KALB
Topic Author

Southwest Begins ALB Service May 7

Sun May 07, 2000 10:46 am

Southwest begins service to and from Albany International Airport tomorrow with nonstop service to BWI (x7), MCO (x2), and LAS (X1). The LAS flight continues on to LAX, so for the first time there is same plane service ALB-LAX. I wonder if USAirways is shaking in their boots?

KALB
Topic Author

RE: Southwest Begins ALB Service May 7

Mon May 08, 2000 9:54 am

I was plane spotting at KALB today when SW 1630 arrived from BWI at 1250EST (on-time) It arrived on a visual approach to RWY 1, a 737-500 making a great cross-wind landing with winds at 320 at 14 knots. Welcome aboard Southwest. Darn, I forgot the camera.

AmtrakGuy

Mon May 08, 2000 9:57 am

About time!!!! Two weeks ago, I flew on United Express from IAD to Albany for 750.00 rt!!!!! The fare are the same from BWI on US Express.

Next I hope SWA will fly to Rochester, NY so I can visit my Alma Mater and all my friends......

Then I can fly out of National, IAD, or BWI on any airlines to Albany and Rochester.

Dave

KALB
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2000 10:03 am

No rumors here, but I wouldn't be surprised if SW made ROC a new destination. They could pick up SYR and BUF passengers as well as the rest of western NY. Local TV news interviewed a SW passenger bound for MCO who drove up from Newburgh (Stewart Int. Airport) because SW beat Midway's Fare to MCO by $100.

D L X

Southwest And Rochester

Mon May 08, 2000 10:24 am

i would be quite surprised if SW flies there. Rochester is the snowiest city in the US. How do they handle it up there? When there are snowstorms, are there delays? Southwest likes delay-free airports and avoids delay prone ones.

KALB
Topic Author

RE: Southwest And Rochester

Mon May 08, 2000 10:28 am

Several of SW's destinations can be very snowy: Midway, DTW, CLE, ALB. I imagine MHT gets its fair share, especially during a winter Nor'easter.

KROC

SWA@ROC

Mon May 08, 2000 1:19 pm

While military commitments have taken me away from home, I keep up to date through family and friends back home in Rochester. A little over a year ago, I heard that Southwest was planning on serving ROC, but that has not materialized. As far as how Rochester handles the snow, I feel they handle it well. With much experience in keeping the runways open, I see no real problems unless the snowstorm is horrendous. In Jan. 1999, I flew to Rochester from Korea via Chicago. Record snowfall ammounts were being recorded at this time, and my flight from ORD to ROC was diverted to Buffalo of all places, and Rochester was shut down. Within 30 minutes, the Airport was re-opened and fully operational, and apon landing everything looked to be in top working order. You can't keep up with the weather all the time, but Rochestatrians have plenty of experience in attempting to. Personally, I think it would be a great move for Southwest to serve ALB, SYR, ROC and BUF. God knows in Rochester, we need a break from the high fares!

Mon May 08, 2000 11:25 pm

Hi KALB, wonder if Southwest will hurt MetroJet & Delta Express bigtime on the ALB to MCO route.

KALB
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2000 12:12 am

I wonder that too, TEDSKI. Aren't Metrojet and Delta Express down to one departure each daily? Also if I had a choice between a 737-600 and an old 737-200, I'll take the NG. I wonder if USAirways will upgrade its BWI-ALB service from a Dash7 to a jet, since SWA offers all jet?

OPNLguy

DLX

Tue May 09, 2000 12:42 am

D L X wrote:
-------------------------------
i would be quite surprised if SW flies there. Rochester is the snowiest city in the US. How do they handle it up there? When there are snowstorms, are there delays? Southwest likes delay-free airports and avoids delay prone ones.
-------------------------------

Not to quibble, but there's no such animal as a "delay-free" airport, as a wide variety of variables (weather, ATC, etc.) will inevitably cause some delays once in awhile.

SWA does indeed attempt to avoid "delay-PRONE" airports, where delays are far more frequent in their frequency, and duration., often even on days with 8good* weather. One should never say never, but I think that's why you'll never see SWA at ORD, LGA, EWR. JFK, or ATL, and why SWA quit DEN Stapleton service back in the 1980s.

My guess is that BUF/ROC/SYR are still possibilities for the future, and that any SWA stations there will be suitably equipped.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Tue May 09, 2000 1:24 am

Hi KALB again, at noontime I was watching the news on channel 13 WNYT, and they showed footage from ALB of a Southwest jet bound for Las Vegas.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos