uncgso

Why No GSO-CLE On CO?

Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:37 am

Just wondering why there are no GSO-CLE flights on CO? It seems most airlines serving GSO fly non-stop to their main hubs (except for AA to ORD and DL to SLC to name a couple)...I remember when CO Express got their new ERJ's that GSO was one of the 1st cities to get the new RJ....Flights to CLE were dropped after 9/11 but never returned...Why? Any insight would be nice.

727LOVER

RE: Why No GSO-CLE On CO?

Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:47 am

Considering GSO, very briefly, used to be VERY important to CO, you'd think they'd maintain a decent presence there, like AA has in BNA and RDU.
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

ejmmsu

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:31 am

I recently moved to the Piedmont Triad, and I continue to hope that CO will offer CLE flights. It is the easiest and most convenient midwest hub IMO. For the skyteamers like me, there is still DTW and CVG.

GSO-PIT used to be flown by US props. CLE and PIT are pretty close. Maybe commutair could run a few B1900's a day.

Another city I'd like to see get CLE service is OKC
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

ncflyer

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:50 am

because CLE gets the crumbs of CO, that's why. To think I was all excited when CO signed their 10 year lease. There's been no new major service in years, certainly not since 9/11 and us Clevelanders get excited over a new once a week summer only flight to ABQ of all things. Everything tried, such as BHM and XNA, is withdrawn. IMHO the airport is so underserved. You know your in trouble when a devoted CO fan such as myself took a recent trip out of CAK because Airtran had a more convenient schedule.

717-200

Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:58 pm

Quoting Ncflyer (Reply 3):
You know your in trouble when a devoted CO fan such as myself took a recent trip out of CAK because Airtran had a more convenient schedule.

Yes. Except when ATL has those pesky flow control and ground stop issues
caused by thunderstorms and low vis(one cloud in the sky over ATL). Oh
well AirTran had a better on-time performance than AS (#19 out of 20).

But back to topic at hand I do remember flying GSO-CLE back in '00-01
on ATR-42's and EMB-120's when CoEx still had turboprops.
72S 733 734 735 73G 738 742 752 763 E190 M82 M83

uncgso

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:46 pm

Quoting 717-200 (Reply 4):
But back to topic at hand I do remember flying GSO-CLE back in '00-01
on ATR-42's and EMB-120's when CoEx still had turboprops.

Thats right....I had forgotten about the ATR's...I remember after the AA Eagle ATR crash at Roselawn, IN (due to ice on the wings) that the CO Express ATR's were relegated to the GSO hub during the winter months flying to PHL and BWI amongst others....

joeman

Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:22 pm

because CLE gets the crumbs of CO, that's why

THAT IS BOTH TRUE AND AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!! Check the CO website for news releases in 2005 alone. There are new nonstop service announcements from EWR and IAH nearly weekly while the CLE "hub" stagnates and silently deteriorates as you pointed out. CO will have a terrific excuse to close this "hub" in the future whether on its own or through future merger thanks to the never ending neglect.

joeman

Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:30 pm

Quoting Joeman (Reply 6):
CO will have a terrific excuse to close this "hub" in the future whether on its own or through future merger thanks to the never ending neglect.

For the sake of IAH and EWR that is... Yes it is all about prestige and the divine yield these days despite high load factors and the stupid fare structures. Spare me any LCC info, peanut brains understand...

masseybrown

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:35 pm

I agree that CO treats CLE like the red-headed stepchild, but in this case the fact is CLE-GSO O&D is only about 25 pax a day for Q4/04. How much service do you expect for 25 pax a day?

Since PIT-GSO was cancelled, maybe they could snag enough connecting traffic to support 2 B1900s a day for CLE-GSO; but I haven't seen CO attempt to take any advantage of the shrinkage going on in PIT.

GQfluffy

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:37 pm

I went to school at UNCG a few years ago. Just flew in and out of there a couple of months ago to see some friends in the area. Even though it was just a few years ago that I lived in Greensboro, GSO is a shadow of its former self. Rather sad. I prefered GSO over RDU any day...

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

uncgso

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:52 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 9):
Even though it was just a few years ago that I lived in Greensboro, GSO is a shadow of its former self. Rather sad.

well GSO is back to around 100 flights a day...which is not too far under what it was before 9/11...of course since then, FL abandoned us for CLT haha and we never regained MQ to ORD and LGA....9N dropped PIT and S5 has been long gone...but DH and OH have picked up some of the slack thankfully....Hopefully when Delta moves to the newly expanded North Concourse this fall AA or US/HP will expand some....would be nice to see B6 here too....although im sure they'll go to RDU like everybody else...ho hum...of course will never forget the "glory" days of the CO hub in the mid 90's.... Wink

joeman

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:27 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 8):
Since PIT-GSO was cancelled, maybe they could snag enough connecting traffic to support 2 B1900s a day for CLE-GSO; but I haven't seen CO attempt to take any advantage of the shrinkage going on in PIT.

CO is letting DL/CVG and NW/DTW handle any potential new volume which sums up their CLE operation completely.