dandy_don

4 Engined Regional Jets

Sat May 06, 2000 11:24 am

Many recent posts have commented that the DC10 and MD11 are no longer economical because they have 3 engines to maintain vs 2 in all of the new twinjets.

Makes sense to me.

Why then do I see MSP and DTW swarming with little regional jets with FOUR engines in NWA colors?

RE: 4 Engined Regional Jets

Sat May 06, 2000 12:32 pm

FYI those jets are BAe-146's. Originally BAe wanted to make the jet quiet, but since the only high-bypass turbofans around then were quite weak they had to put four of them on each jet. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

PH-BZA

Flying-Tiger

Sat May 06, 2000 9:49 pm

The RJs your refering to are actually Avro RJ85 of which Mesaba Airlines, NW feeder, has 36 on order with 33 delivered.

Regards
Flying-Tiger
http://fly.to/rorders The regional plane orders page
Flown: A319/320/321,A332/3,A380,AT4,AT7,B732/3/4/5/7/8,B742/4,B762/763,B772,CR2,CR7,ER4,E70,E75,F50/70,M11,L15,S20

Samurai 777

Sun May 07, 2000 6:19 am

Flying tiger's right. Mesaba has RJ85s, which is a newer version of the BAe 146-200. As far as I can remember, Hawker-Siddely, the original manufacturer of the BAe 146 (it was originally designated the HS 146, before the merger of HS and Vickers to form British Aerospace)couldn't produce a twin-engined regional jet at the time in the late '70s that would be quiet enough to meet increasingly strict noise requirements of airports. So four relatively weaker turbofans were actually quieter than two with greater power.

It was also made to operate from hot-and-high airports in Third World countries, that's one of the reasons for it having four engines. Jet aircraft typically require more fuel to takeoff and fly in hot weather or at high altitudes, both conditions which make air less dense and therefore make jet engines less efficient. The BAe 146 didn't sell as well as anticipated in Third World countries, possibly because it is expensive to maintain. But there are quite a few BAe 146s operating in Australia, especially in hot conditions, but no Avro RJ85, though. There are 10 BAe 146s (AirBC and Air Nova) in operation in Canada, so I've flown on a few of them, mostly on AirBC. There are a few other BAe146/Avro RJ operators in North America besides Mesaba, such as Air Wisconsin(United Express) and also several in Europe, where they found the biggest market.

Sun May 07, 2000 6:47 am

I read earlier in the forum, that the BAe146 has a military background. So maybe economics were not the priority when developing that AC.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos