FoxBravo
Topic Author

NY Times: AA To Fly To Africa (oops!)

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:02 am

This is priceless:

"AFRICAN FLIGHT Reflecting increasing business travel to Africa, especially in the oil and gas industries, American Airlines, a unit of the AMR Corporation, said yesterday that it planned to fly between Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and Guanacaste, Liberia, starting Feb. 3. The flights to Guanacaste will be on Wednesday and Saturday and the return flights on Thursday and Sunday."

Don't believe me? Look online at http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/23/business/23memo.html (scroll down to the bottom) or, if you have the print edition, on page C8. Not the first time someone has confused the two Liberias, but pretty funny coming from the Times!

Smile
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Venezuela747

RE: NY Times: AA To Fly To Africa (oops!)

Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:59 am

Already wrote to them telling them they made a mistake
ROLL TIDE!!!

matt

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:02 am

I did the same. You would think that a travel/business reporter would have heard of the city of Liberia and the region of Guancanaste in Costa Rica...
Next flights: YQM-YOW-YOW / YQM-YYZ-CPH-YYZ-YQM / YQM-YUL-LYS-BRU-YUL-YQM / YQM-PUJ-YQM

USAFHummer

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:08 am

Surprising...I've found that Sharkey is usually pretty good with accuracy, but this is a pretty severe error...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

SHUPirate1

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:14 am

I'd hate to be on that 737-800 going from DFW to ROB (Monrovia, Liberia, Africa)...at 5038 nautical miles, that plane wouldn't make it without some auxilliary fuel tanks...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

hz747300

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:35 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 4):
I'd hate to be on that 737-800 going from DFW to ROB (Monrovia, Liberia, Africa)...at 5038 nautical miles, that plane wouldn't make it without some auxilliary fuel tanks...

"Sorry folks, we're gonna have to ask some of you to jump off the plane so we can make it all the way. Don't be selfish, otherwise we all will die."
Keep on truckin'...

brokenrecord

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:52 am

That is too funny!!!!!! Somebody will be fired I'm sure.

planenutz

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:36 am

Anybody get a response from the NY Times yet?
Not all who wander are lost....

Venezuela747

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:56 am

Seriously though...the reporter seems to be the main guy when talking about aviation on the NYT, I am sure he knew the aircraft was going to be a B737......enough said....plus is there really a market to Liberia Africa?
ROLL TIDE!!!

robsch

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:32 am

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 9):
plus is there really a market to Liberia Africa?

Simple answer: no. Most of the businessmen fled the country during the civil war.

From Lonely Planet:
With the country recovering from years of savage civil war, travel to Liberia still poses more personal safety risks than it's worth.

The mess that is Liberia's civil war seems to be on the mend but the country is still no place to go for a beach holiday. There is sporadic looting as well as bursts of shooting in pockets of the country, including Monrovia. The future for the troubled West African country is uncertain, and its security situation remains volatile.

-Rob

travelin man

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:46 am

Wow. That is really sloppy reporting. Especially since you could probably get the details WHERE Liberia, Costa Rica was from an AA press release. I thought the NY Times had better editing since that whole Glass fiasco.

incitatus

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:27 am

I'm not surprised. People in Manhattan don't even know where Connecticut is. How the heck would they know there is a place called Liberia in Costa Rica?
Stop pop up ads

FoxBravo
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:43 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 12):
People in Manhattan don't even know where Connecticut is. How the heck would they know there is a place called Liberia in Costa Rica?

Hey, no fair...I live in Manhattan and I'm the one who noticed this!

But tell me where is this place called "Connecticut"...?  Smile

BostonGuy

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:21 am

Quoting Brokenrecord (Reply 6):
That is too funny!!!!!! Somebody will be fired I'm sure.

Fired? At the New York Times? Surely you jest?!?!

New York Times reporters have quite a reputation for doing far worse... and having their bosses cover for them.

Rather than emailing the reporter you should send a note to Public Editorfor the New York Times. That'll get the reporter into gear.

Anyone notice, too, the beginning?

"Reflecting increasing business travel to Africa, especially in the oil and gas industries, American Airlines, a unit of the AMR Corporation, said yesterday..."

Ummm... not only does he not have a clue about the difference between Latin America and Africa, he also has no clue that there's no oil or gas in Liberia. Or Costa Rica. This guy is making stuff up on the fly!

From the American Airlines press release: "Guanacaste is a natural gateway to northern Pacific beaches and fishing, as well as nearby resorts and national parks."

Yuppers. Oil, that is. Black gold. Texas tea.

This actually fits in quite well with the Times' track record. It's understandable to get mixed-up when the press release called it "Guanacaste, Liberia in Costa Rica". But to then ignore the description of Guanacaste in that same press release and create one for a different continent (and still get it wrong!) is pretty enlightening about this reporter's interest in giving accurate information.

Let the Public Editor know about this (his email is at the bottom right on the linked page).

[Edited 2005-08-24 04:29:34]

[Edited 2005-08-24 04:47:29]

[Edited 2005-08-24 04:48:16]

Starlionblue

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:33 am

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 13):
People in Manhattan don't even know where Connecticut is. How the heck would they know there is a place called Liberia in Costa Rica?

Hey, no fair...I live in Manhattan and I'm the one who noticed this!

But tell me where is this place called "Connecticut"...?

Where the tall houses stop and the greenery starts. You can even take a transportation device called a "train" to get there from where you are Big grin

- a Connecticut resident
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

BostonGuy

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:55 am

Quoting Robsch (Reply 10):
The mess that is Liberia's civil war seems to be on the mend but the country is still no place to go for a beach holiday. There is sporadic looting as well as bursts of shooting in pockets of the country, including Monrovia. The future for the troubled West African country is uncertain, and its security situation remains volatile.

Do you think JetBlue will want to compete with American Airlines on this route?

FoxBravo
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:01 pm

Quoting FoxBravo (Thread starter):
You can even take a transportation device called a "train" to get there from where you are

Ah yes, I think I've read about those. Sort of like subways, but with more seats, right?  Big grin

ikramerica

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:02 pm

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 13):
But tell me where is this place called "Connecticut"...?  

It's where you keep your polo ponies.

As for the Times, I gave up on them long ago. They don't check facts anymore, but the worst part is that anyone can quote the Times as a respected news source and never be questioned on accuracy or slant of the underlying article.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

BostonGuy

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:18 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 18):
As for the Times, I gave up on them long ago. They don't check facts anymore, but the worst part is that anyone can quote the Times as a respected news source and never be questioned on accuracy or slant of the underlying article.

I know! Everyone other than the Times starts articles with "It was reported in the New York Times that...".

It was a seemingly simple error yet the press release from American Airlines was about making it easier for leisure travelers to get to Caribbean and Latin American resorts, not African oil wells.

Maybe the Times will print a correction:

"In yesterday's New York Times there was a typographical error in the Business Section article 'African Flight'. The following which appeared in the article, 'Reflecting increasing business travel to Africa, especially in the oil and gas industries, American Airlines, a unit of the AMR Corporation, said yesterday that it planned to fly between Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and Guanacaste, Liberia, starting Feb. 3', should have been titled 'Central American Flight' and read,

'Reflecting increasing leisure travel to Central America, especially for those interested in beach resorts and national parks, American Airlines, a unit of the AMR Corporation, said yesterday that it planned to fly between Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and Guanacaste, Costa Rica'.

'The Times regrets the typo'''.

[Edited 2005-08-24 05:20:41]

TrappedinMKG

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:29 pm

Typo my ass...

A typo would be spelling "Jonathon" as "Jonathan." This is a flagrant goof from someone who didn't read their press release carefully...

SHUPirate1

Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:08 pm

From http://www.nytimes.com/ref/pageoneplus/corrections.html

"A report in the Memo Pad column in the Itineraries pages of Business Day yesterday about an international route planned by American Airlines misstated one destination. The route is between Dallas-Fort Worth and Liberia, Costa Rica, not the African country Liberia."

Well, gee, that's a copout...you didn't just misstate the destination, you also misstated the entire premise of the flight? Is there any oil in the entire country of Costa Rica?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

BostonGuy

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:42 pm

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 21):
(From today's New York Times) "A report in the Memo Pad column in the Itineraries pages of Business Day yesterday about an international route planned by American Airlines misstated one destination. The route is between Dallas-Fort Worth and Liberia, Costa Rica, not the African country Liberia."

I gather the reporter provided the much needed correction to those who print the corrections before the Public Editor has had a chance to say to him "Do tell... our readers understand the mix-up with Liberia, Costa Rica and Libera, the country in Africa. But, how did you come up with the airline targeting business travelers in the oil industry with nonstop service to a destination resort?".

Junction

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:56 pm

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 21):
From http://www.nytimes.com/ref/pageonepl....html

For Heaven's sake! If the NY Times has this many errors each week, we may as well all start reading the Enquirer only for it's entertainment value and be done with it. Some of the other mistakes are even more inexcusable, like misspelling U.S. place names (Eagan, MN). My respect for the media has become all but non-existent.

Skyguy

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:22 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 18):

I totally agree, that is so true. What was more intriguing was not so much that he got his geography screwed up but that he reverse-engineered a logic as to why AA would fly to Africa, that there is oil & gas there and so that is a good reason for AA to service the route. Its depairing to note that what at one time was the epitomy of austere and realiable reporting is now this.

In my humber opinion, the only newpaper that tells the truth consistently and as objectively as it can is The Financial Times.
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

VirginA340

Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:19 am

I'm not surprised. People in Manhattan don't even know where Connecticut is. How the heck would they know there is a place called Liberia in Costa Rica?

Having not been born and raised in NYC, I noticed something when I came here... Not only do people not know from places outside of NY, but they most likely don't care to know.

No offense to native NYers and for being slightly off-topic.

Jeremy
"FUIMUS"

BostonGuy

Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:49 am

Quoting VirginA340 (Reply 25):
Having not been born and raised in NYC, I noticed something when I came here... Not only do people not know from places outside of NY, but they most likely don't care to know.

Having lived in Manhattan for a number of years it took some getting used to in hearing people describe where other cities were located striclty in terms of time... that is, how long it took to get there. And there was no differentiation in whether the time it took to get to one place was via car and the time it took to get to another was by air.

This style of reference to location strictly in terms of how long it took to get there tended to give the impression that New Yorkers considered The Hamptons (eastern Long Island) to be the same distance from Manhattan as Disney World. Both were two hours away. The Hamptons were two hours away by car, Orlando was two hours away by plane.

A New Yorker would have a very difficult time describing how much further, in miles, Orlando is from Manhattan compared to The Hamptons.

I've also lived in Southern California, and people there also describe distances by refering to travel time and not miles, but they do seem to have a grasp on the actual mileage between 2 points.

RogerThat

Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:48 am

Quoting Dennis Miller: "I've given up on reading the NY Times....I get more accurate information in the AutoTrader."

pmg1704

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:36 am

Oh please, let he who is without sin...

Sharkey does good work, and the NYTimes is the last decent independent news voice that isn't controlled by a corporate conglomerate. Besides The Onion that is.

By the way, for all New Yorkers, the rest of the world looks like this (at least facing west)

BostonGuy

Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:05 am

Quoting Pmg1704 (Reply 28):
Oh please, let he who is without sin...

Sharkey does good work, and the NYTimes is the last decent independent news voice that isn't controlled by a corporate conglomerate.

I'm sure Sharkey has done good work.

But the New York Times has itself admitted recently that relatively recent transgressions by reporters were so grevious, and so misleading to readers, that readers themselves need to hold the Times accountable to a much higher standard and that the Times now has policies in place that require reporters to to be accountable for the "facts" that they put in their articles.

What's wrong with expecting the Times to fulfill its promise to its readers? How did Sharkey come up with American commencing nonstop service to Costa Rica due to increasing travel to Africa due to oil and gas development?

And what's inherently wrong about a news conglomerate? What's bad about, say, a media company with billions of revenues, 18 daily newspapers under its corporate umbrella, eight network-affiliated television stations in the nation, two radio stations in one major U.S. city, and approximately 35 news Web sites?

Junction

Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:55 am

Quoting Pmg1704 (Reply 28):
Sharkey does good work

He didn’t even read the AA press release. Then he made up a bunch of stuff about Africa and AA starting to fly there. That’s absolutely rotten work, and there is no excuse. Who knows what else he might have wrong on other topics?