Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Alexander Calderon Angulo
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Alexander Calderon Angulo

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Roberto espinoza

Aeropostal Alas de Centroamérica (Wings of Central America) first plane (a DC-9-15), TI-AZS,
has been spotted at SJO wearing the Costa Rican flag and registration, as well as the www.aeropostal.co.cr titles.

This airline is owned 65% by Costa Rican investors, and 35% by Nelson Ramiz (owner of mainline Aeropostal - Alas de Venezuela, and also 49% shareholder of AeroHonduras - airline that also flies planes that leave Aeropostal mainline fleet in the great northern Central American area). He's the director of both.

They'll have to work hard to break TACA's monopoly in the region (mostly on nonstop flights from SJO, COPA has a big role too but connecting at PTY).

Apparently the Costa Rican Aviation Authority (DGAC) is putting a lot of "buts" to let them take off. (it's said TACAs interests are handled at DGAC- the CR authority) and they'll do the impossible not to let this airline operate. This 3rd world BS will never let us get out of the hole. But we seem to love it this way.

Almost 20 years ago there was another Costa Rican airline start-up, Aero Costa Rica (mainly of US capital) made an attempt for what Aeropostal will try once again: break out TACA's monopoly, and bring low fares to Central, North and South American destinations. Aero Costa Rica served destinations such as Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, San Andrés Island, Bogota (from what I recall of a truck yesterday with the trailer advertising this airline) so they all might not be correct and there may be some others.

View Large View Medium

Photo © JetPix
View Large View Medium

Photo © JetPix

View Large View Medium

Photo © Omar Zekria
View Large View Medium

Photo © Allan Rossmore

--
Well, this new airline was said to start operations since March 2004, but things are moving slowly as you can see. Apparently FLL, BOG, SAL, ADZ and LIM are their start-out intended destinations. It's said that more DC-9's and MD-8X's are going to arrive every 3 months for the next 12-24 months (rumors say next one is coming in December)

So I was wondering if anyone knows anything else about this airline, support/decline above mentioned statements, and also, information on the planes they are getting (so far info on what was of TI-AZS before it became... TI-AZS...)

Well I just hope they do well, break down TACA's imperium, GET A NEW LIVERY -SOON- and bring more variety to SJO/LIR traffic.

All I know so far!
Saludos;
_A

carmenlu15

RE: It's Here: Aeropostal Alas De Centroamérica

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:11 am

Interesting news here...

Quoting N506CR (Thread starter):
Apparently FLL, BOG, SAL, ADZ and LIM are their start-out intended destinations.

SAL? If what they say about TA's interests in CR is true, they will have a hell of a lot more trouble obtaining route authorities to SAL (that is, if their claims are true, which I don't know for sure and should be discussed separately)

I see a bright future with those routes. Unlike other Central American airports  sarcastic  , SJO is CAT I, which should work to their advantage for further U.S. expansion.

Do you think they might add GUA to the list in the future?  Smile

and also 49% shareholder of AeroHonduras

A little off-topic, but what has become of AeroHonduras? Last I heard, they had to suspend operations indefinitely, are they back in action yet?

So, best wishes to them, it's always good to see Central American aviation expanding!

Saludos  airplane 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

MGA

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:41 am

Nicaraguans are to Costa Rica what Mexicans are to Los Angeles. If you start a cheap SJO-MGA-SJO route, they will come....

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

n506cr

Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:00 am

Does anyone know if the planes that will be added to the fleet will be from mainline Aeropostal or they instead will get some MD-80's from the desert yards?

Also, what was this plane's YV- registration number?

thx_A

aer

Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:22 pm

Nice to hear this, we will wait to say ¡Bienvenidos! to them at GUA when they decide to come. I hope they have their site up and running fast.

They'll have to work hard to break TACA's monopoly in the region

Amen to that!

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 1):
A little off-topic, but what has become of AeroHonduras?

Good question I've been wondering the same thing, I haven't seen them in the reservation systems for a while.

Off the topic, I heard WU cancelled its CUN flight. According to Amadeus they haven't (it also says they are flying to HAV and BZE) but their web page says different. Carmenlu, do you know if this is true? If it is, sad sad sad!

[Edited 2005-09-10 06:31:53]
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

stirling

Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:31 pm

Aeropostal sounds like a "MAIL" carrier.
But postal must mean something else?
Delete this User

LAXintl

Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:51 pm

Great to see some competition for TACA.

With the US having open skies with most of Central America maybe one day we will see them on US soil.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

miamix707

Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:22 am

Almost 20 years ago there was another Costa Rican airline start-up, Aero Costa Rica (mainly of US capital) made an attempt for what Aeropostal will try once again: break out TACA's monopoly, and bring low fares to Central, North and South American destinations. Aero Costa Rica served destinations such as Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, San Andrés Island, Bogota (from what I recall of a truck yesterday with the trailer advertising this airline) so they all might not be correct and there may be some others.

Not quite that long ago, 1992. As far as I know in the US they only flew to Miami and Orlando. I sure miss their good looking livery! Lacsa also flew to these destinations, sharp colors they had as well. Would do anything to see those pretty Costa Rican planes in the sky again.

Tired of TACAs super boring looking white airbuses that look like a medicine pill. Hopefully this cute looking -9 of Aeropostal alas de centro america will make it to the US  Smile

Avianca

Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:45 am

great news!!!!

but with such old aircrafts....I hope they will doing good and get soon newer airplanes...

regards
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

carmenlu15

RE: It's Here: Aeropostal Alas De Centroam�rica

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:53 am

Quoting Aer (Reply 4):
Off the topic, I heard WU cancelled its CUN flight. According to Amadeus they haven't (it also says they are flying to HAV and BZE) but their web page says different. Carmenlu, do you know if this is true? If it is, sad sad sad!

My first reaction was NOOOOOOOO!!!!!  eek  ...

... but according to their res center, flight has been suspended due to a/c maintenance and will resume in November. That sounds much better  Smile

But the title displayed on their website could use an update... Monterrey? Ft. Lauderdale? WTF?

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 7):
Tired of TACAs super boring looking white airbuses that look like a medicine pill.

Don't call me a medicine pill!

Signed,
N981LR
View Large View Medium

Photo © Nathan Zalcman

Wink
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

PRAirbus

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:07 am

No bright future trying to start w/an ancient 1960's jet. If they want to compete they would need to emulate TACA, COPA or LAN. They will not be around for long. Most Latinamerican carriers are introducing new and reliable fleets, this is obviously a desperate attempt to add more capacity. Time will tell.

luisca

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:13 am

Most likely Taca and Copa will crush them. With one old rustbucket they cant posibly try to compete against Brand NEW A320's and 737's. What happens when this plane starts to break down and this airline gets a reputation of bad on time, unreliability, etc.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

n506cr

Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:35 pm

Well, found a couple new pics this time from SJO's control tower.

I don't think they will make much money having their plane(s) grounded forever... (since they announced their first flight to GUA since May 04 I think it's getting kinda late by now...)

well here they are:

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Roberto espinoza
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Roberto espinoza

I really hope they get those baby 9s in the air... soon...

luisde8cd

RE: It's Here: Aeropostal Alas De Centroam�rica

Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:39 pm

Quoting N506CR (Reply 12):
Well, found a couple new pics this time from SJO's control tower.

I don't think they will make much money having their plane(s) grounded forever... (since they announced their first flight to GUA since May 04 I think it's getting kinda late by now...)

well here they are:

Thanks for the pics, they look great. Hopefully they will soon get off the ground.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

viasa

Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:18 am

Quoting N506CR (Reply 3):
Also, what was this plane's YV- registration number?

No futer informations about that?!?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos