Vio
Topic Author

Kenn Borek Air - How Do They Fly To Antarctica?

Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:03 am

How does Kenn Borek Air of Calgary fly to Antarctica? Through Chile or Argentina? I read that USAF flies from New Zealand, and it's like an 8 hour flight on a C130.

What's the shortest distance from a main continent to the Antarctic? Are there any small islands along the way that a small aircraft like a Twin Otter or even smaller can stop and re-fuel? (or do the Twin Otters fly non stop?)..

Thanks for your help

Vio
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

FoxBravo

RE: Kenn Borek Air - How Do They Fly To Antarctica?

Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:15 am

They go down through South America, and hop across from Punta Arenas, Chile (with lots of ferry tanks I'm sure!). Here is an interesting article about the operation: http://www.polar.org/antsun/oldissue...000-2001/2000_1112/twinotters.html
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Vio
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:11 am

Cool thanks Fox Bravo. Good little article  Smile

Kenn Borek Air is awesome. I drive by their HQs almost every day.  Smile
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

ACYWG

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:35 am

Kenn Borek Air twin otters depart YYC and fly south through the US and on down through chile to Punta Arenas. From there, they fuel up (all seats are removed and large fuel bladders are placed in the cabin, and they wait for a good weather day. from there they fly across the strait to an ice strip on antarctica and refuel again then make the 6 hr trek inwards to the field stations. Thats from what i gathered from a pilot or two when I worked at Borek last year.