Kuba74
Topic Author

Coulthard Accident

Thu May 04, 2000 5:42 pm

Does anybody know what happened in Lyon? What type of plane did Coulthard fly?
Thanks for info.

QF747

RE: Coulthard Accident

Thu May 04, 2000 5:48 pm

Hi,

The aircraft was a Lear Jet 35.

Cheers,

QF 747
Always fly QF!

tonyb

Thu May 04, 2000 8:36 pm

Bearing in mind the Accident Investigation is still on-going the cause of the crash is still therefore open to speculation.However it is 'believed' to have occured due to a fire in one of the engines (the starboard one I think).The aircraft was on a flight from Farnborough to Nice and was carrying 5 people (Coulthard,his girlfriend,personal trainer and the two pilots).The pilots are reported to have informed ATC that they had an engine problem and would like to divert to Lyon-Satolas,however on landing it is thought that the port wing hit the runway and the aircraft nosed dived off the runway where upon the cockpit area seperated from the rest of the cabin tragically killing the pilots.The three passengers were able to escape from the main part of the fuselage almost unscathed.
The aircraft was owned by David Murray,chairman of Glasgow Rangers Football Club and operated by Northern Executive Aviation.I think it was registered G-MURI.

Fri May 05, 2000 3:36 am

Just to add to this, reports I've read suggested that the engine wasn't actually on fire, and that the fire only started as the aircraft struck the ground... An additional "passenger" was Coulthard's girlfriend's dog, which also had no more than minor injuries.

Coulthard has bruised ribs, the others have cuts and bruises. The pilots names have been announced, but I don't have the info to hand - check any Formula One website for specifics.

The passengers were informed of the problems 10 minutes before landing and hence were able to brace themselves... Coulthard described the pilots as being professional at all times.

The only other info I have is that initial reports suggested that the plane was landing in crosswinds which may have caused the wing to strike the ground...

Condolences to the families of the pilots, who did a great job getting their passengers down alive, and sacrificed their own lives in the process.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos