Baexecutive
Topic Author

Let Down By BA

Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:04 pm

I went to New York last week with BA travelling on Club world only to be let down by the lack of catering and usual extra's that I am normally privy to. I wondered if anyone else has complained to the airline re this and if any compensation has been forthcoming?

Regards

J

garpd

RE: Let Down By BA

Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:20 pm

Quoting Baexecutive (Thread starter):
I went to New York last week with BA travelling on Club world only to be let down by the lack of catering and usual extra's that I am normally privy to. I wondered if anyone else has complained to the airline re this and if any compensation has been forthcoming?

I guess you were on Mars when BA notified everyone that due to a strike they would be unable to provide catering. It was in the newspapers, Tv news... everywhere!
You should have been given vouchers that you have let you purchase food in the terminal which you were then permitted to bring aboard.

I think thats more than reasonable.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Baexecutive
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:06 am

I don't think I was on Mars however maybe the BA call centre is based there as I was repeatedly promised a 'full' service by my travel date. Yes I was given vouchers however If I had wanted to eat in Macdonalds then I would have saved my £4000 and flew economy!

My issue is the fact that I was constantly re-assured that a full service would be resumed therefore I kept my booking in good faith only to be let down by a company I used to regard very highly.

If you think that giving customers vouchers is more than reasonable for the service level that I received then I would love to see what your idea of poor standards are!

Baexecutive
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:23 am

Thanks for that, just trying to make a point that too many times when a service issue comes up we 'British' tend to grin and bear it rather than complain.

J

lhrmaccoll

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:28 am

Its nice to see some people seem to agree.
Maybe everyone could try to keep irrational things that they wish to say to themselves.....

speedbirdegjj

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:28 am

At the end of the day th airline got you to where you wanted to be. Its no secret the problems that the airline has encountered over the last two weeks nad everyone is really trying hard to bring things back to the levels our passengers rightfully expect.

So can you clairfy for me, that a) What route and Dates did you travel, b) you were totally in the dark about recent events?? c) what exectly did you recieve and what didn't you.

I would be interested to know. With regards to compensation, you might be better off putting your feelings in a letter to customer relations instead of posting a BA bashing thread on here.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 am

The problem was, you were given food vouchers and with the exception of catering, the flight wasn't late (or if it was you didn't say so) and you still had a C class seat, fast track facilities, lounge access etc, so in terms of compensation, they might give you a few air miles, but I doubt anything in cash. I am awaiting to outcome of a similar complaint from a Fisrt class pax. As others have said ... it wasn't exactly a secret that food might be a problem.

Next time start your journey from Portugal and save yourself more than half what you paid for the journey by the way!!
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

LeonB1985

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:33 am

Quoting Ruirui (Reply 8):
due to a bunch of militant Indians who have succumbed to left wing trade unionism of pre Thatcher days. Before they bring this country further into disrepute, perhaps BA could offer them a one way ticket to where they originally came from, and go back to preparing their own meals..

I don't think it's a good idea to be making comments like this, really...

I'm sure that a considerable number of (British) forum members wouldn't want to do the work GateGourmet staff are employed to do, especially with poor pay and conditions.

[Edited 2005-08-31 17:43:30]

[Edited 2005-08-31 17:44:05]
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

speedbirdegjj

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:37 am

BA's handling of this situation has not been good

I think under the circumstances it could have been far worse, in what way were your effected by this mate, or were you too busy sitting at your computer spouting ignorant shit like this at the time, when an awful lot of people were doing their best to rectify a bad situation??

KLMA330

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:38 am

I'm sure British Airways is not happy with this.

If I was a British Airways cabin employee, working the Club/First cabins, I'd be embarrassed by the fact my company can't provide a product that has such a great reputation. I would feel apologetic, and try to do everything in my power to compensate. Having flown BA many times, and having seen how their staff operate, I'm sure this is what's on alot of their minds... IMHO

Baexecutive
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:42 am

Actually the flight was delayed outbound and inbound resulting in a missed connection to Glasgow, also BA lost my bags on the return flight. As I said before I knew about the problems the airline was having but was re-assured by staff that this would be rectified by time of travel.

I have in fact submitted a complaint letter but if you read my original statement I was asking if anyone else has had any likewise experience with BA on this subject I was not on to 'bash' the airline in any way, simply discussing my experience.

cornish

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:46 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 14):
If I was a British Airways cabin employee, working the Club/First cabins, I'd be embarrassed by the fact my company can't provide a product that has such a great reputation. I would feel apologetic, and try to do everything in my power to compensate. Having flown BA many times, and having seen how their staff operate, I'm sure this is what's on alot of their minds... IMHO

Well as BAexecutive lists his occupation as Cabin Crew Member he would certainly be sympathetic to the situation the BA cabin crew were in on his flight. As an airline employee he would also be very understanding that these things sometimes do happen - certainly he should be more understanding than an average passenger off the street.

I'm assuming of course he isn't a BA cabin crew member - otherwise he'd be on a very cheap ticket anyway, so not really to expect compensation.

If he's not BA, then I wonder why he is flying and complaining about a rival, rather than taking a cheap industry ticket on one of his partner airlines.....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

BestWestern

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:48 am

My BA flight was cancelled, and I was compensated with 50,000 BA miles.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

speedbirdegjj

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:51 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 17):
Well as BAexecutive lists his occupation as Cabin Crew Member he would certainly be sympathetic to the situation the BA cabin crew were in on his flight. As an airline employee he would also be very understanding that these things sometimes do happen - certainly he should be more understanding than an average passenger off the street.

I'm assuming of course he isn't a BA cabin crew member - otherwise he'd be on a very cheap ticket anyway, so not really to expect compensation.

If he's not BA, then I wonder why he is flying and complaining about a rival, rather than taking a cheap industry ticket on one of his partner airlines.....

Thankyou Cornish, I had noticed this and thought the same, however i didn't want to detract from the point i was making. As i understand all Long Haul departures ex LHR had catering and ammenity kits on board from last monday so think baexecutive has either got his dates wrong or ........

would still be interested to know the routing and dates of travel

FlyCaledonian

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:58 am

If you visit ba.com you'll see you can get the latest information on catering, and BA are not providing a standard service, as this extract shows: -

Our on-board catering situation is gradually improving, however we are currently unable to offer the standard of service that you expect from us. Our in-flight-entertainment is available in all cabins, but please see below for cabin specific catering information.

FIRST and Club World:

A hot meal service is now available on all long-haul flights to and from Heathrow. For customers travelling in our FIRST and Club World cabins we have a choice of three premium main courses. However this will be served on a World Traveller-style tray. A limited bar service is available with wine, beer and bottled water available on all long-haul flights. For the second meal service a cold deli-box will be available, either afternoon tea or breakfast, as appropriate depending on the time of your flight. Washbags, pillows and blankets are available on-board as usual. Also sleeper suits and duvets continue to be available in our FIRST cabins.

Customers are encouraged to take advantage of the increased levels of catering provided in our Heathrow lounges. Additionally meal vouchers will be available before flying from Heathrow for FIRST passengers and Club World passengers.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Baexecutive
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:59 am

Yes I am Cabin Crew however my company does not fly transatlantic and has no reciprocal agreements with BA regarding 'cheap tickets'. At no time did I mention anything to do with the cabin crew on my flights as they were as usual excellent and in fact handled the situation with good humour, my grievance for the THIRD time is with the way BA handled it at HQ level, If I had been told 'no we have no catering, duty free, amenity kits, sleeper suits, then I would have travelled with another operator the fact is I was told otherwise.

The fact that I work in the industry does not exempt me from making complaints or expecting service levels comparable with the rest of the flying public!

speedbirdegjj

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:04 am

Is the dates and routing a secret then??......

garpd

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:08 am

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 15):
also BA lost my bags on the return flight.

respectfully, I must correct you on that.
The Baggage handlers lost your bag. Not BA. Its doesn't help your situation either way I know, but if you are indeed Cabin crew, you should be more than aware of this.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Toulouse

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:10 am

What a thread!!!!!!!!!!!! From what I can see, Baexecutive posed a fairly understandable question which to many of you has been more like a red cape to a bull...
Long live Aer Lingus!

speedbirdegjj

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 22):
At no time did I mention anything to do with the cabin crew on my flights as they were as usual excellent and in fact handled the situation with good humour

Thats good to hear.

my grievance for the THIRD time is with the way BA handled it at HQ level

Give them chance, you only travelled at some point 'last week' it wouldnt take a genius to appreciate the volume of letter CR have recieved these past weeks!

If I had been told 'no we have no catering, duty free, amenity kits, sleeper suits, then I would have travelled with another operator the fact is I was told otherwise

I find this hard to believe, what exactly were you told? and when?, incidently British Airways only provide 'sleeper suits' in first and not in Club World

The fact that I work in the industry does not exempt me from making complaints or expecting service levels comparable with the rest of the flying public!

No i doesn't you're quite right

garpd

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 2):
Yes I was given vouchers however If I had wanted to eat in Macdonalds

Now, I do not know for sure, but I would be very surprised to find that these vouchers limited you to just MacDonalds meals.
I have a friend who travels BA every week in Business class to and from New York. He was well aware of the catering issue and has been receiving vouchers with which he has been able to purchase "Very nice sandwiches and cold food" in his own words.
Also, he has bought some food with the vouchers which the Flight attendants have only been too happy to reheat for him in the galley ovens.

I think, under the circumstances, you realy could not expect anything more.

[Edited 2005-08-31 18:32:40]
arpdesign.wordpress.com

FlyCaledonian

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:23 am

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 21):
Customers are encouraged to take advantage of the increased levels of catering provided in our Heathrow lounges. Additionally meal vouchers will be available before flying from Heathrow for FIRST passengers and Club World passengers.

To quote the extract from BA's own website again, not only have BA been offering vouchers but in the Lounges they have been offering enhanced catering since the dispute started. Who exactly told you a normal service was in operation, when BA seem to be plastering it everywhere that while flights are normal, service is not?
Let's Go British Caledonian!

ARGinLON

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:32 am

I don't think I was on Mars however maybe the BA call centre is based there as I was repeatedly promised a 'full' service by my travel date. Yes I was given vouchers however If I had wanted to eat in Macdonalds then I would have saved my £4000 and flew economy!

Yes I am Cabin Crew however my company does not fly transatlantic and has no reciprocal agreements with BA regarding 'cheap tickets'.

Are you cabin crew? And you spent £4,000 on a ticket?????

carduelis

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:36 am

Understanderble question . . . ?

I totally agree with response #1 - where have you been?

Who told you everything was OK?

What were your dates of travel?

What were you actually given at check-in?

What were you advised at check-in?

The same questions again for the return flight.

Are your bags still 'lost'?

What did you think of the new 'softer' Club World Sleeper Seats?
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

fbgdavidson

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:26 am

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 29):
Are you cabin crew? And you spent £4,000 on a ticket?????

That is beside the point....who cares? My question is does Baexecutive really value the Club World meals at £4000 a return trip  Wink

Quoting Piedmontbrat (Reply 3):
You know...complaining about your lack of first class service on a plane ride seems to be very trite and selfish in light of the catastrophy along the US Gulf Coast.

I guess this is Part 2. I took a load of flak for saying I'd be disheartened if I don't get full service in First next month because people in Africa are starving. Surely as a 36-45yr old you can rationalise that the situation Baexecutive is in no way related to Katrina.

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 28):
Who exactly told you a normal service was in operation, when BA seem to be plastering it everywhere that while flights are normal, service is not?

Phone the Executive Club and ask them. I regularly post on Flyertalk and a number of people flying F and J have been given wrong information over the phone and been told a full bar service is up and running.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

GDB

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:43 am

Piemountbrat, would you have objected to this post at the time of the far worse Asian tsunami, or do only American lives and property count for anything?
(Don't bother, I suspect we already know the answer).

As for the (reasonable) question, be aware you might not be the only person dealing with CR, I suspect they are very, very busy at the moment.

lhrmaccoll

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:09 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 32):

For that, buddy, you are on my respected list.
You summed up my main pet hate in one!
Alex

AEROFAN

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:24 am

you should have travelled on Virgin Atlantic. Many BA passengers did and are now happier for it i'm sure

col

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:34 am

It seems to be taking BA a long time to sort this out. Why don't they use the same caterers as VS?

GDB

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:46 am

GG are a huge operation, the only one at LHR that can supply BA.
The VS operation at LHR is a fraction of the size of the BA one.
BA have several hundred flights per day.

garpd

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:47 am

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 34):
you should have travelled on Virgin Atlantic. Many BA passengers did and are now happier for it i'm sure

I'd like to see the information that brought you to this conclusion.

[Edited 2005-08-31 20:49:11]
arpdesign.wordpress.com

trekster

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:52 am

Quoting Col (Reply 35):
Why don't they use the same caterers as VS

It gonna be a bit hard to transfer smoothly all our catering requirements to another company. Look at the number of flts we have each day, i doubt any company at LHR at the moment coul dhandle all our operation's. It a HUGE task.

went to New York last week with BA travelling on Club world only to be let down by the lack of catering and usual extra's that I am normally privy to

BA.COM has been updating passengers ont he cabin service, and i know over the weekend it still said service on international flts was limited and that Vouchers etc were being offered. If you were in Club, why did you not partake in the Lounge food. I heard A LOT of compliments about the service in there from a lot of passengers the past 2 days.

Just wondering as well, whop do you work for as cabin crew. I dont think i know any that can afford £4000 for a seat on a plane??

]
Where does the time go???

Richard28

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:54 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 32):
Piemountbrat, would you have objected to this post at the time of the far worse Asian tsunami, or do only American lives and property count for anything?

Which is probably why the 900+ killed in Baghdad today was also not in his rant.

Back to topic, Id definately drop a line to BA, thats out of order if they promised you full service.

whitehatter

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:07 am

Yes I am Cabin Crew however my company does not fly transatlantic and has no reciprocal agreements with BA regarding 'cheap tickets'. At no time did I mention anything to do with the cabin crew on my flights as they were as usual excellent and in fact handled the situation with good humour, my grievance for the THIRD time is with the way BA handled it at HQ level, If I had been told 'no we have no catering, duty free, amenity kits, sleeper suits, then I would have travelled with another operator the fact is I was told otherwise.

Level headed type of post alert...

Yes you do have a grievance. But DON'T be tempted to start doing the "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" bit, be as straightforward with BA Customer Service as you would expect them to be.

In the situation BA has been dragged into, they are sweeping up the mess that someone else is causing. Accept that as a fact and proceed from there. When I've dealt with BA in the past I've foud them receptive to customers who are cool and straightforward in their complaints and requests, and often go out of their way to at least try and make amends.

BA are having a tough time and their supply chain is at the moment subject to disruption, so cut them a bit of slack here. After all it isn't their fault this dispute has blown up the way it has. The whole point of BA's premium offering is that they WANT to provide the service as advertised, and they will be hurting for many reasons that they have let you down.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

pmg1704

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:18 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 32):

GDB, the Brat made a sad/angry/snotty comment, true. But I think you should be clear that you do understand how someone might react more strongly when a tragedy happens close to home, (i.e. in one's own country,) than in a far away place. It's not nationalism, it's familiarity.

CrossChecked

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:52 am

I had wanted to eat in Macdonalds then I would have saved my £4000 and flew economy!

Yeah. The food is why you chose to fly Club......

:sigh:
Cabin crew, doors to manual and cross check.

whitehatter

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:58 am

Quoting Pmg1704 (Reply 41):
GDB, the Brat made a sad/angry/snotty comment, true. But I think you should be clear that you do understand how someone might react more strongly when a tragedy happens close to home, (i.e. in one's own country,) than in a far away place. It's not nationalism, it's familiarity.

Did you have Thais or Brits hijacking threads when they had their problems?

The ape-brained Brat was well out of order and hijacked an aviation thread because he thought the entire world needed a spanking for daring to be thinking or discussing something else. This is an aviation forum, we discuss aviation here. What happened in the USA is off topic in this thread and hijacking discussions is not the right way to deal with that particular story.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

garpd

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:01 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 43):
The ape-brained Brat was well out of order and hijacked an aviation thread because he thought the entire world needed a spanking for daring to be thinking or discussing something else.

HEAR HEAR!!
arpdesign.wordpress.com

col

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:15 am

Just a little lighthearted comment:

It is nice to see that the BA lost luggage issues are still regular at LHR!

garpd

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:20 am

Quoting Col (Reply 45):

It is nice to see that the BA lost luggage issues are still regular at LHR!

Except the luggage was lost on his inbound leg. In other words, some yank screwed up  Silly
arpdesign.wordpress.com

col

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:28 am

GARPD,

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 15):
Actually the flight was delayed outbound and inbound resulting in a missed connection to Glasgow, also BA lost my bags on the return flight.

I read this as JFK-LHR-GLA. He did not receive his bags at GLA. My guess is that they were lost between T4 and T1. We screw up many times, but not this time.  bigthumbsup 

A340Driver

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:34 am

A perfectly acceptable complaint, you should write in. I did a similar thing a couple of years ago because they served the same unidentifiable food (no menus) in Club World on two consecutive sectors from LHR to BKK and again to SYD. I got 10,000 BA Miles.

Also, fly with Virgin in the future. You get a limo, a massage and an on-board bar as well as a bigger bed and food! Why people are suggesting its fine to eat at McDonald's before you board is beyond me. I guess it's the Executive Club trap, you have to fly with them to keep your tier level that is set way higher than everybody else.

Remember this is partly Virgin's fault. They switched from Gate Gourmet to LSG on June 1st this year, creating the need for redundancies at Gate Gourmet.

garpd

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:37 am

Quoting A340Driver (Reply 48):
Why people are suggesting its fine to eat at McDonald's before you board is beyond me.

No one has suggested this.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

fbgdavidson

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:49 am

Quoting A340Driver (Reply 48):
Also, fly with Virgin in the future. You get a limo, a massage and an on-board bar as well as a bigger bed and food! Why people are suggesting its fine to eat at McDonald's before you board is beyond me.

Limo only on full fare J class tickets.

Massage only if you can get the treatment booked, apparently this is tough. Alternatively get one before you fly with BA in the Molton Brown Spa  Wink (Although I do love the VS ads 'BA doesn't give a shiatsu' on NYC cabs  Big grin

From what I have seen and heard the food on Virgin is pretty poor, it is given that it is better than BA's current offerings in F and J!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Richard28

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:57 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 50):
Limo only on full fare J class tickets.

incorrect, available on J and D class fares.

Only discounted Z class fares do not get limo service.

Massage only if you can get the treatment booked, apparently this is tough. Alternatively get one before you fly with BA in the Molton Brown Spa Wink (Although I do love the VS ads 'BA doesn't give a shiatsu' on NYC cabs Big grin

Incorrect again!

You have option of booking treatment, or you can turn up and get it on the day - I've never had a problem with sorting it on the day.

Also, you do not need to book the treatment at 35,000 ft, the beauty therapist will sort this for you whilst sipping champagne prior to take off!

From what I have seen and heard the food on Virgin is pretty poor, it is given that it is better than BA's current offerings in F and J!

Cant compare food with BA - sorry  Wink

fbgdavidson

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:32 am

Quoting Richard28 (Reply 51):
incorrect, available on J and D class fares.

I stand corrected.

Quoting Richard28 (Reply 51):
You have option of booking treatment, or you can turn up and get it on the day - I've never had a problem with sorting it on the day.

Also, you do not need to book the treatment at 35,000 ft, the beauty therapist will sort this for you whilst sipping champagne prior to take off!

Should have made myself more clear, I was referring to the mid-flight one. I'd heard from a VS flying friend that getting midflight treatments was tough because everyone fights over it...don't shoot the messenger! While VS is good in its own way I try to avoid it....done ok so far!  Silly

soups

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:58 am

I went to New York last week with BA travelling on Club world only to be let down by the lack of catering and usual extra's that I am normally privy t

My dad flew business on LHR-ACC segment he said worse flight he ever been, same as flying economy! no flat beds his seat was faulty
However on the ACC-LHR He loved their service.
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

ChiGB1973

Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:12 am

I would guess closer to 21 than to 25.

TWA902fly

Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:12 am

Quoting Piedmontbrat (Reply 3):
You know...complaining about your lack of first class service on a plane ride seems to be very trite and selfish in light of the catastrophy along the US Gulf Coast.

This is the type of quote that makes me embarrased to have an american flag next to my user name, and by the way on december 28 2004... right after thousands of people died in the tsunami in the indian ocean, you were online paying money to join this website as a first-class member,could have used that money and donated it to someone who needed it more than having an ad-free access to your hobby website... followed directly by advising USAirways to close its PHL hub, i didnt see anyone get mad at you for being insensitive to that world tragedy... oh wait that wasn't in america so it doesnt matter right?

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

BritPilot777

Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:21 am

.BA's handling of this situation has not been good, and to think that millions of pounds have been wasted due to a bunch of militant Indians who have succumbed to left wing trade unionism of pre Thatcher days. Before they bring this country further into disrepute, perhaps BA could offer them a one way ticket to where they originally came from, and go back to preparing their own meals..

Excuse me?! Being an Indian and one who loves this country more than anything I am really pissed off by what the hell you just said! What the hell difference does it make that they are Indian??? Would your comments have been the same if it was an all white workforce that this happened to, or do you think they wouldn't have reacted this way and would have been sacked made their way home and not been angry!

Lets get one thing straight, It is not the "militant Indians" who have caused this problem, it's GateGourmet who sacked them.

perhaps BA could offer them a one way ticket to where they originally came from, and go back to preparing their own meals..

I have lived here since I was born over 21 years now, and that is the single most racist thing I have ever heard anyone say. Dude, I really hope you enjoy being known as the A.net Asshole by most on here who agree with me that those comments are disgusting and don't belong anywhere here on A.net or in this Country!

BP777

BTW why has no one else other than LeonB1985 found these comments as disgusting as me?!
Forever Flight