GARUDAROD
Topic Author

U.S. Airlines To Operate MSY Refugee Flights

Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:13 am

IT appears the Nations airlines are going to start moving some of the
huge numbers of refugees out of New Orleans..

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/02/na...nal/nationalspecial/02cnd-air.html

[Edited 2005-09-02 17:17:27]
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

GARUDAROD
Topic Author

RE: U.S. Airlines To Operate MSY Refugee Flights

Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:34 am

This is unprecedented in U.S. history. I know that QF and EL AL have
set records by using B747s to evacuate people before, but for the
Civilian carriers to volunteer their aircraft and staff, that is something.

Its nice to see in this time of crisis, that the bottom line does not matter
to some. A hardy "Well Done" to the U.S. airlines participating.
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

IAHFLYR

Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:38 am

Great News, sure hope the gov't at some point in the future provides the fuel and covers the cost for these flights.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

CcrlR

Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:54 am

I checked flytecomm and they have two from DL, one for JetBlue, Two for Spirit, and some more planned by Air Canada and others.

And this one too.

Airline Provence Aero Service
Flight Number 9484
Departure City (Airport) Indianapolis, IN (IND)
Departure Time 09/02/2005 10:21 AM
Arrival City (Airport) New Orleans, LA (MSY)
Arrival Time 09/02/2005 12:01 PM
Remaining Flight Time 01:40 (planned)
Aircraft Type E170
Current Altitude 0 feet
Current Groundspeed 0 mph
Flight Status Planned
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

richardw

Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:58 am

will WN have an Airline USA TV crew with them, I wonder

drerx7

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:04 am

So they are all being airlifted to SAT? I hear Dallas is now accepting evacuees.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

Goldenshield

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:07 am

Quoting CcrlR (Reply 3):
Airline Provence Aero Service
Flight Number 9484

RPA9484 INDMSY E170
ETA 1743Z
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

BostonGuy

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:08 am

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 5):
So they are all being airlifted to SAT? I hear Dallas is now accepting evacuees.

With up to 9 flights per hour, and being instituted at such short notice, I would imagine that logistically the best place to properly care for the evacuees (many of whom need desperate medical attention) would be a military facility. That would be why these refugees are being flown directly to Lackland Air Force Base.

It wouldn't surprise me if compensation to the airlines by the Federal Government was under consideration and being worked out. I wouldn't be alarmed that the airlines are currently having to "donate" their services... better to get the air-evacuation up and running and worry about how to pay for it later.

ARGinLON

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:17 am

I heard that CO donated 1000 seats (?)

I am sure that part of the relief package approved last night will go to cover the expenses that airlines will face when transporting "MSY refugees".

IAHFLYR

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:46 am

Here is the CO press release talking about the 1,000 tickets.

Continental Airlines Provides Relief for Hurricane Victims
* Will donate 1,000 tickets for resettlement travel; * Waives advance purchase requirement for travelers from Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi; * Sets flexible policies for rebooking and refunding tickets in hurricane zone
HOUSTON, Sept 01, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) today announced a series of steps to help hurricane victims with their travel needs.

Ticket Donation for Resettlement Travel

Continental will donate 1,000 tickets to a relief agency to allow displaced residents of the southeastern United States impacted by Hurricane Katrina to relocate within the U.S. Continental envisions the tickets will be used by Katrina refugees who have secured long-term support outside the region and are able to relocate. Travel will be approved and arranged by a relief agency using Continental's ticket donation. Currently Continental is in discussion with relief agencies to determine a process under which the ticket donation can be made available to qualified recipients. Specifics will be announced shortly.

"This is just one small way that we can help to meet the immediate needs of the many evacuees in desperate need of help," said Continental's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Larry Kellner.

The ticket donation is in addition to the carrier's donation of 1,000,000 OnePass frequent flyer miles to American Red Cross and AmeriCares mileage donation accounts to support the travel needs of those working to alleviate the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. OnePass members can also donate their miles to these agencies at continental.com>Frequent Flyer>Use Miles>Donate Miles.

Low and Easy-To-Use Fares for Evacuees

Continental has instituted special fares for residents of Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi who have immediate travel needs. For these travelers, Continental is waiving the advance purchase requirement for any fare to any destination, for travel originating through Monday, Sept. 5, 2005. The fares are available through Continental reservations, 1-800-523-3273.

This offer gives evacuees access to Continental's discount fares without having to meet all of the normal restrictions. Fares will be booked based on the inventory available at time of purchase.

Flexible Refund and Rebooking Policies

Continental also has relaxed certain ticket rules applicable to nonrefundable and nonchangeable tickets to/from five airports affected by Katrina. Refunds may be requested from Continental reservations at 1-800-523-3273.

Continental's regular policies permit a full refund of nonrefundable tickets in the event the ticketed flight does not operate. Therefore, under regular policies, full refunds are available on tickets booked on any of the canceled flights to/from New Orleans and Gulfport/Biloxi (which currently do not have service) or any other canceled flight.

Continental has improved the above policy to be of further assistance to its customers under the extremely difficult circumstances caused by Katrina. Eligible for refund under the special policy are tickets for travel through Oct. 31, 2005 to/from Baton Rouge, Lafayette and New Orleans, La.; Gulfport/Biloxi and Jackson, Miss.; and Mobile, Ala. Nonrefundable tickets which are refunded under this accommodation will be refunded to an Electronic Travel Certificate valid for a future purchase on a Continental flight or a flight operated by a partner airline carrying a Continental flight number (code share).
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Ken777

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:12 am

The "donation" of services is probably the only way to get around all the battles to get the government to make a decision. If they can land in MSY and have a fast turn around things should work out reasonably well. The question is how long it will take for George W to figure out that they need to take care of the primary costs that this effort entails - like paying for the fuel and wages.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:28 am

Here's whats scheduled so far for Friday 9/2/05 Note: (SKF - Lackland AFB in SAT) Flights will only occure during daylight hours and VFR conditions for obvious reasons. So far DL, NK, AC, and WN have started relief flights. The others are preparing and will likely start operations tomorrow on Saturday

Inbound for MSY:
FLL Spirit Airlines 8004 11:15 AM M80
ATL Delta Air Lines 9811 11:25 AM 752
SKF Delta Air Lines 9813 11:37 AM 752
ATL Delta Air Lines 9906 11:41 AM 752
JFK Jetblue Airways 9580 11:43 AM A320
ATL Delta Air Lines 9817 12:09 PM 752
FLL Spirit Airlines 8001 12:09 PM M80
ATL Delta Air Lines 9812 12:11 PM 752
IND Provence Aero Service 9484 12:37 PM E170
DAL Southwest 8800 12:43 PM 73G
YYZ Air Canada 7058 01:09 PM A321
SKF Delta Air Lines 9814 03:53 PM 752
SKF Delta Air Lines 9819 04:09 PM 752

Outbound From MSY: (Flight time to SFK 1:15)
SFK Delta Air Lines 9811 01:13 PM 752
SFK Spirit Airlines 8002 01:24 PM M80
SFK Spirit Airlines 8005 01:30 PM M80
SFK Jetblue Airways 2001 01:32 PM A320
SFK Delta Air Lines 9812 01:46 PM 752
SFK Delta Air Lines 9817 02:01 PM 752
SFK Southwest 8801 02:46 PM 73G
SFK Air Canada 7051 04:02 PM A321

BostonGuy

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:32 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 10):
The question is how long it will take for George W to figure out that they need to take care of the primary costs that this effort entails - like paying for the fuel and wages.

The reality is all Federal money is funneled via the state and local governments upon them asking for it.

Seeking/requesting money to pay for a commercial airline evacuation within the United States is a primary job function of the Governor of Lousiana who should be working in concert with the Mayor of New Orleans.

Just because we might not like George Bush doesn't mean it's ok to ignore where the process to repay airlines for this evacuation is meant to begin. Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin only have to pick up a friggin' phone and say "pay for it!". Bush has already told Governor Blanco, on national TV, that whatever it costs she can have.

No evidence they're doing this. But what do you expect from politicians who completely ignored evacuating 50,000 poor people from one of America's most poverty stricken cities?

Don't blame Bush for other politicians failures.

[Edited 2005-09-02 19:38:35]

ARGinLON

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:52 am

Guys,

The British media said last night that according to official governmental data New Orleans has just over 100,000 inhabitants without a car.

How on earth did the Mayor expected those people to leave? On foot?

Why they didn't charter the flights before?

Meanwhile GW said that New Orleans will emerge stronger from the disaster (or similar)

CORULEZ05

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:57 am

This is good news to say the least. Although, I think it should of been done before the storm hit. Unfortunately, the people who are being most affected by this tragedy are lower income people. That being said, they don't have money to evacuate and were stuck in the Superdome. Perhaps the best thing that could of been done would of been running these flights on saturday and sunday to get the people out. Of course, there is no point in saying "what ifs".
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

BostonGuy

Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:41 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 14):
This is good news to say the least. Although, I think it should of been done before the storm hit. Unfortunately, the people who are being most affected by this tragedy are lower income people. That being said, they don't have money to evacuate and were stuck in the Superdome. Perhaps the best thing that could of been done would of been running these flights on saturday and sunday to get the people out. Of course, there is no point in saying "what ifs".

Probably would have been far more efficient to take the hundreds of unused school buses (schools were closed) to get those without cars or money to buy gas to a safe place. That's a precedure used in other hurricane-prone states... alas, Louisiana doesn't seem very adept at advance planning.

westindian425

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:00 am

Today I was actually thinking about using "Jolly Green Giants" to get the people from the city to the airports (especially in the areas that are unpassable on the ground) and then C5's and other widebodies (like an ATA L-1011) to evacuate them.

The Air Force Base is a good idea. I even thought about using some of the bases that were closed around the country as temporary shelters. I'd imagine that they are still habitable.

This is still good, and I'm glad to see progress. I saw some firetrucks in the convoy all the way from Los Angeles. Kudos to them. Good for B6 to represent NYC. I hope more can come from NY.

Also, is the "Flying Hospital" still in existance? They could sure use it now.

Neil
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

halls120

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:13 am

Quoting BostonGuy (Reply 12):
Just because we might not like George Bush doesn't mean it's ok to ignore where the process to repay airlines for this evacuation is meant to begin. Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin only have to pick up a friggin' phone and say "pay for it!". Bush has already told Governor Blanco, on national TV, that whatever it costs she can have.

No evidence they're doing this. But what do you expect from politicians who completely ignored evacuating 50,000 poor people from one of America's most poverty stricken cities?

Don't blame Bush for other politicians failures.

Don't hold your breath hoping for the above. There seems to be quite a number of people here who seem intent on giving the governor and the mayor a free pass for their incompetence.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

sebring

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:13 am

Goldenshield

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:15 am

As a side note: They just placed MSY into a ground delay program with a 4 aircraft per hour cap.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

DLKAPA

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:24 am

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 13):
How on earth did the Mayor expected those people to leave? On foot?

That's why they opened up the superdome, so those that couldn't leave would have a place of refuge.

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 13):
Meanwhile GW said that New Orleans will emerge stronger from the disaster (or similar)

While I don't like the guy or much of what he says, look what happened in NYC. The american people have a resolve to fight back in times like this and I think in a few years time NO will be the place it was before the storm ::Feels strange sense of american pride::
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

PlanesNTrains

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:31 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 11):
SFK Delta Air Lines 9811 01:13 PM 752
SFK Spirit Airlines 8002 01:24 PM M80
SFK Spirit Airlines 8005 01:30 PM M80
SFK Jetblue Airways 2001 01:32 PM A320
SFK Delta Air Lines 9812 01:46 PM 752
SFK Delta Air Lines 9817 02:01 PM 752
SFK Southwest 8801 02:46 PM 73G
SFK Air Canada 7051 04:02 PM A321

That will be a lot of people arriving in a short amount of time. I hope that it is an organized situation in San Antonio, as these folks need some sense of security and stability. Emotionally, I could not imagine being them in their situation, but I bet that they have the most comfortable and enjoyable flight of their lives, relative to their situation.

Quoting BostonGuy (Reply 12):
The reality is all Federal money is funneled via the state and local governments upon them asking for it.

Seeking/requesting money to pay for a commercial airline evacuation within the United States is a primary job function of the Governor of Lousiana who should be working in concert with the Mayor of New Orleans.

Thank you for that. It's been extremely embarrassing to see the huge political blame game going on just hours into the disaster. I'm not saying there isn't blame to go around, but it's gone beyond disaster relief. It's about politcal assassination, and it only creates more discontent at a time when we need to pull together.

-Dave
-Dave

UALPHLCS

Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:33 am

UA flew in a relief fligh yesterday this is the Newsreel article on that flight and those refugees they took out of N.O.

Katrina Update: United Completes Humanitarian
Flight to New Orleans
----------------------------------------------------
Partnering with the American Red Cross, America's
Second Harvest (the largest hunger-relief
organization in the United States) and others,
United successfully operated a humanitarian flight -
- United Flight 9948 -- from Chicago to New Orleans
and back on Thursday.

The flight departed Chicago O'Hare at approximately
7:00 a.m. Central time and landed at the Louis
Armstrong New Orleans International Airport at about
9:15 a.m. During the two-and-a-half hours on the
ground in New Orleans, United airport employees
assisted with unloading 25,000 pounds of critically
needed relief supplies (including food and water)
for people affected by the storm.

In addition to 29 United employees from various
divisions -- including Airport Operations, United
Services, Field Communications and Corporate Social
Investment -- the flight carried eight
Transportation Security Administration (TSA) agents
to assist with the security screening of evacuees
for the return flight. Fifty paramedics were also
taken on the flight to New Orleans to assist with
the ongoing relief effort there.

On the 12:15 p.m. return, United's flight served as
an evacuation vehicle on a first-come, first-served
basis for 101 refugees of all ages fleeing the
region -- including large families, special needs
passengers and four pet dogs. The evacuation was
timely, as the Federal Emergency Management
Administration (FEMA) had brought refugees from all
over the area to the airport. Two of United's New
Orleans airport employees who'd been in the area
throughout the storm also took the return flight.
In flight, the evacuees were given fresh T-shirts
and served a hot meal, which was, for many, their
first in several days.

"The people in this region are coping with something
difficult for us to imagine," says Sonya Jackson,
director-Corporate Social Investment. "At this
point, they're trying to meet basic needs and find
loved ones. Fortunately, we were able to provide a
small bit of help today to a few of them. This
flight is something all United employees should be
proud of."

Upon landing at O'Hare, the evacuees were given,
courtesy of Sears, 100-dollar gift certificates for
new clothing. United also gave them the option of
continuing on to other destinations beyond Chicago
to stay with family or friends. Nearly 90 percent
of the evacuees connected to approximately 10
different cities, including Houston, Atlanta and
Dallas; a handful chose to stay in Chicago.

Additionally, some were taken to the United Red
Carpet Club for respite and assistance from American
Red Cross representatives after their long, recent
days.

Vice President-Airport Operations Alex Marren
accompanied the flight, and commended the
collaborative effort of the company's various
divisions to get it off the ground.

"Being in New Orleans today made clear how
devastating the situation there really is," Marren
says. "Although today's flight is just one part of
what will be a tremendous humanitarian effort, it
was remarkable to see how everyone came together to
make this happen. Employees across the company
worked very hard in a short period of time to help
bring badly needed food, water and relief to those
in need."

United continues to monitor the situation and
develop ways for the company, employees and
customers to assist in the relief effort.
Customers, as well as employees, seeking information
about donating cash or Mileage Plus(R) miles can
visit www.united.com for details about participation
in the company's Charity Miles program.

NewsReal will continue to provide updates as the
situation progresses.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

dfwagt

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:59 pm

My airline will be operating some flights starting tomorrow at 0600 with 757 equip. I will be going to assist at MSY. Should be interesting.

ordpark

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:19 pm

UA operated a flt from ORD this afternoon with about 18000 lbs of relief supplys on board and then continued to SFK with a load of survivors...the 2nd of many I hope....

aeroc

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:24 pm

All I have to say is WOW!!!!!! With all the crap you see on the news there are really no stories of the good that is happening. God Bless all the victims and their families, the volunteers, the men and women of the military and coast guard, the people whom have donated anything, and the airlines who with the fuel and prices the way they are, will help the people affected by this tragedy. Thank You All!

virgin747

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:44 pm

Quoting Sebring (Reply 18):
Some details on the AC flight

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a....html

Its amazing even to see Canada contributing to the effort despite recent Canada/US relations.

centrair

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:49 pm

With all the bad things happening in the airline industry it is nice that they can come together in time of need.

I know this might have an obvious answer but why are they only requesting 737s and A320s? Is it because of available runway length?
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

UA772IAD

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:54 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 20):
That's why they opened up the superdome, so those that couldn't leave would have a place of refuge.

Of course, the Superdome proved to be inadequate, as sanitation quickly became an issue.

I must say that I am glad the airlines are now helping. The federal government really needs to do their share (Ahem Bush). Does anyone know about AFB openings in the area for National Guard officials to transport supplies?

Once again, it's good to see the airlines helping. However, I still don't question the governor's valid argument, which is they (the airlines) should have done more before the hurricane.

kc135topboom

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:35 pm

In addition, the MSANG airlifted medical evacuations to NAS Fort Worth (Carswell AFB) using C-141Cs. The USAF is also using C-130Hs going to Carswell from MSY.

OPNLguy

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:21 pm

Quoting Centrair (Reply 27):
I know this might have an obvious answer but why are they only requesting 737s and A320s? Is it because of available runway length?

Because of the limited ramp parking space available, my guesses would be that those aircraft have smaller sizes, can be turned quicker than a widebody, and don't need specialized equipment like container loaders--a simple belt loader will do.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

crogalski

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:35 pm

jetblue donated one of their aircraft for refugee flights
A319 A320 A321 A330 B717 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 DC9 E145 E190 MD88 Q400 | AA AB B6 CO DL EI FL NK

N587NK

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:40 pm

2115 0130 -A68
D-END: 2145 (NR 0900) REPORT 0500 No Hotel Assigned
Sa 03 8801 SKF-MSY KSKF- 1000 1130 0130 829
Sa 03 8802 MSY-SKF -KSKF 0830 1000 0130 -A68
Sa 03 8802 SKF-MSY KSKF- 1100 1230 0130 -A68
Sa 03 8803 MSY-SKF -KSKF 1330 1500 0130 -A68
D-END: 1530 (NR 0900) REPORT 0500 No Hotel Assigned
Su 04 8801 SKF-MSY KSKF- 0600 0730 0130 100 829
Su 04 8802 MSY-SKF -KSKF 0830 1000 0130 100 829
Su 04 8802 SKF-MSY KSKF- 1100 1230 0130 100 829
Su 04 8803 MSY-SKF -KSKF 1330 1500 0130 829
D-END: 1530 (NR 0900) REPORT 1400 No Hotel Assigned
Mo 05 DH POSN SKF-FLL KSKF- 1500 1730 -1-5 ???

One of NK's trips..yes only one of the many were doing..as you can see its more than once a day!!

crogalski

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:10 pm

"Passenger carriers participating in the volunteer effort include: Alaska, America West, American, ATA, Continental, Delta, Jet Blue, Northwest, Southwest, United, US Airways, and Air Canada. Cargo carriers providing support include: ASTAR Air Cargo, Federal Express and UPS Airlines."

Is there really an UPS Airline?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/katrina.evacuees/index.html
A319 A320 A321 A330 B717 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 DC9 E145 E190 MD88 Q400 | AA AB B6 CO DL EI FL NK

longhauler

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:18 pm

Quoting Virgin747 (Reply 26):
Its amazing even to see Canada contributing to the effort despite recent Canada/US relations.

Yes, but the employee sentiment within Air Canada, was that the United States is always first to help a country in need .... it's payback time now. That is why Air Canada's employees were lining up (myself included) to assist with this airlift.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

tockeyhockey

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:29 pm

Quoting GARUDAROD (Reply 1):
This is unprecedented in U.S. history. I know that QF and EL AL have
set records by using B747s to evacuate people before, but for the
Civilian carriers to volunteer their aircraft and staff, that is something.

Its nice to see in this time of crisis, that the bottom line does not matter
to some. A hardy "Well Done" to the U.S. airlines participating.

i'm not sure that this is exactly unprescedented. part of the reason that the government is so relaxed with rules regarding airline bankruptcies is because the government realizes that it does not have the capacity alone to move troops and people around the country when there is a war or a disaster. in the past, railroads were required to suspend profit service in order to move troops. this situation is very similar.

you're right that this exact thing has never happened to the airlines before, but our transportation infrastructure has been "commandeered" in the past.

westindian425

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:42 pm

So far the only video/photos I'm getting at MSY are of an all-white 737. I haven't seen any recognizable airlines. That might be deliberate by the media, but it sure would be nice to see some shots.

Neil
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

lincoln

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:09 am

Quoting Crogalski (Reply 33):
Is there really an UPS Airline

Yes -- it's UPS (United Parcel Service)'s air operations. (I.e., from what I understand if it has "UPS" painted on it and wings it's technically UPS Airlines)
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

BostonGuy

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:33 am

Quoting UA772IAD (Reply 28):
However, I still don't question the governor's valid argument, which is they (the airlines) should have done more before the hurricane.

Would have been nice if the Governor or Mayor had advised the airlines what time they planned to close the airport on Sunday instead of leaving it up to each individual airline to guess what was going to happen to prevent having to turn around planes enroute to MSY.

Would have been nice if the Governor or Mayor had used the 500+ school buses in New Orleans (which were taken out of service days before the hurricane and parked in a flood-prone area) and used those to drive right into the neighborhoods where they knew poor people who couldn't evacuate were located and at least taken them to shelters outside the city.

And let's not forget what New Orlean's Mayor Nagin said on national TV and radio on Saturday morning:

"I hereby order everyone to evacuate the City of New Orleans"

Local and state leaders have the authority to order an evacuation because they are the ones who are responsible for the public safety of everyone in their jurisdictions.

It's being estimated that of the 100,000 people who stayed in New Orleans 50,000 of them had no way to obey a mandatory evacuation. We're learning that the Mayor was advised last year that this would happen yet he made no plans or effort to assist these people.

That was his and the Governor's responsibility, and they must be held accountable for the fact that so many deaths are due to them shirking their responsibilities.

It's sickening to see the Governor focusing on lack of airline service on Sunday, especially in light of the fact that her concern about the cancelled flights was due to a relatively small number (compared to 50,000 poor people in New Orleans) of tourists being stranded. In her complaints about the airlines she has never stated that she needed those flights to evacuate residents.

jrw261

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:11 am

From what I've heard from people being evacuated now and people who evacuated before... Lousiana and N.O. officials deserve most of the blame for the lack of reasources available directly after this catastrophe... they had no provisions setup for any type of refugee or shelter situation... and now they are trying to push the blame to FEMA, the US government, and the rest of the country. I understand that help can never come fast enough in a tragic situation as this.. but we have to be realistic, the logistics involved in this type of operation are unthinkable. Anyone willing to argue that, can go apply for leadership jobs at FEMA and local government in the affected areas and do it better themselves.. until then I dont want to hear it.

FlewGSW

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:18 am

AA Flights for September 3, 2005. Four MD-80s

Flight 9370 DFW @ 0638 - MSY @ 0803
Flight 9440 MSY @ 0820 - SKF @ 0948
Flight 9743 SKF @ 1050 - MSY @ 1205
Flight 9441 MSY @ 1320 - SKF @ 1448
Flight 9744 SKF @ 1550 - DFW @ 1700

Flight 9740 DFW @ 0738 - MSY @ 0856
Flight 9437 MSY @ 0920 - SKF @ 1049
Flight 9741 SKF @ 1150 - MSY @ 1320
Flight 9438 MSY @ 1420 - SKF @ 1550
Flight 9742 SKF @ 1650 - DFW @ 1800

Flight 9752 DFW @ 0711 - MSY @ 0828
Flight 9423 MSY @ 0945 - TYS @ 1215
Flight 9618 TYS @ 1530 - MSY @ 1550
Flight 9755 MSY @ 1650 - BNA @ 1815
Flight 9619 BNA @ 1915 - DFW @ 2115

Flight 9760 DFW @ 0800 - MSY @ 0920
Flight 9434 MSY @ 1020 - SKF @ 1148
Flight 9761 SKF @ 1250 - MSY @ 1420
Flight 9436 MSY @ 1520 - SKF @ 1650
Flight 9762 SKF @ 1750 - DFW @ 1859

ikramerica

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:27 am

Quoting LongHauler (Reply 34):
Yes, but the employee sentiment within Air Canada, was that the United States is always first to help a country in need .... it's payback time now. That is why Air Canada's employees were lining up (myself included) to assist with this airlift.

Isn't it sad you even have to point this out to some of your enlightened fellow countrymen?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

FlewGSW

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:52 am

CNN reports just now:

Former V.P. Al Gore arrived into MSY today on an AA flight.

cltguy

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:22 am

US Airways has also donated a 737 for this operation.

widebodyphotog

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:25 am

Quoting BostonGuy (Reply 15):
Probably would have been far more efficient to take the hundreds of unused school buses (schools were closed) to get those without cars or money to buy gas to a safe place. That's a precedure used in other hurricane-prone states... alas, Louisiana doesn't seem very adept at advance planning.

You mean these buses...

GW Carver HS bus lot

While not a native of New Orleans I have lived there off and on for more than 25 years, visit at least twice a year and my family maintains a residence in Kenner. The ultimate incompetence of the Louisiana and New Orleans governments are now on display for the world to see and others to suffer. However this is nothing new, just the degree is now quite startling...

The mayor issued an evacuation order with no plan or means to carry out a complete evacuation of the city. I have heard and read study upon study of what would happen in the case of a cat 4 or higher storm hitting the area. The conclusions were always the same in that without a plan to evacuate the multitudes of dependent class residents they would suffer greatly or die en mass. This has been known for two decades or more. The evacuation flights happening now at MSY are like trying to put a band-aid on a shotgun wound...

On a more personal note this whole thing is terribly heartbreaking for me. As a boy I used to sit by Duncan Canal with my notebook and binoculars, spotting planes and catching turtles. I still visit that same spot every time I go back there. The area is very close to my heart and it's so sad to see what's happening there.

-widebodyphotog
If you know what's really going on then you'll know what to do

uaord2000

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:29 am

This is great that something is finally being done to help these people in New Orleans. Never have I been so embarassed of G.W. and the government for letting this situation evolve into such a disaster. Good for the US airlines!!!

BostonGuy

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:49 am

Quoting Widebodyphotog (Reply 44):
You mean these buses...

GW Carver HS bus lot

Those are some of them... MSNBC last night showed footage of a similar, yet far larger holding area with far more buses.

Quoting UAORD2000 (Reply 45):
Never have I been so embarassed of G.W. and the government for letting this situation evolve into such a disaster.

Which disaster are you referring to?

The disaster of a mayor leaving 50,000 people to fend for themselves and not even making use of funds made available to him by Bush or requesting anything from Bush to help evacuate people from a known life-threating situation?

Or the disaster of Bush not getting Federal assistance arriving fast enough after the hurricane?

MSNBC's analyst's view of the government's response

Here's an excerpt from the link:

"Unfortunately, I hate to say this; it rests first with the government of the City of New Orleans and secondly with the government of the State of Louisiana that failed in their emergency plans. They knew about this problem. They had it in their emergency plans in 2000. In fact, the emergency plan on their website predicted a category 4 of 5 hurricane would cause 20 foot storm surges and would flood the city. They should have known this was going to happen. It was in their plans and they should have responded before the event and called in every federal resource they could get their hands on. They didn't. "

widebodyphotog

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:55 am

Quoting UAORD2000 (Reply 45):
This is great that something is finally being done to help these people in New Orleans. Never have I been so embarassed of G.W. and the government for letting this situation evolve into such a disaster. Good for the US airlines!!!

Last time I checked, the president does not run the State of Louisiana or the city of New Orleans. The fed can not come in and take over a city or state unless the locality formally requests them to do so. The Governor and the Mayor did not have a plan period. They did not avail themselves of the full resources of the federal government which were made availible to them two days before the storm! They had plenty of time before the storm hit to come up with solutions for a problem that everybody could forsee and did nothing. Now they want to complain that FEMA and the president did not do enough to help them? This is just foolishness. There will be a high political cost to pay for this and it won't be on the fed side. The localities did not do what they were obligated to do before the catastrophe ensued and they are squarely to blame for the aftermath.

-wideboyphotog
If you know what's really going on then you'll know what to do

BostonGuy

Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:25 am

Quoting Widebodyphotog (Reply 47):
Last time I checked, the president does not run the State of Louisiana or the city of New Orleans.

Amen.

Rather interesting that those who dislike Bush the most also show a complete ignorance about the U.S. Constitution and lack of knowledge regarding which powers are given to the Federal Government and which powers are reserved exclusively for the states.

And, speaking of buses, if you have 50,000 people who can't get out of a city and you have 2 days to get them out what would be the best way to evacuate them from their homes: Using 500 of your own school buses? Requesting the Federal Government coordinate an airlift (commercial and/or military)? Or a combination of both?

uaord2000

Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:56 am

Fair enough, it's not GW's fault. It's the state's fault. Either way, don't you think that Daddy Bush should have stepped in and done SOMETHING to help these US residents, since the states and even FEMA could not figure it out? Just common sense I guess. Maybe this conversation should be in another forum. I would love to continue.