centrair

Possible Massive Diversions 9/6 (Tyhoon Nabi)

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:36 pm

It looks like Tyhoon Nabi (14th of the season), might make landfall over Kyushu and effect traffic at FUK, HIJ, KMQ, OKJ, KIX, HND, NKM, NGO, and TOY. But if it goes straight up the archipelago, it will effect every airport in Japan. But if it turns at Kyushu and goes straight it could hit PUS, JCJ, SEL and ICN.

In this case, what happens? I can understand diversions between close airports but what about a whole country where the nearest airports are also going to be affected. Could we see diverstions to Russia or China?

[Edited 2005-09-05 07:46:33]
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

dogfighter2111

RE: Possible Massive Diversions 9/6 (Tyhoon Nabi)

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:00 pm

I'd think that all domestic flights from Tokyo would be grounded and any other flights heading to Japan I would assume would get diverted to various Airports in Eastern China.

Thanks
Mike

Carpethead

RE: Possible Massive Diversions 9/6 (Tyhoon Nabi)

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:20 pm

There's very few intercontinental routes out of airports other than KIX or NRT. These will probably divert to CTS, NRT, or HND which will be spared the brunt of the typhoon. Regional flights by foreign carriers will simply be cancelled from their base of operations.

There are no flights going to/from southern Kyushu island at the moment and will probably expand to northern Kyushu island by tomorrow.