR to handle the removal of the inbound food and equipment, as LH423 suggested.

Geoff M.

Speedbird2155

Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:22 am

Quoting Zonky (Reply 20):
I'm sure BA are well aware that their own staff are likely to walk out or refuse to work on aircraft serviced by a 'strike breaking' concern

Which BA staff are likely to walk out?? Certainly not the Customer Service Agents who have daily been asking for a solution to be found. However, most of us understand the complex nature in trying to find someone that can cater for the entire operation, even if just in First or Club.

Quoting FraT (Thread starter):
Would mean only water, tea and coffee but no food, other drinks and blankets.
Can anybody confirm?

This is incorrect. While a full meal service is not possible due to the situation, passengers are receiving deli boxes and bags which contain a sandwish/crossant and snacks. In addition, there is a beverage services which includes wine, beers, sodas, juice in addition to tea, coffee and water. There are however no spirits. Passengers also receive vouchers to be used at any catering outlet within the terminals. Passengers entitled to lounge access also get stuff there.

While some passengers are understandably not happy with the situation, from my experience and those of my colleague suggests that most passengers don't see it as a major problem and are happy to use the vouchers. Some passengers in First and Club have even return the vouchers at the gate and indicated that they were happy with what they had in the lounges.

Those of us who work for BA and love our job and airline are however hoping for a quick solution to this.

AIR MALTA

Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:05 am

Quoting Speedbird2155 (Reply 25):
Those of us who work for BA and love our job and airline are however hoping for a quick solution to this.

I hope so also  Wink

acefreighter

Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:37 pm

BA are saying that they have cold food on all Longhaul flights as of now and will be re-introducing hot meals on Longhaul ex LHR from Mon 22Aug.

monkeyboi

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:22 pm

Yup ACE is right.

On the BA staff intranet, say longhaul flights will offer hot meals from monday. In economy a choice of 2 hots or a deli bag option. There will be a 'limited' bar service with beer, wine and soft drinks. No indication of when the product will return to usual levels, only that discussions with Gate Gourmet 'ongoing'.

All short-haul flights will continue with no catering on board. A refreshment voucher for use in terminal food outlets will continue to be issues, along with at-gate catering.

ltbewr

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:00 pm

First of all, it isn't uncommon that before I get on a long flight to eat before the flight either on the way to or at the airport. I have done so due to the time of my flight just before a meal or the absence or poor quality of airline food. To me, I see no great loss in not getting a hot meal on an airline, so long as I have a warning. Of course, 1st/biz have paid with their extornate fares a full service meal on their flight and many people do not have the time to eat in a rush of time to get to their flight.
Gate Goumet (GG) is a company in a company with serious problems. Yes, they are owned by a Texas, USA based company so probably do have a 'cowboy' attitude towards making money for the least cost. But let us not forget the several other problems they are facing. Their HON station got into serious problems earlier this year as was failing health inspections. The airlines (mainly the USA based ones) are putting a serious squeeze on pricing of services from their catering and all other vendors due to the huge financial crises they are in. 9/11 badly hurt the airline catering industry as for several months all airlines had to suspend most catering services due to nobody flying or due to security issues. Many client airlines have cut back their food services on many flights, in some cases completly removing them. Some airlines have gone to pre-packaged products which require miminal preparation by caterers, thus less workers required. Caterers have to face increasing security costs after 9/11, including more instensive security clearances of employees, additional labor time from tightened security procedures at airports and at their own facilities.
To hold down costs, one of the easiest ways to do so is to cut labor costs is to switch to temporary or contract workers, making the fewer remaining employees work much harder and longer and if applicable, by removing unionized employees. At LHR, I wouldn't doubt that most of the employees being fired were former BA unionized employees. To most employers in the USA, these aren't new tactics, and now they are spreading to Europe.

laca773

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:05 pm

What other caterer's are there @ LHR? Only Gate Gourmet? This not only is a PR nightmare for BA but even worse shows how unprofessional Gate Gourmet is. Does anyone remember the problems DL had last year with them? It's time for BA to develop a "gradual" plan with another caterer until everything can be phased over to them then cease all ties with Gate Gourmet.

What caterer does VS, SQ, QF, CX, UA, AA use out of LHR?

Have a great day everyone.
LACA773

carduelis

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:02 pm

It is said around the airport that the current situation of GG dropping staff is party as a direct result of Virgin recently cancelling their catering contract with Gate Gourmet at LHR.

QCS photographed around late 80s. Many areas have been extended.
©Catering Excellence, British Airways.

BA's catering at their LHR base is a massive operation in the excess of 50,000 meals a day being produced on two catering sites at LHR. The longhaul unit (QCS) is situated on a site bigger than 11 acres. The shorthaul unit (QCW) is not quite as big, but still quite large.

The other (visiting) carriers' requirements are minute in comparison. Finding a caterer with capacity for BA is virtually impossible.

Edited to include picture

[Edited 2005-08-19 15:30:43]

kanebear

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:47 am

BA aren't the only ones affected by this by any means. CX are advising that their LHR flights are offering half meals as they're having to cater for both the out AND back segments. I was in TYO when the strike was announced and immediately made alternate arrangements to get home as I was to fly NRT-LHR-MIA on BA.

I scrapped my appointment in London and took CX to LAX... I'm sure BA, even with the strike, would've gotten me where I needed to go on time. I had NO illusions about my luggage ever being seen again, much less arriving with me. That plus the prospect of 12 hours in F with nothing but day-old Mickey D's just wasn't appealing even if it were plated and presented by the staff.  Smile

N1120A

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:55 am

Given that this is an obvious breach of contract on the part of Gate Gourmet, what is stopping BA from making arrangements with LSG or another caterer for the interim? I am sure they could combine that with some other distribution channels (Coca Cola could easily provide them with soft drinks, as they are based in Uxbridge, which is quite close to the airport) to provide a decent service.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Speedbird2155

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:04 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):
what is stopping BA from making arrangements with LSG or another caterer for the interim?

As has been pointed out by others, no other caterer at LHR could fill BA's requirements on such short notice. Even for limited catering for each flight, it would still require more facilities in order for the other caterers to maintain their existing contracts with other carriers.

geoffm

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:28 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):

Coca-cola may well be able to provide supplies - but who loads and unloads the cans and other catering from the aircraft? GG do (did) that. I imagine the regular cleaners are handling the McDs bags, but you need approved suppliers to load the aircraft.

Geoff M.

Feroze

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:18 am

Most of British Airways' Heathrow passengers will get in-flight hot meals from Monday, the airline has said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4165352.stm

Information on Catering Service:
Current Service:

Currently all customers flying to or from London Heathrow on longhaul services will be offered chilled deli-bags during their flight, as well as a limited bar service consisting of beer, wine and minerals.

Customers flying to or from London Heathrow on shorthaul services will be offered a chilled deli-bag before they board the aircraft and drinking water during their flight.

From Monday 22 August:
From Monday 22 August, customers flying from London Heathrow on longhaul services will be offered a choice of hot meals during their flight as well as another chilled meal before landing.

World Traveller and World Traveller Plus customers will be able to choose from two hot meal options and a deli-bag option.

Customers travelling in FIRST and Club World cabins will have an improved meal service consisting of three hot meal choices and a deli-box option.

The hot meal service will resume for customers on longhaul flights inbound to London Heathrow from Wednesday 24 August.

A limited bar service consisting of beer, wine and minerals will be offered on all longhaul services.

Shorthaul passengers will continue to be offered a chilled deli-bag before they board the aircraft and drinking water during their flight.

Lounges:
Pre-flight dining is available in the British Airways lounges at London Heathrow for eligible customers.

Customers visiting the Terraces lounge will be offered a cold buffet and full bar service.

A hot buffet and full bar service is available in the FIRST lounge and Concorde room.

Onboard products:
The disruption has also affected the airline's ability to deliver onboard items. Inflight entertainment, newspapers, blankets, headsets, World Traveller amenity kits and duvets* are currently available on all longhaul flights.

From Monday 22 August, FIRST customers flying from London Heathrow will be offered a sleeper suit and washbag.
These products will be available for FIRST customers flying into Heathrow from Wednesday 23 August.

Duvets are available for FIRST passengers only

Regards,

Feroze

[Edited 2005-08-19 19:23:51]

AIR MALTA

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:33 pm

As I am a BA fan I booked a VIE-LHR-VIE flight departing on Sep 16. I hope BA will have normal catering on its shorthaul flights by then...

suv

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:31 pm

Quoting Carduelis (Reply 17):
The following picture shows about the size of just ONE uplift for a 747, when BA were supplying their own catering. With BA's fleet of 747s, 777, 767s, etc, just imagine the complexity of the operation worlwide on a daily basis. It is not only just food, it is all the ancilliary equipment that goes with it. The caption with the picture states over 28,000 catering items, most of which are custom made for the carrier, so difficult to actually change supplier at short notice.

Bringing in food from other stations also will not work effectively due to the fact that as Gate Gourmet are not carrying out their contract, there are none of theie catering vehicles being used on the longhaul ramps. If food were to be uplifted at say JNB, then any leftovers would not be cleared at LHR.

Excellent post. Loved the photo. I guess one just don't realize the amount of food and beverage items that are loaded onboard longhaul prior to departure! Most elightening. Usually one just takes these things for granted.

AirNZ

Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:48 pm

Quoting AirMalta (Reply 12)

"BA could also start requesting some food (a partial contract) from another catering company to supply some food to BA's first and club passengers?"

I can understand what you're saying to a certain extent but, with all due respect, BA's Economy pax are also entitled to the same consideration. It should be remembered that there could be many families with young children.
While not meaning yourself specifically, there is far too much talk on this forum where Economy pax are seemingly not considered worthy of anything. Sure, F and J pax pay more for their tickets, but that's entirely their choice......doesn't mean they are the high and mighty when it comes to basic considerations. Note, I'm not talking about 'comfort or amenities' here.
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

suv

Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:57 pm

Quoting AirNZ (Reply 39):
Quoting AirMalta (Reply 12)

"BA could also start requesting some food (a partial contract) from another catering company to supply some food to BA's first and club passengers?"

I can understand what you're saying to a certain extent but, with all due respect, BA's Economy pax are also entitled to the same consideration. It should be remembered that there could be many families with young children.
While not meaning yourself specifically, there is far too much talk on this forum where Economy pax are seemingly not considered worthy of anything. Sure, F and J pax pay more for their tickets, but that's entirely their choice......doesn't mean they are the high and mighty when it comes to basic considerations. Note, I'm not talking about 'comfort or amenities' here.

Amen. Kind of reminds me of Titanic..where all first class passengers were able to try and evacuate the ship..the steerage passengers were locked down below. We all pay for transportation...and how much we pay is up to us..but first or economy...we all deserve some level of consideration!

Top Of Page | Change Forum... Civil Aviation Aviation Polls & Prefs Tech/Ops Aviation Hobby Aviation Photography Trip Reports Military Av & Space Non-Aviation Site Related LIVE Chat| Forum Index

AIR MALTA

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:30 pm

While not meaning yourself specifically, there is far too much talk on this forum where Economy pax are seemingly not considered worthy of anything.

Well; I am talking like an anlyst would do it. We know that the premium passengers are those who generate profits so the focus on the reintroduction of minimum level of service should start with them. But now worry, I am a normal Economy Class pax. I am flying to London on the 16th September from VIE to LHR and I would like to have the normal BA catering by then  Wink

Revelation

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:13 pm

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 6):

Glad he was able to show his solidarity with the working man!  embarrassed 

Quoting Speedbird2155 (Reply 25):
This is incorrect. While a full meal service is not possible due to the situation, passengers are receiving deli boxes and bags which contain a sandwish/crossant and snacks. In addition, there is a beverage services which includes wine, beers, sodas, juice in addition to tea, coffee and water. There are however no spirits. Passengers also receive vouchers to be used at any catering outlet within the terminals. Passengers entitled to lounge access also get stuff there.

I'm wondering who is delivering the deli boxes, bags and beverages to the plane? Management employees? Scabs? I thought the industrial action is over.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

daron4000

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:31 pm

I flew with BA in Club from LHR-ORD on August 18 and while the seat was nice, it wasn't a great flight at all. They gave us two deli bags equivalent to or worse than UA's BOB options before they became snack boxes and had some of the inflight entertainment working. This wasn't the end of the world because they gave us 30 pound voutures and I bought a lot of pret a manger. Still, I think if they want to win back our business, BA should try and refund us some dollars or give us some miles. Imagine how a First passenger would feel who had paid 10000 dollars for his ticket right around when I was flying to have a couple deli bags presented and that's it. I'd be pretty pissed. THe whole situation has caused me to avoid BA, as you remember, this is the third time this has happened in three summers and I say 3 strikes, you're out. Lufthansa, Virgin, even United, here I come.

Speedbird2155

Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:19 am

Quoting Daron4000 (Reply 43):

I find your comments interesting given that the vast majority of our First and Club passengers have not complained. Far from it, many of them have offered words of encouragement to us in the terminal. As for the food, again, many of these passengers haven't been too bothered as they have enjoyed enchanced catering in the lounges and haven't used the vouchers they were given. On a daily basis these vouchers are being returned by First and Club passengers who just enjoyed what was offered in the lounges and weren't bothered about buying anything with them.

If you choose to avoid BA, then so be it. However we thankfully still have managed to offer passengers a level of comfort and reassurance through our customer service and that has allowed us to maintain a loyal customer base who are willing to stick with BA through this period. To those persons we will be forever thankful.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 42):
I'm wondering who is delivering the deli boxes, bags and beverages to the plane? Management employees? Scabs? I thought the industrial action is over.

There are still some Gate Gourmet staff who are working and while a full service can not be provided, they were the ones who were able to provide the deli boxes and bags, which come prepackaged by another company. Now that hot meals are being provided, it is these staff, plus others recently hired who are doing the loading and unloading of aircraft.

semsem

Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:04 am

Gate Gourmet will likely go out of business / caput. Big problem for BA as other caterers at Heathrow do not have capacity to serve BA.

Virgin cancelled contract with Gourmet a few months ago.

[Edited 2005-08-27 18:08:03]

LH423

Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:17 am

Quoting Speedbird2155 (Reply 44):
I find your comments interesting given that the vast majority of our First and Club passengers have not complained. Far from it, many of them have offered words of encouragement to us in the terminal. As for the food, again, many of these passengers haven't been too bothered as they have enjoyed enchanced catering in the lounges and haven't used the vouchers they were given.

I agree 100%

While no one is ecstatic about the situation, most people realize this is not a situation that can be helped by BA. Even the walkout by BA staff was not legal and the airline had no forewarning. Most Club and First passengers have been happy enough with the dining on the ground and many of the economy passengers are happy enough to have a choice of food before the flight.

If you feel the need to go to another airline that's certainly your business and your right as a consumer, but I would like you to know that you're by far in the minority. Most of our passengers are sticking by us and we thank them

Oh, and update. Now hot food is back on board. It is a smaller service. I don't believe WT and WTP passengers are given a choice of food. And J and F are served economy meals but are given a greater choice. Limited bar is also now available.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

fbgdavidson

Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:38 am

can understand what you're saying to a certain extent but, with all due respect, BA's Economy pax are also entitled to the same consideration. It should be remembered that there could be many families with young children.

Well there is no doubt premium passengers, especially on BA are the bread and butter of the airline. Since many are on flexible tickets they can cancel and rebook on other airlines. Just a taste of the "darkside" can make them see what is available elsewhere and book with other airlines in the future.

I've got a BA flight in First in a few weeks and will be a little disheartened if things aren't back to normal by then.

Here is a good place to keep abreast of BA's catering issues. Staff seem to post intranet updates too

[Edited 2005-08-27 19:43:52]
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

united905

Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:42 am

As i see it this isnt ba fault.The way gg counducted itself was toataly underhanded.All in All its just money and ba are suffering beacause gg want a bit more.Drop em ba.
thank you for flying united

carduelis

Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:51 am

On top of all this - David Siegel, a multi-millionaire, and Chairman of Gate Gourmet has p*****d off back to the States leaving discussions between GG and Transport and General workers, in limbo! Does nobody in GG have any sense of responsibility?

Siegel's boss, John Bonderman, with a personal wealth of around 7billion is also Chairman of Ryanair . . . !