DouglasDC8
Topic Author

UA Employees Describe MSY Flights

Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:31 am

A friend of mine from UA showed me an internal United Newsletter. While this posting deals with United employee's experiences, I bet all of the airline people involved with the relief effort are experiencing profound emotions... I have not included the last names of the people interviewed to protect their privacy. So here's the "meat" of the "Newsreal".

"Chicago based Flight Attendant Jacqueline XXXXX, who flew the relief trip on Friday, said 'some people had been on the flight the day before and tried to prepare us. The people we were evacuating hadn't showered or slept. They had health issues. We tried to take it all into consideration. I made an announcement about finding your seatbelts and told them how to find the orange button above their heads, so they could ring it if they needed help. I showed them how to work the air vents.

'Some people gave us hugs as they were getting off the plane,' she said. 'One said "This is the most food I've had in four days." That's why I wanted to volunteer. You see it on the news, see pictures in the paper, but unless you see these people up close, you can't imagine what they've gone through.

'I really feel honored to have worked the flight. We made some nice announcements-we said "Please know that we are honored and privileged to serve you on this flight. You're in our prayers and in our thoughts." '

"Chicago Ramp Serviceman Larry XXXXX worked the first relief flight last Thursday. He says 'We didn't really know what to expect. I don't think anybody did. We say things on TV, and we didn't know if there would be thousands of people cramming to get on the plane. There were reports of looting and violence.

'The Delta concourse, where a hospital was set up, looked like something out the middle ages,' he continued. 'People were lying in the hallways on stretchers, and there weren't people to meet them, like you'd expect in an emergency. We brought paramedics with us on the flight. The helicopters were landing at the Delta concourse, and they were taking stretcher after stretcher off and putting them on belt loaders.'

Of the mood on the aircraft on the way back, XXXXX said 'there were people on the plane who had never flown before, and who didn't know where all their family members were, but they felt it was best to get themselves and their children out. One guy I talked to had been on a school roof for a couple of days. They were happy to be somewhere warm and safe for a while.'"

Once again, I'm not posting this as a "great for United" post, but to give a-netters a glimpse of the professionalism that ALL of the airline employees are showing during this tragedy.

I've always been proud of aviation professionals who save the day while they are "just doing my job".

lincoln

RE: UA Employees Describe MSY Flights

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:19 am

Wow... Thanks for posting that, I've wondered what was going throgh the people working the flights minds.

One question, since I've never been through MSY...

Quoting DouglasDC8 (Thread starter):
'The Delta concourse, where

Is this the D-as-in-Delta concourse or the Delta Airlines concourse?

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

DeltaMIA

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:25 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 1):

Ironically they are one in the same.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

BN747

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:47 am

Great post Douglas DC8! appreciate the insight.

Clearly, many of these people have never flown before because many are so destitute.

One local in speaking with a reporter said " Many people were afraid to board the helicopters hovering above their homes/apts etc.. because they did NOT have the money nor they afford to pay for the helicopter airfare...

...that's right, many are actually believed they had to pay for the actual rescue helicopter lift...

We can get so removed.. detach from the way some people live... that their mindset actually becomes foreign to those of us who are more fortunate.

BN747

[Edited 2005-09-07 04:49:03]
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

F27XXX

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:35 pm

Whats nice is to see all the airlines pitching in and taking down all the barriers possible to help people. It's a shame it takes sometihng like this to bring out such a human side to this industry, working in which all too often ends up so routine and staff get so jaded, we as passengers forget what a great and special bunch of humans (yes, humans!) most airline people are!

My hats off to all of you who so compassionately are helping out. From the flight deck crews to the cabin crews to the ground support crews, you'll be remembered for it for a long time to come!

Tony
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

DouglasDC8
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:43 pm

Thanks for all of your thanks!

aogdesk

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:58 pm

The best part about reading these is knowing that there are thousands of airline employees who would have jumped at the chance to serve those victims. It sounds rather odd to say those (employees) quoted above were 'fortunate', but I think its safe to say that they spoke for all of us within the ranks of the industry. Excellent work UA (and everyone else who was even remotely involved in the rescue effort).

ramprat74

Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:50 pm

My coworker and friend works at MSY. I befriended him back in 1993 while both of us were in CS training in SFO. We both ran into each other while we were working in DEN in the late 90's. I transferred to PDX in 98 and haven't kept in touch with him. I didn't know he transferred back to MSY. I found out that he was on one of those rescue flights to ORD. I'm trying to find out what hotel he is saying out, so I can send some money to him.

Whataboutme

Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:50 pm

Douglas
Thanks for the post. Hats off to everyone that has help out in America's time of need. I sit here in my house typing this on my computer while watching VH-1 knowing that over a million people at this time has not had a shower and out looking for love ones. I feel guilty cause I am safe and I know where all my love ones are. How most of us take things for granted and you have the employees of all the airlines out doing there part to bring these people to safety. God Bless you all and your support.
Just to let everyone know, my roommate and I are talking about adopting an animal that was effected and can not find their owner.

chrisa330

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:40 am

Slightly off topic, but here's comments from the AC crew that worked the relief flights. Quite eye opening...

http://www.achorizons.ca/en/issues/2005/september/comments.htm

707lvr

Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:55 am

Not off-topic at all, Chris. Quite moving, and I'm sure very sincerely appreciated.

flybynight

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:47 am

What is the condition of MSY? I believe only emergency/rescue flights are coming and going at this point.

Glad to see the airlines helping, especially since they themselves have gotten hit as well with the hurricane (higher fuel cost for one).

A nice big cruise ship should come in to New Orleans and take people out!
Heia Norge!

trekster

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting Flybynight (Reply 11):
A nice big cruise ship should come in to New Orleans and take people out

Funny you shoul dmention that.
I heard they are chartering a crusie ship or 2?? Or was i just dreaming about that
Where does the time go???

LV

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:48 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 12):
Quoting Flybynight (Reply 11):
A nice big cruise ship should come in to New Orleans and take people out

Funny you shoul dmention that.
I heard they are chartering a crusie ship or 2?? Or was i just dreaming about that

The government has chartered 3 cruise ships for six months to use as temporary housing.

DouglasDC8
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:55 am

Yes, the US federal government has leased 3 cruise ships from Carnival to be docked in Galveston. However, I heard on a news report that the evacuees were terrified by the idea of being on a ship in the water! They expressed a desire to remain inland. I don't know if they've found people to stay on them yet.

PlaneFreaknATL

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:18 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 1):
One question, since I've never been through MSY...

Quoting DouglasDC8 (Thread starter):
'The Delta concourse, where

Just a little FYI on MSY - Continental, America West and JetBlue also use Concourse D.

I'm flying into MSY two weeks from tomorrow - hopefully, so I'm interested to see what the conditions at the airport will be at that point.

CcrlR

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:25 am

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 6):
The best part about reading these is knowing that there are thousands of airline employees who would have jumped at the chance to serve those victims. It sounds rather odd to say those (employees) quoted above were 'fortunate', but I think its safe to say that they spoke for all of us within the ranks of the industry. Excellent work UA (and everyone else who was even remotely involved in the rescue effort).

If I had the chance, I would do this too. That was very thoughtful of the employees and they are appreciated for this.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

United_fan

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:25 am

Those cruise ships are gonna be trashed after 6 months IMHO .
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

aogdesk

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:41 am

Quoting ChrisA330 (Reply 9):
comments from the AC crew that worked the relief flights

Thanks for that link Chris, humbling and eye-opening describes it well. Sent it to some colleagues that are headed down there to help them set up phone access again.

Humanity at its best.

longhaulheavy

Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:06 am

Quoting United_Fan (Reply 17):

I'm with you on that. But Carnival is getting $192 million for the privilege.

Gilligan

Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:13 am

Quoting United_Fan (Reply 17):

I wonder if they were scheduled for a refit before the hurricane hit?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

United_fan

Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:43 am

Yeah,I doubt they sent the best and freshest of the fleet there . I don't mean to be nasty,but I'm sure they took the good stuff out before hand.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

pualani

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:10 pm

The American Transport Association issued a request for all airlines to help with the evacuation and my airline was more than willing to pitch in but the lack of proper ground handling equipment to handle 767 aircraft was lacking.

I know I would have donated my time to assist if asked. My prayers go out to the survivors of Katrina and my thanks to those airline employees who are contributing in the only way they can....with compassion and care.

pualani

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos