TUNisia
Topic Author

Airlines Stricken By Cancellations & Lack Of Fuel

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:17 pm

The airline industry felt the brunt of Hurricane Katrina yesterday, with some airports running low on jet fuel and carriers canceling hundreds of flights. Meanwhile, Wall Street feared that the financial problems of the sickest airlines could grow worse.

The industry's trade group, the Air Transport Association, said the nation's supply of jet fuel had been cut 13 percent because of damage to refineries on the Gulf Coast.

The association arranged for supplies of jet fuel to be shipped by air tanker to airports in Charlotte, N.C., and Fort Myers and West Palm Beach in Florida, where supplies had dwindled, the group's chief economist, John Heimlich, said yesterday.

(excerpt)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/31/business/31air.html
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

OPNLguy

RE: Airlines Stricken By Cancellations & Lack Of Fuel

Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:07 pm

Quoting TUNisia (Thread starter):
The association arranged for supplies of jet fuel to be shipped by air tanker to airports in Charlotte, N.C., and Fort Myers and West Palm Beach in Florida, where supplies had dwindled, the group's chief economist, John Heimlich, said yesterday.

I find myself wondering exactly what an "air tanker" is...

Now, most airlines (mine included) are "tankering" extra fuel on sceduled flights headed to places with shortages so as to minimize or even eliminate fueling at the airport with the constrained supply. I suspect that's that the article meant to say...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.