aircanada333

World Busiest International Airport

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:05 pm

Hy everyone I was checking for a list of world busiest airport 2004 but I didn't find anything. I was just wondering if someone could make a list of world best airport.

Thanks
 Smile
De-icing RULZ!!!

NASOCEANA

RE: World Busiest International Airport

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:09 pm

I think its London's Heathrow. Not sure the number of daily takeoff and landings.
B777 greatest Airliner ever built!

aircanada333

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:12 pm

I heard it was Atlanta or Chicago in case of traffic but I'm not sure please correct me if I'm wrong.
De-icing RULZ!!!

Maersk737

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:18 pm

Most Passengers in 2004:

Mio = millions

1. Atlanta (83 mio.)
2. Chicago (76 mio.)
3. London/Heatrow (67 mio.)
4. Tokyo/Haneda (62 mio.)
5. Los Angeles (61 mio.)
6. Dallas/Ft. Worth (59 mio.)
7. Paris/Charles de Gaulle (51 mio.)
8. Frankfurt (51 mio.)
9. Amsterdam (43 mio.)
10. Denver (42 mio.)

International passengers 2004

1. London/Heathrow (60 mio.)
2. Paris/Charles de Gaulle (46 mio.)
3. Frankfurt (43 mio.)
4. Amsterdam (42 mio.)
5. Hongkong (36 mio.)
6. Singapore (29 mio.)
7. London/Gatwick (27 mio.)
8. Tokyo/Narita (27 mio.)
9. Bangkok (26 mio.)
10. Seoul (24 mio.)

Cheers

Peter

[Edited 2005-08-26 08:19:40]
I'm not proud to be a Viking, just thankfull

NASOCEANA

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:21 pm

Sorry I stand corrected! The world's busiest airport by passenger volume:

1. ATL - 83,573,908 passengers in 2004
2. ORD - 75,373,888
3. LHR - 67,343,960
4. HND - 62,320,968
5. LAX - 60,710,830

the other top 30 can be found here:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004547.html

aircanada333

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:28 pm

Thanks for all the info.
De-icing RULZ!!!

NASOCEANA

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:29 pm

ATL has 2,400 daily departures and arrivals.

aircanada333

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:37 pm

YUL my home airport it is about 250 daily departures and landings.
 Sad
De-icing RULZ!!!

N1120A

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:41 pm

Quoting Aircanada333 (Reply 7):

Including GA and even after the closute of Mirabel to commercial passenger traffic? I doubt YUL is that low.

[Edited 2005-08-26 08:42:08]
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

aircanada333

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:44 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
Including GA and even after the closute of Mirabel to commercial passenger traffic? I doubt YUL is that low.

No jokes folks just go on www.admtl.com to see.

Wink
De-icing RULZ!!!

Glareskin

Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:05 pm

Looking at the figures that Maersk737 posted I conclude that less than a third of the ATL and ORD flights is international. Very interesting indeed..

Especially in Chicago I would have expected that Midway is more taking care of the national flights.
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

PM

Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:34 pm

"Biggest"? "Busiest"?

These terms are very slippery and must always be defined in terms of criteria used.

LHR often promotes itself as "The World's busiest/biggest international airport." It probably is. But a flight from LHR to CDG or AMS is "international" whereas a flight from JFK to ORD isn't. Is the distinction terribly meaningful?

The numbers of passengers shifted (see some of the replies above) is quite a valid comparison but so would be the number of movements and the two need not correlate. An airport like Hong Kong would have a greater proportion of widebody movements than, say, Charlotte. Both would shift a lot of people but one would record far more movements than the other.

I guess you could even measure and compare airports in terms of revenue. Another way might be the average price paid for a departing ticket!

I may be imagining this but don't I recall that in the mid-1990s USAir made more daily take offs and landings than any other airline? Did that make it the World's busiest airline?

As I say, terms need to be defined very precisely.

YULMRS

Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:51 pm

What's YUL's passenger volume ?
To any North American carrier, send us a regular flight in MRS !!!!!

afterburner

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:22 pm

From reply #3, the airport with most passengers is Atlanta. But how many from its 83 million passengers are international ones? (whereas almost 90% of LHR's passengers are international passengers)

Glareskin

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:16 pm

Quoting Afterburner (Reply 13):
But how many from its 83 million passengers are international ones?

According to these lists less than 24 million...  Wink

vlada

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:24 pm

From reply #3, the airport with most passengers is Atlanta. But how many from its 83 million passengers are international ones? (whereas almost 90% of LHR's passengers are international passengers)

Hi,

The question asked in post #1 is not the same as the threads name.
Do we look for:

a) the busiest international airport (and does this mean the one with the most international pax and/or movements)

or

b)the busiest airport (the one with the most pax and/or movements)

Also, something crossed my mind: Londoners could say, for instance, why not include Gatwick, Luton, City and Stansted also into the London stats? That way, I think they have more than 100 mio. of pax per year, much of them international.

Regards,
Vlada

Glareskin

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:28 pm

But how many from its 83 million passengers are international ones?

According to these lists less than 24 million...  Wink

Glareskin

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:33 pm

Quoting Glareskin (Reply 16):
I think they have more than 100 mio.

I think I have read in a previous thread that they have over 125M !!
In that case numbers 2 and three would probably be New York and Tokyo..

Arniepie

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:33 pm

How would the numbers be if you would say intercontinental traffic iso international?
I don't think you can compare the Netherlands (Schiphol) with ,lets say, JFK and conclude that AMS has more real international traffic as most of it is inside the EU.

My guess would be Narita as being the bussiest intercontinental traffic airport, anybody else have some better numbers?
[edit post]

Glareskin

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:38 pm

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 18):
My guess would be Narita as being the bussiest intercontinental traffic airport

Why do you think so? Japan isn't a continent on itself!

AirNZ

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:00 pm

Quoting PM (Reply 11)
"I guess you could even measure and compare airports in terms of revenue. Another way might be the average price paid for a departing ticket!"

Hmm! quite a unique, and interesting, suggestion but in my opinion largely unworkable because how could you possibly correlate/measure it, or relate it to the numerous (almost infinite) variables involved......e.g the average ticket price to exactly where in the world, on which airline, in which class or indeed in which season?

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 18)
"How would the numbers be if you would say intercontinental traffic iso international?
I don't think you can compare the Netherlands (Schiphol) with ,lets say, JFK and conclude that AMS has more real international traffic as most of it is inside the EU.

My guess would be Narita as being the bussiest intercontinental traffic airport, anybody else have some better numbers?"

That suggestion surprises me and, whilst I certainly may be wrong, I would have imagined off-hand that LHR would far outnumber NRT in terms of intercontinental traffic.
However, irrespective of whether traffic is within the EU or not, it is still international so that is an entirely moot point.....by the same token would you describle traffic between Canada/US/Mexico as domestic???

But it's always an interesting debate as to what constitutes the world's 'busiest' airport. If that question is taken literally then surely it doesn't matter whether it's domestic or international traffic.
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

geoffm

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:11 pm

Another way of answering the question is: how many of the flights are international compared to domestic? If you take somewhere like Singapore, that value would be 100% international to 0% domestic.

Geoff M.

Olympus69

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:02 am

YUL my home airport it is about 250 daily departures and landings

I counted about that many departures alone, so that would make 500 arrivals and departures. I suspect that the figure for ATL is for ALL movements, so you would have to add in all the cargo and GA flights.

aircanada333

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:09 am

Quoting YULMRS (Reply 12):
What's YUL's passenger volume ?

11 millions
De-icing RULZ!!!

Arniepie

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:35 am

Quoting Glareskin (Reply 19):
Why do you think so? Japan isn't a continent on itself!

Quoting AirNZ (Reply 20):
That suggestion surprises me and, whilst I certainly may be wrong, I would have imagined off-hand that LHR would far outnumber NRT in terms of intercontinental traffic.
However, irrespective of whether traffic is within the EU or not, it is still international so that is an entirely moot point.....by the same token would you describle traffic between Canada/US/Mexico as domestic???

I know Japan isn't a continent in itself but the way airports are used in the Tokyo area it could very well be true to say that Narita is one of the ,maybe the , bussiests airports for long haul intercontinental traffic.
I suspect LAX and JFK can also be good candidates to take first place.

I do consider Canada and the US as 1 market, also the EU can be considered as 1 market (Shengen) as can be the Middle East region, the former CIS, South East Asia, Australasia, South America,... .
[edit post]

Glareskin

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:44 am

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 24):
Narita is one of the ,maybe the , bussiests airports for long haul intercontinental traffic

Ofcourse this could be true, but it is unlikely. According to the lists in reply 3 London Heathrow has 60M international flights. Suppose half of them are within Europe (which is far more than I expect from LHR only) they still have 30M intercontinental pax. This is more than all Narita international pax (27M)which include pax to other Asian destinations....  wink 

spacecadet

Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:31 am

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 24):
I know Japan isn't a continent in itself but the way airports are used in the Tokyo area it could very well be true to say that Narita is one of the ,maybe the , bussiests airports for long haul intercontinental traffic.

Most of Narita's international traffic goes to other Asian nations. This is continental traffic, even though it is international. So I don't see how Narita would have the most intercontinental traffic.

Narita is a big airport but it's limited by its runways. It only has one runway suitable for takeoffs and landings by the largest airliners, so it's slot-limited for that reason. And while I'm not sure of this, I would bet that a lot of Tokyo residents avoid Narita altogether and just fly out of Haneda, connecting somewhere else for their international flights. Narita is probably the least convenient airport in the world while Haneda is one of the most convenient. I mean Narita is not even called "New Tokyo International Airport" anymore - it's just "Narita International Airport". They gave in and finally realized it just doesn't really serve the city of Tokyo itself very well - it serves Narita and its surrounding area, which on the far edge includes Tokyo.

So I can understand why it only serves 31 million pax per year while Haneda serves 67 million or whatever. Even though airlines have trouble getting more slots at Narita (which implies that it's a really busy airport), it's just because of the runway situation - it's not really as busy as you'd think. (Sometimes it can seem like it is at certain times of day, but it also only really has two big terminals.)

My guess for the most intercontinental traffic would still probably be LHR, which gets lots of passengers from North America, Asia and the middle east.

[Edited 2005-08-26 19:33:09]
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Glareskin

Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:39 am

Quoting Spacecadet (Reply 26):
So I can understand why it only serves 31 million pax per year

Thanks Spacecadet for supporting my statement. But is it true that Narita has more intl. flights than Haneda?

Evan767

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:08 am

And how many times have we not discussed this before?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

spacecadet

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:09 am

Quoting Glareskin (Reply 27):
Thanks Spacecadet for supporting my statement. But is it true that Narita has more intl. flights than Haneda?

Oh yes, I didn't mean to imply otherwise if that's what I did. I meant that there are probably some Japanese who actually will fly domestically out of Haneda and then continue onward to international destinations, rather than making the trek out to Narita. Would you spend 3 hours dealing with the trip from the wrong side of Tokyo out to Narita before you even get on your flight, or would you rather just take off from Haneda (which is practically smack in the middle of Tokyo) and have a 45 minute layover somewhere else?

I don't have any real data to support this, it's just a guess. I would be curious to know if there are any stats, but it seems odd to think that 60-some million passengers would fly domestically through Haneda when the shinkansen can usually get passengers to those same destinations just as quickly (considering that most people live closer to a train station than to Haneda airport, and that most major domestic Japanese destinations can be reached within a few hours by shinkansen). It's not as if nobody rides the shinkansen either; they are always packed and they operate with much greater frequency than airplanes in Japan.

So I think people must be using Haneda for international destinations even though it is primarily (maybe completely?) a domestic airport. It would be like flying from LaGuardia to Chicago and then continuing on to Vancouver. People do actually do things like that (though not as many in NYC, because JFK is not quite so far out as Narita is, and plus in NYC there's EWR if you're on the other side of the city).

Anyway it's really not material to the main point of the thread because Haneda obviously has very few (or no) direct international flights, except maybe by way of partially explaining why Narita has seemingly so few passengers considering that it's one of only two "Tokyo" airports.

And how many times have we not discussed this before?

I would say there are probably 100 other threads on the homepage right now in which we have not discussed it  Smile

[Edited 2005-08-26 21:10:19]
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Delta717

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:20 am

It's definitely Key West International (KEYW/EYW).

irelayer

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:59 am

Quoting Glareskin (Reply 10):
Especially in Chicago I would have expected that Midway is more taking care of the national flights.

Not true. While Midway is closer to downtown Chicago, it is severly space limited, and it only has two runways, and short one's at that. It is kind of like SAN in that respect. Midway is used mostly by LCC's (WN and TZ are HUGE there), regular charters, and high-demand shuttle flights (MDW-MKE, MDW-MSP, MDW-DTW). Also, Midway is not in the best part of town (Cicero), nor is it that much more convinient to get to and from than ORD is. Actually ORD is located about 15-20 minutes on the Eisenhower expressway from the loop (a straight shot from the Sears Tower to ORD) w/out traffic. MDW is about the same. From the Western suburbs (Naperville, Oak Brook, etc...) ORD is closer (about 15 minutes). Oak Brook is where McDonald's world headquarters is, and a major GE office space, and I believe AT&T and some others...and the surrounding area has A LOT of businesses that involve heavy travel (Boeing would be a prime example). Plus ORD has an on-airport hotel (the O'Hare Hilton), great parking, and (surprisingly) is better connected to smaller airports in the Plains States (Iowa, Missouri, southern Illinois, Kentuky, the Dakotas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Wyoming, etc etc...) than MDW is. Hope that explains it.

As far as number of movements, I believe ORD and ATL have been trading places on a year-by-year basis for the past 10 years, due to the number of AX and UX regionals, but I believe in total passengers ATL has been in the lead for quite some time now. As far as international flights...New York is the #1 entry point on the east coast, and SFO/LAX on the west coast. Chicago is inland, so the international traffic tends to be mostly O/D rather than connecting. And as a percentage of the total, it is quite small. Also it is mostly A332's, A343's, 767's, with a few larger planes mixed in there.

You have to remember the US is a huge place, and Chicago is right smack dab between the coasts. ORD is a super-hub for the #1 and #2 US airlines, and they go EVERYWHERE from ORD. It is also the hub for the nation's railway system, as well as a hub for trucking and regional shipping.

Point: ORD handles a massive amount of domestic traffic.

-IR

[Edited 2005-08-26 23:10:40]

[Edited 2005-08-26 23:11:06]

HJAIA

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:15 am

For 2004, ATL did 83,606,583 passengers. This is domestic and international numbers.
ATL has moved 43,486,384 passengers from Jan. to June 2005. Once again, ATL is on track to be the busiest passenger airport in the world.

irishmd11

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:21 am

A story was told some years ago, that a quarter of the world's 747 aircraft fleet could be seen in LHR in a given timespace of 24 hours...

Impressive, no????

How true, and is it still true?

Gerry.
ATR 72,Avro 85,BAC 1-11,Concorde,Trident,BAE146,BN Islander,707,727,737,741,743,744757,767,772,773,DC-9,DC-10,MD-11,MD-8

pac

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:53 am

this Site has monthly updates.....

http://www.aci.aero

cheers pac

art

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:23 am

In terms of aircraft movements I suspect London Heathrow is the world's busiest international airport.

2004 figures from BAA site:

Air transport movements per year: 469,560

Passengers per year: 67.7 million

Link to page showing above data was 6 lines long, so basic link to BAA included instead:

http://www.baa.co.uk

Spark

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:40 am

From what I've read, and countless hours looking at flight schedules, and Heathrow has more intercontinental airport than either JFK, or NRT. Heathrow has more flights just to the cities in North America than most of the other large international airports have in total international flights.

ER757

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:36 am

Quoting IRelayer (Reply 31):
ORD is located about 15-20 minutes on the Eisenhower expressway from the loop

Not unless the Eisenhower has been re-routed! YOu can take it west from the loop but to get to ORD you have to either get off at Manneheim Rd and go North or take the tollway (I-294).

art

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:51 am

Oops.. further to my post 35 suggesting Heathrow had the greatest number of movements, I see Atlanta goes way past:

Aircraft movements 2004: 915,454

http://www.azworldairports.com/cfm/f...airports.com/airports/p2740mco.htm

Philaboy

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:30 am

the worlds best? well you know thats up for debate based on what criterium one follows.

I would say for me, the criteria would include accessibility, comfort, space, cleanliness, connection reliability and convenience and last of all crowds.

1. Los Angeles (LAX)
2. New York (JFK) - some terminals could use some updating
3. Tampa (TPA)
4. Osaka Kansai (KIX)
5. Hong Kong (HKG)
6. Brisbane (BNE)
7. Denver (DEN)
8. Paris (CDG)
9. Miami (MIA)
10. Singapore (SIN)

coewr777

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:40 am

Well

EWR has 536 daily departures
Lga has like 500 daily departures
Jfk has 350 or something like that daily departures

Glareskin

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:10 pm

Quoting Philaboy (Reply 39):
the worlds best?

Either you didn't fly alot around the world or this list must be the world's worst! (exept for a few)

wdleiser

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:19 pm

I think of it this way, Atlanta is the worlds busiest domestic airport. It has more domestic flights than any other airport. LHR has the most internation/long haul flights than any other airport in the world

irelayer

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:32 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 37):
Not unless the Eisenhower has been re-routed! YOu can take it west from the loop but to get to ORD you have to either get off at Manneheim Rd and go North or take the tollway (I-294).

I forget all the expressway names in Chicago, its been so long. Heh. I stand corrected.

-IR