Capital146
Topic Author

What Made BM's Diamond Service So Good?

Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:50 am

Having heard about how excellent British Midland's Diamond Service was when it existed during during the late 1980's and all of the 1990's, I'm curious to know what advantages it had over the current Bmi economy service.

OK, I know Bmi have recently gone to a pay-for-food operation on most of their short-haul services, but what else was the much-liked Diamond Service renowned for?

I know Diamond Service used to offer check-in on domestic services of just 10-15 minutes with hand luggage only, a definate plus for time-conscious business travellors. What else? Was the service better? Were the meals nicer?
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

AMSSpotter

RE: What Made BM's Diamond Service So Good?

Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:24 am

I remember being served a shrimp salad as part of quite an extensive lunch. Very nice!
It's just that nowadays, you can fly from Amsterdam to London from around Eur. 55,= roundtrip which wasn't possible in the "shrimp-salad era"  Wink

DBCooper

RE: What Made BM's Diamond Service So Good?

Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:28 am

I used to fly MME-LHR a lot a few years back, during the heyday of BD's Diamond Service and I can sum it up for you in one word: consistency.

Everything was consistent and you knew exactly what to expect. Branding helped a lot too, at the airports, with staff (remember the cabin crew uniforms?), on the aircraft...

The last few times I have flown BD (usually LHR-MAN) all I can say is that BD is now consistently inconsistent.

- DBC