liedetectors

Pax Windows On The United Express EMB170

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:58 pm

Hey sports fans!

No one replied to this in tech ops so i figure i can probably get a few responses before they pull it.....

I got a question about the pax windows on the United Express EMB170. This was my first flight on the EMB, and it was fantastic that the windows were huge and at face level, being a tall guy, i often have to hunch over to see out on CRJs and ERJs. But why were the seats about 6 inches too far forward in the cabin. I had to fully recline the seat to get into a comfortable viewing position. I know they are trying to pack as many pax in there but why the shift like that? Also i think it would have been a better use of space to replace the first class seats with an entire Y configuration.

For those who care it was a Chautauqua flight from IAD-ROC at 930pm arriving 20 min ahead of schedule.
If it was said by us, then it must be true.

HiFi

RE: Pax Windows On The United Express EMB170

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:35 am

Window position has a great influence on the fuselage's structure, as borders must be reinforced and bulkheads are designed accordingly. Changing window position is totally unviable as it would require a whole new structural analysis.

Windows are aligned with the seats, considering some standard cabin configuration, but airlines configure their cabin as they wish... If I remember correctly, United has a two-class configuration, right? That alone is enough to offset seats and break the alignment. Galley size, pitch, storage spaces (for wheelchairs or coats) might also change the alignment...
no commercial potential

gigneil

RE: Pax Windows On The United Express EMB170

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:56 am

Quoting HiFi (Reply 1):
If I remember correctly, United has a two-class configuration, right?

3... and yes it does definitely screw with the window position relative to your seat.

N