RE: NW & Union Disagree On Strike Impact On Day 3

Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:35 am

Courtesy: KSFY-TV

Delays and Cancellations Pile Up for Northwest Airlines

http://www.ksfy.com/Stories/Story.cfm?SID=4258

Okie

Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:36 am

Let us see NW says bring your cell phone because of delays and cancellations to call the 800 number because the lines are long at the counters. Bring snacks and water. Does not sound like things are going to smoothly.

Okie

KarlB737
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:04 am

Courtesy: KARE-TV

First Business Travel Day A Test For NWA

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=105429

Video Report:

http://www.kare11.com/player.aspx?aid=17663&bw=

commavia

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:11 am

Despite the union's claims, I still think it's pretty darn impressive that NW is even getting as many flights into the air, let alone on time, as they are. Granted, their schedule completion and on-time numbers have almost certainly dropped considerably since pre-strike, and have probably deteriorated somewhat today versus the lighter weekend schedule, but if NW is still managing to complete 98% of their flights, even if only just over 50% are on time -- as some say, that is still pretty good (and, to my knowledge, unprecedented) considering that the airline's entire workforce of mechanics is out on strike.

KarlB737
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:19 am

Courtesy: The Detroit News

Delays Slow Northwest Fliers

http://www.detnews.com/2005/business/0508/22/A01-288448.htm

Jano

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:21 am

And all of them working at NW and keeping NW running deserve Big Respect and Thank you from us, NW flyers  bigthumbsup  I cannot wait to fly NW to EU in October!
The Widget Air Line :)

kc135topboom

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:30 am

I would expect nothing less from the news media. They NEVER get the story straight. They put their own spin on the story. Most news outlets, like these tend to put the union spin on the story.

Like this story from KARE in MSP (NWA Headquarters).

"KARE 11's Joe Fryer performed his own on-time check on Monday, using information found on Northwest's Web site.

He looked at 57 flights on Monday morning and early afternoon. Those were flights between Minneapolis and Detroit, Memphis, Las Vegas, Chicago, New York and Denver.

Of those 57 flights, 29 flights, or 51 percent, were on time or early.

Another 14 flights, or 25 percent, were between 15 and 30 minutes late and 10 flights were more than 30 minutes late.

Four flights were cancelled."

There were more than 57 flights throughout Monday morning and early afternoon that departed from MSP.

When you take a hand selected sample, you can skew the numbers exactly as you want them. Why wasn't departures to BOS, SFO, LAX, DFW, Washington, Orlando, MIA, ALT, PDX, SEA, Spokane, or other cities included in the story? Why no international departures? Is it because those departures would have skewed the numbers into the normal range?

The news media is scum and they think they are talking to idiots. That is another thing they consistantly get wrong.

KarlB737
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:05 am

sunrisevalley

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:33 am

Its the old story, from the Unions viewpoint the glass is half empty, from the companies viewpoint it is half full.
Only the customer from their experiences can decide who is right.

KarlB737
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:36 am

Courtesy: Aircraft Maintenance Technology

Northwest Airlines On-time Performance Drops to 50 Percent Over Weekend, Independent Business Travel Expert Reports

http://www.amtonline.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=1728

[Edited 2005-08-23 02:37:44]

isitsafenow

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:55 am

I think what we are seeing here is sensationalism at its best with the media.
NW is doing quite a job flying as many planes as they are. The longer this goes, the fewer problems will be encountered and the smoother it will get. The union is close to the end here. The next 10 days will tell if NW will fly on or buckle to the AMFA union. If the planes are flying come labor day, the war is over and NW will be declared the winner. Time is on managements side.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

solehibob

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:59 am

You miss the point. NW mechs have possibly won already. Their simply staying out of negotiations limits NW mgmt's ability to move forward with the other work groups. No further concessions means no further savings means NW goes into Chapter.

hence the union saying they would rather see NW in court than concede even if they get the same package

[Edited 2005-08-23 02:59:46]

avek00

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:06 am

Quoting Solehibob (Reply 12):
No further concessions means no further savings means NW goes into Chapter.

Actually, NWA *has* gotten its concessions - the new mech plan will deliver the same or greater level of savings that the airline wanted from AMFA.
Live life to the fullest.

isitsafenow

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:11 am

So they go to Chapter 11, so what? It doesn't change today to back to yesterday.
AMFA keeps walking. You think the judge orders them back with the pre-8-20 contract? I don't think so, scooter.
If the company goes chapter 11, they(NWA) have leverage over the workers, union or non union. Ask the United people.
AMFA is almost in a no-win situation.
safe

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:11 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 11):
The longer this goes, the fewer problems will be encountered and the smoother it will get.

It really hasn't even started yet. The replacement mechanics are loading each aircraft with MEL items to get the planes out of the gate. These MELs must be fixed within a certain time frame or the item "drops dead", and the aircraft is grounded, no matter where it's located. The FAA occasionally allows an extension, but under the circumstances, with the MEL count likely through the roof, I doubt any leeway will given. These MEL items are like ticking time bombs.

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 11):
If the planes are flying come labor day, the war is over and NW will be declared the winner. Time is on managements side.

Rumor has it the replacement mechanics contract is up on September 1, although I can't confirm it.

Derik737

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:20 am

Does any ACARS hobbiest from the west coast have a copy of this message in the subject matter below (posted from another message board)?

Hey TM,

Is someone or someones actively looking into the alleged B757 incidences previously refered to? ie; IFSD/low oil-no caps???

Something like that would be a silver bullet. It could bring this little drama to a close rather quickly I would think.

Any more Info???
I have been told that the incident is being aggressively pursued by AMFA officials, and that NWA is equally adamant to keep the fiasco quiet. Thus far I have obtained documentation that at least part of the alleged incident did in fact occur: AC 58xx, "RT ENG OIL QTY IS DROPPING ENROUTE. WILL REQUIRE A POSITIVE FIX BEFORE DEPARTING SFO. ADVISE MC OF FINDINGS-THNX" And...it was an ETOPS flight. - TM

isitsafenow

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:21 am

In the history of this country, the only prolonged strikes I can recall where the union won the battle, is UAW vs. the big three.
There are none in the airline industry where the union clearly won the battle. They pretty much all ended in compromise.
This battle MAY be a first win for an airline union but I am like a baseball manager and I play the percentages.
I have to say management will prevail. I DID NOT say I am rooting for management but its where I place my bets and that's not with the AMFA.
safe

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:28 am

Quoting Derik737 (Reply 16):
Any more Info???
I have been told that the incident is being aggressively pursued by AMFA officials, and that NWA is equally adamant to keep the fiasco quiet. Thus far I have obtained documentation that at least part of the alleged incident did in fact occur: AC 58xx, "RT ENG OIL QTY IS DROPPING ENROUTE. WILL REQUIRE A POSITIVE FIX BEFORE DEPARTING SFO. ADVISE MC OF FINDINGS-THNX" And...it was an ETOPS flight. - TM

I have gotten the same info through the grapevine. It's unconfirmed, however it seems a 757 made an unplanned stop due to both engines low on oil. Seems someone managed to leave both oil caps off. Could have been nasty.

Derik737

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:30 am

Quoting 242 (Reply 18):
Seems someone managed to leave both oil caps off. Could have been nasty.

Well if it's an ETOPS flight, it would legally have to be 2 individuals leaving the caps off, correct?

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:50 am

Quoting Derik737 (Reply 19):
Well if it's an ETOPS flight, it would legally have to be 2 individuals leaving the caps off, correct?

That's right, however, if this rumor has any truth to it, I'd bet it was only one individual responsible for both caps, which would be in direct violation of ETOPS regs. NWA had better be careful, losing their ETOPS certification would certainly be the beginning of the end.

FlyBoeing

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:51 am

I'd like a look at that message board if possible too. If this is happening it instantly discredits the replacements, which puts the airline in Chapter 11 right quick.

Any news agencies pick up the item?

Quoting Derik737 (Reply 16):
Is someone or someones actively looking into the alleged B757 incidences previously refered to? ie; IFSD/low oil-no caps???

Something like that would be a silver bullet. It could bring this little drama to a close rather quickly I would think.

Any more Info???

LUVRSW

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:37 am

At what point does NW win? How long can the Mechs strike before NW says "you are all fired!" 30 days? 60 days?

FlyBoeing

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:42 am

Hey Derik 737, I found an AP story that ties to your 757 incident...

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3752902

MAUI, Hawaii Mechanical problems have caused trouble on a Northwest Airlines flight to Hawaii.

The airline is in the third day of a mechanics union strike.

Hal Myers of the Air Line Pilots Association says Flight 95 from Seattle to Maui was diverted to Honolulu yesterday after a gage showed a loss of oil.

Myers says the pilots had to throttle the engine back to idle, meaning the two-engine 757 had to make the rest of the trip on power from just one engine.

There were two reported mechanical problems on Northwest flights on the first day of the strike Saturday.

Short of somebody actually dying, this is not looking good. The scabs put 100+ people's lives in danger, not to mention Northwest's ETOPS certification. Heck, if all the oil spilled then the engine must have gotten wrecked too.

If the FAA starts sniffing around they could shut down all the twin-engine overwater flights, which means all the A330 service to Europe and Asia plus most of the Hawaii service.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:44 am

Quoting LUVRSW (Reply 22):
At what point does NW win?

I don't think anyone will "win".

Quoting LUVRSW (Reply 22):
How long can the Mechs strike before NW says "you are all fired!" 30 days? 60 days?

Contracts never expire under the Railway Labor Act, and this being a legal strike under the RLA, it can go on forever in theory. At this point, either the mechs or management will have to reach an agreement, or the company will go CH 11 and the judge will decide what needs to be done.

LUVRSW

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:45 am

What is ETOPS? Thanks

typhaerion

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:58 am

Quoting LUVRSW (Reply 25):
What is ETOPS? Thanks

Don't let the joksters get you. It stands for "Extended Twin-Engine Operations." This is an FAA program that certifies carriers to fly twin engine aircraft a certain time over water 90 degrees from the nearest divert point. Without ETOPS no twins could fly from the mainland to Hawaii. It translates to an extra set of monitoring of certain components on the aircraft that the FAA has identified as ETOPS components. These must have good reliability for certification. As well, the airline must be below a certain number of inflight shutdowns per departure. That number is pretty low, like .3 per 1000 departures. So one or two shut downs make a big difference.

Hope that helps!!
For some, the sky is the limit. For us, it is only the beginning... -- Jack Hunt

Jano

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:01 pm

The Widget Air Line :)

legendDC9

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:10 pm

You miss the point. NW mechs have possibly won already. Their simply staying out of negotiations limits NW mgmt's ability to move forward with the other work groups

It's really to early to tell. In the mean time, Mechanics are not getting paid and the airline is more or less running. I'd say that for right now, NW has had their game plan working while the MX are sweating. How long it will last? Who knows... What is for certain is the the MX folks have shot all their bullets and walked out. NW still hasn't shown everything they have up their sleeve yet.

typhaerion

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:11 pm

Quoting Jano (Reply 27):

Man I love Wikipedia...thank you for those links. They help.
For some, the sky is the limit. For us, it is only the beginning... -- Jack Hunt

L-188

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:17 pm

I think the union is in trouble. NW is clearly showing that they are able to run a fairly complete schedual despite them.

The most critical hours of a strike are said to be the first 72. If NW keeps this up, then I would summize that they will for a long time.

Quoting FlyBoeing (Reply 23):
Short of somebody actually dying, this is not looking good. The scabs put 100+ people's lives in danger, not to mention Northwest's ETOPS certification. Heck, if all the oil spilled then the engine must have gotten wrecked too.

And the truth be told, a precationary shutdown is not exactly the most critical event to happen in an airplane. And it doesn't matter if a airline A&P or a contract A&P. Seals still fail, and they aren't going to stop it.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ikramerica

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:20 pm

First, they were losing oil so they shut it down to idle.

Second, it was not two engines as claimed by the union email machine, so they didn't "violate" the ETOPS regs.

Third, I guess no plane every crashed and killed people because of a mistake by union employees? I guess when a door gets left open, a hatch isn't closed right, an engine isn't properly maintained, a pilot overreacts and crashes a plane, a pilot lands long, etc. it's ALWAYS a scab doing it? Get a life.

A mistake was made, it was caught and the plane landed safely. This same mistake could have happened elsewhere at any airline.

If hundreds were happening, that would be different. If planes were dropping from the skies...

These scabs you disparage are layed off mechanics from other airlines in many cases, who's union did nothing to protect their job. And because they were layed off and not fired, they might be great at their job, just not as senior as the lazy clown who got to keep his...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

typhaerion

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:25 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 30):
The most critical hours of a strike are said to be the first 72.

This might be true of a pilot or f/a strike. In the case of a mechanic strike, the buffer of negative effect will take time to build. I say this completely neutrally. As the less experienced and proficient mechanics continue to work, the tasks they will have to do will complexify. Changing a tire or brake isn't all that complex most times. But when the big issues hit, they will ground planes unless it is a job NW feels it can leave up to the replacements. The MEL's will stack, the issues will build, and then the union will have its full result. If the replacements can handle the complexity, then you will be right about the Union being in trouble. If they cannot, it will take a decent amount of time before it shows. Surely longer than three days. Give it a week or two and then see. We will know more down the road.

Derik737

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:27 pm

Hey Derik 737, I found an AP story that ties to your 757 incident...

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.a...52902

It sounds like this was not the incident in question...

Here's a newpaper article about the 757 with the loss of oil pressure:
http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3752902

Thank you very much for the link. However, the flight that allegedly suffered an IFSD was on August 21. This is ANOTHER NWA maintenance problem. - TM

Tornado82

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:29 pm

Quoting 242 (Reply 24):

I don't think anyone will "win".

Big winners to be, if this drags on for the long-term: HP/US, UA, DL, CO, WN, FL, B6, F9... I think you get my drift with what I'm getting at here, unfortunately.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:31 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 31):
First, they were losing oil so they shut it down to idle.

Second, it was not two engines as claimed by the union email machine, so they didn't "violate" the ETOPS regs.

Events that may put an airlines ETOPS program in jeopardy are often not reported completely. Pilots are well aware what would happen to the airline if their ETOPS cert got pulled. It's the reason the engine in question was brought back to idle instead of being shut down, as this does not count as an in flight shutdown.

And yes, I am "in the know" -- I'm an ETOPS certified line mechanic for my airline.

Traindriver

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:38 pm

Not being from the airline industry, what are MEL's?

Fleet Service

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:46 pm

Quoting Ikramerica:
just not as senior as the lazy clown who got to keep his...

Funny, all the senior men I work with will generally work the young kids under the table.

The younger ones tend to be the lazy ones,busy yapping on their cell while the rest of the crew is out on the gate, busy hitting on the gate agent while we're loading 250 MIA bags, or busy checking their PNR for that 6am to SDQ out of JFK tommorow.
Yes, I actually *do* work for an airline,how about you?

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:01 pm

Quoting Traindriver (Reply 36):
Not being from the airline industry, what are MEL's?

MEL refers to the Minimum Equipment List. The short story is that not all of an airliners equipment has to work. If a malfunctioning item appears on this list, repairs to it can be deferred for a set amount of time. When the time is up for the item, it "drops dead" and the aircraft is considered unairworthy and cannot be flown for revenue service until the problem is corrected.

Rumor has it that the MEL count for the NWA fleet is approaching 800. This is frighteningly high. A normal count for a fleet NWA operates should be around 200. If their MEL count is indeed near 800, it means nearly every airplane they own has at least two things wrong with them at any given time. Since the replacement mechs have been adding MEL items at a feverish pace this past weekend, the deferred items will begin to expire all at once, overwhelming the system.

Some perspective: A feeder airline I worked for many years ago flew roughly 60 aircraft. The MEL count got near 50. The FAA freaked, management freaked, pilots freaked, and we were given strict orders to clear all MEL items, no matter what the delay.

FlyBoeing

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:02 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 31):
Third, I guess no plane every crashed and killed people because of a mistake by union employees? I guess when a door gets left open, a hatch isn't closed right, an engine isn't properly maintained, a pilot overreacts and crashes a plane, a pilot lands long, etc. it's ALWAYS a scab doing it?

True. Union employees make mistakes too, and probably the union covers for them also. What I'm suggesting is the PR impact of this happening so soon after a reorganization. I have no emotional interest - I'm actually "short" on Northwest stock so bad news for them is good news for me.

Based on my personal experiences with Northwest I think that this airline is so infused with the poison between management and labor that its resources are better invested elsewhere.

Last before I kick off - I can't believe that according to Derik737 there may be another 757 incident. I'm still interested in knowing more about that one.

FlyBoeing

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:07 pm

OK, I couldn't resist.

Quoting 242 (Reply 38):
Rumor has it that the MEL count for the NWA fleet is approaching 800. This is frighteningly high. A normal count for a fleet NWA operates should be around 200. If their MEL count is indeed near 800, it means nearly every airplane they own has at least two things wrong with them at any given time. Since the replacement mechs have been adding MEL items at a feverish pace this past weekend, the deferred items will begin to expire all at once, overwhelming the system.

THANKS LOADS for the info on what an MEL means. I didn't know the way the FAA treated these items. Do you think that the current Administration is directing the FAA to let Northwest slide in return for some political payoff?

Traindriver

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:09 pm

For 242,
Thanks, appreciate the info.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:36 pm

Quoting FlyBoeing (Reply 40):
THANKS LOADS for the info on what an MEL means. I didn't know the way the FAA treated these items. Do you think that the current Administration is directing the FAA to let Northwest slide in return for some political payoff?

Probably not, the FAA has always been a 'tombstone counter'. They wait until a disaster happens before anything is done.

andrewuber

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:50 pm

You miss the point. NW mechs have possibly won already. Their simply staying out of negotiations limits NW mgmt's ability to move forward with the other work groups. No further concessions means no further savings means NW goes into Chapter.

No, YOU missed the point. The mechanics are on strike, and the airline had a 98% completion rate today. Looks like the airline is winning. The mechanics are not working, and therefore not getting PAID. Instead, NW is spending this money MUCH more wisely on contractors (like myself). My boys are making above industry average - and NW is still spending less on them than on these idiots who are on strike.

I'd say things are just as they should be. The mechanics going on strike was a GREAT way to get rid of some "extra baggage", and now the airline can focus on becoming profitable again, instead of seeing their profits go into mechanic's yacht-fuel funds.

My opinion on unions is starting to change!  stirthepot 

DREW
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:06 pm

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 43):
My boys are making above industry average - and NW is still spending less on them than on these idiots who are on strike.

I'd say things are just as they should be. The mechanics going on strike was a GREAT way to get rid of some "extra baggage", and now the airline can focus on becoming profitable again, instead of seeing their profits go into mechanic's yacht-fuel funds.

Enjoy it while it lasts. As long as NWA isn't in Chapter 11, AMFA members have a legal right to return to work and kick your "boys" to the street.

UALdispatch

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:11 pm

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 43):
No, YOU missed the point. The mechanics are on strike, and the airline had a 98% completion rate today. Looks like the airline is winning. The mechanics are not working, and therefore not getting PAID. Instead, NW is spending this money MUCH more wisely on contractors (like myself). My boys are making above industry average - and NW is still spending less on them than on these idiots who are on strike.

If the rumor about 800+ MEL's and building is correct then you and your boys will have your hands full. Of course its just a rumor but is something I wouldnt be suprised if it had some truth to it. If the Scabs are able to work thru then you will have been proven correct. Just remember that what goes around comes around. There might come a day when your livelyhood is threatened by an unfair deal which NW has done to these mechanics. The industry has a very long memory and those who Scabbed at NW will have a heck of a time finding a job once they have outlived their usefullness and NW disgards them for even lower paying mechanics and contractors.
FLY UNITED AIRLINES AND THE FRIENDLY SKIES

andrewuber

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:22 pm

Quoting 242 (Reply 44):
Enjoy it while it lasts. As long as NWA isn't in Chapter 11, AMFA members have a legal right to return to work and kick your "boys" to the street.

Union workers are not likely to "return to work", as they think it's more productive to stand on the street and bitch about having their wages lowered to a point that is STILL well above national average.

Quoting UALdispatch (Reply 45):
The industry has a very long memory and those who Scabbed at NW will have a heck of a time finding a job once they have outlived their usefullness and NW disgards them for even lower paying mechanics and contractors.

Not bloody likely. These mechanics who are out there WORKING for a living have built a reputation for helping an airline in need. That is something that other airlines will look at, and that is a highly desirable quality in a worker. What makes a worker UNDERSIRABLE is when they say stupid crap like "Now is our opportunity to screw NWA". An airline won't look to favorably on a moron like that.

And who cares about what the airlines think - how do these ex-mechanics tell their wives and kids that they'd rather see NW (their former employer) go bankrupt than to take a pay cut? Will that make things better in two months when you're working the sales counter at Radio Shack for $8.00 per hour???

Wake up and smell the SkyDrol (or wake up and smell the unemployment lines for you die-hard UNION heroes).

Drew
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

UALdispatch

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:34 pm

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 46):
how do these ex-mechanics tell their wives and kids that they'd rather see NW (their former employer) go bankrupt than to take a pay cut?

Oh i see so this is only about taking a paycut? Perhaps it was just an oversight but the layoff of %50 of their members had something to do with it also. So i guess those ex mechanics would have been better served to tell their wives that they voted themselves out of a job but not to worry since the execs gave themselves a bonus. Of course the wife would say well as long as the execs keep getting bonuses they will work quickly to turn things around at NW and you will be called back ASAP. Also the mechanic could tell his wife "Hey things are getting better anyways since they just hired another 1900+ mechanics as standby mechanics to help us out".
FLY UNITED AIRLINES AND THE FRIENDLY SKIES

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:38 pm

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 46):
Not bloody likely. These mechanics who are out there WORKING for a living have built a reputation for helping an airline in need. That is something that other airlines will look at, and that is a highly desirable quality in a worker. What makes a worker UNDERSIRABLE is when they say stupid crap like "Now is our opportunity to screw NWA". An airline won't look to favorably on a moron like that.

Two of the most desirable employers for an aviation mechanic to work for are Southwest (AMFA) and UPS (IBT). Once someone is blacklisted as a scab, their chances of getting hired at either are virtually nil. Aviation employers understand strikes happen, and they seldom will penalize an ex union member when making a hiring decision. Proof positive: I work with several ex Eastern mechanics.

Fleet Service

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:44 pm

Quoting AndrewUber:
The mechanics going on strike was a GREAT way to get rid of some "extra baggage", and now the airline can focus on becoming profitable again, instead of seeing their profits go into mechanic's yacht-fuel funds.

Okay, so they got rid of 4,400+ employees...

You conveniently forget to address the unrelenting price of Jet-A, the lack of pricing power by any of the legacy airlines due to the transparency of internet pricing and the continued assault by the low cost carriers on the route structures of the legacy airlines.

So getting rid of the technicians will address the price of crude?
So getting rid of the technicians will address the lack of pricing power?

But yes, getting rid of 4,400 technicians will definitely put NWAC back on the road to profitability.  Yeah sure
Yes, I actually *do* work for an airline,how about you?