looneytoon

Overnighters At An Airport

Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:58 am

Hello,

Take this scenario:

I am booked on a flight to the USA originating in ASU, but I have a 13 hour overnight layover in GRU to take the daytime JJ flight to MIA on the next day. My bags are all checked to STX (my final destination). If I decide to wait the 13 hours at the terminal at GRU overnight, would my bags be put on the same flight as me on the next day (13 hours later)? I wouldn't have to go through customs and baggage claim at GRU and then re-check them the day of my flight? I don't plan on leaving GRU.

Sorry if this question isn't all that clear, but tell me if you need for me to clarify...

thanks
LooneyToon

optionscle

RE: Overnighters At An Airport

Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:57 am

I believe that it's dependent on the airline you are flying on. I would call customer service and ask them. Many airlines have a policy of returning baggage to customers when they request it on a delay layover, I assume it's the same for an overnight connection.

looneytoon

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:07 am

I don't want to request my baggage though. If I don't request it and stay for the 13 hours at the airport, it will be checked with me on my flight right?
LooneyToon

carduelis

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:20 am

When you check-in make sure you tell them that you want your bags tagged in accordance with your booked flight details on your ticket, and that is what should happen!

The only thing I can think of is that you MAY have to claim your bags at MIA - being a US airport - before you can transit through to STX (St Croix?) - perhaps some of our US colleagues can advise on that scenario, as I'm not sure on the current position on transitting through the US.

Bon Voyages!
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

TWA902fly

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:26 am

My guess - although i haven't been there is you will have to claim your bags and go through customs in Miami, and then drop them back off, as STX is technically a US Territory, and you have to go through customs at your first point of entry, being MIA. Then you continue on to your domestic flight to STX

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

looneytoon

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:43 am

Quoting Carduelis (Reply 3):
The only thing I can think of is that you MAY have to claim your bags at MIA - being a US airport - before you can transit through to STX (St Croix?)

Yes, I am aware of this.

So then when I get to GRU, I don't have to worry about my bags or customs (I am not leaving the airport) since they will be checked all the way to STX. Is this correct?
LooneyToon

Captintut

Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:14 pm

Quoting LooneyToon (Reply 5):
So then when I get to GRU, I don't have to worry about my bags or customs (I am not leaving the airport) since they will be checked all the way to STX. Is this correct?

depend on which airlines you flying and on the code share between airlines. I would say you check in the counter in your origin if you have to claim it at GRU or not im sure they will let you know.
Definitely you have to claim your luggage at MIA since this is your first US destination and then after the Customs you have to go and check in for your final flight to STX.
by the way which airlines you flying?
Hope this helps, Enjoy your Flight.

Regards
TuT
Aircraft Flown: B747-B777-B737-B767-B757-A300-A318-A319-A320-A321-A330-A340-MD80-MD90-CRJ600-CRJ900-E190-A380

looneytoon

Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:33 pm

I will be flying AA and JJ. ASU-GRU on AA GRU-MIA on JJ MIA-STX on AA
LooneyToon

Oluseun

Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:32 am

LooneyToon-

For CO there is a maximum 13 hr connect for online (CO to CO) bags. For interline (CO to OA) there is a 12 hr connect time. I am not sure if AA and JJ have a baggage interline agreement, however I assume they do. With that being said, you should definitely contact both airlines to find out each other's policies. A conflict that could possibly occur is: does AA give the bag to JJ? Or is JJ supposed to get the bag from AA? Sometimes situations like these are unprecedented. I would not want to make the precedent - at least if it did not turn out in my favor. Good luck.

Rgds
Oluseun

[Edited 2005-08-28 19:37:05]

[Edited 2005-08-28 19:38:11]
AtideOoo!!! Wazobia...

Continental

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:36 pm

Just pray that GRU has some nice seats to lay on. Everytime I need to do an overnighter at an airport or spend ridiculous amounts of time at one, I get stuck with either metal chairs or the row of chairs that have armrests so you cannot lay across the row. My last experience was Wednesday when I was at VCE. I found the bench so uncomfortable that I ended up on the floor (which was freezing cold cement).

looneytoon

Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:33 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 9):
I get stuck with either metal chairs or the row of chairs that have armrests so you cannot lay across the row

That's what GRU has to offer...
LooneyToon

Evan767

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:33 am

Just pray that GRU has some nice seats to lay on. Everytime I need to do an overnighter at an airport or spend ridiculous amounts of time at one, I get stuck with either metal chairs or the row of chairs that have armrests so you cannot lay across the row. My last experience was Wednesday when I was at VCE. I found the bench so uncomfortable that I ended up on the floor (which was freezing cold cement).

If you are ever spending the night in ATL I highly recommend a trip to C concourse. Go to the end of the DL Connection side of the concourse and sleep on the leather sofas. I have done it before. It still wasn't very pleasant, but it sure beats the floor or metal chairs.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

6thfreedom

Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:04 pm