notdownnlocked

Delta To Add 30% New International Flights?

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:53 am

I had heard from some different sources that DL was planning to add 30%+ more international flights than they have now. Some of these people have been in meetings over the last few days with CEO Greinstien. We all know that many 767's(most models) and 738's will transferred over to international flights. My question is this: Some that have attended these meetings have said they were told these are routes have been applied for but cannot be named for competitive reasons, but if I have seen that once an airline applies for a specific route especially in the US it becomes public knowledge especially since one can search the government documents online. I have even been told that many of the 763's flying domestic now will retain their domestic seating arrangements but will fly internationally especially South from ATL (a/c 1701-1705) no matter what the present catering provisions are or anything else. I know of routes applied ATL-China, JFK-EZE/MEX, and have read here about ATL-ANU/MGA/various Mexican cities. Please post here what you see as the newest route authorities applied for and please document also. Example:ATL-MGA. Thanks.

Evan767

RE: Delta To Add 30% New International Flights?

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:05 am

Well, my fingers are crossed.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

chrisnh

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:13 am

It would be a shock to see that much of a rise in international flying and have Delta NOT have Boston be part of the mix. Bottom line: how telling would it be if Delta bypassed Boston right after debuting its big, new terminal there?
To be sure, I don't know of any obvious winners in terms of Boston flights--at least those that aren't already served by other carriers. But S. America is one region with very little in the way of nonstops out of Boston. Europe is practically maxed out, and don't expect Delta to try London again (that they are trying SFO and LAX again surprises me, in a 'haven't-we-seen-this-movie-before' sort of way).

In any event, with no untapped nuggets to Europe it would seem that Delta's likely foray for international flying out of Boston might well be South America. Then again, if it were such a goldmine then someone would have tried before.

And that leaves Asia. Thanks to the high-tech meltdown that hasn't really subsided, the demand for Asian flights out of Boston is nil. Gone is Korean Air, and the only other flight we 'almost had' was the nonstop MD-11 to Narita that American Airlines announced, scheduled and advertised...but never started.

Chris in NH

Avianca

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:14 am

hope they will improve the service to colombia one day (mde, clo service from atl) + jfk service from bog, (overnight flight ex jfk too bog).

regards
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

tpaewr

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:19 am

And so it begins. The majors have and will still more so turn to int'l to shield them from the tumult of the domestic market, which I think will get ever more ugly as time passes. As the LCCs struggle to place the hundreds of planes ordered in the past few years,and as RJs reach a saturation point ; You'll see more atypical behavior such as WN code sharing. More collapes and BKs.

Even Int'l will remain no harbour. Already many Latin and beach markets in the range of a narrow-body are seeing LCC beachheads. Sending the majors farther afield with their widebodies.

I think we will see the near int'l market (ie 737/320 range), the "low lying" fruit flooded shortly as well. Already much of the CRBN has seen it's yield plunge. There after as AA,CO,DL and et al send their fleets farther out, it will be the quickest and most nimble who make it. Those late to the party will find little is left.

padcrasher

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:25 am

It makes sense. Yields to Latin America and Europe are higher than Domestic. But you will most likely not see a pulling out of domestic markets all together, just a paring of frequency and gauge. Cutting Domestic ASMs by 10% would allow for a shift that large.

Ironic that what AA gained in DFW with Delta's withdrawal they just might see taken away in Latin America yields/revenue.

Now queue the AA Latinophiles that will say shift this large will "have no effect on them"....LOL

padcrasher

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:33 am

tpaewr

This is only temporary. It will not take that much to trash Intl yields as well. Delta's is not the only major to look at expanding Internationally. By the time this equilibrium is reached between Domestic and International the full service carriers will have narrowed the cost gap yet again.

padcrasher

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:40 am

YTD 2005 Yields and Yield Growth from the ATA

Domestic 11.64 (1.8)
Atlantic 10.89 5.5
Latin America 12.27 (1.6)
Asia 9.96 5.6

Zone1

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:13 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 2):
It would be a shock to see that much of a rise in international flying and have Delta NOT have Boston be part of the mix. Bottom line: how telling would it be if Delta bypassed Boston right after debuting its big, new terminal there?

I really can't see DL flying international out of BOS until Massport allows them to have a customs facility in A. Massport is a bunch of crooks and it wouldn't suprise me if there was some closed door deal making to not allow customs in A. Everyone says Massport doesn't want customs in A because they just built E, but it really doesn't make any sense. More flights = more money.

Since it seems like DL is going more after Latin America they have some gaps to fill: http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...route_maps/south_america/index.jsp

It's too bad they don't have the equipment to go after the higher yielding Asia routes. Restarting HKG would be nice. A flight to KUL to feed MH once they join SkyTeam would also be good.
/// U N I T E D

positiverate

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:14 pm

Quoting Notdownnlocked (Thread starter):
I had heard from some different sources that DL was planning to add 30%+ more international flights than they have now. Some of these people have been in meetings over the last few days with CEO Greinstien.

Who are these people please?

LH423

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:14 pm

Then again, if it were such a goldmine then someone would have tried before.

Don't be so sure. Boston-South America is definitely not a priority but I think a well-timed flight to GRU or GIG would do well. And I do think a flight may have already started if it weren't for the economic downturn the past 4-5 years. It certainly would be a coup for DL over AA who is generally perceived as the main carrier to the Caribbean/Latin America.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

padcrasher

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:25 pm

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 9):
Who are these people please?

Maybe it's the new VP of route development? The guy the brought over from Alitalia who was previously was at Continental?

worldflyer

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:42 pm

DL is actively seeking new US-Mexico authority:

CVG-SJD eff 12/3, Sat/Sun
ATL-MID eff 3/25, Sat/Sun/Mon
NYC-CZM eff 3/4, Sat
NYC-SJD eff 3/4, Sat
NYC-PVR eff 3/4, Sat
NYC-ACA eff 3/11, Sat

http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.c...m?documentid=343167&docketid=22243

rojo

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:53 pm

Quoting Notdownnlocked (Thread starter):
I know of routes applied ATL-China, JFK-EZE/MEX, and have read here about ATL-ANU/MGA/various Mexican cities. Please post here what you see as the newest route authorities applied for and please document also. Example:ATL-MGA. Thanks.

They already fly JFK-MEX and hold route authority, which hopefully they will keep. Although I am not that sure; their recent withdraw from the LAX-MEX market makes me think DL does not have a clear strategy on flights to Mexico!!! For example, they only fly B757's to MEX which sometimes is too big for certain markets...

commavia

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:38 pm

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 5):
Ironic that what AA gained in DFW with Delta's withdrawal they just might see taken away in Latin America yields/revenue.

I don't think AA really needs to worry too much.

Quoting LH423 (Reply 10):
Boston-South America is definitely not a priority but I think a well-timed flight to GRU or GIG would do well.

No way, IMO. The O&D on BOS-South America is too small, and BOS is too close to JFK.

Quoting LH423 (Reply 10):
It certainly would be a coup for DL over AA who is generally perceived as the main carrier to the Caribbean/Latin America.

Not really much of a "coup," IMO, as DL is still, even with all of its new, applied for, rumored, or proposed here on A.net routes, a drop in the bucket compared to AA in virtually every metric imaginable -- flights, routes, cities, gateways, frequencies, capacity. You name it, AA has DL beat every time.

notdownnlocked

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:46 pm

In reply to reply number 9, these are people invited from different departments within DL to attend this meeting that was held in ATL on 8/25 I believe the same day the CEO had a BBQ cookout for other DL employees. It wouldn't matter if I named them as you probably would not know their names anyway and I must protect their privacy.

In reply to reply 13-I should have said "ATL-China, JFK-EZE/VARIOUS Mexican cities", excepting MEX which the majority of us know JFK-MEX is a route that has been in existance for quite a number of years. I wish to see some of these authorities that have been applied for and have not been mentioned in previous threads. Most of us have also seen the thread that mentions MEX-PVR/ACA and others and ATL-PVR/MID and others.

GLAGAZ

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:37 pm

Read on here last year that DL had applied for ATL-GLA but nothing came of it. Perhaps a Summer 2006 start with the 763?

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

DeltaA380

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:58 pm

Get the 777's and possibly the 764's out of European/Latin American and Domestic routes; start committing to serving Asian routes that we can gain access to and hopefully then money making routes like Beijing will come. I don't think we got the DOT approval for Beijing because we don't have any real committment to Asia. Seoul, with our SkyTeam partner KE would be a good place to compliment NRT service that a 764 should be able to do from LAX for example; it's a start until we can afford to get more 777's.

Oh, if only we could pull the Tristar's out of the desert and put them back in the clouds where they belong!
Vote Democratic in '06 and '08

panamair

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:16 pm

It's really not that surprising when you consider the recently announced routes as well as the applications in progress, most of which are in the Carribbean, Central, and South America:

Announced/Approved:
ATL-GIG New
ATL-PUJ New
ATL-BGI New
ATL-SDQ New
ATL-MGA New (tba)
ATL-LIM Increase
ATL-SCL Increase
ATL-SXM Increase
ATL-CUN Increase
ATL-LIR Increase
CVG-MBJ Increase

Applied for:
JFK-EZE
JFK-ACA
JFK-SJD
JFK-CZM
JFK-PVR
ATL-MID
ATL-ANU
CVG-SJD
MCO-CUN
LAX-CZM
LAX-PVR
SLC-CZM

I'm sure I'm missing a few more applications in progress, especially for Mexico.

PM

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:23 pm

If this 30% is true, will it have any bearing on Delta's apparent reluctance to take more 777s? It seems odd that UA and AA fly very large fleets of 777s and even CO have (or soon will) 20 or so but DL use just eight and don't much want the remaining five on order. (Even then, they'd have only 13.)

By the way, is it the case that DL really don't much want their last five 777s or that they would love to take them (and more?) but simply can't afford to?

I'd understand the latter but it has seemed for some time that DL almost wish they'd never ordered the 777 in the first place. They seem to show no enthusiasm for it. If so, I'm puzzled. It's obviously an excellent plane and very popular with all of DL's major US rivals (except NW). Why not DL?

panamair

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:33 pm

Quoting PM (Reply 19):
It seems odd that UA and AA fly very large fleets of 777s and even CO have (or soon will) 20 or so but DL use just eight and don't much want the remaining five on order. (Even then, they'd have only 13.)

The problem is DL's network does not really require significantly more 777s. They probably could do with a few more for some European hub flying (CDG, MXP) but not many more. Both UA and AA use 777s heavily on LHR and transpacific routes, both of which are essentially absent from DL's network. If they were to start up more transpacific service, they would need them but at this point, they don't really have the financial resources to heavily invest in starting those up (not to mention the fact that they don't really have strategically important Western U.S. hubs for profitable transpacific flying)

DAL767400ER

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:59 pm

IMHO 30% is not that unlikely if already known additions/applications within the last 6 months are included, but without those, it might be a bit much. But let's take a look at the possibilities:
-The 777 is already used to their max, so there won't be any additional flights with them, unless DL wants to give up having a back-up plane for NRT.

-The 764 is always rumored to be reconfigured with BizE for certain Euro routes where the 763 is too small and the 777 would be too big. IMHO, DL could possibly pull 5-7 764s off Florida routes, if they manage to make up for the capacity loss with more p2p routes on CRJs, but currently I doubt that, especially with half of the 764 fleet needed for Hawaii flights. Though I'd call it highly likely to see the 764 being deployed on more Caribbean/Lat Am routes like LIM, without the need for reconfiguration. Potential routes might be ATL-CUN/BOG/SDQ, and possibly even JFK-SDQ.

-The 763ER is pretty much maxed out, but capacity will be increased when the 8 domestic-configured 763Ers will be reconfigured back for international ops, with 4 reconfigured this winter and next winter. 2 are assigned for ATL-GIG during the summer, the other 6 allow for new routes or additional frequencies.

-The 763 will probably be used even more intensive to the Caribbean, based on its good carg capacity and of course also pax capacity, as is done on ATL-CUN/MBJ/SDQ, JFK-SDQ/STI (seasonal).

-The 757 and the ETOPS rumor. We’ll see about that, but should DL decide to get ETOPS for their 757s, I’d expect both DL mainline and also Song to use them to Europe.

-The 738 will be the main aircraft for the Mexican/Lat Am expansion, plus also the thinner Caribbean routes.

-The E70/CR7/CRJ will likely also be used to allow for more transborder routes from all hubs, depending on demand.

As for routes, of course new Euro routes can always be expected from both ATL and JFK.
We might also see lots of new routes to Canada, primarily from SLC on CRJs, mainline and/or CRJs from ATL and CVG, and on CRJs from both BOS and JFK.
Mexico routes are obviously important for DL now, and both ATL (with 738s) and SLC (with 738s and E70s) offer for a lot of potential new routes. JFK and CVG will likely be treated only secondary.
Caribbean/Lat Am/South Am will likely continue to be focused on ATL, JFK and SLC (in that order), though I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few Caribbean markets added from Florida as well.
As for exact routes, I could come up with quite a few, but I’ll write about those later (off to the A380 visit to Hamburg now  Wink )

peachair

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:10 pm

Keep in mind that the new terminal in BOS does NOT have an FIS. In addition, the big plans DL had for BOS were in place long before 9/11 which changed things considerably. BOS airport was Leo's baby.

DL is going to put the airplanes where the money is.

RobertS975

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:54 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 21):
We might also see lots of new routes to Canada, primarily from SLC on CRJs, mainline and/or CRJs from ATL and CVG, and on CRJs from both BOS and JFK.

Several years ago, DL had about 5 mainline flights a day to YUL, a route they inherited from Northeast Airlines. Then, the route was given over to DL Connection. Sadly, they have abandoned the route completely.

I have not heard any rumors about new DL long range international service from BOS during my Crown Room chats. I am a BOS based DL Platinum Medallion.

Zone1

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:28 pm

Song to use them to Europe.

Song to Europe? I really can't see that happening. I doubt that they would serve cites both with mainline and Song. Who in their right mind would fly mainline when you have Song. Would they start new cities to Europe with Song instead? Because BOS is out (no FIS in A), BDL and JFK would be the only gateway cities. I doubt BDL could support international service, and I doubt they would want to cannibalize their mainline loads at JFK, unless they go to new thinner routes using Song.
/// U N I T E D

ERJ170

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:36 pm

Any possibility of new non-hub P2P transcon/international?
Aiming High and going far..

DAL767400ER

Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:53 am

Quoting Zone1 (Reply 24):
Song to Europe? I really can't see that happening. I doubt that they would serve cites both with mainline and Song. Who in their right mind would fly mainline when you have Song. Would they start new cities to Europe with Song instead? Because BOS is out (no FIS in A), BDL and JFK would be the only gateway cities.

Massport is the main problem here, which would prevent Song from going to Europe (or DL int'l flights from BOS in general), I'm aware of that. One could only wish that Massport would pull their heads out of their a$$es and let DL add an FIS to Terminal A. If they allowed that, I could definitely see DL have Song flights to DUB, SNN, LGW and MAN, and mainline to CDG, FRA and FCO on the other side of the pond, and perhaps even some saturday-only flights from BOS to MEX and CUN (instead of AM), and a few Caribbean destinations.

MAH4546

Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 26):
and perhaps even some saturday-only flights from BOS to MEX and CUN (instead of AM),

Can't do BOS-CUN, AA and US do. And given AeroMexico's $1M+ losses on BOS-MEX, I don't see that happening.

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 25):
Any possibility of new non-hub P2P transcon/international?

As in RDU-CUN? I wouldn't expect it.
a.

B4REAL

Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:33 am

If they are really gung-ho on Int'l expansion, I'd love to see 1x daily CVG-MEX on the MD-90.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

RobertS975

Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:45 am

Pardon my ignorance, but what foes FIS stand for?

Delta4eva

Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:56 am

I'd like to see Delta pull the 777s from European routes all together and devote them entirely to Asia. They could pull 8, maybe 9 764s from domestic and convert them into BizElite for the Euro routes, especially since the second round of operation clockwork goes into effect soon freeing up 8 new aircraft. ATL-ICN, ATL-NGO, LAX-ICN and maybe even SLC-NRT could be some money makers for DL.
FLY DELTA JETS

DAL767400ER

Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:20 am

Quoting RobertS975 (Reply 29):

FIS= Federal Inspection Service, aka Immigration.

DeltaMIA

Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:28 am

Quoting RobertS975 (Reply 29):

Federal Inspection Station - basically it is US Customs and Immigration.

IMHO 30% is not that unlikely if already known additions/applications within the last 6 months are included, but without those, it might be a bit much. But let's take a look at the possibilities:

You are going to need to take into consideration it would be done with a total fleet reallocation assuming you consider some of the information within this thread to be factual.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

DAL767400ER

Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:37 am

Quoting DeltaMIA (Reply 32):
assuming you consider some of the information within this thread to be factual.

I hardly ever consider anything posted on a.net factual, unless posted with a press release  Wink .

deltaguy767

Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting Zone1 (Reply 24):
I doubt BDL could support international service,

You're damn right it couldn't, however BDL-JFK and then connection from JFK-Europe would be nice.

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 26):
Massport is the main problem here, which would prevent Song from going to Europe (or DL int'l flights from BOS in general),

Massport has been pulling this crap for years BOS has seen very limited and restricted Intl' service to only W. Europe due to the fact that nobody wants to taxi to Term. E for Customs and Immigration. Massport is clearly corrupt and something needs to be done. banghead 

Disgruntled from BDL,
DLGuy767
A Good Landing is one you walk away from!

BA747400

Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:28 am

-The 757 and the ETOPS rumor. We’ll see about that, but should DL decide to get ETOPS for their 757s, I’d expect both DL mainline and also Song to use them to Europe.

Although I don't see it happening, I would GLADLY fly Song to Europe! The AA 757's don't have the PTV's in them....(I am flying BOS-MAN in November, I think its going to be a lonnnnng flight since I usually fly BA through LHR.) Anyway, its wishful thinking.....

cslusarc

Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:36 am

I'm no fan of DL. DL doesn't have a chance to attract me to fly it, work for it or invest in it. I don't live in a city served by DL. [To take a DL flight I would need to fly Mapleflot (or WS) to a DL gateway in Canada or NW to MSP; neither option seems attractive.] As a 'Pegger, I'm not in a position to work for DL unless they deside to begin service to YWG or move a class centre up here. I've read DL's latest 10-Q and I've predicted which 100% certainty that DL will absolutely file for Chapter 11 (or even Chapter 7, keeping my fingers crossed) bankruptcy protection in the near future. The only thing I like about DL is their primarily non-unionized workforce,an unusual occurance in the airline indusry.

If DL could expand its international flights by 30% that would be a remarkable accomplishment for DL. I don't really think that DL will be able to accomplish this goel without successfully emerging from filing for Chapert 11.

Did DL have the 8 currently domestically configured 763ERs in an international configuration before? Having never flown DL, I would assume that the both DL's domestic First Class and interntional Business Elite Class use the same seat, just spaced differently throughout the cabin. If my assumption about the seats is true then DL wouldn't face any capital cost reconfiguring those 8 763ER aircraft.

Are any of DL's non-ER 763s ETOPS configured? I they aren't, I would think I would be a bad idea for DL to configure at least 4 (the owned ones, rather than the leased ones) for ETOPS missions. These ETOPS (non-ER) 763s could replace 764ERs on roules under 3600 mi like SLC to Hawaii or ATL to Latin America. As part of the ETOPS package could these 763s receive winglets to improve fuel efficiency.

How strong is the rumour that DL will ETOPS some of its 757s? I sincerely doubt that an ETOPS 757 will fly transatlantic missions for DL. DL's 757s have a lower powered engine when compared to AA's and CO's RR-powered 757-200s. These engines limit the 757s range to 2900 mi and would prevent DL form flying any other city pair other than BOS-SNN, BOS-KEF and JFK-KEF. However, a ETOPS 757 could fly from California to Hawaii and more direct routes to destinations in Mexico, the Carribean, Central America and Northern South America . As oart if the ETOPS package these 757s could receive winglests to improve fuel efficiency.

If the 757 and (non-ER) 763 can be reconfigured for ETOPS, there would be less of a need to fly domestically configured 764s to Hawaii. If DL would convert more mainline 757s to Song (or even some non-ER 763s), DL could displace some of the 764s on ATL to Florida routes with these all-Y Song aircraft. [ASSUMPTION: Florida has more leisure travellers than busines travellers.] Is there any demand for First Class travel on flights that are between 1 and 2 hours long? If all this happens I think that DL wouldn't need 12 of its domestically configured 764ERs, allowing them to be reconfigured for transatlantic missions.
--cslusarc from YWG

CVG777

Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:00 am

Quoting Cslusarc (Reply 36):
Did DL have the 8 currently domestically configured 763ERs in an international configuration before? Having never flown DL, I would assume that the both DL's domestic First Class and interntional Business Elite Class use the same seat, just spaced differently throughout the cabin. If my assumption about the seats is true then DL wouldn't face any capital cost reconfiguring those 8 763ER aircraft.

Delta's Business Elite seat is dramatically different from their Domestic First Class product. The International has a recline to 160 degrees, PTVs, and many more features. The domestic first class seat is similar to many other US carriers domestic products, and does not feature PTVs or the International recline, and isn't even capable of it. They are not the same seat.

yul332LX

Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:46 am

Quoting Cslusarc (Reply 36):
I would need to fly Mapleflot

ROTFLMAO!!!  Silly

Freakin' hilarious
E volavo, volavo felice più in alto del sole, e ancora più su mentre il mondo pian piano spariva lontano laggiù ...

LH423

Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:03 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 14):
No way, IMO. The O&D on BOS-South America is too small, and BOS is too close to JFK.

The Boston area has one of the largest Brazilian populations in the world outside of Brazil. Also, the Brazilian community is one of the more affluent, especially amongst the various Central and South American communities. Varig had announced the route back in the late-90s but their economy tanked, and then the US economy started slumping. Add to that a robust business sector between the Northeast and Brazil and I think it's really only a matter of time, though I already admitted that it's not a priority at this time. Though I think AA or RG would be better equipped to operate the route. AA to tap connections from around the Northeast and RG because of the name recognition amongst Brazilians. And the size of the Brazilian community in Eastern New England is large enough to not make a serious dent in JFK operations.

Colombia would also be a viable option though that community is already adequately served via one-stop service through MIA and SAL and also is not yet affluent enough to support non-stop service.

Quoting DeltaGuy767 (Reply 34):
Massport has been pulling this crap for years BOS has seen very limited and restricted Intl' service to only W. Europe due to the fact that nobody wants to taxi to Term. E for Customs and Immigration. Massport is clearly corrupt and something needs to be done.

No kidding, eh!

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Zone1

Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:10 am

Quoting DeltaGuy767 (Reply 34):
Massport is clearly corrupt and something needs to be done.

I don't really see any reason for them to be pulling this crap, other than to please someone else. If they were acting in Boston's and the airport's best interest they would do what it takes to get more service to the airport. It doesn't make sense.

Quoting BA747400 (Reply 35):
The AA 757's don't have the PTV's in them

I don't think Song's TVs would work on an international route, because I doubt Dish's satellite goes that far.
/// U N I T E D

chrisnh

Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:34 am

That there is no FIS at the new Delta Terminal A is an interesting point. Clearly, if Delta's new frontier for Boston and their new terminal were to be international destinations, then it is a head-scratcher as to why provisions aren't there for flights to depart and arrive to/from those destinations.

So: the question then becomes...was it Delta asleep at the switch for not insisting on this? Or was it Massport being the big bully? In my opinion, it seems as though Delta had leverage: They were paying for the terminal, after all. And all those construction jobs. So, if Delta had said to Massport, 'We want to launch and receive international flights at 'our' new terminal,' how likely would it have been that Massport would have said 'no?' I mean, look what Massport would be leaving on the table by chasing Delta away! With that scenario, my view is that Delta simply didn't insist upon this being a condition to go forward. And 'Why not?' then becomes the question du jour.

And now you have Delta trying to sub-lease space in 'their' terminal at Logan.

That's embarrasing.

Chris in NH

RCS763AV

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:03 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 3):
hope they will improve the service to colombia one day (mde, clo service from atl) + jfk service from bog, (overnight flight ex jfk too bog).

They will go to 763 on BOG-ATL. Dont think BOG-JFK is happening, given the results AA had on the route and that it is already codeshared with AV. Also, CLO and MDE are small markets that cant support much more capacity than what they have. DL wont go and have a big chance of loosing money on those routes while they can fly other more profitable segments.

Potential routes might be ATL-CUN/BOG/SDQ, and possibly even JFK-SDQ.

764 to BOG is a LOOONG shot, b/c of the operational difficulties it would have, pus its too much capacity. The only way i see that happening is if DL puts is code on AV´s BOG-UIO and BOG-GYE flights and connect the pax from Ecuador.

Quoting Delta4eva (Reply 30):
I'd like to see Delta pull the 777s from European routes all together and devote them entirely to Asia.

Hmmm....if they got the rights it would be feasible....

Quoting LH423 (Reply 39):
The Boston area has one of the largest Brazilian populations in the world outside of Brazil. Also, the Brazilian community is one of the more affluent, especially amongst the various Central and South American communities.

So? The Seattle area has a large number of Koreans and there are no direc flights, those pax can use MIA, JFk and ATL to connect.

If DL plans new international services, my guess is 757s to europe and new Latin America markets. And if they get more 777s, new Asia flights.

rwsea

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:43 am

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 42):

So? The Seattle area has a large number of Koreans and there are no direc flights, those pax can use MIA, JFk and ATL to connect.

Umm ... both KE and OZ have non-stop SEA-ICN flights ....

notdownnlocked

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:46 am

I had also heard that these changes concerning the 30% additions were projected to be completed and in place schedule wise in the March time period. As for Ecuador why not start a loop routing such as CO did from IAH but perhaps along the lines of ATL-UIO-GYE or ATL-GYE-UIO. Perhaps a 4x per week beginning on a 738 or 757 could work and as cargo grows or during the holidays put something larger on the route such a soon to be retired 762 but I feel also that those in the route planning office have spun the globe many times looking for places to land their aircraft.

RobertS975

Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:57 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 41):
That there is no FIS at the new Delta Terminal A is an interesting point. Clearly, if Delta's new frontier for Boston and their new terminal were to be international destinations, then it is a head-scratcher as to why provisions aren't there for flights to depart and arrive to/from those destinations.

So: the question then becomes...was it Delta asleep at the switch for not insisting on this? Or was it Massport being the big bully? In my opinion, it seems as though Delta had leverage: They were paying for the terminal, after all. And all those construction jobs. So, if Delta had said to Massport, 'We want to launch and receive international flights at 'our' new terminal,' how likely would it have been that Massport would have said 'no?' I mean, look what Massport would be leaving on the table by chasing Delta away! With that scenario, my view is that Delta simply didn't insist upon this being a condition to go forward. And 'Why not?' then becomes the question du jour.

And now you have Delta trying to sub-lease space in 'their' terminal at Logan.

The original plans for Terminal A at Logan was to have full Customs/Immigration facilities and to have both AF and AZ flights arriving and leaving from there as well. This would have facilitated international connections as well. The story that I have always heard from DAL BOS employees is that MassPort demanded that all international arrivals be handled at terminal E. The two AF flights to CDG used to use DL gates for departure at the old terminal C, but more than a year ago, these flights have departed from E. (DL employees still provide much of the manpower for check-in and gate agents for these AF flights @ Terminal E.)

As far as DL sub-leasing space, there was always extra counter space built into the new terminal, and the buzz is that CO will eventually move its operations back to terminal A. For one thing, their Presidents Club is outside of security at terminal C and this is never a good thing. My understanding is that there was always extra room for other carriers in the new terminal, some of which may have been meant for AF and AZ had they been allowed to operate out of the new terminal.

LH423

Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:27 pm

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 42):
So? The Seattle area has a large number of Koreans and there are no direc flights, those pax can use MIA, JFk and ATL to connect

Again people, where did I say that I thought this would happen? You're right. For now connections via other hubs are fine. I do, however, feel that at somepoint a non-stop will come about. And given that this thread is about DL I think it would be interesting if DL did that, even though I think DL is the last airline in any suitable position to do so.

LH423

United Airline

Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:26 pm

Wonder when will we see DL back in Hong Kong again.... They used to fly HKG-LAX. If they ever return I suppose they will do HKG-ATL

RCS763AV

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:33 pm

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 43):
Umm ... both KE and OZ have non-stop SEA-ICN flights ....

Yes! Forgot....sorry i sometimes say dumb things. But if you change the BOS code to YYZ,it works!

Another option could be returning to Egypt, Israel and flying ATL-ATH...

SafetyDude

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:06 am

In regards to BOS, would it possible (not to be confused with convenient) to taxi into E or wherever there is FIS, deplane the pax and crew and off-load the baggage/cargo, and then tow the plane over to A to load-up? (Sort of like B6 at JFK.)

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"