Airbus Hollers @ AirTran's Ear

Sat May 06, 2000 6:20 am

One of my clients happened to be a new AirTran FO(Another 'once in a blue moon' instance) fresh from training and he had quite a few things to say about the FL fleet:

Confirmed:
-there has been confirmation that AirTran held a phone conversation w/ the people at Airbus. This came from a memo FL employees get.
-AirTran and Boeing have not been having a good relationship ever since the 717 debut. Part of this is that AirTran must use the TWA sim @ St. Louis and they charge- excuse me, rob FL every time FL uses it. Also, Boeing's interest for marketing the 717 have focused to Asia(where there's more money; keep in mind that Boeing sold the 717's to FL at a lower price)

Unconfirmed(FO's opinion):
-AirTran is looking for a medium haul aircraft that seats exactly as much as the current 717. (Obviously this would serve routes such as the ATL-LAX nonstop)
-AirTran may order a few more* 717's from the options OR
-Airbus could purchase all of AirTran's 717 and give AirTran a good number of Airbus narrowbodies (just like Boeing purchased the A340s for the 777s to Singapore in case you didn't remember). Quite frankly I think that would be the nastiest move Airbus could do to Boeing.

*=AirTran's exercising options expiration date is coming up. They currently have 50 on options.

aa737

RE: Airbus Hollers @ AirTran's Ear

Sat May 06, 2000 6:23 am

Everything I have heard about AirTran and the 717 was good. I read from many places that they loved the planes.

D L X

RE: Airbus Hollers @ AirTran's Ear

Sat May 06, 2000 8:08 am

This sounds like posturing from Airtran to get Boeing to negotiate better fees or no fees at all from the 717 sim in STL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos