soylentgreen

What Happened To The Peanuts?

Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:36 am

Where are the peanuts? It seems all US based airlines serve pretzels now instead of the traditional peanuts. Is it because of peanut allergies, cost (pretzels are cheaper), or what?

MGASJO

RE: What Happened To The Peanuts?

Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:45 am

AA still serves an assortment of hot nuts in First and Business Class. But, hey, I guess peanuts are not nuts, are they?  scratchchin 
C208B

Evan767

Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:49 am

Delta gives you a choice of peanuts (sometimes roasted, but I usually get salted), animal crackers, sun chips, granola bars, and crackers in both cabins.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

AirWillie6475

Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:52 am

So it has come to this. Someone is actually asking about having peanuts or pretzels on US airlines. What ever happened to those days when 30 minutes after take-off the F/As would bring you your drinks and your choice of steak or chicken and you would relax while you ate your steak and salad while enjoying a good movie. I miss those days. Now it's either peanuts or chex mix and a cup of coke on cross-country flights, but wait, we now get those special 5 inch screens in-front of us that are more anoying than good. Going back to your question besides WN, I don't know other airines that serve peanuts.

ASMD80

Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:56 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 3):
Going back to your question besides WN, I don't know other airines that serve peanuts.

Occasionaly, AS does. But now, most of the time "ranch" party mix or pretzels are served.
Some things are actually better at 30,000+ feet...

ltbewr

Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:07 am

There are sufficent numbers of people whom have severe reactions to peanuts, their dust or oil that even a couple of rows away they can be affected. Not a good idea to have someone die or have a severe reaction on an a/c due to peanuts, especially to your 'customer service', bottom line or your insurance. As this isn't an obious disability, it saves a lot of time and trouble not to serve any nuts on board.

ntspelich

Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:07 am

It's easy: pretzels cost less than peanuts. Look at most airlines' financials and you do the math. Kind of like when AA found out that if they removed one olive from a salad they'd save some ungodly amount of money.

NTS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

1MillionFlyer

Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:08 am

Southwest still serves peanuts.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

luvfa

Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:24 am

If someone has a peanut dust allergy they can let Res know and we won't serve any peanuts. We'll serve pretzels on flights under 90min. and a snack w/o nuts on flights over 90 min.

4holer26

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:15 pm

What happened to the gold wings we got as kids?
I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!!!

N243NW

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:58 pm

Quoting 4holer26 (Reply 9):
What happened to the gold wings we got as kids?

Yeah, and I still have my Northwest 757-200 trading card signed by the captain. Those were the good old days.
-N243NW Big grin
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

ContnlEliteCMH

Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:01 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 5):
There are sufficent numbers of people whom have severe reactions to peanuts, their dust or oil that even a couple of rows away they can be affected. Not a good idea to have someone die or have a severe reaction on an a/c due to peanuts, especially to your 'customer service', bottom line or your insurance. As this isn't an obious disability, it saves a lot of time and trouble not to serve any nuts on board.

Well, that sure doesn't stop Coex, or DL, or other airlines I fly on. In fact, when offered a choice between peanuts and pretzels, I always take peanuts. I like them better!
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

Jalto27R

Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:06 pm

I've heard stories that a man who was eating peanuts had a heart attack, or something of the sort. A nearby passenger began CPR, and low-and-behold saves the dying passenger. Though, the rescuer was allergic to peanuts and later dies. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me but I found it amusing and it does provide an explanation none-the-less. Silly

Mike

UALFAson

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:00 pm

My mom said a couple of weeks ago they randomly got peanuts to serve instead of pretzels or snack mix for the first time in recent memory and the passengers couldn't get enough. People wanted 3 or 4 bags each. She had to ration them out to ensure everybody got at least one bag. She said she hadn't seen such a happy bunch of passengers in ages. Apparently you're not the only one who misses peanuts, Soylentgreen...

United also serves ramekins of hot nuts in first and business classes, but I don't believe there are peanuts in them--mostly cashews, pecans, almonds, and pine nuts, but I could be mistaken.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

FlyingTexan

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:16 pm

"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

FutureFO

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:25 pm

We do not serve Peanuts at all. On morning flights we serve a breakfast bakery item, for midday flights we do a light snack and Chocolate Chip Cookies that we bake onboard. And then after about 6pm we serve a dessert item.

Sean from MCO and MKE
I Don't know where I am anymore

UALdispatch

Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:59 pm

UA serves Hot Nuts in 1st class as well. At least it did as of last month when I flew last
FLY UNITED AIRLINES AND THE FRIENDLY SKIES

Starlionblue

Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:18 pm

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 1):
AA still serves an assortment of hot nuts in First and Business Class. But, hey, I guess peanuts are not nuts, are they?

No peanuts in those nuts. And as you say peanuts aren't nuts. They're peas.

As has been said, peanuts (unlike nuts) can give severe allergic reactions (even death) from exposure to dust. Nuts need to actually be ingested. So it's probably safer to skip the peanuts. Besides they're rather unhealthy  Wink
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

PHLBOS

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:53 am

One WN flight I was on, the F/A served us the usual peanuts and then later served us w/a bag of pretzels.

On most WN flights I've been on (all my WN flights were short-haul) the F/As would usually serve peanuts unless requested otherwise; pretzels being the usual substitute.

TZ (& C8 when it existed) served a bag of honey roasted peanuts on their flights.

Most other carriers, I've been on recently (CO, DL, FL, F9, NW, US, XJ, Pinnacle), the closest thing to nuts/peanuts they would serve usually would be in the form of either a candy bar or a granola bar.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

brokenrecord

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:25 am

I always get one bag of Cape Cod potato chips and one bag of pretzels on my US Airways flights.

One thing I like on Delta over US is the Swiss cheese crackers. Those are yummy.

zrs70

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:37 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 3):
What ever happened to those days when 30 minutes after take-off the F/As would bring you your drinks and your choice of steak or chicken and you would relax while you ate your steak and salad while enjoying a good movie. I miss those days.

I miss them too. But when you pay $99 to fly LAX-JFK, you should expect to give up perks!
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

MGASJO

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:40 am

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 15):
We do not serve Peanuts at all

Who would "We" be?
C208B

khenleydia

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:40 am

You know, on my recent flight from SLC to IAD on Delta, they mentioned all the options, including peanuts and then when they were handing them out, they said they were informed they COULDN'T give the peanuts out. I never got around to asking why. I didn't want them anyway, but I was certainly curious why they COULDN'T give them out.

Thoughts? Anyone know why they would do that?

KhenleyDIA
Why sit at home and do nothing when you can travel the world.

planesailing

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:21 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 5):

So what happens if I buy my peanuts before the flight and eat them on the plane?

How come people have suddenly become hyperallergic to nuts? My mum has eaten them all her life and now finds she has an allergy.

Starlionblue

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting Planesailing (Reply 23):

So what happens if I buy my peanuts before the flight and eat them on the plane?

One bag, probably not a problem for most people. 100 bags=bad Feng Shui.

How come people have suddenly become hyperallergic to nuts? My mum has eaten them all her life and now finds she has an allergy.

Allergies can and do come and go in life.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

skyhigh777

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:27 am

I LOVE peanuts!!!!!!!!!!! Delicious....out with pretzels!
Prepare for take-off.

akelley728

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:31 am

Quoting KhenleyDIA (Reply 22):
they said they were informed they COULDN'T give the peanuts out. I never got around to asking why. I didn't want them anyway, but I was certainly curious why they COULDN'T give them out.

There probably was a passenger on the plane that had peanut allergies. As Luvfa said:

Quoting Luvfa (Reply 8):
If someone has a peanut dust allergy they can let Res know and we won't serve any peanuts.

Most US airlines do this. I do appreciate this policy, because my older daughter has a life threatening allergy to peanuts. Not having to worry about peanuts being served puts our mind at ease a bit. Of course if you have a passenger like this:

If this person was seated near us, I would simply ask that person to please put their peanuts away, explaining that my daughter has an allergy. We've never had a problem with it, most people are understanding.