VH-BZF
Topic Author

Poll: Best East Coast Hub, Airline To LHR/Europe?

Sun May 07, 2000 4:24 pm

Just wanted your thoughts on the best U.S East coast hub & airline to fly to London & or Europe?

Last time I flew across the Atlantic in 1997, I flew UA on a B767-300 to LHR from IAD/Dulles. I found IAD to be a good airport & UA's service was good & as much as I love the B767, I do enjoy a B747!

What are your thoughts?
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

D L X

RE: Poll: Best East Coast Hub, Airline To LHR/Europe?

Sun May 07, 2000 5:16 pm

IAD is okay, but there is a very significant population north of Washington in the Northeast. It is very inconvenient to fly to Europe via IAD from the Northeast because you end up going back over where you came from, wasting time.
I flew to Paris via IAD from Boston. That added at least 2 hours to my flight time. (One hour BOS-IAD, then the hour that it took to fly back almost directly over BOS to go over the ocean.)

For the US, the best hub to fly to Europe would have to be Boston hands down. All flights from the east coast and south heading for Europe fly over Boston. However, BOS makes a terrible domestic hub because it is way off in the corner of the country.

VH-BZF
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2000 5:52 pm

Do ORD & ATL count as 'East Coast'? I guess what makes a good hub great, is it's access(& minimal ATC delays!), service & ease of getting around!
The last time I was at Newark (nearly 10years ago!) I flew in from Gatwick on Continental & had to wait over an hour to be processed through immigration (a Virgin Atlantic flight had landed just prior to us!)...aaarrrrggghh! I hope for CO's sake they have improved passport control at EWR, because I think IAD beats EWR hands down when entering the USA.

cheers

N863DA

Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport

Sun May 07, 2000 6:09 pm

For one airline's operations, you cannot beat Delta Air Lines out of Atlanta, and, to a lesser extent, New York Kennedy.

Delta serves more cities in Europe than some of the major transatlantic airlines put together.

Atlanta Hartsfield is a nice airport with loads of facilities for everyone, and has vast connections around the country and across the Atlantic. You can't beat Atlanta for transatlantic destinations, assuming you want to stay on the same airline.

As for the best airline to London (albeit Gatwick) and Europe, Delta is far and away your best bet. Altho, beware, the one route that ironically they don't serve (and have no immediate plans to do so as far as I am aware) is between New York Kennedy and Gatwick. Other than that, they have almost every destination you can imagine - and, if nothing else, you can guarantee that if Delta don't serve the destination direct from ATL or JFK, then Air France will thru Charles de Gaulle.

FLY DELTA JETS

N863DA.

Sun May 07, 2000 8:21 pm

British Airways is simply the best !

Ezra

Sun May 07, 2000 10:36 pm

I have to agree that Delta's transatlantic operations from JFK and ATL are pretty amazing. To walk around the JFK Worldport between the hours of 5:00 and 8:00 pm, when the international flights depart, is like stepping back into the glamorous days of the jetset. I often endure the long ride on the A train just to make this an evening activity!

Does Delta not serve London from JFK because the market is already saturated, or because most o/d traffic at that airport prefers LHR, for which Delta does not currently have the right to service?

Ezra.

flyguy1

Mon May 08, 2000 2:38 am

Whenever you think of transatlantic travel from the east coast, JFK has to stand out. Airlines such as DL, AA, BA, and TW have multiple flights daily. Most of the major european carriers operate 3-4 R/Ts per day. DL alone has 20 non-stop flights, no one can beat that.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

AF777

Mon May 08, 2000 2:59 am

I agree that JFK is the premier Airport to Europe. Especially now that 2006 pretty much every terminal will have been havily rebuilt or blown-up in favor of much more modern beautifully designed terminal. Especially T1 T4 and AAT8.

goooooaaal

Mon May 08, 2000 3:29 am

BA from BOS to LHR three times a day! This is your best bet by far.

bigtidi

Mon May 08, 2000 4:15 am

The best East Coast hub is hands down Continental's Newark Hub. Take a look at the domestic feed that Newark has, then take a look at the international destinations served from Newark. It's Amazing, this is also why it is Continental's most profitable hub. All of this in the premiere city in the US and the biggest air travel market in the world. Continental's Newark hub is the most envied hub in the airline industry. AA and DAL will try to build up JFK but it will never be EWR.

USAirways737

Mon May 08, 2000 4:35 am

I've never been to PHL so how is that? They are remodeling it or maybe they have already. Does it even compare to other East Coast airports?

John G

Mon May 08, 2000 4:54 am

Does PHL still have that funny separate "overseas terminal" down past the sheraton hotel?

Mon May 08, 2000 9:28 am

EWR is the #1 airport on the East Coast. Continental serves more European cities from the New York Area than any other airline. EWR is a goldmine!!!!!  

VirginA340

Mon May 08, 2000 1:51 pm

I recomend EWR and JFK. With airlines I recommend Virgin, United and Continental
"FUIMUS"

STT757

Mon May 08, 2000 11:22 pm

Newark by far is the best hub on the East coast,especially for European-Domestic connections.

A new IAB area and arrivals hall opened at Terminal B in 1996,and is frequently rated as one of the best by frequent flyers.

Continental is currently building their own IAB that will be connected to their Terminal C,this is part of their Global Gateway project.Global Gateway is a $1.3 Billion expansion of Continental facilities at Newark.

Currently all Continental and Virgin Atlantic flights to London arrive and depart from the same gates at Terminal B.As you may know Continental and Virgin Atlantic code share on each others routes,Virgin has one of those drive up check in services at Newark's Terminal B.A limo is provided at no extra cost to Upper Class passengers at Newark and London.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

ord

RE: Bigtidi

Tue May 09, 2000 3:15 am

While CO's Newark hub is good, and certainly could be considered one of the best for travel to Europe, I would hardly call it the most envied hub in the airline industry. I think that distinction would go to either DFW, ATL or ORD.

And I wouldn't classify Newark as the premiere city in the U.S., either. New York would be up there, but not Newark.

In Response To ORD

Tue May 09, 2000 5:07 am

well ORD, Newark's airport may phsically be in Newark, NJ. But who cares, it's within a half hour from Manhattan, bout the same time it takes to get to JFK. EWR is definitely a NYC airport, it's named Newark because it's there. Kind of like saying Cincinnati doesn't have an airport because the one they have lies across the river in another state in a town called Covington, KY. Well, that's just dumb, Cincinnati has a hell of an airport, and EWR is a New York metro are airport, I could guess that most pax that are destined for EWR are destined for NY, not Newark.

ord

RE: Everett, WA

Tue May 09, 2000 6:58 am

I was responding to the comment which read, "All of this in the premiere city in the US..." EWR is not IN New York, it is IN Newark, NJ. I have many friends in New York and New Jersey, and even lived there myself...EWR is referred to as a NY-area airport. CVG is different because it's the only major airport serving Cincinnati.

VH-BZF
Topic Author

RE: Atlanta & Chicago?

Tue May 09, 2000 3:59 pm

Well it's good to see CO building it's EWR hub up & I must admit from your responses it seems as though the problems I experienced in the late 80's there are no longer. After all CO is a different airline now.

How about the big two airports to the west of JFK - ATL & ORD? Do these come into contention?

Cheers

agrodemm

Tue May 09, 2000 5:58 pm

For the leisure travellers, with tight budgets....
one good choice from JFK or BOS to LHR is Icelandair.
Afternoon (7 pm ) daily departures from USA, connection to Reykjavik-Keflavik (KEF) for 2 hours early in the morning, and arrival at LHR at 11.30 am. (when i was travelling we arrived earlier). Not bad schedules..
Iceland uses B 757-200 which is nice but a bit cramped, the food is good-drinks are served, the FA's friendly (and some of them very attractive as well)
and above all the prices are unbeatable      
I won't mention the price for matters of deontology but I tell you that I got a really cheap return ticket (in the range of the seating capacity of an A-300 B4)  
Does anybody knows any better deals, on a regular basis, except some special ones?
Best Regards,
Emmanuel