737 Across the Atlantic??

Sat Feb 06, 1999 2:58 am

I read in a magazine about an airline (Swiss-World, maybe?) which had plans to fly 737-700ER across the Atlantic. I thought it was rather interesting, such a "small" plane crossing the pond.
Which is the "smallest" commercial plane making scheduled cross Atlantic (or Pacific) flights?

RE: 737 Across the Atlantic??

Sat Feb 06, 1999 3:42 am

I'd venture to guess that the smallest plane that regularly crosses the Atlantic is the 757-200.

Sat Feb 06, 1999 3:42 am

757, Icelandic and Continental

767-200 TWA, AA, US Airways and others

TAD

RE: TAD

Sat Feb 06, 1999 3:44 am

There are others too who operate the 757 across the Atlantic; Finnair, BA, Canada 3000, ...

L-188

For the Pacific

Sat Feb 06, 1999 4:02 am

On the pacific side I would have to say right now the smallest 'Jet' service is Reeve Aleutian Airways 727-22C Sevice from Anchorage to Kabarsk(???) on the Kamchatka Pennisula. This is usually operated as a non-stop but sometimes fuel requires a stop at Cold Bay Alaska. This was orginally operated as a charter but was changed to a actual schedualed route when Alaska Airlines droped the route. They used MD-80's. Sometimes the L-188 will be substituted for the 727 if for some reason the Boeing is unavailable.

I don't know if it actualy happened but at one time it was proposed that a Nome Alaska-Anadyr Russia run was to be started by one of the Air taxis up there. I belive that they where planning to use either the PA-31 Navajo or the T-1040. But I don't know If these flights actually took off, the proposal happend just after the walls came down.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

RE: For the Pacific

Sat Feb 06, 1999 4:16 am

Does not Alaska Airlines operate MD-80s to Russian cities like Magadan and something else I forget? That's smaller then a 727..

L-188

MD-11

Sat Feb 06, 1999 4:41 am

The canceled the trips this last year because of the economy over there. That is when Reeve picked them up.

Reeve uses the older short body 727 so it really is a toss up on which on is bigger. In all-seats they are configured for 110 pax but usually on the russia trips they where set up as a 4 pallet/44 seat aircraft. Reeve bought some first class seats to put in the exit rows which explanes the decrease from 48 seats that normaly is in the four pallet configuartion.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

RE: TAD/why the A3xx will not be

Sat Feb 06, 1999 4:48 am

Sorry I know I missed a few.

This is an example of why I don’t think the A3xx will be built. I believe that most passengers would prefer a direct flight to going through a major gateway such as LAX, JFK, LHR, or NRT.

If I can fly direct from ATL, CVG, PHL, or STL to MAN, GLA, HAM or GVA, why would I consider connecting to JFK to LHR and the connecting again to my destination.

Smaller aircraft now have the range to make these types of connections. The only way I believe that the A3xx or even new or current version of the 747 will be built for the long term is if the Egos of either Airbus or some state owned airlines get put above profitability. Simply put the big airplane is a part of the past.

IMHO

TAD

RE: TAD

Sat Feb 06, 1999 2:07 pm

BA only operate the 757 from London to Miami and maybe another city in Florida but they do not use the 757 to much in the US. They use the 757 mainly in Europe.
Iain

Sun Feb 07, 1999 8:54 am

It is impossible for such a small aicraft to fly such long distances...

Do you have AF's pics ?

Alain

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos