chieft

Lusaka - Maindeck Cargo?

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:55 am

Which airlines are offering maindeck cargo capacity to/ from Luanda?

I remember an article saying that there is lots of perishable out of Lusaka. What is going into Zambia?

Thanks!
Aircraft are marginal costs with wings.

dc10bhx

RE: Lusaka - Maindeck Cargo?

Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:00 am

ET are showing 75F flights from ADD and NBO and DT are showing 74D availability. This is sourced from the OAG Cargo Guide.

With regards to LUN it used to be Agricultural equipment and mining equipment. The mining equipment used to go to the copper belt region.

Zambian Airways used to have freighters (operated by NAC and do not ask me what that stood for as it is about 13-14 years since they operated) from AMS into LUN. Dasair used to have flights into LUN as well. Originally using 70F and now D1F.

Hope this is of use to you.
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

chieft

Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:07 am

Thanks a lot.

Just saw a mistake from me. I only wanted to ask for Lusaka, the incoiming and outgoing flights / commodities.

But it is also interesting for me to learn about Luanda.
I assume nothing is going out from Angola...
Aircraft are marginal costs with wings.

CV580Freak

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:21 am

DAS Air Cargo have both destinations listed as scheduled with DC-10F's.
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

khenleydia

Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:56 am

In June I noticed a 747F came in to Lusaka. Came in empty, or so it appeared. I want to say it was Cargo Lux, but I can't remember now for certain. I just know that they have a 747 come in and after an hour of it sitting, it still hadn't been opened.

KhenleyDIA
Why sit at home and do nothing when you can travel the world.

blooBirdie

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:05 am

ChiefT,

Quoting ChiefT (Reply 2):
Just saw a mistake from me. I only wanted to ask for Lusaka, the incoiming and outgoing flights / commodities.

But it is also interesting for me to learn about Luanda.

LUN is Lusaka - LAD is Luanda....

lexer

Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:21 pm

I was in Lusaka recently and saw a presentation about cargo flights for the agricultural sector. I dont remember the exact list, but back in July it consisted of BA, Cargolux, DAS Air Cargo and SAA (737F I think). I saw a Cargolux 744F during my trip. I can try to dig up the presentation somewhere and confirm, no guarantuees though..

Sadly (these flights are important for the Zambian economy, predomoinantly the exports of flowers and vegetables), just that week BA announced they'd pull out their weekly cargo flight due to high fuel cost. I remember seeing an earlier thread on this particular topic.

PanHAM

Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:34 pm

Cargolux operastes twice weekly 744F's via NBO to MST and on to LUX, SAA 73F to JNB and DAS Air has it on the map as well. BA has a 747F as well but I would reconfirm that with the airline. In addition to that there should be a number of non scheduled carriers oeprating with older 707 or DC8 equipment. Your friendly charter broker will be able to give you that information.
powered by Eierlikör

AF022

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:25 pm

Quoting Lexer (Reply 6):
Sadly (these flights are important for the Zambian economy, predomoinantly the exports of flowers and vegetables), just that week BA announced they'd pull out their weekly cargo flight due to high fuel cost. I remember seeing an earlier thread on this particular topic.

I looked on the BA website for this news without luck. Do you have a source?

lexer

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:59 pm

Yes, the source was a press release by BA in Lusaka in July, and reported on extensively in the Zambian newspapers when I was there in late July. BA quoted high fuel prices, and in fact, the presentation I saw that very day mentioned the cost of fuel as a persistent comparative disadvantage for Zambian exports compared to its neighbours and regional competitors.

I havent followed the matter since so it could very well be that the BA flights have re-started, or that fuel costs have come down. At the time there was a (moderate) fuel shortage in Lusaka, and prices were very high because of a refinery shutdown.

So I guess it's only an indirect source..

B777200

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:07 am

The first posting asked about the goods being brought into Zambia.

Most common are spare parts for cars and trucks from Europe, especially Germany. A large majority of the commercial vehicles in Zambia are Mercedes Benz from the 1970's and 1980's, although newer models are beginning to appear. Mining equipment could also be brought by airfreight, although I suspect it is mostly brought in via sea freight to Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania and then trucked to the copperbelt in Zambia, due to the weight of the equipment. As mentioned in an earlier posting, horticultural goods and vegetables are then exported to Europe. I have seen vegetables in the English Tesco shops originating in Zambia.

Regarding cargo airlines flying to Lusaka; 2 years ago I saw MK Airlines, Das Air, and I know British Airways used to have cargo operations. British Airways actually had some dedicated cargo space on a regular passenger Boeing 777 (Not a combi). For over a year now, British Airways has now switched to a Boeing 767 service, so I am not sure if they have a separate cargo flight.

Greetings to All.

Dougloid

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:41 am

Quoting B777200 (Reply 10):

Quoting B777200 (Reply 10):
B777200 From Zambia, joined Aug 2005, 5 posts, RR: 0
Reply 10, posted Fri Sep 2 2005 21:07:28 UTC+2 and read 24 times:

The first posting asked about the goods being brought into Zambia.

Most common are spare parts for cars and trucks from Europe, especially Germany. A large majority of the commercial vehicles in Zambia are Mercedes Benz from the 1970's and 1980's, although newer models are beginning to appear. Mining equipment could also be brought by airfreight, although I suspect it is mostly brought in via sea freight to Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania and then trucked to the copperbelt in Zambia, due to the weight of the equipment. As mentioned in an earlier posting, horticultural goods and vegetables are then exported to Europe. I have seen vegetables in the English Tesco shops originating in Zambia.

Regarding cargo airlines flying to Lusaka; 2 years ago I saw MK Airlines, Das Air, and I know British Airways used to have cargo operations. British Airways actually had some dedicated cargo space on a regular passenger Boeing 777 (Not a combi). For over a year now, British Airways has now switched to a Boeing 767 service, so I am not sure if they have a separate cargo flight.

Greetings to All.

Do you know Patrick Phiri? He was DOM for Zambia Consolidated Copper Mines and ride along mechanic on President Kaunda's Challenger.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn