joakims

Air Disaster Books

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:42 pm

Hello

I wonder if you all out there have some tips on good books in this matter.
Have found some titles online thats from a glance seams comprehensive

Books titled Air Disaster Vol 1-4 written by Macarthur Job

Do you have any recomendations. I don´t mind they beeing technical as long as the terms gets explained in one or the other way : )

I am thinking of getting some of them on the trip to malaysia in september.
Maybe I can´t wait to read until I come home. Can´t think of better books to start reading om my flight home.

Faces of fellow passengers around  Wow!  Wow!

Joakim

ClassicLover

RE: Air Disaster Books

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:49 pm

Quoting Joakims (Thread starter):
Books titled Air Disaster Vol 1-4 written by Macarthur Job

These four books are probably the best ones out there. I have all four - they are extremely well written, quite detailed, and are illustrated with appropriate pictures and diagrams to enhance the chapters.

Strongly recommended!

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

CV990

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:55 pm

Hi!

Fully agree with ClassicLover. I also have the 4 volumes and I think these books should be a MUST for those of us that are truly aviation enthusiasts and also those that want to know some more about some amazing accidents that occurred in the past!
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

jamesvf84

Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:31 pm

I would have hoped that another volume , more recent one regarding the newer jets, anyone have any news on that?!

travatl

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:36 am

I add my recommendation of the "AirDisaster" series to those above...they really are superb. Two other books I would recommend are:

"Aircraft Safety: Accident Investigations, Analyses, & Applications" by Shari Stamford Kraus, Ph.D.

and

"Aircraft Accident Analysis: Final Reports" by James Walters and Robert Sumwah

Both are more along the line of textbook, and written from mostly analytical points of view (i.e. they lack the drama of the "AirDisaster" series), but are extremely comprehensive of the accidents they cover.

One that's kind of interesting and quick is "The Black Box" edited by Malcolm MacPherson. It's basically just a compliation of 28 CVR transcripts that could be found online, but with this they're all in one place for quick reference. Each chapter contains a short 2-3 paragraph synopsis of the accident, followed by the transcript. One thing that's lacking is the chronology of the transcript. I.e., there's no time detail for each entry.

One book to absolutely stay away from is "Air Disasters" by Leo Marriott, Stanley Stewart, and Michael Sharpe. It is RIDDLED with inaccuracies, and lacks numerous pertinent details.

Hope those help...

- Travis

N60659

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:50 am

If you can find this book, it is an excellent read:

Destination Disaster: From the Tri-Motor to the DC-10 by Eddy, Potter, and Page.

-N60659
Nec Dextrorsum Nec Sinistrorsum

PanAm747

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:59 am

In addition to the titles mentioned above (which I agree), here are two more:

"Terror In The Skies" by David Grayson, Citadel Press. An in-depth discussion (nothing on the level of MacArthur Job's books) of sixteen different incidents.

"Aviation Disasters" by David Gero, Patrick Stevens Limited. Although a large number of accidents are not included (he mentions that he is only dealing with the largest ones), the details provided on the others are concise, pithy, and well-written. It makes for a great encyclopedia.

Hopefully, his newer editions with be far between as he runs out of material to update his book.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!