UAcosCS
Topic Author

Airlines, And The South Pole

Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:43 am

Are there any airlines that fly over antarctica or the South Pole in general, close to it?, kind of like a polar route, but the south pole.

I flew around the world a year ago and was wondering if one could go the other way.

Thanks
We had dreams and songs to sing, It's so lonely round the fields of Athenry.

Brasuca

RE: Airlines, And The South Pole

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:13 am

Aerolíneas Argentinas operates the southernmost (scheduled) commercial route in the world: BUE-AKL, around S50° - S55°.
JNB-SYD with QF/SA probably ranks second, which goes far until S45°.

Commercial flights are not allowed to overfly Antartica, for security reasons.
Boeing flew two years ago with 773ER from SYD to GIG, which crossed exactly the south pole.

[Edited 2005-08-29 22:19:39]
Varig, Varig, Varig

777DadandJr

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:18 am

Quoting Brasuca (Reply 1):
Commercial flights are not allowed to overfly Antartica, for security reasons.

What security reasons?
I always heard it was because Antarctica is outside the ETOPs range.

Can someone confirm this?

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

MD11junkie

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:26 am

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 2):
What security reasons?

Yes, there's no ETOPS rating for the Southern Pacific. That's why AR and LA fly it with quads. (AR 747/A340, LA A340).

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD-11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

thomasphoto60

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:28 am

I know that at one time both NZ and QF had sightseeing flights over Antarctica. Indeed the tragic crash of an NZ DC-10 into Mt. Erebus in 79, comes to mind in regards to flights over Antarctica.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

UALdispatch

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:42 am

Just off the top of my head without running any numbers i can only think of maybe no suitable alternates within close range?? The South Pole doesnt have the same benefit of having established Polar tracks and vast amount of Russian/Canadian Airspace within close distance in the event of an emergency.

Just my .02 cents
FLY UNITED AIRLINES AND THE FRIENDLY SKIES

Brasuca

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:43 am

777DadanJr,
Most part of Antartica is indeed out of the highest ETOPS range (330-minute ETOPS, ie 773ER). But ETOPS is applicable only for twin-engine aircraft.

Thus, hypothetically, 747, 340 and 380 should be allowed to overfly there, but if an emergency should happen, that wouldn't just be just like in the Arctic, with an easy access from Russia, Canada, Greenland, Alaska...
South America, South Africa and Australia are just damn far from Antartica for an emergency.
And more, it's a hilly place, differently from the Arctic.

In southern hemisphere summer, it used to have charter flights by Qantas to Antartica, the route was SYD-SYD:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Craig Murray
View Large View Medium

Photo © Craig Murray

Maybe it should be created a new word: EFOPS: "Extended-Range Four-Engine Operations"   

[Edited 2005-08-29 22:50:34]
Varig, Varig, Varig

antares

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:57 am

Brasuca,

Boeing didn't take its 777-300ER anywhere near the south pole flying to GIG. It remained about as far from the south pole as New York is from London, or so it seemed from the map that came with the press release.

Antares

Brasuca

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:14 am

Antares,
I'm not based in any map. Give me more details, please, because Boeing shows they did.
Varig, Varig, Varig

antares

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:44 am

Brasuca,

I'm travelling today. There were copious reports in the flight magazines and you should also go to Boeing.com and access the news release archives.

The maps showed the flight stayed well north the Antarctic circle, which was pretty much as expected, since that gets the tail winds as well as stays in touch with alternates like Papeete, Easter Island and then across Chile etc.

When Boeing first announced the proving flights they did show a route over the polar wastes, but it was all BS as most of those preliminary announcements tend to be, and from anyone, not just Boeing.

Antares

TBCITDG

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:49 am

Can any one correct me if I am wrong, but was AR the first airline to fly the "transpolar" route almost 20 years ago from Rio Gallegos??

klmcedric

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:55 am

How long is the QF SYD-SYD flight?
They probably can't stay much longer then 30-60mins before starting
the return to SYD,can they?
Does QF still operate these flights?
I assume that only the windowseats are sold on these flights?
What's the point in purchasing an antartic sightseeing flight if you're not
sitting by the window.

timz

RE: Airlines Over Antarctica

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:55 am

Quoting Antares (Reply 7):
It remained about as far from the south pole as New York is from London, or so it seemed from the map that came with the press release.

JFK-LHR = 5554 km

Antarctic Circle to South Pole = 2617 km, about

How far did Boeing's 773 get from its alternates?

[Edited 2005-08-29 23:57:09]

antares

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:14 am

KLMCedric,

People rotate between seats to ensure everyone gets a view. Look it up with Google. And also Croydon Travel, the Melbourne travel firm that charters the flights.

I personally recommend taking one or more of them. Outstanding value.

As far as the Argentinian flights go, they did cross part of the polar ice on some flights especially westbound, as the refuelling stop put them much closer to Antarctica than today's non-stops from Santiago or Buneos Aires to Auckland.

However crossing into Antartica and going over the south pole are two things very far apart, as you will see if you turn a globe upside down and do a bit of research.

OK my much delyaed flight looks like boarding.

Antares

Trolley Dolley

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:26 am

SAA looked at the prospect of operating a 744 on the Cape Town to Christchurch route, which is the only route that goes almost directly over the south pole. This has been flown before with special one-off flights, like the Pan Am 747SP Flight 50 transpolar service, but there is a black spot in the centre of the route where if anying happened, there would be no way of the 744 making to the destination or back to departure point.

As mentioned, the QF flighstseeing trips are the only ones that operate on a commerical basis over the Antarctic continent. That said, it's common for icebergs to be seen on the New Zealand-South American routes and to cross pack ice.

The QF flights spend about 4 hours getting to the ice, 4 hours over the ice at a minimum altitude of 10,000ft or 2,000ft higher than the highest point within 200kms, and then 4 hours getting back home.

legendDC9

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:31 am

Quoting Trolley Dolley (Reply 14):
As mentioned, the QF flighstseeing trips are the only ones that operate on a commerical basis over the Antarctic continent. That said, it's common for icebergs to be seen on the New Zealand-South American routes and to cross pack ice.

The QF flights spend about 4 hours getting to the ice, 4 hours over the ice at a minimum altitude of 10,000ft or 2,000ft higher than the highest point within 200kms, and then 4 hours getting back home.

That sounds way too cool. Will have to check this thing out. Thanks!

USAFHummer

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:53 am

As mentioned, the QF flighstseeing trips are the only ones that operate on a commerical basis over the Antarctic continent.

They might be the only airline flights over the Antarctic continent, but you can actually fly to Antarctica and land on the continent through Adventure Network International's Lockheed Hercules service from Punta Arenas, Chile (Ive just found out they also use a chartered IL-76 at times)..this flight brings mountaineers and other adventurers to the continent at a place called Patriot Hills, and from there, Twin Otters fly within the continent to various destinations...almost like a mini-hub! Such trips are very expensive however, usually tens of thousands of dollars...
http://www.adventure-network.com

Here's a great picture of the IL-76 on finals in Antarctica...

http://tilenius.homestead.com/southpole/ani123.html

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

aa777jr

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:59 am

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 3):
Yes, there's no ETOPS rating for the Southern Pacific

Not so much a security issue as it is a safety issue. I'd be interested to know what "security" reasons he speaks of.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

Arcano

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:03 am

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 4):
I know that at one time both NZ and QF had sightseeing flights over Antarctica

LAN does it sometimes. the last flight I was aware of, they chartered a 340 and sold only the window seat for watching both Antartica and the Stars (I don't remember well, but I think that there was some astronomical event at the time, an eclipse or something).

Actually, the last LA accident (BAE146 in Puerto Williams), it was after an Antartic flight. Avant airlines in the 90s also organized some flights over Antartica, departing from Punta Arenas on a 732

Quoting TBCITDG (Reply 10):
Can any one correct me if I am wrong, but was AR the first airline to fly the "transpolar" route almost 20 years ago from Rio Gallegos??

No, it was Lan Chile in the 70s with a 707. The flight was Punta Arenas-Sydney (PUQ-SYD). It's actually some event recalled at their web site. Regular flights? probably for AR.

Regards )( ARCANO
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

UAcosCS
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:59 am

Quoting KLMCedric (Reply 11):
sitting by the window.

Good point.

Thanks all for a wonderful read. You all provided me with a lot of info. I might look into the QF deal and see if any have sightseeing tours anymore. The IL-76 would be the way to go, but a bit out of the price range. Smile

Brasuca

Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:58 am

Quoting Antares (Reply 9):
There were copious reports in the flight magazines

Which ones?

Quoting Antares (Reply 9):
you should also go to Boeing.com and access the news release archives.

I will. Thanks.

SAA looked at the prospect of operating a 744 on the Cape Town to Christchurch route

Nothing else than propaganda. This route wouldn't ever be profitable.

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 17):
Not so much a security issue as it is a safety issue. I'd be interested to know what "security" reasons he speaks of.

As far as I know, security and safety are synonymous. Otherwise, prove it to me.
Varig, Varig, Varig

VirginFlyer

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:44 am

Quoting Brasuca (Reply 6):
In southern hemisphere summer, it used to have charter flights by Qantas to Antartica, the route was SYD-SYD:

These flights are still operated. They are sold by a company called Croydon Travel. See their website: http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/

Quoting KLMCedric (Reply 11):
How long is the QF SYD-SYD flight?
They probably can't stay much longer then 30-60mins before starting
the return to SYD,can they?
Does QF still operate these flights?
sitting by the window.

The flight lasts for about 13 hours, including nearly 4 hours over the Antarctic. All seats are sold - see http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/prices.html for details. There is a rotation system. The very centre seats don't rotate, but you are still able to walk around the cabin and get window views - people are generally very accomodating.

I went on the February 13th Sydney flight this year (I really should put up a trip report at some stage) - it was absolutely amazing. The view was absolutely spectacular. It was just amazing to see the vast expanse of the place. Words really can't describe it.

Quoting Brasuca (Reply 20):
As far as I know, security and safety are synonymous.

Generally in English, safety refers to the physical risk of something, while security refers to protecting something. For instance, ETOPS is a safety issue. Flying over a military base is a security issue. It's actually quite difficult to explain, but I hope you get what I mean...

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

HKGKaiTak

Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:43 pm

Quoting VirginFlyer (Reply 21):
These flights are still operated. They are sold by a company called Croydon Travel. See their website: http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/

Croydon Travel leases a 744 from QF to operate these flights.

If you happen to be a travel agent and wait until 1-2 weeks prior to departure, Croydon usually releases some killer deals ... I remember some extremely cheap deals for this year's flights, something in the region of AUD$300. Where else can you get a ride in a 744 for so long for so cheap?

Incidentally, Croydon Travel is part of the Australian Pacific Touring group of companies, and another one of its brands Captain's Choice also leases 744s from QF for its tours - look out for QF 744s in faraway parts of Africa ...  Smile
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

Trolley Dolley

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:54 pm

Brasuca. Interesting comment about the NZ to South Africa link being "propaganda". There is the real prospect for charters between the two countries at times of rugby tests. There are also very strong cultural, economic and social links between NZ and South Africa. While I agree with you that the route would not be commercially vaiable on a scheduled basis, the fact they investigated the technicalities of the route and came up with the safety issue does not mean their findings should be dismissed.

Also, the QF ops, with the exception of the flightseeing trips operated over the ice, are not permitted to go further than 60s. This can pose challenges on the JNB-SYD run where they get down to 57s or more. This is a similar to the depth of flight on the BUE-AKL flights.

The inflight magazines Anatres refers to is the Qantas "Airways" magazine. I've seen the articles over the years.

bongo

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:00 am

What security reasons?

That is security reasons !
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

yhmfan

Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:51 am

What security reasons?

I think Brasuca meant "Safety" not "Security".
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

MD11junkie

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:16 am

Quoting Arcano (Reply 18):
No, it was Lan Chile in the 70s with a 707. The flight was Punta Arenas-Sydney (PUQ-SYD). It's actually some event recalled at their web site. Regular flights? probably for AR.

I would love to see your source for that!  Smile

Wikipedia does not agree with you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerolineas_Argentinas

Cheers! wave 
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

antiuser

Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:36 am

Quoting Yhmfan (Reply 25):
I think Brasuca meant "Safety" not "Security"

Both words in portuguese translate to the same term - segurança. English dictionaries list both words as synonyms, but it's customary to use the distinct terms for distinct reasons. From my researching, these are the definitions I could find that tenuously outline the implicit differences in usage:

Safety: the state of being certain that adverse effects will not be caused by some agent under defined conditions; "insure the safety of the children"

Security: measures taken as a precaution against theft or espionage or sabotage etc.; "military security has been stepped up since the recent uprising"

Apologies for going slightly off-topic, but as a foreigner who spent years studying the English language, I know how hard it can be to understand the subtleties of such terms.
Azzurri Campioni del Mondo!

Brasuca

Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:30 am

Ok. Now I accept I really meant "Safety" instead of "Security". Thanks for all explanations and apologies as English is not my native language.
Varig, Varig, Varig

yhmfan

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:10 pm

Quoting Brasuca (Reply 28):
Thanks for all explanations and apologies as English is not my native language.

No need to apologize!!! Your English is a hell of a lot better than my portuguese!!  Smile
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

Arcano

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:31 pm

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 26):
I would love to see your source for that!

Your article said that AR was the first of setting a regulart flight, does not say that it was the first one that communicated Australia with South America. I posted the same, although your envy towards LAN one more time blinds you. Be careful, bad vivbes turn into colon cancer, and we don't want to read you blaming LAN for that also...

Here you can read how in 1974 LAN CHILE was the first airline to fly over Antartica
http://www.tdx.cesca.es/TESIS_UAB/AV...BLE/TDX-1021103-180721/fgm6de8.PDF
The site is from spain, see page 20, first pharagraph

look this site from Argentina:
http://www.avmag.com.ar/aero/aerolineas/LAN.html
1955: Por vez primera, LanChile ofreció vuelos sin escalas entre Santiago y Arica/Antofagasta en el norte y Punta Arenas en el sur con la adición del DC-6 de 80 pasajeros. LanChile también hizo historia en la industria de la aviación con el DC-6 y el primer vuelo comercial a la Antártica.

And this one of the Czech Republic (I guess...)
http://www.airways.cz/web/zobraz.asp?id=326

Accept it, so far and for 75 years Lan Chile is the most succesfull airline of South America. Only profits, only service, only good looking, ponly recognition. Does it hurt you that much?
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

UAcosCS
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Cant find if QF does those flights anymore.

Maybe I will try and contact QF and ask.

Went web site and it wasn't listed.

Thanks for all the info on this topic.

UAcosCS

MD11junkie

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:32 pm

Quoting Arcano (Reply 30):
Be careful, bad vivbes turn into colon cancer, and we don't want to read you blaming LAN for that also...

I have better things to worry than LAN - they don't deserve more than the 5 minutes I dedicate writing my posts  Wink - I don't want to read you blaming AR for colon cancer, also  Silly

Quoting Arcano (Reply 30):
Accept it, so far and for 75 years Lan Chile is the most succesfull airline of South America. Only profits, only service, only good looking, ponly recognition. Does it hurt you that much?

As I said, it and not in a sarcastic/ironic way (the way you took it - seems that you want to start a war) - great to see that LAN did that, I did not know that. I now know something else.  Smile

And btw, my sentiment for LAN comes in from crappy experiences (ALWAYS - not just once, included the LAFSA deal) - I really hope they can improve their service - at least when I travel  Silly.

Cheers! wave 

Marambio

Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:15 am

Quoting Arcano (Reply 18):

I am afraid you are not completely right on that one. Aerolíneas Argentinas operated for some 20 years the so-called Transpolar Route via Río Gallegos with 742, because the aircraft has not got the necessary range for flying from Buenos Aires to Auckland.

In the early 1990s, when Aerolíneas received its A342s, they started operating the flight non-stop from Buenos Aires to Auckland. I still remember a handwritten message in AR's check-in desk at RGL stating "El Transpolar no para más en Gallegos" ("The Transpolar [flight] doesn't stop at RGL anymore").

Lan Chile certainly was the first airline to operate a commercial flight to Antarctica, but Argentina has always been a pioneer on that subject.

The first recognizement flight above Antarctica was done on December 19th, 1951 on an Argentine Air Force Avro 649 Lincoln B.Mk2, registered LV-ZEI. The crew consisted on ten Air Force officials, commanded by Vice-Commodore Gustavo Argentino Marambio. Other flights consequently followed, including the first landing ever on Antarctic soil, done with a small Beaver plane.

On October 29th, 1969, the first air shuttle between Antarctica and another continent was established by the Argentine Air Force, from Río Gallegos to Marambio Base. It was operated with a Fokker F-27, registered TC-77, commanded at that time by Air Force Major Roque Antonio Faulin. This one was also the first Antarctic landing with regular gears, not with skis as it usually was done. The return flight was commanded by Vice-commodore Ervin Roberto Kern.

Currently, the only air shuttle between Antarctica and another continent is operated by the Argentine Air Force, from Ushuaia to Marambio, every Saturday with a Hercules C-130. From Marambio, a bunch of Twin Otters fly to the other 13 Argentine bases, supplying them with the needed food, petrol, etc.

An interesting website regarding this subject is www.marambio.aq both in Spanish and English. Bear in mind .aq is Antarctica's internet domain.

Saludos,
Marambio
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

antares

Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:22 am

Mariambo,

I'm just a bit puzzled by your reference to the only supply flights between Antartica and another continent.

We see regular flights by Starlifters and C-130s from Christchurch to McMurdo Sound, and have done in various types of planes since before 1960, including an amazing beast that had a name like Globemaster and looked vaguely like a piston engined cross between a Guppy and an A380, well, sort of.

I recall being told that the Russians still operate supply flights as well, but via Madagascar, although I am not sure if that is the case.

If you take the view that New Zealand isn't a continent then I suppose you have a point, although as far as air services go, not an especially brilliant one.

Antares

VirginFlyer

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:45 am

Quoting UAcosCS (Reply 31):
Cant find if QF does those flights anymore.

Maybe I will try and contact QF and ask.

Went web site and it wasn't listed.

Quoting VirginFlyer (Reply 21):

Qantas don't actually market the flights themselves, so you won't find much (if any) reference to them on their website.

The crew certainly enjoy them though from what I saw. On my flight, most of them cabin crew had specifically bid for the flight, although at least one had just been scheduled on it without even asking - she said she was very lucky! The captain was on, I think, his 5th Antarctic flight, but at least one of the other pilots was going for the first time. As fantastic a view as you got out a passenger's window, the view from up front must be absolutely spectacular.

There are 4 flights scheduled for this season:

5th November 2005 Sydney Depart 8:00am Arrive 8:30pm
31st December 2005 Sydney Depart 5:00pm Arrive 6:00am
22nd January 2006 Melbourne Depart 8:40am Arrive 8:10pm
12th February 2006 Sydney Depart 8:00am Arrive 8:30pm

The 31st of December one is the New Year's flight - they apparently have a jazz band on board, and it is a great atmosphere. The passengers are also the first to see the sun in the New Year - there is 24 hour daylight at that time of year!

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Marambio

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:25 pm

Good evening Antares,

Quoting Antares (Reply 34):
We see regular flights by Starlifters and C-130s from Christchurch to McMurdo Sound, and have done in various types of planes since before 1960, including an amazing beast that had a name like Globemaster and looked vaguely like a piston engined cross between a Guppy and an A380, well, sort of.

I by no means tried to say Argentina is the only country to feed its Antarctic bases by air. What I really meant, was that Argentina is the only country to maintain a regular shuttle service to Antarctica, which unfailingly operates every Saturday through the whole year, unless weather does not permit it.

It is well known by those interested in Antarctica-related topics, that the USA uses aircraft from its McMurdo base to supply with the necessary equipment Admunsen-Scott, as the latter can otherwise only be reached driving, which is something impossible in The White Continent.

I recall being told that the Russians still operate supply flights as well, but via Madagascar, although I am not sure if that is the case.

I was not aware of that, may I ask when you heard it? Lots of things have changed on the Russian bases since the USSR's demise, including budget and supply means. I will try to google it later and then I'll tell you what I found, if so you wish.

Saludos,
Marambio
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

antares

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:06 pm

Mariambo,

Thanks for the info. It would be great to take the shuttle.

I don't have up to date information, but I have seen press references here to planned non-stop flights between Hobart and one of the Australian bases as well as the nearer French base at Dumont d'Urville, which I saw from a very low altitude indeed on the very first Qantas scenic flight in a 747-200 chartered by Dick Smith late in 1976.

The Australian plan is or was to use a Falcon jet and land on bare ice, which struck me as really pushing the envelope when it came to range, and it would have operated with barely enough fuel to make one missed approach or having to return unsuccessful to Hobart. There were suggestions that a larger jet might be used.

The benefits were obvious. No long sea voyages, better use of research salaries than paying people for being sea sick for weeks, and so forth, but it still sounded like a pretty risky flight given the violent and changeable conditions ascribed to coastal Antartica bases.

Antares

ZK-NBT

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:01 pm

Quoting Marambio (Reply 33):
In the early 1990s, when Aerolíneas received its A342s,

They recieved the A342's in 1999, second hand.

A342

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:30 pm

We see regular flights by Starlifters

The Lockheed Starlifter is the C-141, right? But the only customer was the USAF and the last aircraft were phased out this year and flown to Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona, in order to be stored or scrapped. They are being replaced with C-17.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Brendan Vanderwerf

This is the last photo of a C-141 in CHC, taken in November 2004. I highly doubt that there are any left.

rgds, A342
Exceptions confirm the rule.