socal

AA MD-80 Wing Strike Landing At LAS

Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:39 pm

I just saw the news and they showed an AA MD-80 landing at LAS on Sunday and what a lucky landing. The plane struck the right wing just before touch down,the pilot managed to correct the plane and land it like normal. They said there was a strong cross wind at the time. I have been looking for the clip on the internet, but cant seem to find it. Am sure someone will find it and can put the link up so you guys can see it. It was a crazy clip......  Wow!
I Love HNL.............

Silver1SWA
Crew

RE: AA MD-80 Wing Strike Landing At LAS

Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:45 pm

I saw this on TV right when I walked in the door tonight. Couldn't find anything else about it and was shocked it wasn't mentioned here yet. It was some amazing video!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

geoffm

Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:46 pm

Quoting Socal (Thread starter):
The plane struck the right wing just before touch down

Are you trying to say that the plane clipped its own wing on the ground?

Geoff M.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:43 pm

Quoting Geoffm (Reply 2):
Are you trying to say that the plane clipped its own wing on the ground?

The wing touches the ground. The MD-80 flares with the right wing dipped severely. The right wing tip and the right main gear touch down around the same time. The aircraft levels off and continues a normal roll-out at that point.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

uadc8contrail

Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:51 pm

abc7 L.A. showed the rt wing clipping the ground tonight i wonder if there was any structural damage???it looked like it took a direct hit.........
bus driver.......move that bus:)

dl757md

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:52 pm

A friend at work said he saw this on ABC as well. We tried searching for the video online and couldn't find it or any mention of this story! Does AA have that much pull that they can squelch this from the media after it has already been aired? Anybody have a link to any online info about this incident?

Dl757MD
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

mcdu

Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:38 pm

Saw the clip myself in a bar at the Venitian last night. It was on the local FOX affiliate in LAS and the volume was down so I could not hear the story.

jtamu97

Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:43 pm

Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

dl757md

Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:53 pm

Thanks for the link Jtamu97. Should have known to check Fox. They usually have all the cool stuff.
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

tjwgrr

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:30 am

Amazing that it was captured on video.....

Thanks for the link.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

jtamu97

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:17 am

Yeah,
I did not quite figure out how it was on video. If you watch the entire video, the guys on that FOX station did a great job in not accussing the pilots of anything..He kept saying these guys are professionals and if you make 1000's of landings something like this may occur (even though it is a bit rare). I am glad it did not turn into a huge media frenzy.

Later,
J

cdfmxtech

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:23 am

This is only speculation....
The name of the person who shot the video was Joe Macchietto.
Go here:
http://www.filmfusion.com/Reel.htm

smcmac32msn

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:47 am

Les, the anchor who did the story is probably one of the best reporters I've ever seen do a aviation story... Great explanation at the end on how they land with a cross wind so the public can understand it... Didn't bash the crew, and gave the whole story a professional approach where he did not speculate about anything on the story. Good job, Les.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

jush

Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:06 am

Extremely good journalism there. But did you actually see the tailstrike he was talking bout? I could hardly see the wing dip but the tailstrike or "scratching" is news to me.

jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

jtamu97

Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:12 am

I could not see a tailstrike either..To me it looked like the smoke from the main gear was so large, it appeared to come somewhat from the tail. Seems like there would have been some sparks from the tail just as from the wing if in fact the tail did strike.

Later,
J

smcmac32msn

Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:16 am

The tail looked to be a good 3-4' off the ground when it was closest. I highly doubt that the tail hit... I watched it 10 times and never saw the tail get remotely close to the ground.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

venuscat2

Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:20 am

Any word on which a/c was involved?

Mainliner

Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:11 am

Is the video anywhere else? I can't get it to play on my computer.  frown 
Every flight counts.

AirTranTUS

Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:28 am

I'm disapointed that I cannot download it.  Sad
I love ASO!

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:32 am

Quoting Mainliner (Reply 17):
Is the video anywhere else? I can't get it to play on my computer. frown

It wouldnt work on Firefox, so i tried it on IE which worked.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

AirRyan

Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:35 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 13):
Extremely good journalism there. But did you actually see the tailstrike he was talking bout? I could hardly see the wing dip but the tailstrike or "scratching" is news to me.

I too did not see the tailstrike but remember that the monitor that expert was using to look at was not all that big.

thelowfarehero

Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:37 am

Quoting Jtamu97 (Reply 14):

Seems like there would have been some sparks from the tail just as from the wing if in fact the tail did strike.

If the tail did hit, you would not have seen sparks come from the tail cone area, as it is made of fiberglass. It's really hard to tell if it did, some views it looks as if a puff of smoke rolls off the tail, but like someone quoted it could just be smoke from the mains touching down.
I HAATE AA!

jetsetsteve

Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:46 am

Yeah that Mr.Ferver needs to get better glasses the tail never came close to the ground....Great job by the News crew and pilots.....Simply awesome

S12PPL

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:19 am

Well, safe to say he lost is landing light in the strike.

I was impressed with how the FOX reporter didn't spout off about how the pilots must have messed up completely. Usually, they start speculating about what could have happened, and it's usually way off. Nice to see them not go over board with the speculation.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

legendDC9

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:37 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 23):
was impressed with how the FOX reporter didn't spout off about how the pilots must have messed up completely. Usually, they start speculating about what could have happened, and it's usually way off. Nice to see them not go over board with the speculation.

I second that. If this had happened in LA, Hard Copy would be all over them, not to mention those F*****g idiots from channel 4

GUAMVICE

Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:02 am

Anyone know the registration of the aircraft? Just wondering if it's the same plane I took recently from LAS to LAX on my way to HNL and GUM...
The two most engaging powers of a photographer are to make new things familiar and to make familiar things new. ~Thacker

miguelss

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:04 am

It appears to be that Sunday and Monday were not the best days for MD-8X (Remember West Caribbean accident).

Bridogger6

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:12 am

How weird, landing into LAS about a month ago from SAN, the same thing almost happened to me but on a 733. It was quite a turbulent descent and right as we were probably about 15-20ft above the runway, the right wing pointed toward the ground and suddenly all I saw was the McDonalds we had been flying alongside which now appeared to be above the plane. The whole load of passengers sort of yelped out loud, but the pilot soon corrected this tilt and we landed fine. It was pretty scary how close we were to the ground at the time though.

Aviation

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:59 am

Hi,

You say that the right gear and tip touch at the same time it would be a very steep roll for most other a/c but I suppose that the md-80 has a very low set wing / gear so it is quite easy to accomplish. Does anyone know the extent of damage to the wing and what the reg. is.

If we could get some pics would be great

Thanks,
Aaron J Nicoli
Signed, Aaron Nicoli - Trans World Airlines Collector

midnights

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:33 pm

Hey guys...thanks for the link to the video. I sent it to several of my co-workers (we are a/c maint here in DFW) and we know several of the mechanics in LAS. This should make for some interesting talk in the breakroom.

Halophila

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:51 pm

Thank goodness I wasn't on board the flight; AA probably would have had to have bought a new seat where I was sitting. Are strikes like that common? I seem to remember at least one occassion - I think in Adelaide or Melbourne - where an MH 744 had both engines sheared a few inches in the same kind of incident.
Flown on 707, 717, 727, 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87

spacecadet

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:22 pm

Are strikes like that common?

No. A strike like that can (and has) cause an accident. You can see that at the moment the wing hit, the plane basically slammed down onto its right gear - that's the effect a wing strike has on landing, it just takes the plane and flings it into the ground, usually offline with the runway. It obviously doesn't always cause an accident, and it's not like this never happens, but it's not common. It is less common than tail strikes are.

This would definitely have been a bumpy landing in that cabin. You would have felt a jolt.

A lot of people may feel like this has "almost" happened to them but in a crosswind landing, it's SOP in many aircraft to use the "wing-low" method to correct for winds, rather than the "crab" style that's hard on the gear. This pilot just didn't either didn't level out in time or he got hit with an unexpected gust right at touchdown.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:15 am

Quoting Thelowfarehero (Reply 21):
If the tail did hit, you would not have seen sparks come from the tail cone area, as it is made of fiberglass. It's really hard to tell if it did, some views it looks as if a puff of smoke rolls off the tail, but like someone quoted it could just be smoke from the mains touching down.

The MD80 series has a damped tail skid with a metallic plate fastened that will make contact with the runway surface before the tailcone will, so it's possible for some sparking during a tailstrike, although I didn't see the tail make contact in the video.

AirRyan

Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:23 am

Just showed the tape on FOXnews... They said the airline is investigting it but that the NTSB is not since the damage was very light.

qqflyboy

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:17 am

Finally got to see the video. If anyone has problems before, I think it was just due to the sheer traffic trying to view that video.

I agree that Les did a good job reporting the story, but he had one crucial flaw which has already been debated. The tail did not strike the ground. After reviewing the video multiple times it is clearly obvious the tail did not strike the ground. I'm not blaming the MD-80 instructor, he was just making quick assesments. That comment should not have been used in the story. BUt I know why it was, it made the story more dramatic.

In general, I thought Les did a great job explaining how something like this could happen.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:58 am

Quoting Qqflyboy (Reply 34):
but he had one crucial flaw which has already been debated. The tail did not strike the ground.

He didn't make that claim. It was the MD-80 instructor being interviewed while watching the video.

Get off the tail-strike guys! LOL We KNOW it did not strike the ground. He was just making a quick observation under the pressure of having the camera in his face. He was there to analyze the video for them...and so he picked out everything he thought might be going on in the video. And as mentioned before, the screen he was viewing was very small.

There is also a second video about this story on that website. Apparently Les is a pilot himself. That explains the excellent reporting.

[Edited 2005-08-21 20:06:49]

727LOVER

Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:05 am

Quoting Jtamu97 (Reply 10):
I am glad it did not turn into a huge media frenzy.

but if it had been NW.......
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

qqflyboy

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:48 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 35):
He didn't make that claim. It was the MD-80 instructor being interviewed while watching the video.

Exactly. I didn't say Les made the comment. But why would he include that sound bite in his story when the tail clearly did not strike the ground? Because it is not a claim he made, rather a claim a perported expert made. Even though it wasn't true, the idea adds to the potential drama of the story.

I only comment on this because I went through my junior year of college studying broadcast journalism, and even worked as an associate producer at a TV station before chaning my major to aviation science. Including that sound bite was either 1) a mistake because they (FOX5) thought the tail hit the ground or 2) yellow journalism: they could tell the tail did not hit the ground but included it anyway for the drama.

In the end, it does not change my opinion that the overall story was good, and better reported then most other reporters would have done. It was a down to earth, no big deal explanation of how a wing strike could happen.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:45 pm

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 37):
Exactly. I didn't say Les made the comment. But why would he include that sound bite in his story when the tail clearly did not strike the ground? Because it is not a claim he made, rather a claim a perported expert made. Even though it wasn't true, the idea adds to the potential drama of the story.

I only comment on this because I went through my junior year of college studying broadcast journalism, and even worked as an associate producer at a TV station before chaning my major to aviation science. Including that sound bite was either 1) a mistake because they (FOX5) thought the tail hit the ground or 2) yellow journalism: they could tell the tail did not hit the ground but included it anyway for the drama.

In the end, it does not change my opinion that the overall story was good, and better reported then most other reporters would have done. It was a down to earth, no big deal explanation of how a wing strike could happen.

Yeah, I don't know. Most of the time when local news stations cover a story, the few-second clips chosen pretty much add squat to the story. My guess is it was included because he makes the tail-strike claim as he's trying to analyze the pilots landing configuration. Would Les be the ultimate say in what goes into the final cut of the story? Possible over-sight, or attempt to spice it a bit? Who knows? Either way, we can agree the story was well done.