clickhappy

Southwest To Buy Quiet Jetliners

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:45 pm

Airline says it will use 737-700s at Boeing Field

Hoping to head off concerns from neighborhoods under Boeing Field's flight paths, Southwest Airlines has committed to buying enough next-generation Boeing 737 planes to make its flights from the county-owned airport as quiet as possible.

The advanced Boeing 737-700s, which allow pilots to minimize ground noise by climbing quickly, would also enable the airline to fly a new approach over Elliott Bay that has generated few noise complaints from Magnolia and West Seattle residents

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/237635_southwest23.html

drerx7

RE: Southwest To Buy Quiet Jetliners

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:50 pm

I'm confused--"WN to buy quiet Jetliners" what do you mean?
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

BOS2LAF

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:55 pm

Wait, so does this mean theyre serious about BFI this time? I thought it was all hot air.

atrude777

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:56 pm

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 1):

Quoting Clickhappy (Thread starter):
Southwest Airlines has committed to buying enough next-generation Boeing 737 planes to make its flights from the county-owned airport as quiet as possible.

There you go  Wink

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

HOMER71

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:57 pm

From the article:

"When I bought this house 11 years ago, I knew very well it was an active airport," said Angie Walls, who lives near the runway and runs a home and garden store in Georgetown. "I know the airport has to make money, but does it have to be such a monster?"

LOL, is WN flying 747's in BFI?
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Glareskin

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:04 pm

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 1):

Like yourself, I was shocked. WN to buy Airbus planes? Never experienced a quiet 737... Is it a joke or do they want to keep this deal quite?
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

drerx7

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:06 pm

LOL@Glareskin

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 3):
Southwest Airlines has committed to buying enough next-generation Boeing 737 planes to make its flights from the county-owned airport as quiet as possible.

Southwest was buying these planes regardless of access to BFI.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

kc135topboom

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:07 pm

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 4):
From the article:

"When I bought this house 11 years ago, I knew very well it was an active airport," said Angie Walls, who lives near the runway and runs a home and garden store in Georgetown. "I know the airport has to make money, but does it have to be such a monster?"

My answer to her question would be "YES". You buy a house next to an airport, than you need to EXPECT noise.  banghead 

Maybe it would be good for all airlines to go back to the old water injected engines?  Wink

To bad WN retired their B-737-200s, they would be perfect for BFI.  duck 

clickhappy

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:00 pm

I am sure this is just a ploy to get people to think "Hey, if we allow Southwest to serve BFI they will buy more Boeing planes..."

isitsafenow

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:05 pm

DRERX7....It means Herb is committed to buying 137 passenger gliders.  smirk 
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

sulman

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:06 pm

Are the -300's that noisy? I honestly can't hear the difference between them and the NG's here (At work under the flightpath at SOU).

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

mtnmanmakalu

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:09 pm

Quoting Glareskin (Reply 5):
Like yourself, I was shocked. WN to buy Airbus planes? Never experienced a quiet 737

Funny, but saying that the "wood-chipper" noise A319/320 is quieter than a NG 737 is even more shocking!!!

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 7):
My answer to her question would be "YES". You buy a house next to an airport, than you need to EXPECT noise.

When the property was purchased years ago, BFI was NOT an Airport that was supposed to be used for many scheduled flights everyday like they are proposing now.... I'm sure you wouldn't like it if it all changed after you moved in!!!

mtnman  Wink
I do, I don't, whatever.......

N908AW

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:18 pm

Quoting Mtnmanmakalu (Reply 11):

Funny, but saying that the "wood-chipper" noise A319/320 is quieter than a NG 737 is even more shocking!!!

Eek... don't remind me! Must...stop..the...evil...whining!!  banghead 
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

ASMD80

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:10 am

Airline says it will use 737-700s at Boeing Field

I don't think having WN use only 73Gs at BFI will solve anything.

Oh, and WN should instead look into Stage IV hushkits for all their 737's, but people will still b***h about it.
Some things are actually better at 30,000+ feet...

ZSOFN

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:31 am

I know what you mean! Is that just heard on the aircraft with the IAEs or with the CFMs as well? If so, why does a CFM sound different on an A32x compared to a 737?

PlanesNTrains

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:39 am

When the property was purchased years ago, BFI was NOT an Airport that was supposed to be used for many scheduled flights everyday like they are proposing now.... I'm sure you wouldn't like it if it all changed after you moved in!!!

It's already been a very busy airport. Many cargo, charter, and private jet operators use it daily. Yes, traffic will increase, but it's not like they're opening up some unused field.

Besides, they have a LOOOOONG road ahead of them in making this happen. And didn't I read somewhere that SEA had already agreed to drop it's top fees from $24+ pp to $14.50?

-Dave
-Dave

satx

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:48 am

Quoting Sulman (Reply 10):
Are the -300's that noisy? I honestly can't hear the difference between them and the NG's here (At work under the flightpath at SOU).

&

Quoting ASMD80 (Reply 13):
I don't think having WN use only 73Gs at BFI will solve anything.

Apparently the performance of the -700 allows for less low-flying over residential areas. I'm not sure that the actual noise level is that different, only how close the plane is likely to be to ground level near residential areas.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

ZSOFN

Nothing Ryanair haven't already tried...

No wait! BFI isn't an hour out of town!

cloudy

Southwest's noise impact on BFI will be negligible. Many planes that fly into BFI routinely are far louder than a 737. Some of the many business jets and other general aviation craft that use the airport were not built with any concern for ground noise at all. Military jets can be louder still. This is not some puddle-jumper rural field with some poor old grandmas nearby, who were there long before the airport. This is one of the busiest airports in the country without scheduled commercial service. It has been that way for a very long time. There is no informed, honest opposition to Southwest's move to BFI based on noise. Whoever is making that argument either does not know what they are talking about or is lying to you.

My guess is that whatever opposition there is to the move exists for these reasons...

.....The Port Authority in Seattle wants its pound of flesh from Southwest and is pulling the strings behind the scenes. They charge some of the highest fees in the country at Sea-Tac and want to charge even more.

.....Some people just oppose all development near them as a matter of habit and political convenience.

.....People are afraid of the increase in ground traffic. This is a more substantive issue than noise in many airport expansions. It is something that people get legitimatly concerned about, and not just because of the raw increase in traffic volume. Take a look at the traffic arround a major airport.You see lots of people that don't know where they are going driving cars they don't own. So they drive to slowly or to recklessly, or both. Often they are talking on their cell phones. In this way, many rental car drivers introduce themselves to the city with the worst driving known to man. Taxi drivers whip in and out of traffic to grab one last fare. Airports also attract more trucks and busses that would otherwise come to an area. The noise, delay, and danger airport traffic creates is a real headache - and a legitimate issue.

JFKviaPHX

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:05 am

I don't know what the big deal is with airplane noise. I live in Rockaway near JFK and we get it almost all day and all night. The 742 freighters make a lot of noise at 3000 feet. Just get use to it.

AirWillie6475

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:09 am

Why don't they buy planes that are acutally quiet on the inside.

A340600

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:31 am

Quoting Sulman (Reply 10):

There isn't much, but I find the NG's even louder, especially inside the cabin and in flight pilots say they're noisier up front.

Are you kidding?! An A32X is MUCH quieter than a 737!

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Silver1SWA
Crew

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:35 am

Lets not forget the situation at SNA. I believe WN only flies 737-700s to SNA for the same reason.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Glareskin

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:44 am

That is the best description for this sound I have ever heard!  Smile But indeed it is annoying

But still, that is a pre-flying noise. Up in the air there is a remarkable difference in favor of the flying bus..

roseflyer

Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:33 am

The advanced Boeing 737-700s, which allow pilots to minimize ground noise by climbing quickly, would also enable the airline to fly a new approach over Elliott Bay that has generated few noise complaints from Magnolia and West Seattle residents

This confuses me. Flying over Elliot Bay is the normal straight in departure. All of the large jets do that. There are probably few complaints about this departure regardless of what type of plane it is. You fly over the industrial part of Seattle, and then are over Puget Sound and Elliot Bay.

West Seattle residents probably won't be affected at all by the extra 737s. Those neighborhoods have to deal with all of the west bound (west/vashon departure/arrivals) of small planes. Typical procedure is to fly over west Seattle at 500-1000ft AGL in order to stay below Sea-Tac's class bravo airspace.

The place that the extra 737s will really hurt is when the airport is in south flow and the 737s will fly down the valley. You fly over residential neighborhoods then, and there are noise issues.

As for Magnolia, no flight paths out of BFI really fly over that area unless you have an obnoxious pilot that intentionally flies over land instead of the water. Overall I really do not understand anyway that the 73G's performance will be helpful in reducing noise other than the obvious of it being a quieter airplane.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

S12PPL

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:05 am

Like yourself, I was shocked. WN to buy Airbus planes? Never experienced a quiet 737... Is it a joke or do they want to keep this deal quite?

Then you havn't spent much time at an airport that gets lots of A320's and A319's. They aren't any quieter OUTSIDE than a 737. Just because it's quiet inside, doesn't mean it's quiet outside.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

deltaguy767

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:10 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 21):
Are you kidding?! An A32X is MUCH quieter than a 737!

Oh great another A vs. B battle on A.net  banghead . If we all use common sense here we would all know that it is very hard to say definitively that the 737NG is quieter than the A-319/20 because A) that person's opinion can be skewed based on company preference B) the engine could be different on one 737NG or A-319/20 than another causing a less amount of noise versus another engine.C) The aircraft could probably be using different power settings or at different altitudes when making the difference that one is less noisy than another. Now I realize that we all have our own opinions, but on this website, this is the one issue that is so heated that we should all try and steer clear of triggering these pointless bickerings. Now jeer at me if you will, flamed  but this is my opinion on this particular issue.

Sincerely from BDL,
DeltaGuy767
A Good Landing is one you walk away from!

DfwRevolution

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:16 am

>> There isn't much, but I find the NG's even louder, especially inside the cabin and in flight pilots say they're noisier up front.

#1. I'm sure that's of relevance to the property owners near BFI, the pressing issue is exterior noise. In this respect, the 737NG is on the same level as the A320.

#2. A modification became available in 2004 that reduces the 737NG cockpit noise if the opperator selects it. A series of small vortex generators directly above the radome silences the air noise in the cockpit.

>> Apparently the performance of the -700 allows for less low-flying over residential areas. I'm not sure that the actual noise level is that different, only how close the plane is likely to be to ground level near residential areas.

Yes, the 737-700 can make steeper climbs to contain its noise print, and the aircraft itself is quieter than the 737-300.

I go to work near DAL, you can notice a difference between winglet equipped 73G and regular 733/735.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:20 am

"Southwest to Buy Quiet Jetliners?" As opposed to propliners?

I have DHC-2 and DHC-6 aircraft flying over my house at 300 ft AGL every 15 minutes all day long. I hear them, but so what? I hear Harleys and semi trucks and sirens and lawnmowers, too. That's what comes with living in a built-up area.

Why do airplane noises bother some people? I find lawnmowers annoying, but I don't piss and moan about them...except right now.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

gipper913

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:23 am

Quoting JFKviaPHX (Reply 19):
I don't know what the big deal is with airplane noise. I live in Rockaway near JFK and we get it almost all day and all night. The 742 freighters make a lot of noise at 3000 feet. Just get use to it.

AMEN! I grew up about 8 miles East of you...and those 74s and the Concordes every morning were loud.....and we got used to them just fine....a 737-XXX or an A3XX???? Gimme a break. They are pipsqueaks by comparison.

NOW, more importantly, when will WN buy themselves some quiet, clean, well-mannered pax???? Talk about ruining the airport environment!!!  yuck 
The size of the federal budget is not an appropriate barometer of social conscience or charitable concern. --R. Reagan

MGA

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:39 am

Quoting Gipper913 (Reply 29):
NOW, more importantly, when will WN buy themselves some quiet, clean, well-mannered pax???? Talk about ruining the airport environment!!!

Now that is FUNNY!!! and SO real...

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

panam330

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:40 am

Oh tee friggen hee. The NG is an incredibly quiet aircraft.

Cruiser

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:51 am

Quoting DeltaGuy767 (Reply 26):
If we all use common sense here we would all know that it is very hard to say definitively that the 737NG is quieter than the A-319/20 because A) that person's opinion can be skewed based on company preference B) the engine could be different on one 737NG or A-319/20 than another causing a less amount of noise versus another engine.C) The aircraft could probably be using different power settings or at different altitudes when making the difference that one is less noisy than another

Welcome to my Respected Users List. There are way too many variables to even compare the two. Also, don't forget the atmospheric conditions  Wink

James
Leahy on Per Seat Costs: "Have you seen the B-2 fly-by at almost US$1bn a copy? It has only 2 seats!"

syncmaster

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:44 am

Never experienced a quiet 737... Is it a joke or do they want to keep this deal quite?

I don't know about you, but I was standing under the 4R approach at MDW today, and couldn't tell a difference between the 737's that were taxiing and the ones that were rumbling down the runway. I did however hear the Northwest A320/319 without any problems.

-Charlie

[Edited 2005-08-24 02:47:18]

andrewuber

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:03 am

I doubt they'll keep any deal QUITE.... LOL

And Sync is right - if you want to experience a QUIET 737, just go to your local airport and look for NG's. They are extremely quiet.

And the A32X's are CERTAINLY louder than a NG 737!!
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

roseflyer

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:30 am

Ok guys you are getting a little carried away with this whole 737NGs make no noise thing. They do make a hell of a lot of noise. Compared to Cessnas and other small planes flying out of BFI, you can definitely hear the 737s. There are other loud planes flying out of BFI like the old learjets, charter jets, and cargo planes, but the 737s can be noisy. From a mile away I can barely hear a Cessna 172, but can definitely hear a 737 when it is near full power. Don't forget which is the most common plane flown into BFI. It is the 172. Residents don't have problems with them as long as it is not night. The additional WN flights would probably double the noise from loud planes at the airport (presuming WN had 30-50 flights a day), and don't forget that if WN moves, then other airlines might to. One day 737s might be the most prominant plane at BFI, which is a lot louder than a C172. Now while the Cessnas fly at low altitudes over houses (like downwind for the short runway, or for departures to the west), jets will be more bothersome for more people.

So people do have the right to complane. Jets are not quiet. They are loud and there are ordinances in place that prohibit BFI from gaining commercial jet service. They have been in place ever since jets became popular and Sea-Tac was built. So people moved into the area assured by real estate agents that BFI would not be a major busy airport with loud jet traffic. WN and others (because you know AS will come along too) will significantly increase noise, and these people that have houses in the vicinity of BFI were told that this would not happen. I don't quite understand how WN and BFI are getting around the rules to allow this to happen, but if I lived in that area, I would be mad too. It is one of the few affordable places to live that is an easy bus commute to downtown. So before you go off blasting people that don't enjoy jet noise, think about it. Jets are noisy.

One thing that I do not like about this website is how people really don't care for others. Yes we love flying and airplanes, but remember there are other people out there that live in our communities. They have opinions and they can be just as vocal and fed up as Anetters can get at them.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

hz747300

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:35 am

This is the kind of mentally defective thinking that has me worried about the future of the United States. This woman and her comments are both equally pathetic and they give all American citizens a bad name. Did she not hear what she just said? She cannot be that stupid and still be allowed to own property.

About a year ago, maybe even a little more, some similar idiot complained on the board that the real estate agent lied to him about the aircraft noice when he was buying a house near Heathrow. At least we had enough sense to laugh him off this forum when he complained.
Keep on truckin'...

PlanesNTrains

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:43 am

Quoting Cloudy (Reply 18):
Many planes that fly into BFI routinely are far louder than a 737. Some of the many business jets and other general aviation craft that use the airport were not built with any concern for ground noise at all.

I live under a heavily used corridor for planes arriving/departing SEA, though a little ways away. I also have arrivals to BFI pass overhead regularly. By far, the arrivals to BFI are generally louder than either the arrivals or departures at SEA. Usually this is because the BFI flights are DC-8's, Bizjets, etc.

In the same light, when departing from the south in the evening, an SAS A340 and a BA 744 fly over about the same time, and aren't much louder than some of the smaller planes. But then a BAX (or whoever they are now) DC-8 goes over and you really know it's them.

I think that is why the argument about noise at BFI is somewhat overstated - they won't be experiencing nearly the same noise level with WN as they do with many of the other operators there.

Just my 2 cents.

-Dave
-Dave

searpqx

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:11 am

Quoting HZ747300 (Reply 36):
This is the kind of mentally defective thinking that has me worried about the future of the United States.

So the woman isn't eloquent - her point is valid. Nobody denies that BFI is a busy airport with jet traffic. Those that bought in the Georgetown area accepted that when they bought their homes. Heck, a few years ago, a good number of them work or worked at Boeing.

But BFI hasn't seen significant commerical pax traffic in 30 years, and up until this year, no one had any thought that it ever would again. There is a HUGE difference between a dozen or so cargo flights, 4 or 5 test/delivery flights (I'm guessing on this number - anyone w/ the real figure feel free to correct me) and innumerable GA flights vs. the proposed 60 (to start) WN flights, who knows how many AS/QX/OAL flights and all the existing traffic. WN alone would close to triple the number of daily jet departures. I guarantee you, no one who has purchased property around BFI since 1942 ever thought BFI would see that kind of volume.

So while there are lots of points to debate about WN moving to BFI, you can't call the existing residents crazy because there concerned about a tripling of jet activity, activity that was never anticipated, predicted or planned for.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

cpharris5514

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:15 am

From the article:

I would love to tell Ms. Walls about growing up just north of Boeing Field from 1964-1982, which I did. Those years included the days of the 707 and 727 line, along with the first-generation 737s. Forget any Stage 3 engines -- THAT was some true noise -- complete with some serious jet exhaust! Big grin

I really miss that some days . . .  crying 
From rural Carlisle, Iowa

roseflyer

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:40 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 38):
So while there are lots of points to debate about WN moving to BFI, you can't call the existing residents crazy because there concerned about a tripling of jet activity, activity that was never anticipated, predicted or planned for.

I fully agree with you and welcome to my respected users list!

All of these extra flights will certainly add to the noise, not to mention drive most of the General Aviation traffic over to the shorter runway which will cause more noise for residents of Beacon Hill because there will be more Mercer and Valley departures since the main runway will be clogged with jets.

drewfly

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:21 pm

Wait a minute.......ALL 737's are fitted out/delivered from BFI. This woman has to hear Boeing test flights all day long. Suddenly, she heard about Southwest moving in and it's a problem? Oh be quiet lady. Between all the Boeing test flights (civil and military), Paul Allen's 757s (plus his warbird collection), ancient freighters (DC-8s), and bizjets, she should be used to the noise.
A-10 Thunderbolt II, ugly as hell, efficient as hell, would you like to meet my boomstick?

Glareskin

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:45 pm

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 34):
And the A32X's are CERTAINLY louder than a NG 737!!

Then we must have a hearing sensitivity in a different frequency range because I've flown on NG's and 320's in several occasions recently and I do NOT approve with this statement.  liar  Big grin Actually on my first NG flight I had to reassure myself it was one because it was loud!

Shenzhen

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:27 pm

Quoting HZ747300 (Reply 36):
This is the kind of mentally defective thinking that has me worried about the future of the United States. This woman and her comments are both equally pathetic and they give all American citizens a bad name. Did she not hear what she just said? She cannot be that stupid and still be allowed to own property.

Look no further then the residents of Sydney and how every community cries foul each time the re-route departures due to another community complaining. How many times has the concept of opening a new airport been thrown about, just to stop these mentally defective Aussies form thinking too long.

But then those communities where the proposed airport get all mentally defective... generalization is great.

Wow....

hz747300

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:42 pm

Quoting Shenzhen (Reply 43):
Look no further then the residents of Sydney and how every community cries foul each time the re-route departures due to another community complaining. How many times has the concept of opening a new airport been thrown about, just to stop these mentally defective Aussies form thinking too long.

But then those communities where the proposed airport get all mentally defective

Couldn't tell you. I just moved here. Anyhoo, my point is that if you move near an airport, and she clearly states that she knew it was an airport when she moved there, then she should not complain about airplane noise. She ran the risk of any number of things happening:

- Airport grows in popularity
- Airport starts 24 hour operations
- Airport re-routes arrivals and departures

She also had the good risk that Boeing would go under and there would be no airplane noise. Or, that Boeing would move its manufacturing to Chicago too, and there would be less airplane noise.

When you live near the airport you will have airplane noise. To complain about it at all, is stupid--and yes, a defective mental condition.  drunk 

If she had bought a nice country parcel outside of Denver, then they built a giant airport beside her, that is a different issue.
Keep on truckin'...

707lvr

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:43 pm

Just so y'all know, noise complaints from Georgetown are irrelevant. Look where it is, for pete's sake. It's like standing on the numbers and complaining, "We weren't told!"

The real battles and dirty tricks in this case are behind the scenes and we will never learn about them. It's all turf, personal and corporate, with far too many government entities involved.

Also, there is no rule prohibiting commercial traffic at BFI. In fact, it has limited service at present and a very spiffy little terminal.

I started on this issue completely neutral and a lifelong Alaska Air customer. But, the misinformation campaign bothered me. If it was happening anywhere else, there would be a sensible and open debate and likely the community would appreciate the business expansion and greater choice. But this is Seattle, and the idea of (ugh) Southwest flying out of BFI all day and night is about as appealing as reopening the old urinal cake factory.

Shenzhen

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:47 pm

Quoting 707lvr (Reply 45):
Just so y'all know, noise complaints from Georgetown are irrelevant. Look where it is, for pete's sake. It's like standing on the numbers and complaining, "We weren't told!"

Property values in Geogetown are also pretty low, so their voice won't be all the loud when they start screaming. Altought I do like to have a beer at the sportsman bar every so often when I'm in town.

Cheers

kbfispotter

Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:23 pm

From the article:

OK, lets see here... How many older biz jets fly into BFI each day? too many to count. And then how many of those are flying with their original engines? Again, too many to count. I Service Lears and G-IIs all the time, and they are much noisier than the 737s that are just across the field.

Example: a few weeks ago, we had a Lear 25 (with Turbojets) and a BBJ2 on our ramp at the same time. I was marshelling the BBJ out when the Lear started up. Even with hearing protection, the noise of the Lear outdroned teh noise of the 737.

And these people are just now complaining about noise? Come on, get over it. If someone does not like the noise, MOVE. They knew what was nearby when they purchased the property. I do not feel sorry for them.

KBFIspotter
Proud to be an A&P!!!

JFKviaPHX

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:09 pm

Maybe NW will bring their DC-9 in a few times of the day. Then they can hear what a loud aircraft sound like. The 737NG are a whisper compared to them. Now the 732's are another story. They are extremely loud. I always knew when I was late to work because the 2pm Delta from PHX to SLC would take-off. I was usually behind it in the old employee parking lot in PHX. That was loud.

There is nothing wrong with a little noise from the airport at night. As mentioned earlier, I live in Rockaway near JFK. Right now there is no over head traffic, but when they use 31 or 22 we get it. 22 is the loudest since it's a direct shot over the house. However I doesn't bother me or just about anyone else around here. After 9-11 and AA587 people were very nervous due to the traumatic experiences.

RayChuang

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:49 pm

Quoting ASMD80 (Reply 13):
Oh, and WN should instead look into Stage IV hushkits for all their 737's, but people will still b***h about it.

You've GOT to be kidding with that remark. Isn't the 737-700 already ICAO Stage IV compliant when it comes to engine noise?