Airlinerfreak
Topic Author

AS LAX-MEX=Waste

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:00 pm

With a trip coming up to MEX next month, I was exciting thinking I was going to get to try AS on their new LAX-MEX route. When I went to the AS website to price out the selection I saw the flight left at 11:50 P.M. Are they complete and total morons for deciding to do that? Why would I want to fly through the night to get to MEX? I would like to leave at a humane time and get there sometime in the evening. Then I would also have to leave MEX at 6:36 a.m. to get back to LAX at 8 a.m. This is kind of pointless. I am losing a whole day at MEX. For those business travelers, this is not very convenient. So can somebody tell me where the strategy is in this. Thank you.

Bicoastal

RE: AS LAX-MEX=Waste

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:03 pm

You have choices. Don't fly Alaskan. Try a real airline like United. They're the best.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:06 pm

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 1):
Try a real airline like United. They're the best.

You gotta be kidding. I like UA, but Alaska is a very good airline (which im assuming you know nothing about).

And Richie, i'd guess its to increase aircraft utilization during the night hours. Makes more money flying than sitting (hopefully).
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

searpqx

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:17 pm

This is the first of two flights they'll eventually be flying. This flight is timed to allow connections from their entire system. On 10/31, the second flight will be added that will have a 10:15A departure, giving you a 4PM arrival in MEX, which will cater more exclusively to the O&D market in the LA area.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

MarshalN

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:27 pm

Is their plane carrying passengers from somewhere else en route to MEX, and just picking up more people in LAX (sort of like those midnight flights from the West Coast to Asia)?

ASA_737

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:29 pm

I've never heard of Alaskan Airlines..I know Alaska flies that route..and they are adding a daytime trip soon...Why is UA a "real" airline oppose to Alaska? Do you have to be losing money or be bankrupt before you become "real"?

N1120A

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:30 pm

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 3):
On 10/31, the second flight will be added that will have a 10:15A departure, giving you a 4PM arrival in MEX, which will cater more exclusively to the O&D market in the LA area.

Actually, a lot of the O&D market is looking for the red-eye style flights AS is now flying. They are much like other ones of the famous Tecolotes that have been offered for those who want to get a flight after working all day and get to an airport in Mexico early in the morning so they can get a bus to their home village.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LAXintl

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:46 pm

Indeed as mentioned by N1120A, night time flights are quite popular between LA and Mexico/Central America.

Without counting all the flights, I would make the assumption there are more after 10pm departures then flights the remainder of the day with the exception of tourist beach destinations which generally have morning departures.

Even Delta whom Alaska assumed the LAX-MEX authority from ran their sole remaining flight as a red-eye departing around midnight.

Even your "real" airline United offers a red-eye to Mexico City, while its services to San Jose, San Salvador and Guatemala are all red-eyes from LAX.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

737-990

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:52 pm

Quoting Airlinerfreak (Thread starter):
Are they complete and total morons for deciding to do that?

This is kind of pointless. I am losing a whole day at MEX. For those business travelers, this is not very convenient. So can somebody tell me where the strategy is in this. Thank you.

Yeah, those heavy load factors averaging 80-90% since that route started last month are killing this route. But think about the business traveler from the other end, going from MEX to LAX. That person can get to LA at 8am and have a whole business day and fly back to MEX at night without spending a night at a hotel.  sarcastic 

Given that AS has little spare capacity a redeye flight was the only way in which it could immediately service this market after it won DOT approval back in May. As was already mentioned the second daily roundtrip starts next month so quit your whining.
Happiest is a man who has his vocation as a hobby

HikesWithEyes

Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:59 pm

Airlinefreak, welcome to my "Another Moron Who Wants To Be an Airline CEO List".
The LAX/MEX late night flight seems to be doing quite well, as does the
LAX/GDL flight....very good loads on the GDL flight, and pretty good ones
on MEX.
First, benzene in my Perrier, and now this!

pecevanne

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:23 pm

Try MEXICANA, almost a none stop flight every two hours, day and night, superb service.

flyboy80

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:30 pm

Alaska is def a "real" airline...I love flying AS simply because the class I see out of them...very professional, and nicely dressed F/As, gate agents...etc, they are a very nicely put together operation...Ok I have to say it, I love southwest, but its...a "differen't" airline...EW!
bri/EUG

zrs70

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:31 pm

This is kind of pointless. I am losing a whole day at MEX. For those business travelers, this is not very convenient. So can somebody tell me where the strategy is in this.

A few thoughts:

1) Many business travelers LIKE red-eye flights. They get in early in the morning in time for a meeting.

2) Yes, you are losing a whole day in MEX on the return, but you are gaining a whole day on the outbound

3) The AS plane is in and our of MEX very quickly. Their fees are less, no overnight parking, etc. The strategy is to save $$$$. (Benefit to the airline, not the passenger. But still a strategy).
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

as739x

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:38 pm

Bicoastal, if you going to insult and airline, learn the airlines name!

Airlinefreak, we started with a red-eye for reason. Some Arm Chair CEO's forget that lots of research is done into opening a new route. Market demand is there for certain flights and if a red-eye works, they do it. Just cause it doesn't work for some people schedule like yours doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. Like 80-90 percent load factor, the flight time works for them!

Lets see:
MX-about 6 daily flight LAX-MEX including AM...3 of them are red-eye.....1205a/1255a/120a flights

UA-2 daily LAX-MEX..2nd flight at 1159p

So thats 4 of 8 flights not including AS are red-eyes...oh yeah, AS doesn't know what they are doing. No one wants a red-eye (sarcasim)

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

flyboyaz

Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:28 am

The only problem with late arrivals from what I hear is the crime problems in MEX. HP has/had a flight that gets in just after midnight and I heard several passengers say they did not like the arrival time because of the security issues of getting in that late. Maybe an early morning arrival isn't so bad...I dunno.
Catch a ride on a smile!

juventus

Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:42 am

UA better than Alaska? I don't think so. This particular route, LAX-MEX is already a success, and it just started...

kwbl

Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:53 am

IIRC, Bicoastal does not like Alaska because back in the days where they served meals, AS would include a little prayer card and he was offended. Therefore, they are not a real airline in his opinion.

wedgetail737

Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:50 am

Alaska still serves a hot snack on longer flights and a prayer cards are still distributed with the snack.

United better than AS??? I don't think so! AS has far superb service than UA.

As others say, if you don't like AS, then you have other choices!

Airlinerfreak
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:57 am

I love AS, I just want to make that point. I just don't love the flight times. I have to be in MEX for an evening dinner on October 14th and I have to leave on October 16th in the evening. Too bad they did not add that second flight down to MEX before the end of October. I do have to go down to MEX once again so I will be looking to take AS on that second trip down. I did not know that AS was adding that second service, so I have to give you guys at AS credit!! Very smart, did not think of it this way. Thank you for all the replies as well.

wedgetail737

Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:03 am

I hope no offense was taken by your opening comments, AirlineFreak. I hope you found a good fare to MEX...I hope you are flying Mexicana or Aeromexico over UAL, though.

DouglasDC8

Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:05 am

"prayer cards are still distributed with the snack"

Why? What's the point of a prayer card? I hate when people try to push THEIR religions on me! Just leave me alone!!!!

as739x

Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:07 am

Airlinerfreak: No worries. You have to remember that with a route that needs to be awarded, we can not plan A/C for the route far out when its up in the air if you know what I mean. If AS knew they were going to get MEX farther out, they could have planned the system accordingly. So what AS did was use a -700 that would have been sitting overnight to do the turn. And on top of that, the red-eye is , as said before, a good time for many MEX travelers. This is also why the 2nd daily flight was delayed. We had to wait for a schedule change when we had the A/C available to start our morning flight.

ASSFO

stirling

Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:29 am

Quoting Flyboyaz (Reply 14):
The only problem with late arrivals from what I hear is the crime problems in MEX.

And the same could be said about most US airports late at night as well.
Generally, I feel quite safe in Mexico no matter the time of day.
Delete this User

HPRamper

Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:48 am

Don't fly Alaskan. Try a real airline like United

AS has much better service than UA. On-time is the only real problem here.

Quoting ASA_737 (Reply 5):
Do you have to be losing money or be bankrupt before you become "real"?

Actually, AS isn't making any money either last time I checked. They are basically treading water, right on the line between red and black. Small profits or losses notwithstanding, I'm talking in general terms.

Quoting Douglasdc8 (Reply 20):
I hate when people try to push THEIR religions on me! Just leave me alone!!!!

Uh oh, do we really want to go there again?  Yeah sure

rojo

Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:14 am

Are they complete and total morons for deciding to do that? Why would I want to fly through the night to get to MEX?

As said before, this is the first of two flights AS will have on the route. For us, living in Mexico, that flights is excellent, since we can spend all day in LAX and arrive early in the morning to work. UA just started a flight MEX-LAX-MEX on june 5 with same departure times as Alaksa's flight, just to give passengers morning and evening departures from MEX and morning and night departures from LAX with good times for connections.

This flights are so popular that MX has 3 flights LAX-MEX departing between 11pm and 2pm, UA and AS have one each, so you can see for yourself!

fly727

Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:50 am

And people... It's ALASKA AIRLINES, not ALASKAN.

RM!
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

adriaticus

Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:56 am

Who would want to fly AS having the chance of flying MX or AM, far better airlines, full onboard service, complimentary alc, several available schedules, SkyTeam miles?

Sheeess...

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

MAH4546

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:04 am

Quoting Adriaticus (Reply 26):
Who would want to fly AS having the chance of flying MX or AM, far better airlines, full onboard service, complimentary alc, several available schedules, SkyTeam miles?

Sheeess...

Sheees? Could you be more ignorant? Not everyone wants to fly AM and MX.
a.

Airlinerfreak
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:16 am

Sorry to burst your bubble but I do not fly the Sky Team network. Not that I have anything against them, just I have always been in the AA and oneworld network along with star alliance. Also MX and AM are not far better. Having flown to MEX and other Mexican destination, on AM, MX, UA, AS, AA, and also HP, I have found AS and AA to be the best. MX and AM are no different than any other airline, and I find their first product to be a bit lacking.

LeoDF

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:26 am

What terminal does Alaska arrive to? I've been told Tom Bradley is the best, since you don't get mixed up with all Asian and South American carriers leaving passengers and having to pass migration.

If Alaska does arrive at Tom Bradley (of course for us non US citizens), it could be a very interesting choice and one of the best prices also... $300USD!!!

Saludos!

A. De Leo
Lloyd Aereo Boliviano

Airlinerfreak
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:35 am

Yes they have to arrive in TBIT as Terminal 3 does not have its own customs facilty. Also it is far less than $300. I got it for $267.50 and also an upgrade. But I can not leave at the times offered.

avpilot01

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:17 am

You have choices. Don't fly Alaskan. Try a real airline like United. They're the best

Uhhhhh, yeahhhh, hasn't UA been in bankruptcy for the past 3 years????

AS907

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:39 am

You have choices. Don't fly Alaskan. Try a real airline like United. They're the best.

The only thing I can think of is that Bicoastal was being sarcastic... no one in their right mind would say something like this and mean it. And everyone seems to have scared him off, haha.

stirling

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:13 am

Actually, when I fly Alaska, I do get SkyTeam miles.....on Continental.
OnePass.
Why would I care about free booze when I don't drink?

Alaska works for me, and a few more other people I'd imagine as well....
Delete this User

HikesWithEyes

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:21 am

Complimentary a/c?
De que estas hablando? un avion dice al otro, "te ves muy bien, hoy?"
First, benzene in my Perrier, and now this!

ASMD80

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:06 am

Quoting Airlinerfreak (Reply 28):

Sorry to burst your bubble but I do not fly the Sky Team network. Not that I have anything against them, just I have always been in the AA and oneworld network along with star alliance.

Sorry to burst your bubble (again), but you can earn AA elite-qualifying miles, and you can earn AS miles on AA, CO, DL and NW, too. You can also earn AA miles on MX.

Quoting ASA_737 (Reply 5):
Why is UA a "real" airline oppose to Alaska? Do you have to be losing money or be bankrupt before you become "real"?

UA is an airline oppose to AS because they pretty much compete on a lot of West Coast routes, both was connecting and O&D traffic.

[Edited 2005-09-06 04:30:26]
Some things are actually better at 30,000+ feet...

Airlinerfreak
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:17 am

Quoting ASMD80 (Reply 35):
Sorry to burst your bubble (again), but you can earn AA elite-qualifying miles, and you can earn AS miles on AA, CO, DL and NW, too. You can also earn AA miles on MX.

What was the point in that comment, I travel with oneworld, and I always will. I have no desire to earn AS miles but AA miles. Also only one of those airlines is in the oneworld network. Do not know why you mentioned CO, DL, and NW.

Quoting ASMD80 (Reply 35):
Stop debating and complaing about the inconvinent times. Just take the usual UA, AM or MX for now. If you decide to go to MEX after October, then take AS. Sorry to say that about AS, but it seems very pointless debating about it now.

Stop embarrassing yourself and making pointless comments, I was just simply inquiring on why AS was operating at the current flight times they are.

laca773

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:24 am

1) Will they keep these flights as 73Gs or will they eventually upgrade them to 738s or 739s since they are doing so well.

2) Are they doing full catering on this service like AM, MX & UA do? If so, I'm sure it's quite nice and better than anything AA or DL offer on similar routes either out of LA or any other city they fly to in Mexico.

3) How can I put together the full LAX-MEX-LAX schedules to do comparisons?

Finally, since I've always had wonderful service on AS, I will definitely try them to MEX. I'm sure their F product is just as nice as MX or AM and I feel they are better than AA.

Have a goodnight.
LACA773

ASMD80

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:35 am

Quoting Airlinerfreak (Reply 36):
Stop embarrassing yourself and making pointless comments, I was just simply inquiring on why AS was operating at the current flight times they are.

Don't look now, but I just deleted the comment that provoked your flaming.

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 37):

2) Are they doing full catering on this service like AM, MX & UA do?

AS timetable shows "Snack" in F, andI really don't know about Y. I'm sure that AS will provide just bevrage service, as this is a redeye.
Some things are actually better at 30,000+ feet...

Avioneto

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:46 am

MX Is the best option LAX-MEX and the leader on the route... Want tequila??? no need to spend 5 bucks...
El Avioneto Jr. MMMX

ASFlyer

Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:06 pm

AS serves warm, freshly baked cookies right after departure in Y, then just prior to arrival a warm breakfast pastry. In F, right after departure a snack/appetizer plate then just prior to arrival fruit and a pastry. The return is a full hot breakfast. The new flight, to begin next month, will be a hot lunch LAX-MEX and a hot dinner on the return, in both F and Y.

fly727

Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:09 pm

Quoting HikesWithEyes (Reply 34):
Complimentary a/c?
De que estas hablando? un avion dice al otro, "te ves muy bien, hoy?"

Funny comment, unfortunately you didn't read very well.... it was not a "/" but an italic "l", so the sentence was: Complimentary "alc" (for alcohol).

It was funny though.

RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

737-990

Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:45 pm

Quoting Airlinerfreak (Reply 18):
I did not know that AS was adding that second service, so I have to give you guys at AS credit!! Very smart, did not think of it this way. Thank you for all the replies as well.

OK Airlinerfreak, your off the hook. Your initial post was pretty harsh but glad to see you changed your mind.

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 37):
Will they keep these flights as 73Gs or will they eventually upgrade them to 738s or 739s since they are doing so well.

I would expect to see at least one of the daily flights to go to the 738 eventually, probably next year. We currently only have 3 in service but 35 more are on their way starting next year. The 738s are better suited to serve MEX than the 739s which would face performance problems due to the altitude.
Happiest is a man who has his vocation as a hobby

as739x

Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:45 pm

LACSA, look for LAX-MEX to become a -800 once we are established on the route and enought -800 are online. There are 6 737-800 coming next year in which I'd expect LAX-MEX to see at least one on.

ASSFO

wedgetail737

Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:52 pm

I thought MX was part of the AA network now. Can you earn AAvantage miles on MX now or has that happened yet? You could always book the AA codeshare flight and get miles.

Airlinerfreak
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:15 pm

Quoting Wedgetail737 (Reply 44):
I thought MX was part of the AA network now. Can you earn AAvantage miles on MX now or has that happened yet? You could always book the AA codeshare flight and get miles.

Yes you get AAdvantage miles on MX. You have been able to for some time now.

AR385

Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:04 am

What I don't understand is why airlines are so interested in this route in particular. From what I know, the market is saturated and while load factors may be high, the margins are measly. MH tried the same and soon had to give up, even with unbelievable promotions on its F product. Am I right?

rojo

Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:40 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 46):
What I don't understand is why airlines are so interested in this route in particular. From what I know, the market is saturated and while load factors may be high, the margins are measly. MH tried the same and soon had to give up, even with unbelievable promotions on its F product. Am I right?

Nope, MH never gave up the MEX-LAX route, their 5th freedom rights were taken by the Mexican government thanks to MX and AM recurring complaints. The great benefit of MH was the belly of the plane, and most of our paisanos were flying with them because they could take as many boxes as they wanted without being denied (even if they paid excess baggage) due to lack of space or airplane weight limits.

Without 5th freedom rights, the flight became a MEX-KUL via LAX and yields plummeted.

The MEX-LAX market is indeed saturated but the strategy of AS and UA is to take a bigger piece of the market (reducing MX and AM's market share) by filling the airplane with O&D traffic and connecting passengers (AS and UA hubs). Right now there is a fare war in this market and all airlines are offering a cheap $267USD return tax included fare. Lets see how long it lasts...

ghost77

Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:26 am

Quoting Rojo (Reply 47):
Right now there is a fare war in this market and all airlines are offering a cheap $267USD return tax included fare. Lets see how long it lasts...

It will last! AS, UA, DL, COEX, etc are offering real low fares to Mexico and viceversa, sometimes because there's no competition on route (specially beaches) and they get good loads at moderate yields which help them get cash to do things, while on the opposite, markets covered by CINTRA are subsidized by the US market, they offer good and low fares to Mexicans to fly to their hubs, call it IAH, DFW, ATL, EWR, LAX, JFK, MIA making people think they got the best fare, but they pay normal fares when connecting at this hubs previously mentioned (specially when flying overseas to Europe or Asia)! The one's who benefit the most are O/D's pax, but pax in transit they pay first a low fare and then a supreme fare!

Ricardo APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

EddieDude

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:56 pm

Quoting Flyboyaz (Reply 14):
The only problem with late arrivals from what I hear is the crime problems in MEX. HP has/had a flight that gets in just after midnight and I heard several passengers say they did not like the arrival time because of the security issues of getting in that late.

That is nonsense. Once you land and retrieve your bags, you just have to walk to the terminal's taxi base and take a cab that is 100% safe in order to make it to your destination. I don't see how that can be unsafe.

Quoting Airlinerfreak (Reply 28):
Also MX and AM are not far better.

I have never had the opportunity of flying AS, but hope I will someday soon. Nonetheless, compared with AA and DL (just to name their U.S. partner airlines), MX and AM are, respectively, miles ahead in terms of service standards and food and drinks.

Quoting Rojo (Reply 47):
the flight became a MEX-KUL via LAX

Actually, MEX-TPE-KUL via LAX. Let's not forget that between LAX and KUL, MH's flights stop at TPE.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738