crownvic

Katrina: Any Help Flown In From Other Countries?

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:41 am

I was just wondering, other than the USSR flying in 2 IL76's to Baton Rouge LA, Has any other country offered to fly in help on their own large aircraft or chartered aircraft..The US always helps everyone else out whenever a natural disaster occurs...The damage is catastrophic and widespread and it is now believed that thousands are dead...

afay1

RE: Katrina: Any Help Flown In From Other Countries?

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:19 am

As an aside, the USSR does not exist, and the US usually refuses help from other countries, especially when it comes to natural disasters. The refusal to use IL76 water bombers is a particularly egregious example...

centrair

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:46 am

So I guess aid from other countries is not being flown in.

If offered the U.S., IMO, will not take it but say thank you. I would think that at this time any help would be thankful.

If aid were to be flown in, it would not be on an AF777 or anything like that. They would be flown to a high ground airport in cargo planes and then redistributed. But many U.S. relief organizations do not accept food or clothing from other countries. Reason is simple...health and safety. They accept money so that the supplies that is truely needed can be acquired.

If another country were to send relief workers it would be odd. People would precieve it as "Why can't we take care of ourselves?"

So to close this thread...we will not see any relief flights from other countries.
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

sebring

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:53 am

Canada has offered to provide the US with whatever assistance is required, and Prime Minister Martin is scheduled to discuss the offer by phone with President Bush on Thursday. Air Canada has said it will fly aid officials with the Canadian Red Cross to the affected area, but that's probably just a single RJ or Jetz charter. Most physical aid Canada might deliver will be moved by truck, and electric utility workers will drive down in their trucks to help with the restoration of electricity as they did during the Florida hurricanes last year.

BostonGuy

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:13 pm

I'd think France would be interested in flying in help.

(I bolded that "addition" so the censor wouldn't strike again).

I haven't heard of anyting about that, however. Sigh.

VirginFlyer

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:30 pm

This thread was started with the intention of talking about which aircraft are flying in from other countries to help with the Hurricane Katrina aid effort.

I have had to remove a number of off-topic replies from this thread. If you want to discuss which countries will or won't, should or shouldn't be giving aid, that is fine, but please use the Non-Aviation Forum.

Reiterating, this thread is for discussing what aircraft will fly in from other countries, not for discussing the aid effort in general. Please keep it on topic - it should be an interesting thread as the aid effort continues.

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

BostonGuy

Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:58 pm

Quoting Crownvic (Thread starter):
Has any other country offered to fly in help on their own large aircraft or chartered aircraft...?

That was the question that started the thread and the only question the thread poster started.

Quoting VirginFlyer (Reply 5):
This thread was started with the intention of talking about which aircraft are flying in from other countries to help with the Hurricane Katrina aid effort.

Ummm.... you got it wrong. This thread is solely about which countries have offered to help using large aircraft or chartered aircraft . And that question is sandwiched between two observations: The USSR [sic] will be flying in 2 large aircraft and the US always helps others [no large aircraft criteria for that observation].

I realize this is an international forum, and that not all members have a grasp of the intracacies of English grammar, so I'll point out that the only question asked related to "offers", not actually flights that are scheduled as you claim and is not restricted to large aircraft.

Knowing that the French government has been providing assistance to Louisiana public schools for the past couple of decades I naturally commented that I thought France (which has the largest aircraft of all in its backyard) might be interested.

Of course, if Crownvic does intend for this thread to be solely about large aircraft already scheduled to fly in as you claim, then perhaps he can re-write his question so that it will actually mean that.

PanHAM

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:08 pm

Help is offered by the German Government, such as water purification plants which then would be flown in of course. i guess he Medevac plane is not needed as there seem to be no German citizens affected, at least not critically injured.

It is up to the US to accept that. IMHO, with the massive ressources a country like the US has, flying a water purification plant on an Il76 down south would be a waste of money (unless there would be empty space available on a C17 from Ramstein AB). A donation of money would be more appropriate.
powered by Eierlikör

TGV

RE: Katrina: Any Help Flown In From Other Countrie

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:46 pm

Quoting BostonGuy (Reply 4):
I'd think France would be interested in flying in help.

(I bolded that "addition" so the censor wouldn't strike again).

I haven't heard of anyting about that, however. Sigh.

Just heard on a French radio that in fact France has proposed to fly help from the French Antilles.

They are not so far from the affected area, so no need for very large planes.

But as mentioned above we have to see if this help will be accepted.
Avoid 777 with 3-4-3 config in Y ! They are real sardine cans. (AF/KL for example)

BostonGuy

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:55 pm

Quoting TGV (Reply 8):
Just heard on a French radio that in fact France has proposed to fly help from the French Antilles.

But as mentioned above we have to see if this help will be accepted.

That is great news, and will help tremendously!

LifelinerOne

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:58 pm

Just like I said in other threads, the Dutch were and are ready to sent KDC-10's with tents, food and medications. These supplies are stocked in case of an emergency somewhere around the globe. However, the FEMA said that it was capable of handling the case on their own.

The Dutch however, will be involved after the mess has been cleaned up. We are masters in water safety management and want to help out.

Cheers!  wave 
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

PanHAM

Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:50 pm

@all US useres here - I can only recommend to accept the Dutch offer, that's the best help you can get. I'm in the Netherlands quite often and they get water from all sides and above and they do a damn good job at keeping their feet dry.
powered by Eierlikör

sebolino

Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:55 pm

Quoting BostonGuy (Reply 9):
That is great news, and will help tremendously!

And don't forget Poland !  Smile

N754PR

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:58 pm

I think most countries know that the USA does not ask or wait it TELLS people what they want or what they want them to do.

Apart from that I would assume the USA has everything they need to handle this disaster, what I cant understand is why was there was not water, mobile power units from the military etc being flown into areas around New Orleans BEFORE the Hurricane hit. Everyone knew this would happen if the storm hit and they knew it was a cat 4/5 storm.

Anyway, I just hope the military get in ASAP and get the idiots with guns and crap under control. Its very sad to see people just going wild because they can. Thats something Thailand, Sri Lanka, India etc did not see after their massive disaster in Dec.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

columbia107

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:13 am

Quoting N754PR (Reply 13):
what I cant understand is why was there was not water, mobile power units from the military etc being flown into areas around New Orleans BEFORE the Hurricane hit. Everyone knew this would happen if the storm hit and they knew it was a cat 4/5 storm.

Simple. Katrina would simply have blown it away. In addition, one cannot predict one hundred per cent, which direction a hurricane will take. It also highlights how little we can manage the forces of nature.
In God we trust

airbazar

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:41 am

Quoting Columbia107 (Reply 14):
Simple. Katrina would simply have blown it away. In addition, one cannot predict one hundred per cent, which direction a hurricane will take. It also highlights how little we can manage the forces of nature.

This will probably be deleted as it is not aviation related but I'll keep it simple. I can't feel too sorry for these people. They had plenty of warning that a huge storm was going to hit there, give or take a few dozen miles. In regards to foreign aid, I guess an offer is always the right thing to do but does the richest country in the World really need it?

BostonGuy

Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:39 am

I cant understand is why was there was not water, mobile power units from the military etc being flown into areas around New Orleans BEFORE the Hurricane hit.

The plan in advance of the hurricane was to evacuate the entire city. Why have water, power units, etc., in place in a city that was empty?

Alas, the people who've spent years planning evacuations didn't take into account the large number of poor people who simply had no way to get out.

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 15):
This will probably be deleted as it is not aviation related but I'll keep it simple. I can't feel too sorry for these people. They had plenty of warning that a huge storm was going to hit there, give or take a few dozen miles.

How exactly were the large number of people living below the poverty line supposed to evacuate? By car? Some had no car. For those who did they frequently couldn't afford to buy enough gas to get out of the way of the hurricane. Even the Super Dome being used as a shelter was was a last minute change when it became apparent that up to 50,000 people in New Orleans didn't evacuate because they had no way to get out.

There were many who could escape and chose not to, but how exactly do you think those living in poverty were supposed to get out?

I do hope that foreign offers to fly-in relief supplies are accepted. Many countries have unique capabilities that would go a long way in quickly alleviating the worst conditions.

2travel2know

Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:55 am

It's not that much in the "help flown in" category, but my guess is that very soon TA will be flying A320/A321 to an airport in the MSY area to offer transportation for those displaced centralamerican nationals who which to return to Centralamerica.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

707lvr

Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:23 am

The President's spokesman said today that assistance from abroad had been offered and would be gratefully accepted. FLOWN in and otherwise, I imagine.

This thread should be deleted anyway. It can't go anywhere but downhill.

ushermittwoch

Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:30 am

Well 707, that's great news and very surprising indeed. And you are wrong, since it couldn't get good from the get go, since some national pride issues, that are totally ridiculous were to come up (and in fact already did in the thread starter).
Some people just think that the US is the best at everything, which is clearly false. And what would have been a good idea, since New Orleans is BELOW sea level, is try to find a way of at least TRYING to evacuate the poor people in advance. Sure, it wouldn't have been easy but it could have been done, even by PLANE (to keep this an aviation related post). I am sure that ALL airlines, yes even CUBANA, would have offered to help (even if it's just for PR reasons).
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

airbazar

Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:41 am

Quoting BostonGuy (Reply 16):
How exactly were the large number of people living below the poverty line supposed to evacuate? By car? Some had no car.

That is why they were offered transportation to evacuate.

ATLFlyer323

Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:20 am

Quoting: Columbia107 (Reply 14):
This will probably be deleted as it is not aviation related but I'll keep it simple. I can't feel too sorry for these people. They had plenty of warning that a huge storm was going to hit there, give or take a few dozen miles. In regards to foreign aid, I guess an offer is always the right thing to do but does the richest country in the World really need it?

Not to try and make something out of nothing just asking a simple question, but isn't the US not really the richest country in the world? We have HUGE debts, and again jump in point but don't we give MANY countries millions of dollars every year just to give it? I don't understand that if it's true because it seems like were paying people to (help them of course) but also to be our friends...and I would say that it's not working if that's the intention. Anyways isn't Japan technically richer than the US?
Thanks,
Brandon
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

lijnden

Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:53 am

I know that FEMA does not want help right now from us Dutch and claims that they have everything under control (!).

What do they need:
They need oil! And lots of it before the whole rescue/recovery action comes to a complete stop. What is the status of the refineries near New Orleans? They belong to the most important energy sources of the USA. Not to mention the sugar industry (also a potential fuel)?
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

N766UA

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:03 am

water, mobile power units from the military etc being flown into areas around New Orleans BEFORE the Hurricane hit

From what I heard on the news there was pre-positioned help in N.O. I'm not sure exactly what it was but we did have stuff there and the hurricane simply blew it away too.
This Website Censors Me

MissedApproach

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:06 am

Quoting Sebring (Reply 3):

To amplify on that a bit, the Red Cross has been mentioned, but if drinking water is a problem the Army's DART (Disaster Aid Response Team) will most likely be sent.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Operations/DART/index_e.asp

Considering the size of their equipment, the state of the Air Forces' airlift fleet & the operational tempo, DART would most likely hitch a ride with someone else (again), either USAF or charter (IL-76 or AN-124). Road movement would not be timely enough to provide drinking water, at least not all the way from Canada.
Can you hear me now?

ushermittwoch

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:28 am

Maybe we will see a fast invasion of Venezuela now, since they have lots of oil and CNN conveniently listed Caracas on their table of places where you pay less for gas than in the US. 12 cents per gallon or so.
Anyway. My hopes are high that this will finally give some real incentive to fund hydrogen research and try to build up good infrastructure for non-fossil fuels, also for planes!  duck 
One can dream...

crownvic

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:52 am

I was primarily asking about the types of aircraft that would be flown in for relief from other countries...I did not want this to be a political boxing arena.

Desh

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:08 am

Quoting VirginFlyer (Reply 5):

I have had to remove a number of off-topic replies from this thread. If you want to discuss which countries will or won't, should or shouldn't be giving aid, that is fine, but please use the Non-Aviation Forum.

Reiterating, this thread is for discussing what aircraft will fly in from other countries, not for discussing the aid effort in general. Please keep it on topic - it should be an interesting thread as the aid effort continues.

V/F

Virgin Flyer - your id says you are a moderater - do you really believe this discussion belongs on this website ??? Can we please take this one off ??

Quoting 707lvr (Reply 18):
The President's spokesman said today that assistance from abroad had been offered and would be gratefully accepted. FLOWN in and otherwise, I imagine.

This thread should be deleted anyway. It can't go anywhere but downhill.

I agree 707lvr - this is going to be a plunge to the bottom than downhill ....  Smile

Prayers for those who did not survive, sympathy for those who did and happiness for people who learn whats most important to them in life in such situations....
"History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again." - Kurt Vonnegut

777D

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:51 am

Bush has done a terrible job on dealing with the aftermath of the hurricane. People are dieing, food is gone and from news reports equipment that would have been available are in Iraq. There is some military assistance however due to inept ability of Bush and his cabinet help is a day late and a lives lost.

I have not heard any countries offering help however it would be more than what Bush has done.

Nice to hear that Germany, Netherlands and France have offered. If the help was accepted, would it be military aircraft or commercial freighters? The Beluga from France? That would be neat.

vv701

Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:02 am

Clearly the relative wealth of the USA means that financial aid is not a priority. Despite the appalling remarks of the likes of Ushermittwoch (which amazed me) neither is the USA short of crude oil. It has an emergency strategic reserve. But with eight or more major oil refineries out of action because of Katrina it is already suffering from a shortage of refined oil - gas or petrol.

As a result twenty large tankers have already been provisionally reserved in the last two days to ship refined petroleum spirit to the USA from Europe if the European authorities agree to ship it.

Obviously you do not ship petrol / gas in aircraft. But in principal the same applies to many other essential items of which the US may have insufficient or the local supply may have been interrupted by Katrina. These supplies will need to be flown in or they will arrive too late. And with the disruption in the delta area around New Orleans to surface transport like the destruction of the bridges over which Interstate 10 passes, it is even conceivable that large transport aircraft from abroad will be needed to supplement the USAF efforts.

This is a major natural catastrophe that, like all such catastrophes hits the poor the hardest. Surely we can do better than make facetious remarks about the USA's wealth and invading Venezuela?

YULWinterSkies

RE: Katrina: Any Help Flown In From Other Countrie

Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:31 am

Quoting TGV (Reply 8):

You guys are just pissing me off with that "size matters" thing. Poor peoples' lives are in danger and what some of you think about is the size of the rescue airplanes... No more comment...

PS: this message is not addressed to you TGV, but rather to the guys you were responding to, whoever they were...
When I doubt... go running!

thehangarcat

Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:45 am

A WS 737-700 with Winglets left from YVR to LFT (Lafayette right?) carrying a team of Vancouver's Search and rescue team and already came back to YYC..

that's as far as I know with Charters from YYC.

Peace,
Get well, MSY.
If it Ain't Boeing, I ain't Going!

ushermittwoch

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:09 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 29):
This is a major natural catastrophe that, like all such catastrophes hits the poor the hardest. Surely we can do better than make facetious remarks about the USA's wealth and invading Venezuela?

I am just pointing out a possible scenario. As sad as it is, that has to be done and quite frankly an administration as incompetent as the current one will not be too shy about going into any kind of offensive to hide their shortcomings. And since there are not only oil wells, but also large quantities of petroleum and refineries available there.
What is appalling is the fact that people are dying and will be dying like flies soon if there is no "First World" type of dealing with a problematic situation.
There have been quite a few floods over here lately and luckily we were at least partly prepared, since we are aware of the dangers of living close to the water. Sadly there has not seemed to be any major investment of keeping the protective infrastructure as modern and well maintained as it should be. All I can say is that a 9 meter flood wave would not have caused any (major) damage in the Netherlands, since they are smart enough to keep themselves in shape, even if that raises the taxes for the local (or the whole population as it is in Germany). And a lot of the people that are still in the area can very well use money, not now when food and especially water are most important, but later when the insurance companies (which a lot of these people probably could not afford) will try to screw them as much as humanly possible.
Overall this is a very tragic event and seeing how the people are rioting and looting now is just awful but maybe some Americans should reflect on this behavior and think about why some people (have to) act this way!

And for the help: I doubt that Germany would send over our "great" Transall freighters. I am sure Lufthansa Cargo or any Russian/Ukrainian cargo airline with large aircraft will gladly take over any cargo offered to them (at a good rate).

AA7573E

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:21 am

Quoting Crownvic (Thread starter):
the USSR flying in 2 IL76's to Baton Rouge LA

That must of been one hell of a flight. The USSR has not existed for almost 20 years. Well done student of history.
See you up front!

crownvic

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:26 am

sorry AA7573E didnt mean to stir your student of history feathers. Lets share some creame chipped beef on toast sometime...

centrair

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:32 am

Quoting Crownvic (Reply 26):
I was primarily asking about the types of aircraft that would be flown in for relief from other countries

Here is what I have been thinking. (very aviation related)
If supplies is flown in from other countries I would think they will be flown into places like Memphis, Houston, or some other high ground airport with cargo facilities in a nearby state. But they might just look non-scheduled cargo flights in the end.

I think we might see some movement of C130s eventually taking supplies from these airports (sorting, inspection and distribution centers) to the Delta region. If as was said above Army DART were to be sent in, they might use a C-5 to move equipment and supplies.

So if any country gives supplies and the U.S. accepts it, just keep your eyes open in southern (unaffected) airports with cargo facilities for unique unscheduled cargo flights. Might be a real sight to see things unloaded from an MD11 and loaded onto a C130 in the same area (on american soil).

vv701

Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:38 am

Ushermittwoch is wrong again. The North Sea serge of 3.36m in 1953 resulted in 1,835 deaths in the Netherlands (and over 200 hear in the UK). That serge was only a little more than a third the height of the serge that hit New Orleans this week. His smugness and ignorance in the face of a catastrophe for many people is frankly sickening.

centrair

Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:49 am

This is not directly related to the main topic here.

I heard on CNN that MSY will be used for heavy lift ops. It sounds like supplies is being gathered in northern Mississippi, Southern Missouri, and Texas and then flown in by heavy lift (C-130 and C-5).

It could be possible that any foreign aid and supplies could go in and most likely would be 747F and MD11Fs. If they are not going directly into MSY look for them at Air Forces Bases and larger airports.

ushermittwoch

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:01 pm

Yeah, maybe because they learned from the past. New Orleans has been flodded before, as you should know.

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:
Dikes can be permanent earthworks or emergency constructions (often of sandbags) built hastily in a flood emergency. Also dikes were built to reclaim land from the sea. For instance, the Zuiderzee Works (North Sea Reclamation Works) in the Netherlands are an immense series of dikes built primarily to shorten the coast line and make it safer. This dike sytem goes further to the east and north via nearly the whole German coast up to Esbjerg in Denmark. The estuaries of the flatland rivers Rhine, Elbe, Ems, Weser and Eider are also protected from storm tides by dikes, which can be more than 9 m high.

And:
The Netherlands also (!!!) has some 13,000 km of boezem dikes, secondary dikes typically of 1.5 - 4 m high, and essential to the continued drainage of reclaimed land. The dikes are typically merely simple earth embankments, though 20% are constructed from peat; two collapses of boezem dikes in 2003 have prompted urgent investigation of the entire network.

And if you knew anything about me, you'd know that I feel very sorry for the people there and it makes me sick to see how the Federal Government (even more than others) is making the situation worse.

PanHAM

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:14 pm

Airports in the region that can take any aircraft up to An124s are Stennis in Miss which might be affected as well however, GPT has along runway but might still be closed, and Chenault (former AB) near Lake Charles.

Offers for help are out but so far not accepted. Hard to understand why so much time is wasted with all these people suffering..