ARGinLON
Topic Author

Worst Strikes In Aviation History

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:02 am

Looking back at what happened 10 days ago at LHR with BA (with more to come probably?) and currently with NW I wonder….

What is the worst aviation related strike you can remember?

I don’t remember anything really big with the exception of small industrial action affecting AF in the early 90’s when it nearly collapsed.

Sometimes we see some strikes at AZ but they are pretty small.

Any others?

Lumberton

RE: Worst Strikes In Aviation History

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:14 am

Eastern Airlines. Unfortunately, the only one who walked away with anything was Frank Lorenzo, who made millions selling his stake.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

ssides

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Eastern was by far the worst, because it killed the airline.

As far as magnitude is concerned, it wasn't big, but the AA pilot sickout a few years ago was pretty bad, primarily because it was (1) illegal and (2) so unexpected.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

Matt D

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:06 am

but the AA pilot sickout a few years ago was pretty bad

Wasn't that the one involving Reno Air?

Lorenzo was hardly a saint. But to absolve the Unions of any blame would be equally wrong. When you're willing to kill your employer (and put yourself on the street) just to prove a point, that's not standing up for yourself, that's just plain egotistical stupidity. 100% of the demise of Eastern should NOT be laid squarely at the feet of ol' Franky. The Unions were just as much to blame as he was.

FlySSC

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting ARGinLON (Thread starter):
don’t remember anything really big with the exception of small industrial action affecting AF in the early 90’s when it nearly collapsed.

AF suffered a very hard strike from the pilots in June 1998 during about 2 weeks, just before the World Soccer Cup competition in France.

BA suffered similar strikes to the one this summer last summer and the year before ...

Sometimes we see some strikes at AZ but they are pretty small.

"pretty small" strikes every two weeks hurt too !

mygind66

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:19 am

There was one involving traffic controllers in the States during Reagan's presidential time. As I remember it was hard too..

Enrique

longhauler

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:27 am

In the 60s, some of the airline strikes lasted MONTHS! But, also, a ruling dictated that if one carrier strikes, the other carriers must share in the gained proceeds due to the strike! So, in on odd anomaly, when Mohawk Airlines was on strike, they actually posted a profit!!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

BCAL

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:33 am

I would think that the worst strike in aviation history was during the Nixon years when, after a prohibited strike by the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (PACTO), Reagan fired more than 11,500 air traffic controllers, jailed strike leaders and ultimately abolished the union, paving the way for a crackdown on organised labour.

Just my 0.02c
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

bmacleod

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:45 am

AC has had its share of labour pains. In 1998, AC was well on its way to a fifth straight year of profitability when ACPA (Air Canada Pilots Association) shut down the airline for ten days costing over $300M and ending up costing a profit for AC.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

AnsettB727

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:46 am

The pliots' strike in Australia in, I think, late 1989. Commercial flights were replaced with military transporters for some time! Can someone elaborate more? I was too young!  Smile

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:47 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 7):
I would think that the worst strike in aviation history was during the Nixon years when, after a prohibited strike by the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (PACTO), Reagan fired more than 11,500 air traffic controllers, jailed strike leaders and ultimately abolished the union, paving the way for a crackdown on organised labour.

That was actually probably the "best" strike.
E pur si muove -Galileo

isitsafenow

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:49 am

The PATCO thing of 81 was big, but in airline strikes, the dinosaurs remember the IAM strike of August(or was it July) of 1966.
Northwest, TWA, National, Eastern and United were TOTALLY shut down for a couple of weeks. LBJ finally stepped to move the talks along and lo' and behold, an agreement was reached. Actually, the strike was affecting the transportation of troops and supplies to VietNam. MATS could only do so much.
Remember, old timers????
Safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

John

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:49 am

I remember NATIONAL would go on extended strikes for months at a time during the 70s. What union represented the NA workers?

StevenUhl777

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:02 am

I would argue that the June 1985 UA pilot's strike is up there, but not #1. There was a lot of bitterness during that strike, and the effects of which (between pilots vs. the other groups) have lingered to this day.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

trekster

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:10 am

Looking back at what happened 10 days ago at LHR with BA (with more to come probably?)

I PRAY TO GOD there are no more strikes. This one was bad enough to deal with at work. I HATE GG. They blame BA, and now the unions that were saying its wrong, are now saying if u victimize the staff that left on the illegel strike, we will strike. AHHHHHHHHHH
Where does the time go???

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 14):
are now saying if u victimize the staff that left on the illegel strike, we will strike

Fire them all then. This is ridiculous.
E pur si muove -Galileo

727LOVER

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:24 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 3):
Lorenzo was hardly a saint. But to absolve the Unions of any blame would be equally wrong. When you're willing to kill your employer (and put yourself on the street) just to prove a point, that's not standing up for yourself, that's just plain egotistical stupidity. 100% of the demise of Eastern should NOT be laid squarely at the feet of ol' Franky. The Unions were just as much to blame as he was.

Rare agreement with MattD, but he is correct. Lorenzo would not have even been on the property if were not for the IAM. Does anone know the name of the **ckhead that headed Eastern's pilot union?

Quoting LongHauler (Reply 6):
But, also, a ruling dictated that if one carrier strikes, the other carriers must share in the gained proceeds due to the strike!

No wonder National used to always strike!!!  Silly
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

legendDC9

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:26 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 16):
Does anone know the name of the **ckhead that headed Eastern's pilot union?

Wasn't it actualy Charlie Bryan, the head of the mechanics union that eventualy lead the strike that ended it all for Eastern?

legendDC9

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:41 am

I simply love this bit. Keep in mind it was written in 1989, during one of the Eastern strikes (not the one that killed it, but close)

By Sam Marcy (March 30, 1989)
March 20--The strike of the Eastern Airlines workers is bound to exercise a truly profound influence on the entire course of the U.S. labor movement.

No strike in recent years has taken on such a momentous character as this one. By its scope and breadth, it has attracted the attention of millions upon millions of workers throughout the country, as well as abroad.

When, following Jesse Jackson's lead, Gov. Mario Cuomo of New York said that the eyes of the country are upon the workers of Eastern, he was not exaggerating one bit. It now remains for the labor movement to prepare itself in every way possible to widen and deepen the course of the struggle.

No one knows how long it will take, but there is a sense that a significant victory may at last be at hand if an aroused labor movement stands firm and strong, uninhibited by the wiles of the Bush administration and the courts.

The link to the whole thing is here:

http://www.workers.org/marcy/cd/sam89/1989html/s890330.htm

Gee... how did that work out for ya?

Unions will never learn, they have nothing to sell. Facing a labor crisis, companies will always either adjust and if they can't, they will simply close up shop and start over. Who gets left behind? the line worker, we was never able to save, cannot relocate and with no prospects. Unions are the cancer of this country and the sooner they are put out of business the better everyone will be.

Tan Flyr

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 11):
The PATCO thing of 81 was big, but in airline strikes, the dinosaurs remember the IAM strike of August(or was it July) of 1966.
Northwest, TWA, National, Eastern and United were TOTALLY shut down for a couple of weeks. LBJ finally stepped to move the talks along and lo' and behold, an agreement was reached. Actually, the strike was affecting the transportation of troops and supplies to VietNam. MATS could only do so much.
Remember, old timers????

Sure do...as a kid I remember the TV news guys at DAY about stranded travellers. Seems I emember the railroads were then overwhelmed with travellers and could not accomodate the demand.

Yes, LBJ called the union guys and the airline bargaining agents into the Oval office..whadda know..in about 30 min. they had an agreement! IIRC no one was happy about it, but they didn't dare bxxch to the WH or the press.

So JUST FYI>>Democratic administrations have intervened also in labor disputes. (also JFK and the steel workers, & FDR and the United Mine Workers).

airfrnt

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:27 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 7):

Better check your historical facts. First of all, the PATCO shutdown was in 1981, which would have been in the Reagan years, not the Nixon years. Second, Reagan fired them all in retalliation to a illegal strike (under about 3 or 4 different laws). PATCO thought they could get away with it because Carter had ignored the laws. PATCO's chief demand was a 32 hour work week.

BCAL

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:31 am

Quoting AirFrnt (Reply 20):
the PATCO shutdown was in 1981, which would have been in the Reagan years, not the Nixon years.

My error and apologies. I meant the Reagan years, Nixon was a typo.

embarrassed 
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

727LOVER

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:36 am

Quoting LegendDC9 (Reply 17):
Wasn't it actualy Charlie Bryan, the head of the mechanics union that eventualy lead the strike that ended it all for Eastern?

Yes, but it wouldn't have been as destructive if the pilots hadn't joined in.

Quoting LegendDC9 (Reply 18):
I simply love this bit. Keep in mind it was written in 1989, during one of the Eastern strikes (not the one that killed it, but close)

Ummmm...yeah, that's THE strike that killed it.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

bluemeatball

Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:26 am

I remember te 1966 strike. It was a thrill for me as a kid but I'm sure it was a pain for business travelers. We needed to get from Charleston, WV (CRW) to Ponce, PR (PSE) which usually meant UA to ATL and EA to SJU and CB to PSE. This time it was Lake Central Nord 262 from Crw to Clarksburg, WV (CKB), to Morgantown (MGW), where both engines were shut down for refueling, to Wheeling and finally to PIT. Next was an Allegheny F27 to EWR; two days in NY staying at the Hotel Lexington visiting the city; then a PA 727-21 to STT; a Caribair (CB) 640 to SJU and finally a CB 440 to PSE.
EWR was a ghosttown with EA and UA down.

isitsafenow

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:31 am

Thanks for horror story Mark(Bluemeatball). Or was it an adventure? LOL
It rattled my memory of a few others involving people trying to get from point A to point B with half the airline system shut down that summer.
safe

B744F

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:39 am

Quoting LegendDC9 (Reply 18):
Unions are the cancer of this country and the sooner they are put out of business the better everyone will be.

The better who will be? Shareholders? Management? Yes, the general welfare of the people? Absolutely not. The only cancer of this country is this obsession with the lowest price possible no matter who gets the short end of the stick. People in Unions realize how the business world works, and they unite together to protect themselves and their standards of living.

Arcano

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:30 pm

Quoting Ssides (Reply 2):
As far as magnitude is concerned, it wasn't big, but the AA pilot sickout a few years ago was pretty bad, primarily because it was (1) illegal and (2) so unexpected.

Are you talking about the one in feb99?
I remember it vividly; I took the first flight SCL-MIA that took off after the strike, and as you can imagine, I was terrified the days before since I got to think that I would lose my vacations! I can't believe how lucky I felt...

Regards )( Arcano
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

exFATboy

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:45 pm

Quoting B744F (Reply 25):
The only cancer of this country is this obsession with the lowest price possible no matter who gets the short end of the stick. People in Unions realize how the business world works, and they unite together to protect themselves and their standards of living.

But all too often that comes at the expense of other's standards of living.

Let's say people went out and made a concerted effort to support unionized carriers. Okay, fine. But now we all have less to spend on other things. So what do we do? Eat out less? Well, now waiters and cooks are losing out. Buy fewer books? Guess some schlubs at Barnes & Noble can live without their jobs, eh?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely unsympathetic to what you're saying, but the problem is that unions want a higher wage than non-union labour and they tend to also want to work less through restrictive work rules. Not always, and there are good examples of unions working with management to remove those rules. But all too often, the opposite is true. If higher-paid union labour was more productive than non-union labour, then it'd make good sense to hire union. But all too often that's just not the case.

ordpark

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:44 pm

isitsafenow - I was but a mere child when the IAM shut down the five carriers in 1966. (alright, I was 15) but I do remember driving past EWR and seeing all those aircraft parked wingtip to wingtip...

soyuzavia

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:31 pm

The 1989 Australian pilots dispute would be probably the worst that I know of, as it paralysed an entire country, even though technically it was not a strike. It affected Ansett (domestic), Australian Airlines (domestic), IPEC (cargo) and East-West (regional). It lasted from August 1989 to March 1990.

A good overview is here -- http://www.vision.net.au/~apaterson/aviation/pd89_introduction.htm

During the dispute period from August 1989, domestic services were flown using RAAF Hercules, HS748, and 707s. There was also an influx of aircraft from overseas (along with scab pilots) which were operated on domestic services -- America West, Air 2000, Britannia, Lauda Air, DAN Air, Aeromaritime, Trans European, TEA Swiss, JAT, Malev, Inter European, Paramount Airways, Monarch, Hawaiian Airlines -- all were flying domestic services.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Steve Morris
View Large View Medium

Photo © Aaron Skinner

View Large View Medium

Photo © George Canciani
View Large View Medium

Photo © George Canciani

View Large View Medium

Photo © George Canciani
View Large View Medium

Photo © George Canciani

View Large View Medium

Photo © George Canciani
View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Wilkes

View Large View Medium

Photo © Clive Dyball
View Large View Medium

Photo © Rod Callins

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rod Callins
View Large View Medium

Photo © Rod Callins

I won't fly Virgin Blue today because they hired one of the scabs as their chief pilot, not to mention they are owned by a scab company (Patricks)

legendDC9

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:59 pm

Quoting B744F (Reply 25):
The only cancer of this country is this obsession with the lowest price possible no matter who gets the short end of the stick

That's hardly a cancer... do you expect people to pay more just so someone else can have a better life? gimme a break. You wouldn't do that and neither would I. The problem is when people refuse to adapt. Ignoring the fact that there is cheaper labor out there is not going to make it go away. It just means that the standards of wage and of living have dropped. Why is it so hard to see that the unions have very little in mind other than their own self preservation? Lower wages, work force cuts mean less dues and less money coming in. However, with many locals and lodges out there for each union, feeding them money, they have no problem calling strikes because it's not their as**s hanging out on the line.

Halophila

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:11 pm

Quoting AnsettB727 (Reply 9):
The pliots' strike in Australia in, I think, late 1989. Commercial flights were replaced with military transporters for some time! Can someone elaborate more? I was too young!

Oh yes, that was a fun one. I remember all the C-130's flying between Sydney and Canberra (where I used to live). I believe many of the pilots moved o/s after the dispute (I remember one aussie pilot of a Saudi 310 speaking on the morning news after his aircraft was comandeered on a flight from Saudi to Mombassa sometime in the late '90s). Too bad I was too young at the time to get on one of the military a/c...
Flown on 707, 717, 727, 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87

jetdeltamsy

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:16 pm

Terrible strikes.

Eastern's strike in 1989. Granddaddy of all strikes. It killed the company.

TWA's strike in the late 80's where Icahn fired the flight attendants, replacing them with very young and poorly trained recruits.

United's pilots struck in the late 80's. Arguably the beginning of the end for United in terms of labor agreements. From this contract on, compensation was out of control.

Every Alitalia strike. They happen so frequently that they damage the carrier's reputation for reliability. When Alitalia flies, they offer an excellent product. They have very nice flights, but Alitalitia is not reliable. They should be kicked out of Skyteam.

Every Air France strike. These too damage the carrier's reputation. AF does not suffer interruption as much as AZ, but still too much. And Air France should remain in Skyteam as it adds much more value to the network than Alitalia does.

Working for a non-union carrier has been nice. I started with Eastern and that was a labor circus. You'd engage in some labor action against management, only to spend the weekend in Mexico City paliing around with those same managers. It was a soap opera. Went from Eastern to Pan Am, which was worse. Extremely chaotic in every way. Much of the problem at Pan Am was the lack of money. The company was broke when i started working for them. Then Delta comes along and offers many of us at Pan Am jobs. We were in heaven. Good pay. Solid company. No union. Thought we had life by the heels.

[Edited 2005-08-23 08:23:46]
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

hailstone

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:34 pm

CX pilot sick-out in may / june 1999 for over two weeks if memory serves well

MxCtrlr

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:31 pm

National Airlines wildcat walkout of the mechanics (IAM) in 1969. Lasted 18 months and was a bloody and violent strike (people's houses firebombed, cars vandalized in shopping store parking lots, etc).

For everyone screaming about how unions are so bad (and this coming from someone who is decidedly anti-union) try guessing how low your minimum wage in this country would be without unions in this country. Try to imagine how rotten working conditions would be without unionis in this country.

In regards to the recent labor problems at NWA, most everyone is blaming the union members but, as I pointed out in another thread, airlines that have a good relationship with their rank-and-file employees are posting profits while those who do not, are struggling. That isn't a coincidence.

Also remember that nobody walks into a non-union shop saying to themselves, "I'm not getting screwed by my employer, I'm getting paid decently and I'm getting treated like a human being - Let's go start a union!" The unions are on the property because, somewhere along the line, the employees were pushed into making the decision for third-party representation. I've seen it happen time and time again. Airlines continue to promise better pay or benefits or work conditions and do nothing until a union representation vote is taken. By then, its too late.

Moral of this story? Don't blame everything bad on the Unions, just like you can't blame everything bad on the Company. Both have a stake in the good and the bad times.

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

MCOtoATL

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:11 am

Let me spread some light non the air traffic controllers strike of 1981. First, PATCO (Professional Air Traffic Controllers Oranization) was one of the few labor unions that supported President Reagan, and they assumed that he would be sympathetic to their cause.

When they walked off the job on June 22, 1981, they were committing a federal crime. It was an illegal strike. They assumed that Reagan would ignore the law. They were wrong. Technically speaking, Regan did not have the authority to offer amnesty - once they started the strike they legally dismissed themselves from the job. Ironically, the FAA has a rule about not hiring convicted felons, which the air traffic controllers would have been. Granted, the controllers had some legitimate arguments, especially the antiquated equipment.

Reading "Splash of Color" by John J. Nance, a pilot for Braniff during the strike, talks about the replacement controllers were mar more professional and friendly, and that the airline pilots considered the replacement controllers to be a breath of fresh air.

FI642

Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:17 am

The reason carriers posted a profit during strikes was the Mutual Aid Pact.
Carriers contributed to it, so when NW or whomever went on strike, the carrier
was paid out of this fund. That is why management did't care they weren't flying, they(the airline)were still getting paid. Pan Am was the first to get out in I believe 1975, signaling the death of the M.A.P.

No one has mentioned the Comair strike either. That was ugly!
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

gipper913

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:37 am

Quoting Mygind66 (Reply 5):
There was one involving traffic controllers in the States during Reagan's presidential time. As I remember it was hard too..

Hard, but very beneficial in that Reagan used it as an opportunity to crack down on illegal strike actions. So, like MaverickM11 said above, it was one of the best strikes!
The size of the federal budget is not an appropriate barometer of social conscience or charitable concern. --R. Reagan

United787

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:37 am

Quoting Ssides (Reply 2):

Quoting Arcano (Reply 26):
Are you talking about the one in feb99?

Are you talking about the AA strike in early 1997 that lasted about a month if I recall correctly. I actually benefited greatly from that because I proposed to my wife right after the strike and was able to surprise her and fly her to London for really cheap because of the fare wars that resulted afterwards. ORD-LHR for less than $250 per person.

isitsafenow

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:46 am

F1642..... Delta bailed in the early 70's before de-reg. With the signing of de-reg, the mutual aid pact was terminated. You are correct. NW used the pact a few times to their benefit, but in the summer of 66 United was also shut down with NW. At that time of history, NW and UA competed quite a bit and NW used the pact to feed its coffers off UA pax.
safe

727LOVER

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:51 am

Quoting United787 (Reply 38):
Are you talking about the AA strike in early 1997 that lasted about a month

You mean a MINUTE....1 freakin' minute before Clinton pulled the plug.

srbmod

Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:09 am

The effects of the Eastern Airlines strike are still felt to this day in the Atlanta area. Some of Delta's problems can be traced back to Eastern. For years when both airlines were bitter rivals @ ATL, DL was paying their rampers as much as Eastern was paying theirs so they wouldn't quit to go work for Eastern. DL's rampers were (and still are) non-union and Eastern's were union. When Eastern went out, so did the high starting pay @ DL. You still have employees to this day @ DL that are making high wages that date back to being at DL during the 1980s. DL's rapid growth in the 1990s was due to being the big dog @ ATL once Eastern went out (during the 1980s, Delta and Eastern pretty much had around the same % of the marketplace out of ATL, and DL had the advantage of Int'l flights out of ATL [Eastern's were out of MIA].) and most airlines' attempts at trying to hub at ATL failed.

A lot of Eastern retirees and employees still like in the Atlanta area, and many of them lost a good chunk of their pensions due to the airline going out of business and the pensions being picked up by the PBGC.

skyhawk

Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:55 am

In response to Reply #12-in 1973 the mechanics for National went on strike for 4 months, I am not sure who they were represented by. In 1974 the Flight Attendants went on strike for 4 months, we were represented by a division of
ALPA(by the way, the pilots had the audacity to cross our picket lines even though we were technically part of their union).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos